What's new

Interview with Ari "Floe" Weintraub Discussing Killer Instinct, Injustice, MLG Anaheim, and more

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Lol, did people not read the interview, he said overall Capcom players are better players which is true.

I haven't seen a single NRS player succeed in other FGs beside Jr.

If Capcom can play games they "don't like" (NRS games), than NRS players can play games they don't like either, so don't say you don't play you don't play because you don't like it, it's just harder to compete in Capcom games.
Agreed. I might get flamed for saying this, but I think it just boils down to the Capcom community being more mature. Sure there are ppl like Sanford who make me eat my words every few months, but Capcom has been making balanced and competitive fighters for longer--so it's natural that their community is more mature. Most of them have been playing Capcom games competitively for 10+ years. They adapt to new games and new mechanics pretty easily while a lot of NRS players had a hard time adapting to no block button when Injustice first dropped lol.

This is a great thing though. As NRS continues to make better and better games the community will continue to mature. That means there's a lot to look forward too-which is awesome.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Lol, did people not read the interview, he said overall Capcom players are better players which is true.

If Capcom can play games they "don't like" (NRS games), than NRS players can play games they don't like either, so don't say you don't play you don't play because you don't like it, it's just harder to compete in Capcom games.

Dizzy is currently a great KI player and placed top 8 at Final Round. That's just current, Slips is of course one of the best Tekken players of all time.

Aren't you CAPCOM or NAMCO though?
Even though my first fighting game was not an NRS game, the beginning of mk9 is where I felt to really break out and dedicate alot of time to fighting games, unfortunately because of the lack of players in my area, I couldnt continue to appreciate and love the game more solely through online play. And because injustice is so popular in my area, I feel I identify myself as an NRS player before I would ever consider myself a capcom player.

Can someone make a banner??

Good players are good players. If REO picked up Ultra seriously he'd body top players. If LordKnight picked up Ultra seriously he'd body top players. If Sanford or Justin or PR Rog picked up Injustice they'd body top players.

It's a non-statement. Good players are good players, despite the game. Reactions, execution, reads, focus, mental strength, etc. All this stuff transfers over to other games.

The difference between Justin/Rog/etc. and top NRS players is the one element I didn't mention: passion.

If you don't have that you'll never be the best at this game.
REO is great, I think he's probably the best NRS games player there is. His legacy in MK9 is the greatest, etc. (Yes I think he was and is better than PL). That said I have to disagree, I think the street fighter series is much more technical and difficult to master than NRS games. I'll concede that I think capcom players are mistaken with how easily they think they can pick up Injustice because as has been stated by others there are a ton of match ups and variables that need to be learned and memorized. But at the end of the day that's all you need to do, from an execution and mastery stand point I think NRS games pale in comparison to capcom games in terms of difficulty. PL has been delving into Capcom games, and gets bodied most of the time by mid tier players. As opposed to Chris G who has historically come into NRS games and placed top 8 (With lower tier characters like Green Arrow and Reptile).

All of that said having a low execution barrier and skill cap is not a bad thing. NRS games are more approachable to new players which is great as it just serves to feed a stronger population (Now if NRS could just release a title with decent netcode).

Agreed. I might get flamed for saying this, but I think it just boils down to the Capcom community being more mature. Sure there are ppl like Sanford who make me eat my words every few months,
I'm not gonna flame you...but really? I mean, the entire fgc is kind of notorious for the amount of drama in it and I've never bought this idea that the NRS/MK community is somehow a standout in that regard. EDIT: I mean hell, take Fchamp as case in point.

CRUM

Noob
Two weeks before EVO at CEO I out placed PR Balrog and beat him in the KF mirror in the process. Props to him for getting top 8 at EVO but I think results before and after show how much bracketology played in that. I mean, at that tournament I was double eliminated by Black Adam. A matchup no KF at the time could overcome.

That said, I have a lot of respect for guys like Justin, Rog and Chris G and the multiple game gods like Tokido. It's awesome and something I couldn't do. However when it comes to one game, they're just human. If there's a new game and I have the GGA crew to break down the game with I'm confident I could hang with these guys.
ULTRA? ;)

Pl getting bodied in capcom games now is because he just started to take it seriously, honestly it's too late into the games lifespan and people are already on another level. PL did great in street fighter in 2010/11. Same logic applies to nrs games if a capcom player tries to pick the game up now they will get blown up. Who are the capcom players that do well in injustice? The only 2 I can think of are rico and KDZ and they weren't even the best capcom players. But other capcom players(arguably better in Sf than rico) have tried the game out and have gotten their backs blown out. So I don't think whether youre a capcom player or not is even relevant, if youre a good fg player and put time into the game, you will have a high chance of doing well. BTW don't start claiming Chris g as a capcom player because he plays everything and if anything the guy actually started out with MK.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
I'm not gonna flame you...but really? I mean, the entire fgc is kind of notorious for the amount of drama in it and I've never bought this idea that the NRS/MK community is somehow a standout in that regard. EDIT: I mean hell, take Fchamp as case in point.
I didn't mean mature in that respect. I meant mature as a community--operating, expectations, adaptation, etc. Not simply drama and twitter beef. Although, NRS and Marvel communities seem to be the twitter beefiest lol.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
Let's be serious here. There are very, very few players in the NRS community who could take on the top players of the Capcom community. Literally only @Denzell and @R.E.O. could take on the top Capcom players, if they were to play the same game. They have THE best fundamentals in the NRS community. @J360 is technically a Capcom player, so his fame in Marvel 2 doesn't count :p

lol that's not a new game, capcom has a bad habit of calling sf a new game after each patch, OMG ALL THESE PATCHES I CAN'T KEEP UP. #classiccapcomplayeroptionselect

edit: what makes these capcom players that confident anyway, they can't even win evo in their own main game after 5 years and believe me the 6th year is coming...

Last edited:

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Two weeks before EVO at CEO I out placed PR Balrog and beat him in the KF mirror in the process. Props to him for getting top 8 at EVO but I think results before and after show how much bracketology played in that. I mean, at that tournament I was double eliminated by Black Adam. A matchup no KF at the time could overcome.

That said, I have a lot of respect for guys like Justin, Rog and Chris G and the multiple game gods like Tokido. It's awesome and something I couldn't do. However when it comes to one game, they're just human. If there's a new game and I have the GGA crew to break down the game with I'm confident I could hang with these guys.
Yeah.. F*ckin @EGP Wonder_Chef helping out the Capcom guys.. He beat you by kounter-picking and then decided to not kounter-pick PR Rog... WTF??

Thanx Chef.. Make it seem like NRS players just suck.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer

I don't quite agree. If you only look at Capcom's Top Players vs all our players, then yeah we look bad. But if you match top players with top players then you kan see that it's not like that.

Different games means different skill-sets. NRS games just take a different type of work kompared to Capcom games.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26

I hear what your saying BUT my point was more based on "time spent with the game". Its insane how well PR ROG has done and can do if he put in the amount of endless hours a player like you do and PR ROG doesnt have a team like GGA that he grinded out games with or can currently grind out games with. So for me personally, im sticking with my theory.

I didn't mean mature in that respect. I meant mature as a community--operating, expectations, adaptation, etc. Not simply drama and twitter beef. Although, NRS and Marvel communities seem to be the twitter beefiest lol.
That *might* be true in street fighter, but I definitely have evidence to the contrary on the Marvel side of things. Jwong whining about vanilla sentinel on twitter comes to mind.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
That *might* be true in street fighter, but I definitely have evidence to the contrary on the Marvel side of things. Jwong whining about vanilla sentinel on twitter comes to mind.
Absolutely. But the amount of Injustice complaints vs Marvel complaints was like 10:1. A big part of that comes from Injustice being a more casual gamer-friendly game. Also Marvel players expect it to be broken. I think we're on the same page.

Also Sentinel was so f*cking hilariously broken in Vanilla MVC3. He had the most health in the game, hyper armor on 2 of his best normals, and his damage was crazy.

reading that was a truly unenjoyable experience.
I thought it was decent. I thought it was cool that Floe despite not really playing Injustice or KI is in support of their inclusion at MLG. He seems realistic in seeing that competitive gaming in fighters isn't a solid form of income and that school and employment should be prioritized over it. And he gave his honest opinion without a whole lot of disrespect to anybody in doing so.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Rico started with Street fighter 4, and Although KDZ did start in soul calibur, he was considered a very strong player at street fighter 4. Those are the only two I can think of, one of them being the EVO champ with two more major wins under his belt, and the other beings a very dominating player with a major win under his belt.

But it doesnt matter where they came from, the point is that they've been playing the game since the first month and have both put in alot of time and effort into becoming strong players.
I forgot about them tbh but it still makes no sense why this guy has a interview front-paged like his some kind of celebrity essentially talking about divisions within an already small gaming community. It's a recent interview yet everyone he mentioned doesn't even play the game and then his reason for not playing Injustice is that he is unable to adapt to patches like please..

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
there are actually a couple of SF players i can see doing really well in injustice actually. if justin plays the game for 2 months i wouldnt be surprised if he makes some upsets. i also wouldnt put it past someone like valle with all the fighting game experience in the world to be able to do the same thing.
Valle actually did play, practice and stream the game for about that long. He was good, but was consistently beaten by the better players.

Still have plenty of love for him though.. That Ryu :D