What's new

I'm a scrub. I dont want to be a scrub. Help me.

Hey, guys. I'm LesPaulPhoenix, and i like apple pie.

I dont really have much time to play, but when i do, i find myself getting into trouble with randoms and reading loquacious use of the term "[ban incoming]" when i get tired of playing the A.I. because we all know beating a game on Expert doesnt mean you're good. It means you beat a game on the highest difficulty setting... But, this is A.I. and Artificial Intelligence is just that. Beating A.I. and beating other players are two different things. Case in point, I suck. I'm looking to play some decent players so I can get better. I'm also looking for help with my 3 mains, in order, these characters are Scorpion, Sub Zero, and Johnny Cage.

Help a noob. You'll get free hugs.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Practice makes perfect, hit up the character forms, dig through the combo threads and videos. Great resource of damn good players here.

Also, don't get too frustrated with online, it's just online...after all! :top: Certainly not something that should be taken serious!

Indeed. Must not go crazy. Though... I do believe I have a couple of screws loose. I'll look through the character forums. Thanks!

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Don't let losses demotivate you. Chances are, if you haven't had a lot of experience with the game you aren't fully aware of what's safe, what's an overhead (I can usually tell what players will eat my f41's with Kitana), and just generally how to fight against each character. MK9 isn't just about learning your own character, but learning how to approach everyone else, and that can only come from experience.

gdf

Noob
If you haven't already gone to offline events, go to one. I went to one, spoke with some high level players who critiqued me on my playstyle, and I improved my online game 10 fold.
More often than not offline players are really nice and accommodating, and I don't think just the ones in my area.
But truth be told it's kinda like Lay's, you just can't go to one.

SZSR

Noob
If you haven't already gone to offline events, go to one. I went to one, spoke with some high level players who critiqued me on my playstyle, and I improved my online game 10 fold.
More often than not offline players are really nice and accommodating, and I don't think just the ones in my area.
But truth be told it's kinda like Lay's, you just can't go to one.
Lay's?

Jericho

The most complete fighter
I know the feeling Les. I was a scrub when I started playing fighting games too. All I did was hit the lab a lot, research and have sessions whenever I had the chances for them. That and I also went to tournaments every now and again, just to see what other people did with the characters I used, no matter what the game was. I play and dabbled in a lot of games (SF, GG, MK, VF, Tekken, and many others). Youtube helps with checking out vids, and looking up the forums here does help out a hell of a lot.

The main thing I will say is this, don't be discouraged with others when they talk down to you, take your losses, no matter how bad they were as lessons on what to do for next time and don't give up. Besides, people calling others "scrubs, [ban incoming]s, losers" and the like are too ignorant to remember that they started out and took that kind of abuse at some point as well. They just don't want to admit to it, or are too ashamed with it. Any advice you need with your mains, ask on the character forums and I know someone will help you out.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Hey, guys. I'm LesPaulPhoenix, and i like apple pie.

I dont really have much time to play, but when i do, i find myself getting into trouble with randoms and reading loquacious use of the term "[ban incoming]" when i get tired of playing the A.I. because we all know beating a game on Expert doesnt mean you're good. It means you beat a game on the highest difficulty setting... But, this is A.I. and Artificial Intelligence is just that. Beating A.I. and beating other players are two different things. Case in point, I suck. I'm looking to play some decent players so I can get better. I'm also looking for help with my 3 mains, in order, these characters are Scorpion, Sub Zero, and Johnny Cage.

Help a noob. You'll get free hugs.
i think you sold your self short there brother.
i hate when people call themselves names like that.

we all start at point A, but while we get to point B? there will be challenges you will have to conquer.
is just like any new game out there.
but 1 thing is for sure, dont give up despite what the trolls online tell you, cus even when they win? they will insult you either way.
online sucks, and it is in no way an indicative as to how good you can be.
but for those that have no choice? then is all you got for the time being.

i say for the time being, because you have to try to go to tournaments or social gaming gatherings where they will be playing MK9.
thats the only way to get better.
dont get me wrong, you will improve a bit online, but not a whole lot, and that can be attributed to a long list of things.
i suggest what helped me, some may disagree, but in all honesty it did help me a whole lot.

and thats the ladder on expert and the training room on expert.
use that to practice the timing of your combos on a moving target, not just a standing and defenseless dummy.
you wont get a good challenge? but at least you will be half way there.
also the challenge tower on the later challenges is a good place to hone your skills a bit.

also, find a good group of people that are willing to help.
what helped me a lot online, was the gamefaqs room, i learned a lot from people there and they where great teachers, and even went out of their way as far as even losing so you could learn, as they would be teaching and texting back and forth during a match.
not saying all of them will, but the majority will do that for new and or inexperienced guys.
and thats not a shot at TYM, i just didnt know much about this place then, so thats what i had and it worked.
but here also, you will find great high level players, even more than any where else online.
so try to make some friends that can play and help you with your mains online :)

again, dont give up brother, we all started at point A, just takes some time to get all the nuances of this great game down, specially if you came from SF4 and or MVSC.

hope that made sense, and at least provided some useful info that you can follow :)

good luck brother, if my 10 year old can beast this game? so can you ;)

i think you sold your self short there brother.
i hate when people call themselves names like that.

we all start at point A, but while we get to point B? there will be challenges you will have to conquer.
is just like any new game out there.
but 1 thing is for sure, dont give up despite what the trolls online tell you, cus even when they win? they will insult you either way.
online sucks, and it is in no way an indicative as to how good you can be.
but for those that have no choice? then is all you got for the time being.

i say for the time being, because you have to try to go to tournaments or social gaming gatherings where they will be playing MK9.
thats the only way to get better.
dont get me wrong, you will improve a bit online, but not a whole lot, and that can be attributed to a long list of things.
i suggest what helped me, some may disagree, but in all honesty it did help me a whole lot.

and thats the ladder on expert and the training room on expert.
use that to practice the timing of your combos on a moving target, not just a standing and defenseless dummy.
you wont get a good challenge? but at least you will be half way there.
also the challenge tower on the later challenges is a good place to hone your skills a bit.

also, find a good group of people that are willing to help.
what helped me a lot online, was the gamefaqs room, i learned a lot from people there and they where great teachers, and even went out of their way as far as even losing so you could learn, as they would be teaching and texting back and forth during a match.
not saying all of them will, but the majority will do that for new and or inexperienced guys.
and thats not a shot at TYM, i just didnt know much about this place then, so thats what i had and it worked.
but here also, you will find great high level players, even more than any where else online.
so try to make some friends that can play and help you with your mains online :)

again, dont give up brother, we all started at point A, just takes some time to get all the nuances of this great game down, specially if you came from SF4 and or MVSC.

hope that made sense, and at least provided some useful info that you can follow :)

good luck brother, if my 10 year old can beast this game? so can you ;)
NICE! I will definitely check out the gamefaqs room and check out regional matchmaking :)

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
NICE! I will definitely check out the gamefaqs room and check out regional matchmaking :)
We have TYM rooms on PSN as well, keep an eye out for those! Usually it's along the lines of 00000TYM or we have King of the Hill matches in The Wharf; they're both TYM affiliated. Occasionally, random jackasses will come in, but it's not very common.

Just don't get too angry with yourself about losing online, personally I can't motivate myself to consistently play my A game when all I have is online, there's just too many variables that I can't control online - so, I just auto-pilot the majority of my matches and try to learn new setups for now. When I can start playing locally, then I'll really up my game! :top:

This is generally the consensus from most people who want to play offline, I willingly choose not take online in a serious nature, because I know I'll get pissed off if I can't land a combo online or a lag spike screws me over and I lose.

We have TYM rooms on PSN as well, keep an eye out for those! Usually it's along the lines of 00000TYM or we have King of the Hill matches in The Wharf; they're both TYM affiliated. Occasionally, random jackasses will come in, but it's not very common.

Just don't get too angry with yourself about losing online, personally I can't motivate myself to consistently play my A game when all I have is online, there's just too many variables that I can't control online - so, I just auto-pilot the majority of my matches and try to learn new setups for now. When I can start playing locally, then I'll really up my game! :top:

This is generally the consensus from most people who want to play offline, I willingly choose not take online in a serious nature, because I know I'll get pissed off if I can't land a combo online or a lag spike screws me over and I lose.
0000000TYM and The Wharf... Got it. Thanks, man!