What's new

Interview with Ari "Floe" Weintraub Discussing Killer Instinct, Injustice, MLG Anaheim, and more

I forgot about them tbh but it still makes no sense why this guy has a interview front-paged like his some kind of celebrity essentially talking about divisions within an already small gaming community. It's a recent interview yet everyone he mentioned doesn't even play the game and then his reason for not playing Injustice is that he is unable to adapt to patches like please..
In generally I follow NRS games and KI and I know who Floe is. Like Justin Wong, Chris G, etc. He's a big part of the FGC.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
I forgot about them tbh but it still makes no sense why this guy has a interview front-paged like his some kind of celebrity essentially talking about divisions within an already small gaming community. It's a recent interview yet everyone he mentioned doesn't even play the game and then his reason for not playing Injustice is that he is unable to adapt to patches like please..
if you're calling NRS community small in comparison to the FGC you have your head WAAAAYYYYYYY up your ass. try playing a game that struggles to get 40 people at a major

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
capcom games just require more skill and work than nrs games plain and simple, marvel is pretty easy to play but still igau an mk9 are REALLY easy compared to something like SF.
top SF players would probably stomp top nrs players in any game if they had the same knowledge of the game

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
I don't know man.....I sure don't remember it that way.
I was a Marvel player before Injustice and it blew my mind the amount of whining I saw when IGAU dropped. Granted--most of it was from casuals--but Marvel didn't have a huge casual community so it's a little hard to compare.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
I'm not even sure what you mean by that so I'm just going to guess you have never played a non-NRS game. Otherwise you would understand that they don't play the same at all.
I've played sf4 since vanilla. That is why I quoted your ridiculous post. It's just silly.

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
REO is great, I think he's probably the best NRS games player there is. His legacy in MK9 is the greatest, etc. (Yes I think he was and is better than PL). That said I have to disagree, I think the street fighter series is much more technical and difficult to master than NRS games. I'll concede that I think capcom players are mistaken with how easily they think they can pick up Injustice because as has been stated by others there are a ton of match ups and variables that need to be learned and memorized. But at the end of the day that's all you need to do, from an execution and mastery stand point I think NRS games pale in comparison to capcom games in terms of difficulty. PL has been delving into Capcom games, and gets bodied most of the time by mid tier players. As opposed to Chris G who has historically come into NRS games and placed top 8 (With lower tier characters like Green Arrow and Reptile).

All of that said having a low execution barrier and skill cap is not a bad thing. NRS games are more approachable to new players which is great as it just serves to feed a stronger population (Now if NRS could just release a title with decent netcode).
I come from a Capcom background. This is my first NRS game and I've been playing Capcom fighters since 2005.

The notion that there's "something more" to Capcom games is a bill of goods.

It has nothing to do with the game: it has everything to do with the scene. Bigger pool, bigger sharks. The Street Fighter series is only more technical because there are more players pushing the street fighter series to the max.

SF4, when it dropped in 2009, was seen as the most beginner-friendly Capcom game to date, and alot of oldschool Capcom guys refused to play it. Nowadays it's as deep as any other fighter on the market.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
MK9 at a high level is NOT easy to play. Punishing d1's, the footsies, etc take more skill than injustice only player realize imo. That said Sf4 does require probably more execution than NRS games but who cares that's just execution. Doesn't mean they could beat our top players.

I come from a Capcom background. This is my first NRS game and I've been playing Capcom fighters since 2005.

The notion that there's "something more" to Capcom games is a bill of goods.

It has nothing to do with the game: it has everything to do with the scene. Bigger pool, bigger sharks. The Street Fighter series is only more technical because there are more players pushing the street fighter series to the max.

SF4, when it dropped in 2009, was seen as the most beginner-friendly Capcom game to date, and alot of oldschool Capcom guys refused to play it. Nowadays it's as deep as any other fighter on the market.
Perhaps you're right. I just see things in SF series like Diagos Evo moment 37 that is more technically demanding than anything I've ever seen in any of the NRS game competitive matches.

I like FloE, one of the chillest players I ever met, but NO Capcom player has even broke a top 8 besides when the game first came out. They can say oh well i quit for this reason or that reason, but the reality is, they weren't good enough and went back to SF/UMvC3. You're godlike at your game and we're godlike at our game. Leave it at that or stop talkin shit from the front door. Come out and play Capcom guys.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Some SF players might be better at fighting games in general because their community is older and they're more experienced, but it's not like we're so trash we can't win our own game against someone whipping up a top-tier in 2 months. If anyone could do it I would say it's Justin, but I still think that's unlikely. This game is too MU intensive to just walk into it and win.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's so you can focus on fighting your opponent, instead of fighting your controller's d-pad
I think it evens out anyway. When I first picked up MK9, I couldn't do the longer Sonya and Lao combos consistently. After enough time and practice, I didn't think about them, it just happened. The fact that it was originally hard made no difference to me as it was now all muscle memory and I was just focused on playing the game.

Likewise, I don't think a top SF player thinks "wow this is hard" every time they execute some weird link to Ultra.. If you practice anything enough, it becomes habit. It's just a matter of how long and how much practice it takes you to get over the hump.

I think it evens out anyway. When I first picked up MK9, I couldn't do the longer Sonya and Lao combos consistently. After enough time and practice, I didn't think about them, it just happened. The fact that it was originally hard made no difference to me as it was now all muscle memory and I was just focused on playing the game.

Likewise, I don't think a top SF player thinks "wow this is hard" every time they execute some weird link to Ultra.. If you practice anything enough, it becomes habit. It's just a matter of how long and how much practice it takes you to get over the hump.
The difference is MK 9 doesn't deliberately make it hard to do combos. It actually goes out of its way to make it easier. And either way, Street Figher Combos are 10 times harder. Its not even close.

The big difference is Capcom views it as a balancing mechanism. Make the good moves hard to do.

It's so you can focus on fighting your opponent, instead of fighting your controller's d-pad
It's not just about execution though, is also about effectiveness. There's a reason Injustice was boo'd at EVO, when something as simple and basic as f23 breath, and laser mixups execution wise is so easy but so hard to deal with then there's a problem. Remember when Superman had full bar? You could just hope the Superman player messed up and if you made a single mistake with 38% or LESS you were as good as dead, almost half life bar with the press of 2 buttons, do you call that skill?

Sultan

Kitana, Scorpion
It's not just about execution though, is also about effectiveness. There's a reason Injustice was boo'd at EVO, when something as simple and basic as f23 breath, and laser mixups execution wise is so easy but so hard to deal with then there's a problem. Remember when Superman had full bar? You could just hope the Superman player messed up and if you made a single mistake with 38% or LESS you were as good as dead, almost half life bar with the press of 2 buttons, do you call that skill?
Vanilla Sagat says hi.