What's new

Is there a dedicated Run Button, or not?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
They could have made the dash non-block cancelable, but use a run button that allows dash to run cancels. That would have allowed specials and run to be canceled from dash, but prevented dash blocking.
Another I would add is for simplicity purposes. Not having a dedicated Run button keeps MKX a 5-button fighter. And they can't map it to flip stance button because that's 3+4 and it would make it awkward to cancel into other moves.

I understand the pain of you OG guys but I personally prefer it this way

trufenix

bye felicia
Originally I was hoping there would be some kind universal run cancel, like Injustice's bounce cancel, but seeing how many moves are dash cancellable now I think there's going to be a ton of combo options.

Noob
Another I would add is for simplicity purposes. Not having a dedicated Run button keeps MKX a 5-button fighter. And they can't map it to flip stance button because that's 3+4 and it would make it awkward to cancel into other moves.

I understand the pain of you OG guys but I personally prefer it this way
Exactly the reason you remove the useless flip stance button.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
My hand could never reach the run button in the arcade. It always felt slapped on to me. It was too instant as well. Forcing a double tap motion makes run-canceling harder and less abuse-able. It's a good thing.

haketh

Noob
It was too instant as well. Forcing a double tap motion makes run-canceling harder and less abuse-able. It's a good thing.
It really doesn't make it less abusable, many games have dash/run pressure that works on double tap & people execute that flawlessly.

Noob
It really doesn't make it less abusable, many games have dash/run pressure that works on double tap & people execute that flawlessly.
Yeah, in MK9, there were string where you could buffer the dash during a the final move's animation and the dash would come out immediately afterward. I assume that holds true here, and all you do is buffer the dash and hold block and you get the move followed by run.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
It's pretty obvious they are trying to cater more towards the competitive side than in the past. Cancelling dashes with block in MK9 was clunky and lame. MKX is basically forcing you to walk back and forth and to use your head on when to run or back dash since they cost stamina. I also believe thats why projectiles seem to have been toned down..to cater to the new movement.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I was wondering about canceling strings/normals into runs. Curious if it's possible that it would affect the block-advantage of moves.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Exactly the reason you remove the useless flip stance button.
The flip stance button(mapped from 3+4) is used to do XRays. If the flip stance button were to be a button of its own without being a 3+4 shortcut, your suggestion would work. But seeing as it is like it is, cancelling into other moves from a 3+4 run would be weird.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Yeah, I guess it's not necessarily less abuseable, it just makes it easier to execute and less tiring, also instant. Movement that good shouldn't be so easy as a button press, imo.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
if this is gonna involve the block button, it needs to work like this to avoid running when u don't want, you have to double tap forward and hold it down on the 2nd tap while pressing block.

Noob
The flip stance button(mapped from 3+4) is used to do XRays. If the flip stance button were to be a button of its own without being a 3+4 shortcut, your suggestion would work. But seeing as it is like it is, cancelling into other moves from a 3+4 run would be weird.
Obviously all of this is a moot point because a Run button isn't incorporated, so our conversation is strictly hypothetical. That said, I think you're not looking at it from the point of view of MK being a 6 button game, which is what I'm trying to explain.

Let's assume that in MK9, Flip Stance was "Button 6"
Likewise, let's also label the additional macro buttons like this:

Flip Stance: 6
Throw: 7
Tag: 8

Both the PS3/4 and Xbox 360/One have 4 face buttons, 4 top buttons, and 2 buttons mapped to the click of the thumbsticks, totaling 10 usable in-game buttons for a standard system pad.

Most fightsticks have either 6 or 8 usable in-game buttons. (MK specific sticks have 6, Sanwa style usually have 8)

Let's go with the lowest common denominator, of 6 usable in-game buttons.

MK9 Layout

Front Punch 1
Back Punch 2
Front Kick 3
Back Kick 4
Block 5
Flip Stance 6 (3+4 macro)
Throw 7 (1+3 macro) (pad/sanwa stick only)
Tag 8 (pad/sanwa stick only)
Xray FS+Block OR 3+4+5

Proposed MKX Layout with run button

Front Punch 1
Back Punch 2
Front Kick 3
Back Kick 4
Block 5
Run 6
Flip Stance 8 (3+4 macro) (pad/sanwa stick only)
Xray FS+Block OR 3+4+5

Currently, the ONLY reason that Flip Stance exists is either for aesthetic purposes (Some people don't want their fighter's back to the screen, I guess), or, more importantly, as an Xray "enabler". Think about it, without Flip Stance, Xray is the block button, which you simply can't have. Instead, the flip stance button is used to "enable" the xray.

-If Tag mode isn't in the game, then the button is useless.
-Throw could be mapped to a thumbstick click or you can still mash 1+3 for a throw, it's not hard.
-Flip stance could be omitted entirely and just make Xray it's own button with a macro of 3+4+5

This is how you can make a Run button work. Again, all hypothetical and moot, but also since almost none of us have played the game, it's entirely possible that the way a run button would work, simply wouldn't work with the game's mechanics.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Obviously all of this is a moot point because a Run button isn't incorporated, so our conversation is strictly hypothetical. That said, I think you're not looking at it from the point of view of MK being a 6 button game, which is what I'm trying to explain.

Let's assume that in MK9, Flip Stance was "Button 6"
Likewise, let's also label the additional macro buttons like this:

Flip Stance: 6
Throw: 7
Tag: 8

Both the PS3/4 and Xbox 360/One have 4 face buttons, 4 top buttons, and 2 buttons mapped to the click of the thumbsticks, totaling 10 usable in-game buttons for a standard system pad.

Most fightsticks have either 6 or 8 usable in-game buttons. (MK specific sticks have 6, Sanwa style usually have 8)

Let's go with the lowest common denominator, of 6 usable in-game buttons.

MK9 Layout

Front Punch 1
Back Punch 2
Front Kick 3
Back Kick 4
Block 5
Flip Stance 6 (3+4 macro)
Tag 8 (pad/sanwa stick only)
Xray FS+Block OR 3+4+5

Proposed MKX Layout with run button

Front Punch 1
Back Punch 2
Front Kick 3
Back Kick 4
Block 5
Run 6
Flip Stance 8 (3+4 macro) (pad/sanwa stick only)
Xray FS+Block OR 3+4+5

Currently, the ONLY reason that Flip Stance exists is either for aesthetic purposes (Some people don't want their fighter's back to the screen, I guess), or, more importantly, as an Xray "enabler". Think about it, without Flip Stance, Xray is the block button, which you simply can't have. Instead, the flip stance button is used to "enable" the xray.

-If Tag mode isn't in the game, then the button is useless.
-Throw could be mapped to a thumbstick click or you can still mash 1+3 for a throw, it's not hard.
-Flip stance could be omitted entirely and just make Xray it's own button with a macro of 3+4+5

This is how you can make a Run button work. Again, all hypothetical and moot, but also since almost none of us have played the game, it's entirely possible that the way a run button would work, simply wouldn't work with the game's mechanics.
Pretty much

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
if this is gonna involve the block button, it needs to work like this to avoid running when u don't want, you have to double tap forward and hold it down on the 2nd tap while pressing block.
If you had to hold forward, you couldn't buffer moves during the run. Holding only the block button allows you to freely input multiple directions for specials.

I'm sure it's just a matter of practicing and won't be an issue once we learn the timing.