What's new

If MKX Wasn't MK "Branded"...

Would you play MKX if it wasn't MK Branded?

• No

Votes: 75 50.0%
  • I would play more if it was another brand (DC, Marvel, Original, etc)

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • I would play the same amount

Votes: 59 39.3%

• Total voters
Since MK9, but I'm failing to see your point.
i feel adressed by your post, because i dont enjoy mkx anymore (and it was hard always). ive been a fan sínce mk1 so i guess im not a fanboy.

my passion for mk has survived everything. it survived the 3d era, which i even grew to like, it survived mk vs dc, hell it would even make me get enjoyment out of characters like kira or darrius. it also survived the terrible online of mk9.

but mkx... i was super-hyped until the full roster was revealed. there wasnt the generation cut theyve announced, and a bunch of characters i have Zero relation to (basically the three cassie clones), while there wasnt a single mk char in history i disliked before. also the whole Family Thing and the Hollywood Story doesnt fit mk imo.

then the game mechanics. the game is outright dumb. full screen jips, worse 50/50s than injustice and safe, half-Screen Combo starters with 360 degree hitboxes? its like baby toys. and nrs still make the same, not that hard to avoid mistake in balancing, which is "give one character all the good Tools". also the style System could be better by making it on the fly like in 3d mk.

then there was no fresh start for the netcode, they missed out on the online bracket Option. even the Music doesnt fit my taste for the first time.

Overall this game feels like a bad mk 9.5 to me.

i simply dont feel it anymore. this is not my mk anymore. nrs clearly have a differnet Vision from an amazing mk than i do, in almost every aspect, be it presentation, gameplay, whatever.

am i a fanboy now?

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
so how long have you been into mk?
i feel adressed by your post, because i dont enjoy mkx anymore (and it was hard always). ive been a fan sínce mk1 so i guess im not a fanboy.

my passion for mk has survived everything. it survived the 3d era, which i even grew to like, it survived mk vs dc, hell it would even make me get enjoyment out of characters like kira or darrius. it also survived the terrible online of mk9.

but mkx... i was super-hyped until the full roster was revealed. there wasnt the generation cut theyve announced, and a bunch of characters i have Zero relation to (basically the three cassie clones), while there wasnt a single mk char in history i disliked before. also the whole Family Thing and the Hollywood Story doesnt fit mk imo.

then the game mechanics. the game is outright dumb. full screen jips, worse 50/50s than injustice and safe, half-Screen Combo starters with 360 degree hitboxes? its like baby toys. and nrs still make the same, not that hard to avoid mistake in balancing, which is "do not give one character all the good Tools". also the style System could be better by making it on the fly like in 3d mk.

then there was no fresh start for the netcode, they missed out on the online bracket Option. even the Music doesnt fit my taste for the first time.

Overall this game feels like a bad mk 9.5 to.

i simply dont feel it anymore. this is not my mk anymore. nrs clearly have a differnet Vision from an amazing mk than i do, in almost every aspect, be it presentation, gameplay, whatever.

am i a fanboy now?
Uh yea, you are a fanboy. By admitting you have an emotional attachment to the franchise and get butt-hurt over the character roster and story means you care more about the lore than the actual fighting game mechanics and gameplay.

Your complaints about the mechanics don't even make sense. Worse 50/50's than Injustice? Do you not remember Batgirl? Killer Frost? Flash? Sinestro? Martian Manhunter? Wonder Woman? Catwoman? Nightwing? Deathstroke? Most characters didn't even need meter for their launching 50/50's and were all unpunishable or even gave them frames on block.

The fact you are wanting them to go back to 3D pretty much means you developed your love with older MK games and can't look at MKX objectively on it's own.

You don't feel it anymore because you are a fanboy of the series and do not have a pure understanding of fighting games. There's nothing wrong with that, so I wouldn't take offense.

Uh yea, you are a fanboy. By admitting you have an emotional attachment to the franchise and get butt-hurt over the character roster and story means you care more about the lore than the actual fighting game mechanics and gameplay.

Your complaints about the mechanics don't even make sense. Worse 50/50's than Injustice? Do you not remember Batgirl? Killer Frost? Flash? Sinestro? Martian Manhunter? Wonder Woman? Catwoman? Nightwing? Deathstroke? Most characters didn't even need meter for their launching 50/50's and were all unpunishable or even gave them frames on block.

The fact you are wanting them to go back to 3D pretty much means you developed your love with older MK games and can't look at MKX objectively on it's own.

You don't feel it anymore because you are a fanboy of the series and do not have a pure understanding of fighting games. There's nothing wrong with that, so I wouldn't take offense.
i have enough understanding of fighting games to see that mkx mechanics for 3 year olds. .... and i dunno where you read i want them to go back to 3d

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a fanboy is someone INCAPABLE of being critical towards their favourite franchise, who just OK everything because they love it so much, e.g. The people who defend the NetCode, or the people defending FO4's buggy release while at the same time hating on Assassins Creed. This sort of mentality where people fight logic to justify their enjoyment of something, this is how the word is currently used, not someone who gets upset about key stuff changing. That's just a fan.

Slips

i have enough understanding of fighting games to see that mkx mechanics for 3 year olds. .... and i dunno where you read i want them to go back to 3d
also the style System could be better by making it on the fly like in 3d mk.
The fact you are willing to compare MKX to one of the 3D games and suggest it's better in some way just further exemplifies you're more attached to your first impressions and experiences with MK more than looking at MKX for what it is and how much of a massive improvement it is.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
then the game mechanics. the game is outright dumb. full screen jips, worse 50/50s than injustice and safe, half-Screen Combo starters with 360 degree hitboxes? its like baby toys. and nrs still make the same, not that hard to avoid mistake in balancing, which is "give one character all the good Tools". also the style System could be better by making it on the fly like in 3d mk.
Well that's the good thing, pretty much everyone is balanced, and the characters without easy mode tools have badass stuff to make up for it, if you don't need to use easy model tools you can do really well with some more fundamental characters.
Except Kano. I can see why you wouldn't be having much fun if you play Kano.

Slips

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a fanboy is someone INCAPABLE of being critical towards their favourite franchise, who just OK everything because they love it so much, e.g. The people who defend the NetCode, or the people defending FO4's buggy release while at the same time hating on Assassins Creed. This sort of mentality where people fight logic to justify their enjoyment of something, this is how the word is currently used, not someone who gets upset about key stuff changing. That's just a fan.
I guess it's all perspective. I just consider the people you describe as dumbasses.

In my eyes a typical TYM MK fanboy comes on here because he loves MK. He loves the lore and characters and aesthetics, all that stuff, which is great. Then he gets his ass beat and blames NRS for balance or patches or mechanics instead of looking inward. Because he doesn't really get fighting games too much, he just likes MK.

That's the typical TYM'er to me.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
MKX for what it is and how much of a massive improvement it is.
But this is a matter of perspective. Pure opinion. I was a kid playing the old MKs doing fatalities, I hated the 3D era and barely touched the games, I liked MK9 a lot, I LOVED Injustice. I feel "meh" about MKX. I play it because I love fighting games, but I don't love the game. I'm very well versed in other fighting games, it's just that MKX doesn't do "it" for me like Injustice did, like Tekken does, like KOF does.

Some people simply are in love with the current version of the game. Some hate it but they shouldn't be playing at all and a lot don't anymore. Then there's others like me who play it but feel "meh", and will likely drop it when we feel a superior fighting game hits the market. I don't understand the stance of "you must not know the real deal" if someone doesn't like the game or isn't clamoring over it.

Slips

But this is a matter of perspective. Pure opinion. I was a kid playing the old MKs doing fatalities, I hated the 3D era and barely touched the games, I liked MK9 a lot, I LOVED Injustice. I feel "meh" about MKX. I play it because I love fighting games, but I don't love the game. I'm very well versed in other fighting games, it's just that MKX doesn't do "it" for me like Injustice did, like Tekken does, like KOF does.

Some people simply are in love with the current version of the game. Some hate it but they shouldn't be playing at all and a lot don't anymore. Then there's others like me who play it but feel "meh", and will likely drop it when we feel a superior fighting game hits the market. I don't understand the stance of "you must not know the real deal" if someone doesn't like the game or isn't clamoring over it.
Sure I guess. If you want to like Armageddon more than MKX because of...style changes, then be my guest.

But from my perspective of wanting a fun, relatively fair and balanced fighting game that can be played on a competitive level, NRS hasn't made a better game than MKX.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Sure I guess. If you want to like Armageddon more than MKX because of...style changes, then be my guest.

But from my perspective of wanting a fun, relatively fair and balanced fighting game that can be played on a competitive level, NRS hasn't made a better game than MKX.
What do you think of Injustice? Almost the entire two years up until a month before MKX release I could play that game hours on in still. Even now I'll play it at my local some as recent as last week. To me it's a better all around game, where as MKX is less diverse and more linear than Inj.

I think it's much more preference and perspective when thinking if a game is good or not unless it's just outright bad like those 3D games. I don't think MKX is bad at all as a game, I just think its mechanics isn't for everyone. Some of the things I read people say on why MKX is the best NRS game I can make a list just as long if not longer on why I think Injustice is the best NRS game and was given an unfair shake by some MK9 diehards.

virtiqaL

Noob
Why does everyone that has a negative opinion or criticism on the game or certain aspects of it have to be automatically considered a scrub, bad at the game, fanboy, etc. ?

I recognize that MKX is an improvement over MK9 in many ways. But just because a game is more balanced, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be more fun, especially depending on how they go about achieving said balance.

For example, imagine a fighting game where every character had a 50/50 that led into a combo, you could make the point that the game is well balanced because every character has an option or a chance to win, but a game balanced that way wouldn't exactly be fun to play for a long period of time, IMO anyway.

I think some people miss the point of those who prefer MK9 over MKX, it's not that they feel that MK9 is more balanced, they feel the fundamental gameplay and mechanics were more enjoyable and fun, and that maybe a rebalanced/fixed MK9 would be better overall.

There really is no right or wrong at the end of the day, it's all a matter of taste, regardless of how good you are at this game.

Slips

What do you think of Injustice? Almost the entire two years up until a month before MKX release I could play that game hours on in still. Even now I'll play it at my local some as recent as last week. To me it's a better all around game, where as MKX is less diverse and more linear than Inj.

I think it's much more preference and perspective when thinking if a game is good or not unless it's just outright bad like those 3D games. I don't think MKX is bad at all as a game, I just think its mechanics isn't for everyone. Some of the things I read people say on why MKX is the best NRS game I can make a list just as long if not longer on why I think Injustice is the best NRS game and was given an unfair shake by some MK9 diehards.
I actually think Injustice is pretty underrated, but the stigma of the first 6 months of the game being terrible stuck through most player's eyes.

The character diversity in Injustice I think is better than MKX. The big issue with Injustice is balance. Aquaman, MMH, Zod and Batgirl were killers. Plus a few other polarizing matchups that made it brutal for some characters.

I think outside of Quan Chi there isn't a character as silly as the top tier in Injustice.

The thing is, MKX isn't even done. Every patch the game overall gets better and there are more to come.

The netcode is the biggest shame. People wouldn't complain about the offense as much if the netcode wasn't so bad. Offline the game is amazing to me.

My only real complaint about MKx is the damage is SOOO high. The games end so fast. I think every combo needs to be dropped like 30% or the health pools increased by about 4 times or something. Would love to see more back and forth in a game. 1 touch it is over can be depressing.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Why does everyone that has a negative opinion or criticism on the game or certain aspects of it have to be automatically considered a scrub, bad at the game, fanboy, etc. ?

I recognize that MKX is an improvement over MK9 in many ways. But just because a game is more balanced, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be more fun, especially depending on how they go about achieving said balance.

For example, imagine a fighting game where every character had a 50/50 that led into a combo, you could make the point that the game is well balanced because every character has an option or a chance to win, but a game balanced that way wouldn't exactly be fun to play for a long period of time, IMO anyway.

I think some people miss the point of those who prefer MK9 over MKX, it's not that they feel that MK9 is more balanced, they feel the fundamental gameplay and mechanics were more enjoyable and fun, and that maybe a rebalanced/fixed MK9 would be better overall.

There really is no right or wrong at the end of the day, it's all a matter of taste, regardless of how good you are at this game.
ANIME

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I actually think Injustice is pretty underrated, but the stigma of the first 6 months of the game being terrible stuck through most player's eyes.

The character diversity in Injustice I think is better than MKX. The big issue with Injustice is balance. Aquaman, MMH, Zod and Batgirl were killers. Plus a few other polarizing matchups that made it brutal for some characters.

I think outside of Quan Chi there isn't a character as silly as the top tier in Injustice.

The thing is, MKX isn't even done. Every patch the game overall gets better and there are more to come.

The netcode is the biggest shame. People wouldn't complain about the offense as much if the netcode wasn't so bad. Offline the game is amazing to me.
I can agree with that. Though I think not even QC himself is as strong as Inj Top 4. They were beyond weaknesses.

That's what I'm personally holding out for. I'm still "in the middle" so to say about the game, but the last patch in Inj turned it from "I like this game" to "one of my favorite fighters in the last decade" in one patch, so I still have hope. I think MKX is overall better balanced already though, would just like to see a few total mechanics changes. I miss being able to slow games down, zone full matches, etc.

As far as online, it's death. Haven't touched it in months. Luckily in nyc we have a lot of locals but I can't imagine having to play this game online as the main source of play. I'm sure the majority of complaints comes from a lot of online players because I would rage having to block 3 straight D3s lol. The game is truly lightyears better offline. Myself included, part of my anger towards the game stems from being forced to go to locals or friends houses to play good games. So I do agree with some of what you're saying, but I think people's concerns who aren't in love with the game are dismissed too often.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

A good example is a game like Marvel. Amazing game, but no way ever I could enjoy playing a game like that. Not my cup of tea, but I watch it.