What's new

Idea for training mode moves list addition in MKX and future games

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
So I had an idea which I thought could be useful for MKX, although if too late, then for games in the future by making use of the fact that the right analogue stick of a pad isn't used in MK games (or any 2d fighter as far as I'm aware).

I was thinking you could have a cropped version of the moves list on screen for training mode, showing 3 or 4 moves/string and you could scroll through the moves up or down using the right analogue stick, to prevent you from having to pause and go through the moves when learning a new character. You could also click down on the stick or move it left or right to switch between normals and specials.

Here's a rough preview to illustrate what I'm trying to explain

I know you don't want to get tagged in stuff too much but I thought this was a good idea that might be worth bringing to your attention. @colt

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
That's a good idea, I for once always forget the combo sequences and had to pause every minute to reread them. *Thumbs up*
Thanks, NRS did make an improvement for Injustice where you could tag a limited number of moves to stay on screen, but I think this would be better as it would mean not having to pause and go to the movelists at all but just naturally scroll through them.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Anything to streamline and improve training mode is good in my book!! I do like this idea though especially for the first couple months.

E

Eldriken

I'd like for them to show the hitbox for moves in training mode. Y'know, that way people can figure out what the hell has a ridiculous phantom hitbox (think of Doomsday's MB Venom) and hopefully get the shit fixed.

I'd be really happy if that kind of stuff wasn't present in MKX at all.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
You guys should look at the DoA 5 training mode. They do all the things you've mentioned and more. They show the advantage and disadvantage frames, as well as the distance of moves and their crush properties.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I'd like for them to show the hitbox for moves in training mode. Y'know, that way people can figure out what the hell has a ridiculous phantom hitbox (think of Doomsday's MB Venom) and hopefully get the shit fixed.

I'd be really happy if that kind of stuff wasn't present in MKX at all.
I completely agree, but that's not the purpose of this thread haha.
You guys should look at the DoA 5 training mode. They do all the things you've mentioned and more. They show the advantage and disadvantage frames, as well as the distance of moves and their crush properties.
They have a condensed move list that stays on screen while you practice, that you can scroll through without having to pause?

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King

They have a condensed move list that stays on screen while you practice, that you can scroll through without having to pause?
Yup and you scroll through using the right thumb stick. You can also press the right thumb stick to lock the move list as well.
You can also set it to show both players movelists if you want.

E

Eldriken

I know it's not the purpose of the thread. Just figured I'd throw it into the mix to go along with the idea. =P

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Oh also guys, Injustice has the lock novelist feature as well, you just press Y/Triangle in the movelist and it will lock the strings or specials you want to practice on the screen.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Yup and you scroll through using the right thumb stick. You can also press the right thumb stick to lock the move list as well.
You can also set it to show both players movelists if you want.
That's awesome. Hopefully NRS could add that too.
Oh also guys, Injustice has the lock novelist feature as well, you just press Y/Triangle in the movelist and it will lock the strings or specials you want to practice on the screen.
Yeah I did point that out, but like I said, that's not as useful as this would be for learning a new character.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I think we had a lot of threads concerning training mode since MKX was announced, not sure if this comes off a little late but it would be good to have, or at least taken in consideration for the future, good one tortoise.

But as for now, i'm more curious to see what we will get for the training mode, NRS is being so neat picky about everything with MKX, Hector used to give quick responses on changes concerning this stuff, remember when he said that we had an improved training mode in Injustice, that was awesome.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
I think we had a lot of threads concerning training mode since MKX was announced, not sure if this comes off a little late but it would be good to have, or at least taken in consideration for the future, good one tortoise.

But as for now, i'm more curious to see what we will get for the training mode, NRS is being so neat picky about everything with MKX, Hector used to give quick responses on changes concerning this stuff, remember when he said that we had an improved training mode in Injustice, that was awesome.
Yeah I know, back then all I was thinking about was "I WANT TO SEE HIT AND HURTBOXES", and it wasn't until recently when I realised how many characters I'm already excited to take to training mode did I think about the process you go through when learning someone new. That's when this occurred to me and I figured I had to just get it out there because I hadn't seen it done before.

But yeah we'll see more and more features over the coming months with their streams, I get why they want to keep a lot of stuff close to their chest for now,

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah I know, back then all I was thinking about was "I WANT TO SEE HIT AND HURTBOXES", and it wasn't until recently when I realised how many characters I'm already excited to take to training mode did I think about the process you go through when learning someone new. That's when this occurred to me and I figured I had to just get it out there because I hadn't seen it done before.

But yeah we'll see more and more features over the coming months with their streams, I get why they want to keep a lot of stuff close to their chest for now,
The first thread
http://testyourmight.com/threads/mkx-training-practice-mode-what-do-you-want-to-see.43591/

jun 24 -- http://testyourmight.com/threads/mk-x-training-mode-improvements.44267/

so you can have an idea of how many of those were created:

http://testyourmight.com/search/14581446/?q=training+mode&o=date&c[title_only]=1

I blame the mods for this mess, i think they should just stick one thread and merge any other who appears along the way, but unfortunatly our staff is not patient enough for these stuffs, and keep blaming the members to look up for these threads before posting, well, i just don't blame anyone, there is no way to tell since not everyone registed TYM on the same day the game was revealed, its just a matter of patience and pressing some buttons tho.

We solved a lot of mess in the Skarlet community most of the time by merging threads with similar topics.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
The first thread
http://testyourmight.com/threads/mkx-training-practice-mode-what-do-you-want-to-see.43591/

jun 24 -- http://testyourmight.com/threads/mk-x-training-mode-improvements.44267/

so you can have an idea of how many of those were created:

http://testyourmight.com/search/14581446/?q=training mode&o=date&c[title_only]=1

I blame the mods for this mess, i think they should just stick one thread and merge any other who appears along the way, but unfortunatly our staff is not patient enough for these stuffs, and keep blaming the members to look up for these threads before posting, well, i just don't blame anyone, there is no way to tell since not everyone registed TYM on the same day the game was revealed, its just a matter of patience and pressing some buttons tho.

We solved a lot of mess in the Skarlet community most of the time by merging threads with similar topics.
Yeah I see what you mean, but I didn't want this to get lost in those threads and not paid attention to. I felt this was a pretty big thing that's easy to do, would make a big difference and I can't see any reason for it to not be implemented.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah I see what you mean, but I didn't want this to get lost in those threads and not paid attention to. I felt this was a pretty big thing that's easy to do, would make a big difference and I can't see any reason for it to not be implemented.
As you can see, all these threads lost themselves in the wind because of how redundant they are.

If Paulo was already tagged in one of these threads and he has shown his interest on it, it wouldn't hurt for him to have this single one thread to keep coming back or put it on watch mode and check it everytime someone posts on them, even if someone makes a different thread all the mods had to do to help, was to merge them on the thread Paulo already shown his interest to. This way even the suggestions that came afterwards it would still be seen by him. So i really doubt your idea would've been lost. Hopefully its not too late tho.

This is one of the reasons why sometimes i think i should be mod, i like to post and stuff, but i also like to put things in order for a better info search and stuff.

@STORMS @colt @SneakyTortoise @Evil Eddy Wang

Do you guys think it necessary to make a sticky thread of suggested gameplay only features for MKX, in where the OP is updated with the communities ideas, so NRS doesn't have to go through the whole thread? This of course is as long as the person submitting the idea, gives good reason as to why they should be in the game, and does not just reflect personal opinion only.