What's new

I will NOT play at Final Round...

ShinBlanka

Thats right, because of all the bracket discussions, I have decided to drop from Final Round and volunteer myself to help make and run the brackets. I am in the know with who's who in this community, and as I will not be competing, will have NO vested interest in this tournament and will run the brackets with NO bias.

I would rather be blown up by all of you guys again about how I am washed up, cant compete vs the top players anymore, etc etc etc.. rather then have an event of this magnitude ruined because of players complaining about brackets.
fucking seriously? sure you're not biased, but man you've said many times that all you want to do is play. seriously the bracket thing is overblown and is already in the process of being worked out long term. just play. the kommunity wants that more

coolwhip

Noob
Tom, you've made your sacrifices for the community. And guess what? Even if your efforts to run brackets are appreciated, I bet you, 95% of the community, including the players who will be participating at Final Round, would rather see you play instead.

gdf

Noob
Go ahead and try Tom. People will always have something to critique (read as complaining) to try and make their game better than the rest.

Matix218

Get over here!
Tom the community really wants to see you compete (at least I do). I really think you should keep competing man, what you are able to do with sub zero in tournament against other top players/characters is amazing and IMO good for the community/tournament hype

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Oh ffs. This still occurs? Please do not allow yourselves to be blinded by lazyness and unwillingness to change. I am very interested in Pig's new endeavor. It promotes pre-reg, and gives much more incentive to do so. Tom, I understand you are trying to make a point, but a TOP PLAYER should not be making the brackets.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Seriously, computers can do this stuff so easily and without bias. There's no need to exclude yourself, Tom.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Tom Brady the whole point of revamping the seeding system is to NOT have players setting it up arbitrarily according to how they think it should be. The point is to base it ONLY off true results data and location, and the rest by true randomization.

So you assuming responsibility for the brackets would actually be counterproductive to fairness -- and as much as I respect your knowledge of the community, it's time we step away from doing brackets this way altogether.. And just set them up based on the hard facts.

And also.. You need to be playing :)

Seriously, computers can do this stuff so easily and without bias. There's no need to exclude yourself, Tom.
Exactly.

Noob
Bill, I personally would love to see you play at FR. I know you've been a TO before and know how to seed/run brackets. Your real talent at this is not seeding/running brackets. MK promotion is your best skill. You show up, people watch. You compete, people watch.

Think of my VSM streams. No Tom Brady = 150-200 viewers. With Tom Brady =300-500 viewers.

You want FR and other tournaments to be super successful? Play. You have lots of haters, yes, but even the haters love you. Everyone loves to see you play, win or lose, good or bad. Harness that and use it for what you can: to get more people playing and competing at MK tournaments around the country.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Bill, I personally would love to see you play at FR. I know you've been a TO before and know how to seed/run brackets. Your real talent at this is not seeding/running brackets. MK promotion is your best skill. You show up, people watch. You compete, people watch.

Think of my VSM streams. No Tom Brady = 150-200 viewers. With Tom Brady =300-500 viewers.

You want FR and other tournaments to be super successful? Play. You have lots of haters, yes, but even the haters love you. Everyone loves to see you play, win or lose, good or bad. Harness that and use it for what you can: to get more people playing and competing at MK tournaments around the country.
THIS.

Also, FR is still several months away. Who knows what kind of progress we will make with the seeding process during that time.

Tom, I honestly think that you should hold off on making an announcement like this for at least a couple more months.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Shin Blanka plans to seed by using recent top 8 placements w NFG top 20 and everything else is randomized by location
The reasons for replacing NFG are multifold. But here are the 3 big ones:

1) It's biased and imcomplete. The way rankings are done is completely unfair to all players that put their hard work in to compete. For example, Denzell leading a top4 of MIT, pboard, and WonderChef at Revelations, is worth SEVEN TIMES the points that Dizzy receives for beating Perfect Legend and CD Jr. to get 1st at Season's Beatings: Ascension. Air-Dog21 gets more points for being 5th at Rev than CD Jr. gets for being 4th at SBA (and they didn't even count Junior's placing, or anyone below 3rd at SBA). M2dave is barely on the list because they decided to count only one of his placements. Etc.

2) Not only is the data wrong -- but it doesn't include nearly enough top players, and that's a problem that is easily be fixed now that we have just about all the tourney placement data for every relevant tournament. If we have a tourney with riu48, Cat, Showtime, Winterwarz, and 60 other people, we can still seed that -- and by NFG standards it'd be impossible. All of these guys have received some great placements at top tournaments -- and if they happen to be the top players of a relevant tourney, there's no reason why we can't seed them.

3) There is a much better, and fairer way to arrange people by performance than even their placement numbers; and that's do it based only on the results of who they've beaten, and lost to, in relevant tournaments. Doing this strips away all factors of random point assignments and subjective opinions about how "good" a tournament was.. If there's a good representation of players there, and you beat top players, you're rewarded accordingly by the math of who you beat.

Ranking systems like this one are used for everything from Major League Baseball to the Chess Federation to Microsoft's TrueSkill rankings. Because they work, and if the data is correct you cannot rig the outcome.

To summarize --I'm going to repeat that NFG is completely unfair and doesn't reflect a complete picture of top tourey results. If we have a much better alternative, there is absolute 0 reason to use a broken, arbitrary, biased, and wholly imcomplete system.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
And put another way:

Every real sport (with maybe the exception of college football) has a real statistics system, and seeing as the FGC+Esports is well on it's way to being a legitimate sport, with increasing audiences and more money being put on the line, we need to start being smart, fair, and far more professional about how we lay out the playing field.