What's new

Question - Takeda Is Takeda a low tier hero?

hayatei

Noob
Shirai Ryu has 'pseudo unblockables' wouldnt really call that honest lol.
Some of his set ups into unblockables are close to being guaranteed and extremely hard to get out of since you have to guess between 3-4 different timing... Or u get a guaranteed ex kunai oki... Hes the opposite of honest imo

He was already mid tier before his buffs it's only a matter of time till someone place well at a major with him now

I dont wanna see the takeda community still downplaying him

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
Nah I play ronin, you have to work with him,have your spacing down ,your setups on point and your baits on god mode hes not just teleport left and right throw kunai boom win.

you actually have to work just as much with SR. the spacing in which you speak of has to be monitored very well with SR also . one false move and you eat damage just as Ronin would and if you get stuck in the corner with SR its GGS pretty much . esp vs the heavy hitting rush down characters . teleport is unsafe as hell. and can be swatted out, d2, njp etc on reaction - but if they arent punnishing me then yes im going to abuse it . also yes kunais are great but they are just as great as blade drop/call.. Ronin has better armor than SR with EX SRK and his pressure is just as good.

id say as of right now SR and Ronin are about equal and which one's better only is a matter of opinion and match up knowledge.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Some of his set ups into unblockables are close to being guaranteed and extremely hard to get out of since you have to guess between 3-4 different timing... Or u get a guaranteed ex kunai oki... Hes the opposite of honest imo

He was already mid tier before his buffs it's only a matter of time till someone place well at a major with him now

I dont wanna see the takeda community still downplaying him
This. Although I'd say he's one of the more honest characters in the neutral. One whiff and smart players will punish you hard, everything he has recovers horribly

ryublaze

Noob
I think he's A or A+ tier, a lot of people don't realize how good this character is now lol. Everyone's focused on Ronin after the patch but Shirai Ryu actually got the most out of this patch. Besides fast armor, Shirai Ryu has everything to be in that 7-12 spot (good damage, chip damage pressure, mobility, godlike footsies, easy conversions, + on block 50/50s, true vortex, pseudo unblockables, etc.).

Last edited:

ryublaze

Noob
you actually have to work just as much with SR. the spacing in which you speak of has to be monitored very well with SR also . one false move and you eat damage just as Ronin would and if you get stuck in the corner with SR its GGS pretty much . esp vs the heavy hitting rush down characters . teleport is unsafe as hell. and can be swatted out, d2, njp etc on reaction - but if they arent punnishing me then yes im going to abuse it . also yes kunais are great but they are just as great as blade drop/call.. Ronin has better armor than SR with EX SRK and his pressure is just as good.

id say as of right now SR and Ronin are about equal and which one's better only is a matter of opinion and match up knowledge.
idk i don't see how Ronin's tools are as good as Shirai Ryu's. The things you mentioned are general weaknesses that can be applied to every move in the game. Ronin does have better armor but not by much since it's punishable on block and doesn't launch. I don't think it's worth it giving up everything Shirai Ryu has just for that. I think kunais are way better than blade drop/kall, and SR might have better pressure idk. Maybe there's something I'm missing but I feel like I have to work a lot harder with Ronin than SR.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
idk i don't see how Ronin's tools are as good as Shirai Ryu's. The things you mentioned are general weaknesses that can be applied to every move in the game. Ronin does have better armor but not by much since it's punishable on block and doesn't launch. I don't think it's worth it giving up everything Shirai Ryu has just for that. I think kunais are way better than blade drop/kall, and SR might have better pressure idk. Maybe there's something I'm missing but I feel like I have to work a lot harder with Ronin than SR.
yeah I have pretty much always said until recently that sr slightly edged ronin but I'm finding more and more match ups where I feel ronin can go into the match just as strong as sr. least at the current skill level I'm at .(I'm not at your level yet so that could def play part in views) but still Sr is def my go to main , but I feel that the only thing holding me back from my ronin being just as good as my sr is my personal execution and not the variation itself . really do feel that ronin has the potential to be just a strong a force as sr, maybe a bit more work in some areas but I feel that it balances out with what sr lacks but ronin can capitalize on. But I wouldn't say there's something you are missing csuse a good chunk My sr knowledge I learned from you, and even by you saying this above it does make me rethink the possibilities of sr , but I truly believe that ronin can now hang with sr . there's starting to be match ups where I pick ronin or sr on a whim rather than feeling I need to always pick sr. (If that makes sense)
But I do feel that takeda is A

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Takeda is not low tier. I might feel like you have to work harder because he is not such a high pressure rush down character like Sonya or Raiden. Takeda's 50/50 and prwssure game requires more patience and finesse. I play Ronin, and I find the best way for me to play is to let the opponent come to me.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I don't see how anyone could consider Takeda lacking in any way Post Patch. This character is very very good. Both SR and Ronin are great variations.

We are still yet to see a Ronin tear up a tournament, which is sincerely expect to happen eventually. At least nobody seems to downplay him, for the most part people think the same way about him.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
The Takeda downplayers:
'Whiff a move and you get punished'

... this is something that can be said about almost every move in the game. however it is exceptionally hard to even miss with these long-ranged mid-hitting whips.

Besides not many characters get as much out of a knockdown. Propably only Quan Chi does, as he also has pseudo unblockables.

Both chars are pretty similar when it comes to dumbness...

Takeda does have his flaws, but he is no balanced 'spacing character'. The fact that spacing is pretty much the only thing one can make wrong with him, doesn't make him a footsie character either! :)

... then again for various reasons I am not allowed to say anything bad about Takeda, so forget all the true things I've said!

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
See the best thing about takeda is since the buffs.....each variation can now back each other up in certain match ups. It's not like some characters that have only one good variation or some that have 1 good one and one decent one.

.....although i still think lasher is booty.....just my opinion
Hahaha! You crack me up with the Lasher is booty stuff.

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
No one should downplay Takeda at this point. The only thing that gets me is all this debate between Shirai Ryu and Ronin while leaving Lasher out of the discussion. These three variations complement each other so well at this point in the game that it's stupid not to learn all three. @HomeLee1121 PLEASE play Lasher for a week but when you lab look for gaps that you can armor through with EX Whip Trip. Practice doing that consistently and observe the level of mind fuck your opponent reaches. People aren't used to playing a Takeda that reminds them of gaps in their pressure.

Look at how long you can delay an EX Whip Trip to crush wake ups (Surprisingly WHEN you see the flash you can start the move on alot of wake ups) Jax EX OH Dash Fist is one of the wake ups that the second you see the flash you can start the input and crush his wake up. You'll ACTUALLY get Jax to respect you.

Experiment with zoning with kunai, reading a jump, running in, and catching them with Whip Strike. Characters who run to close distance alot (like cassie) get caught with D+F 1 into whip trip ALL THE TIME. I know the execution is tricky and DF1 come out instead sometimes but it's worth learning. Do that 10/10 and and you'll look for all kinds of moments it'll save you in match ups you thought you were under soo much pressure.

Most importantly though, outside of hitting people with blade drop, blade kall combos, armoring with EX Whip Trip is one of the most satisfying feelings you'll ever experience playing Takeda.

End your combos mid screen with whip strike and run in to start your mix up game. If they wake up EX Whip Trip. If they block mix them up or throw. PUsh them to the corner and Lasher wrecks face!

EX Kunai Restand works in the conrer exactly the same as it does in Shirai Ryu so it's possible to get crazy damage with Lasher. Ex Whip Strike keeps opponents from jumping out of the corner and keeps them scared.

There's no reason to not play this variation just keep in mind your going to want to BULLY the opponent not just play defensively all the time.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler

Do you think SR is far and away the better variation?

I started SR but switched to Ronin and haven't gone back, but maybe I should?

Anyone have any match footage of good SR? Or can point me to a recent guide? I might need to re-learn this variation

No one should downplay Takeda at this point. The only thing that gets me is all this debate between Shirai Ryu and Ronin while leaving Lasher out of the discussion. These three variations complement each other so well at this point in the game that it's stupid not to learn all three. @HomeLee1121 PLEASE play Lasher for a week but when you lab look for gaps that you can armor through with EX Whip Trip. Practice doing that consistently and observe the level of mind fuck your opponent reaches. People aren't used to playing a Takeda that reminds them of gaps in their pressure.

Look at how long you can delay an EX Whip Trip to crush wake ups (Surprisingly WHEN you see the flash you can start the move on alot of wake ups) Jax EX OH Dash Fist is one of the wake ups that the second you see the flash you can start the input and crush his wake up. You'll ACTUALLY get Jax to respect you.

Experiment with zoning with kunai, reading a jump, running in, and catching them with Whip Strike. Characters who run to close distance alot (like cassie) get caught with D+F 1 into whip trip ALL THE TIME. I know the execution is tricky and DF1 come out instead sometimes but it's worth learning. Do that 10/10 and and you'll look for all kinds of moments it'll save you in match ups you thought you were under soo much pressure.

Most importantly though, outside of hitting people with blade drop, blade kall combos, armoring with EX Whip Trip is one of the most satisfying feelings you'll ever experience playing Takeda.

End your combos mid screen with whip strike and run in to start your mix up game. If they wake up EX Whip Trip. If they block mix them up or throw. PUsh them to the corner and Lasher wrecks face!

EX Kunai Restand works in the conrer exactly the same as it does in Shirai Ryu so it's possible to get crazy damage with Lasher. Ex Whip Strike keeps opponents from jumping out of the corner and keeps them scared.

There's no reason to not play this variation just keep in mind your going to want to BULLY the opponent not just play defensively all the time.
i just think its booty b/c i dont like it lol played it for a week and felt like he was slow for some reason......i just prefer the other 2 lol

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
the thing is is really dont think anyone is downplaying takeda at all. almost everyone that plays him consistently says that hes def good now. way better than he was before . i dont think ive seen one main say that he is low tier at all . cause hes def not. most people say hes A+ or A ( or top-tier to high mid tier) id say thats pretty good assessment of his standings. nobodys really saying hes bad or that he still needs any buffs anymore cause 99.9 % of us are pretty content with the way he plays now across all variations. even the few who play lasher are really set that this version is just as good as Sr and Ronin and they are out to prove it. i feel now there are more hiccups with the game itself than this character.

final stand ..
"takederr got guud" (*aris voice)