What's new

If MKX Wasn't MK "Branded"...

Would you play MKX if it wasn't MK Branded?

• No

Votes: 75 50.0%
  • I would play more if it was another brand (DC, Marvel, Original, etc)

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • I would play the same amount

Votes: 59 39.3%

• Total voters
Would you be interested in this game?

For example, if MKX was branded with DC characters, would you be still interested in the game?

I for one, believe that MKX is so popular because MK's lore and setting is too godlike. Everyone has "their" character and their connection with the series. So therefore, I probably wouldn't even touch this game for the amount of BS that is in it, if it wasn't for the fact that I love the characters that I play.
i dont even play it anymore with the mk brand on it.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I hate to say it but if you are playing this game only because of the MK brand and you would not play it otherwise...

Then you probably shouldn't be playing it.

I mean, what are you getting from the game then that you couldn't be getting just by watching all the story cutscenes on YouTube?

That's weird.
It's fun to play as my favorite characters and having them fight with my own playstyle.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
Am I the only person here who actually LIKES the game itself? I purchased MKX because I grew up on the MK series, purely out of nostalgia, with absolutely no intention of playing competitively. I still play because I actually really like the game, despite the atrocious online.
I love it (though not so much the story) but I'm just being honest. I wouldn't touch this game if it wasn't MK not because I think it's "bad" just that I find every other fighting game pointless.

I hate to say it but if you are playing this game only because of the MK brand and you would not play it otherwise...

I mean, what are you getting from the game then that you couldn't be getting just by watching all the story cutscenes on YouTube?

That's weird.
It's not weird at all. You're a fan of something, you buy the product. That's how it works for all brands.

If this was based on the Street Fighter brand, then I would not give a shit. I don't see how that is weird. Why do you feel the interest should be unconditional?

Ya see, if it wasn't for the branding, story, or characters, I probably wouldn't touch this game. I've now matured to the point as a player where I don't need blood/gore to attract me to a game. The shock value is gone, so the mechanics just feel weird to me now.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
i try every game to see if it's good. i've never condemned a game to shit without giving a few weeks of play minimum *and thats if they aready established a meta etc*. if it's brand new i'll play for a month or two to see. But MK being my fav franchise and story / lore / characters still won't stop me from not playing it if the game is not up to my particular preferences.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I would have played it regardless if it was still an NRS game. That's literally the only reason I even bought Injustice on launch, because it was originally marketed as "From the creators of Mortal Kombat" lol

I love MKX and I think it's a good game, but I probably wouldn't play it if it weren't MK.

I probably wouldn't have tried it in the first place.
Exactly.
I´m a MK fan for 23 years now and i played all the games because i love the lore and the characters.
MK had some pretty strange mechanics ,compared to like Sf, in the past but i always loved it because i could play the characters i grew up with.
I was always excited how Sub -Zero and Scorpion would look like in the next game etc. .

So i guess i would not play MKX when it wouldnt be MK, because everything i love about it would be gone.

if it was injustice 2, i would play it for a bit i guess, but not half as much.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I play it on weekends with my brother and I think it is fun, better than MK9 and extremely better than IGAU gameplay wise (at casual level). But defenitively would not play it if it wasn't for the lore behind it. To me, other fighting games have "better" (i.e. I like it more) gameplay mechanics; so if it were a new franchise lets say as Rising Thunder, Persona 4 , Skullgirls, etc. but with the MKX mechanics then I would have left it for those other games with "better" gameplay like KOF XIII or VF5FS for example.

That being said, I think I would play the game even without the MK brand on it if there were some mechanics adjustments. For example I would get rid of the stamina bar and let the run, backdash, interactables cost nothing, then I would make the jump less floatie and make the air punches and kicks autocorrect more efficientely, make the grab's animations shorter, add more frames to some overheads, replace the forward dash with the run (so now you press -> -> to run), etc.

Anyway the game is still fun.

Last edited:

Rearawt

Noob

People find enjoyment in different aspects of games.

Why read a book when you can read the plot summary?
Why do you think that because they prefer the brand over the gameplay that they don't enjoy the gameplay at all?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
let me begin by saying NRS definitely have some of my personal favourite character designs across any FG this is a big part of MK for me, but really The main reason I choose to play MK games is purely for the mechanics, the game feels familiar i've been playing it for such a long time and it was the only FG I really played as a child.

If you were to say replace the roster with SF characters however I'd probably enjoy the ascetics alot less and ascetics definitely have always won me over when it came to decisions, although when it comes to being a competitive FG player I have no idea how I would be able to learn other FGs anywhere to the level I have with MK it just feels correct, perhaps if I thought another game looked waaay cooler I would've invested time into it to play and learn it to a higher level, So perhaps I would not be playing MKX today.

One thing I do know is I am in love with MKX, it's truely the most enjoyable MK game since UMK3 and MK9, it's spectacular and I know how the community loves to shit on their own game alot so i'm here to anti that theme by telling you now i'm a huge fanboy of MK all in all, it's not just about the brand or the developer it's purely about how much I enjoy it's gameplay over other FGs, not to say others cannot be fun.

what draws me to a game is its artstyle, its overall artistic design, the music etc.

So even if i wouldnt like the gameplay ( which i love), i would love how the characters look, how the music sounds, how the stages look and feel.

thats what got me into mortal kombat in the first place. As a child i loved the rope dart yellow ninja and the blue ice ninja, the creepy living forest, the "enter the dragon" -esque martial arts tournament stages, the memorable music-

MKX is really lacking some tournament flair...it should have returned to that formula...but since mk4 it always has a "stop the badguy" thing going on...stop him buy winning the tournament. Thats why the elder gods created Mortal Kombat in the first place.

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
Well i don´t buy games blind like an idiot, so i would have watched some couple of videos to decide...I preordered the game even before i´ve seen anything. So i just bought it because i know i love MK.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
I play Mortal Kombat only because it is Mortal Kombat, no matter the gameplay. After all, I still own and play PS2 MK games. It is the lore and general design and of course the characters that keep me going (Liu Kang - Eternal Mortal Kombat Champion). The fact that Mortal Kombat series became competitive fighting game just adds to all of it and makes it 11 out of 10 for me.

Waiting for MK11 and not for Injustice 2 (which will delay MK11).

Death

Noob
I am not sure to be honest. I like the game but not really hooked or have the desire to put in the time like I did with MK9 but that could be attached to real life responsibilities. Who knows. But the MK lore is what makes me play to be honest. I do like how the game doesnt really have any bugs but I dislike the guessing. Most of the time I feel like I just guessed wrong in a situation and the match is over so fast but it is what it is.