What's new

Move List - Kotal Kahn Is Kotal Khan too unsafe?

Sly Guy

Vampire Kotal.
I've been playing Kotal Khan for awhile now and he's been my favorite Character in MkX since launch. I know that Kotal has received some buffs in the past that has really helped his pressure game out a lot like when they changed his B1 to a mid, and a when they eliminated the gap in his (B1,2,2) string. But, I can't help but feel like Kotal's offense is still lacking and extremely punishable.

For example; Kotal's best strings: (B1,2,2) and (B1,4) are both by themselves unsafe. If you commit to these strings and they're blocked without special canceling, you will be punished. (B1,2,2) is -10 on block. I don't usually get punished by this online because of the 3-4 frames of delay that online usually has, but offline it's me eating 30+% damage every time. (B1,4) is -17 on block, and with it's 32 frames of recovery, this string easy to punish. This means I can't even finish a string starting in B1 and block to try and bait a reversal.

Special canceling B122 and B14 is also risky, because there is a gap between both strings and almost all of Kotal's specials. (Excluding [B1,2,2]*[EX-OHS]). {EXAMPLE}.
If you can make the most savages of reads, you don't even have to respect the low sword after (B1,4). Just go straight for the punish. {EXAMPLE} This means you can backdash, or reversal after EVERY string starting in B1. Even if you decide to use EX-OHS after (B1,2,2), all the opponent has to do is block it for an easy punish. It's even worse in Kotal's Blood God variation, because there is only one special worth using after any B1 string and that special is easy to beat with any fast poke or reversal.{EXAMPLE}

I know about Kotal's (1,1,4) string, but the fact that it start as high makes it easy for any character to poke out of at the start of the string. Also, it doesn't have any mix-up potential unless you're in Kotal's War God variation. This is the only string in which Kotal can safely force an opponent into a 50/50 mix-up.

What do you guys think? Is the all mighty Emperor too unsafe? Is his offense still lacking?

Beach

La mejor playa
6f pokes and a +1 string we can make +4/5 (Don't know specific number) and every variation has ways to scare people or add safety (Totems/Command grab and sword shenanigans). You don't necessarily have to commit to a b122 or b14 every time either, going into the full string every time is just poor play. Not to mention when the opponent has no meter, Kotal can chip like no tomorrow with some characters having ways out but of course it becomes a game of who reads who then.

Sly Guy

Vampire Kotal.
Lmao. Nah, guys. It's not a joke thread. I genuinely wanted to know what you guys thought. I know you can stagger you strings and what not to try and confuse your opponent, but that only works a couple of times against a good opponent before he starts catching on. And when you do eventually finish a string or special cancel it, they're easy to get out of.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Lmao. Nah, guys. It's not a joke thread. I genuinely wanted to know what you guys thought. I know you can stagger you strings and what not to try and confuse your opponent, but that only works a couple of times against a good opponent before he starts catching on. And when you do eventually finish a string or special cancel it, they're easy to get out of.
Fighting games

Hence why you need to be unpredictable with your pressure game. Always try to mix it up.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
on topic: if a character with that kind of speed / reach in his normals wouldnt have any kind of gap or be safe in some of his strings, it would be just pure crazyness.

then again, he has plus frames and safe options, so nope... he's not too unsafe

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
I find this annoying too. Kotal is my favorite, but against most good players they blow up the gaps to the point where his plus pressure is useless if I'm just wasting a bar to be interrupted and not even get the pressure. That's where baiting has to come in. Baiting is difficult though because b14 and b122 are negative so someone can punish regardless whether or not they intend to interrupt or punish the string. So I find myself in matches always staggering, it's a frustrating way to play. But such is life, he is a very well rounded character. The only thing that annoys me, more than constant interruptions and punishes on my hard guesses w low or oh sword, is the whiffing of 114. His amazing pressure string that can be xx'd into air grab for plus frames, but unfortunately this string can completely whiff the first 2 hits, 2nd hit, or just the 3rd hit which leaves you extremely whiff punishable. Fix this string and the gaps don't matter. Kotal is about scaring your opponent into making a mistake to get out of his pressure, then punish for high 30% or more depending on how hard the kotal read the mistake. If kotal didn't have gaps he would be insanely scary. But he has gaps and is also punishable. His whiffing issues on 114 are truly the only thing he really needs fixed. His strings are fine (though my personal favorite buff would be to make b12 and b14 less negative on block and b14 to have more hit adv similar to commandos 32), his specials are fine, the whiffs are not.

*keep in mind this is my opinion having nearly 10k matches with kotal, mainly war god but I do play all variations.

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
Also wouldn't mind it if sun ray had less recovery but that's a whole different situation...

Sly Guy

Vampire Kotal.
He's a great character, with a couple weaknesses. If B122 and B14 were both safe on block and could both cancel into swords without being interrupted, he might be too much.

Sun God and War God are awesome how they are, Blood God does need some help though
Don't get me wrong, Sun God (Which I don't play) is an amazing variation with his tick throws. For Blood God mains like me, opening up your opponent is a struggle when you can't bait reversals.

Beach

La mejor playa
Don't get me wrong, Sun God (Which I don't play) is an amazing variation with his tick throws. For Blood God mains like me, opening up your opponent is a struggle when you can't bait reversals.
While risky, if you know they want an armored reversal or just armor in general, block and or parry it and punish.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Whats stopping you from baiting reversals?