What's new

Is it possible to create an even HARDER difficulty setting?

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Hello...

Since many complain about the lackluster training mode (which apparently can't be patched and we'd have to wait for a new game if we want it to improve), how about an even harder difficult setting? Is this patch-able? While the AI is tough (its harder/impossible to do the same kind of cheap tactics you can use against a human player), it is extremely to defeat even on the expert setting. I believe this is because the AI doesn't use the character to its full potential. For example, the AI doesn't do Kung Lao's frame traps, doesn't exploit Reptiles dash punch, and forget about the AI actually using Sub Zero correctly.

As such, is there a way to patch a new INSANE or IMPOSSIBLE difficulty level? One in which the strategies that the top players have used could be implemented into the game? Not only would this be a good way to practice, it would actually give you good ideas on how to use your character as you can see the AI using him properly.

Even if they can't add a new difficult level, just replace Expert with Impossible, hard with expert, medium with expert etc. Honestly beginner is a waste of time as honestly the AI WILL NOT beat you unless you let it hit you once then wait for the time to run out. Back when my aunt was visiting, I would like my 3 year old niece "play" on beginer, and she would be able to get to the 4th or 5th fight before the AI would beat her, and she didn't even know how to move forward and back and she would just PRESS A BUTTON.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Hello...

Since many complain about the lackluster training mode (which apparently can't be patched and we'd have to wait for a new game if we want it to improve), how about an even harder difficult setting? Is this patch-able? While the AI is tough (its harder/impossible to do the same kind of cheap tactics you can use against a human player), it is extremely to defeat even on the expert setting. I believe this is because the AI doesn't use the character to its full potential. For example, the AI doesn't do Kung Lao's frame traps, doesn't exploit Reptiles dash punch, and forget about the AI actually using Sub Zero correctly.

As such, is there a way to patch a new INSANE or IMPOSSIBLE difficulty level? One in which the strategies that the top players have used could be implemented into the game? Not only would this be a good way to practice, it would actually give you good ideas on how to use your character as you can see the AI using him properly.

Even if they can't add a new difficult level, just replace Expert with Impossible, hard with expert, medium with expert etc. Honestly beginner is a waste of time as honestly the AI WILL NOT beat you unless you let it hit you once then wait for the time to run out. Back when my aunt was visiting, I would like my 3 year old niece "play" on beginer, and she would be able to get to the 4th or 5th fight before the AI would beat her, and she didn't even know how to move forward and back and she would just PRESS A BUTTON.
In Short, No. The problem is the AI is nothing more than pre programmed responses to your actions. The AI does not think, it cannot adapt, it cannot learn. No matter how difficult they attempt to make it, it is still nothing more than a complex series of patterns. Once that pattern is deciphered you can then manipulate the AI into doing what you want. At that point the game is over. There is nothing further to be gleaned from ladder mode.

Justice

Noob
There are two ways to make this game "harder":

1. Restrict your own gameplay. For example, try to win without using specials or uppercuts or whatever.

2. Find tougher human opponents to play against. Whether it be friends or new friends from your local scene or online. Playing against these people will up your game exponentially.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
:( <---- My contribution to this thread.

The lackluster amount of things to do in this game as a sole human being sucks.
Not even from a training perspective, just in general.

Ladder. Test Your Luck. Challenge Tower. That's it.

The problem, Justice, is that there's a bunch of us that are pretty much on our own, and in my case...all attempts to become supreme ruler of my respectives mains aside, sometimes i just wanna have some fun. And this game...doesn't do much in that department.
What I wouldn't give for Chess & Puzzle Kombat...or epic-long Deadly Alliance/Deception-style Konquest.
Story Mode - amazing from a story perspective. From a gameplay perspective...not so much.
Went from having an in-depth, entertaining and precise opportunity to learn every character in the game(AND weave it into the game's story itself, in Deception's case)...to jumping randomly from character to character with nothing to guide you but the pause menu move list, and only getting to fight on the side of good.
I understand shit like this is far from simple to cook up and put together, but even if it means a long-off release, I have no issue waiting it out for UMK9 if they take the time to put it together and it comes with anything close to what those 2 had in terms of single-player interactivity and learning material.

"HAM! I love ham!"

ELC

Scrublord McGee
It's possible for them to create a better AI that implements fuzzy-logic, but I doubt they could put it into a patch for this game.

Somberness

Lights
Yes. Example: AI Sub-Zero will not use ex freeze unless you jump or throw a projectile. Right now he just uses it whenever he has meter.

Game AI is a bitch. Simple as that. There are such complexities to it, that just "making a harder AI" takes on so many different levels of discourse you cant really discuss it at this point in a games life. At this point, the only way they would logistically (and by this i mean, quickly, cheaply and resource wise) be able to make the AI harder would be to make it start reading inputs verbatim like in MK1, 2, 3 and then you get into situations where the AI does things like, anytime you crouch you are instantly thrown, any time you try to throw, you are instantly thrown yourself, anytime you jump you are instantly IAFB, things like this. Even then, it would only be a little while before folks started to learn to exploit this and learn to flawless all the way to shao kahns cemetary plot. Sure, they could redo the AI taking into account the experience and knowledge now in the noosphere of MK gamers across the world, but they wont because it would be expensive and hard and completely worthless from a business standpoint.

instead of improving AI, they should just update them with the BNB's that everyone uses or simple setups that don't require any more work than starting combos

like it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have AI scorpion attempt a vortex even if they "guessed' wrong more often than not, or simply alternated between the b2 and f4

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
This is actually something I wish was available via the options, in the older MK's you could set a handicap for the computer and thus make it more difficult for you....I used to do this all the time, helps a lot with improving or making me play better.

Justice

Noob
:( <---- My contribution to this thread.

The lackluster amount of things to do in this game as a sole human being sucks.
Not even from a training perspective, just in general.

Ladder. Test Your Luck. Challenge Tower. That's it.

The problem, Justice, is that there's a bunch of us that are pretty much on our own, and in my case...all attempts to become supreme ruler of my respectives mains aside, sometimes i just wanna have some fun. And this game...doesn't do much in that department.
What I wouldn't give for Chess & Puzzle Kombat...or epic-long Deadly Alliance/Deception-style Konquest.
Story Mode - amazing from a story perspective. From a gameplay perspective...not so much.
Went from having an in-depth, entertaining and precise opportunity to learn every character in the game(AND weave it into the game's story itself, in Deception's case)...to jumping randomly from character to character with nothing to guide you but the pause menu move list, and only getting to fight on the side of good.
I understand shit like this is far from simple to cook up and put together, but even if it means a long-off release, I have no issue waiting it out for UMK9 if they take the time to put it together and it comes with anything close to what those 2 had in terms of single-player interactivity and learning material.

"HAM! I love ham!"
Ok. Yeah, there isn't much in this game for match variety, but for me, I'm still tryimg to graduate beyond Scrub School so for me there is a lot to do. Like upside down mirror Quan Chi challenge. Are you freaking kidding me? Anywho.....

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't even have online access anymore so I have the AI and that's it. See above for why that's not a big deal.

In story mode, you may not use every character, but there is enough of a variety that you feel that you have a solid basis for whoever you do choose to use. Me personally, I consider Challenge Tower a second dtory mode with it's little stories and fun events. Compared to past Story modes, it's probably more of a "true" Sory mode than the "Story Mode" :dance:

I have this great recipe for ham! Slice up enough potatoes to cover the bottom of a slow cooker. Then, dice up a ham an put half of it in the cooker. Grate some cheese over the ham. Toss in the rest of the ham. Slice more potatoes to cover the ham. Grate more cheese over the potatoes. Put some Cream of Mushroom soup (don't add water) on top of the cheese. Cook on Low for 8 hrs. Deeelisheeous :D

Or, you could go here: http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d48vady

Ludogg

Noob
Well since there idea of boss battles is just give them armor on EVERY attack (cheap way of upping difficulty), that would be their way of making it harder, just give all AI armor on there attacks.