What's new

Tech How to use the Shield Stance

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Seems like a very generic strategy would be to play very strict footsies in lasso until you have a 30% lead and then end the next combo in sword stance and lame out 40 seconds worth of time. This 40 seconds of lame out would give you plenty of opportunities to chip them or d1 spam them if they try to come out.
Yea, pretty much. When they're forced to come to you, you can always threaten the Ex Shield too.

Can you get a free throw after ex shield on block?

If sword stance means that she takes at most 1% chip from every character in the game it sounds like the kind of stance where you just take your time and net yourself small leads.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Can you get a free throw after ex shield on block?

If sword stance means that she takes at most 1% chip from every character in the game it sounds like the kind of stance where you just take your time and net yourself small leads.
So far I've not found anything gauranteed off of a blocked ex Shield. But you can always go for another shield bash because it will come out in 2 frames, which can then be block confirmed if you need to make it safe.

Droogy

Lets Fight Like Gentlemen
alrighty then, I have a question. I'm still having a hard time finding a situation other than when your dealing with a huge amount of keep-away chip damage or need to get out of a corner I'm having a hard time sacrificing the utility and power of the lasso stance to go into shield stance.

even in the corner the stance change is so slow that I can't find a real reason to use it there either, in what situation does this stance truly become useful? I may simply just be dense or something but it feels like a huge risk, even though I have learned quite alot from the thread, espcially with the 22 sheild bash tech, thats a good get off me

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
I'm also trying to find good situations to transition into shield stance. I find the best way to do this is by trait-cancelling any of your strings while in lasso stance to switch stances without giving up too much pressure or advantage.

What are you guys doing after a blocked F3 and EX shield bash? Both have huge frame advantages on block, but I find the opponent gets pushed too far back for her to continue any sort of pressure. I can use J2 to stuff any of their attempts but if they block it, it's a free punish for them since it's unsafe. Any ideas?

Exar0s

Cassie Cage <3
alrighty then, I have a question. I'm still having a hard time finding a situation other than when your dealing with a huge amount of keep-away chip damage or need to get out of a corner I'm having a hard time sacrificing the utility and power of the lasso stance to go into shield stance.

even in the corner the stance change is so slow that I can't find a real reason to use it there either, in what situation does this stance truly become useful? I may simply just be dense or something but it feels like a huge risk, even though I have learned quite alot from the thread, espcially with the 22 sheild bash tech, thats a good get off me
You get a free switch if you knock the opponent down. You can also switch to SS during LS combos, example: B113, Trait, F1, 11B1, 11B1, 11B1, 11 Shield Bash = 46% in corner and keeps your SS out.

DYNA$TY

Edenia lives!
I've been thinking, would cancelling a blocked string into a trait cancel, for example: blocked B11~Sword~Parry be a safe way to transition? I haven't tested it, just a thought. I remember NkdSingularity tested Shield Parry on block and it was safe, not -12.

Droogy

You get a free switch if you knock the opponent down. You can also switch to SS during LS combos, example: B113, Trait, F1, 11B1, 11B1, 11B1, 11 Shield Bash = 46% in corner and keeps your SS out.
ok but my issue is WHY would you switch to the stance when you get the knockdown, to me you have twice the options for a mix-up and to deal with wake-up attacks in Lasso Stance than ins Sheild Stance, yea if your in the corner and KNOW you can hit that combo thats great, but really you can do dirty combos in the corner in Lasso stance too and you don't have to worry about switching back to the superior stance.

Droogy

I may need a example fo a match that uses this strat because to me rushdown works 10x better with lasso stance, I'm only using Sheild stance for turtling

I'm probably just a ignorant bafoon who can't see the strat working in his head so if you know of any vids or anything, they would be appreciated cause without lasso's mobility I don't see the rush-down capabilities

Droogy

your still not understanding what i'm wanting, you have to open up defense in a match to start your rushdown, I don't see the point in using shield stance and having less mix-up opportunities, a match where shield stance wins the match or something is what I need to see this cause every WW I see on streams and such is all lasso, all the time, unless they turtle

Xev

Noob
Yeah, I prefer Lasso in the neutral game much more. While you may get some gimmick hits in when people are unfamiliar with her s/s strings, once they catch on they can punish you (especially if you go for b21 in s/s). I usually only go for it if I land 33, 23 in the corner and go for 11b1 loops. Even then I tend to switch back, need to tinker more with s/s...

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
The more i'm playing with WW, the more i'm starting to appreciate shield stance. Overall, I agree... lasso stance is the way to go for her neutral game. But once you get the opponent into the corner or get a knockdown, shield stance is better up close imo. Her basic attacks in this stance have better frames, and J2 cross-up with the sword is a lot more ambiguous than her cross-ups in lasso stance, it seems to open up a lot more opponents for me. Overall you're sacrificing mobility for added pressure, but honestly she can surprisingly cover a lot of ground with her ground dash and shield bash alone. And this isn't even taking into account her 1-frame parry!

Droogy

ok that made alot more sense to me, plus dookiagains video guide also helped me a bit

That said I still find the combos harder to hit and I think another one of my issues is that ONLINE, other than turtling I can't find much use since I have to rely on a good connection and honestly I have to be relatively safe and stick to what works. I just now and starting to incorporate WW real BnB's with B3 and still barely hit them online.

So until somebody finds a way to use this stance outside of the corner or for defensive play I think I'll be sticking to the more rushdown oriented stance outside of situational stuff

plus that stance seems to be REALLY meter inefficient (I know WW barely uses meter but I like being able to MB intractables whenever I want)

Yea I find that her shield stance is good for poking. When playing some people, I find it easier to get to them with the shield stance. I think her shield throw coves more range than her little tiara throw but I'll check that today

Sailorblade

Mains mostly hotties
I'm trying to work her SS into my gameplay, I say her mix-up and pressure is better in there and does better against zoners. Heh what do I know though, I still suck.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I'm trying to work her SS into my gameplay, I say her mix-up and pressure is better in there and does better against zoners. Heh what do I know though, I still suck.
The main reasons I use the stance are:

- Ambiguous crossover 2s, if you hit this you get a 49% combo for 1 bar
- Untechable knockdowns
- Massively reduced chip against zoners

Droogy

hmm, I need to learn some trait cancelling, though I still can't hit the Lasso after the B113 after the J3 anyway so I gotta really master that combo first

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
J2, 22 trait ex tiara B113 23 B3 J3 B113 Lasso
Nice, I might just steal that! The combo I normally use is: J2, 22, ex shield toss, 2, trait, lasso spin, 23, B3, J3, B113, lasso grab
I'm pretty sure the combo I use is character-specific and it misses on smaller opponents like catwoman. I'll have to give this other combo a whirl.

Droogy

Nice, I might just steal that! The combo I normally use is: J2, 22, ex shield toss, 2, trait, lasso spin, 23, B3, J3, B113, lasso grab
I'm pretty sure the combo I use is character-specific and it misses on smaller opponents like catwoman. I'll have to give this other combo a whirl.
that seems to be a issue with quite a few of WW's combos, missing in particular catwoman unless your perfect with timing

that seems to be a issue with quite a few of WW's combos, missing in particular catwoman unless your perfect with timing
is it catwoman specific. now that i think of it. last night i was playing vs my friends catwoman. and it seems alot of my mids whiff on crouching catwoman attacks.

is this the norm for mid attacks to whiff crouchers? or is it just catwoman?