What's new

Tech How to use the Shield Stance

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Mash D1s (+3 on block, 7f start up, +12 on hit)
Hit confirm D1s and then you can either
- 22, if the 22 hits you can either do shield bash, or shield toss MB 22 bash for standing reset for 30%
- If they block the MB bash you're +9, so either mash D1s or jump 2.

Jump 2 will catch backdashes and jump backs, if they jump back do your air to air move into D2 -> trait -> Lasso combo.

Basically its all mash D1s and do jumping 2s.
When you have them cornered you can do B23 and B21 mixups all day if their wakeups suck.

Will update as I figure out more dirt

Glass Sword

Nobody
After a blocked d1 in the corner I believe you can check with b1.
If that lands you get 43% off of b1, f1, 11b1, 11b1, 11b1, 11b1, f12-shield bash.
I may have gotten the reps wrong.

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
Her b3 is -5 on block and has little range, but her f3 is +7 and advances almost as far as her forward dash.
Her sweep is 8 frames and -1 on block.

Midscreen; f3, ji2, f1, 22bf3 does 29%.
b3, ji3, 22bf3 does 31%. So use b3MB against things like Doomsdays Supernova.

Corner; f3, nj2, f1, 11b1 x3, f12bf3 does 41% and is easy.
Doing 11b1 x4 gives 44% but has much stricter timing.
j2, 2b1bf3, 11b1 x4, f12bf3 does 53%.

Edit; added j2 corner combo.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
What do you think about 112? i7 +2 on block, knd on hit
More useful in the corner since you can combo off of it.
The issue I'm trying to get around with the stance is midscreen, how to keep a continuous offense, or push the opponent to the corner.
Her 11 strings dont really work midscreen IMO, unless you found a way to make it work?

Saying that though just had a thought for it, gonna test now.

DYNA$TY

Edenia lives!
Haven't really found anything, just an idea. I guess you could use it as a frame trap after a blocked D1.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I love her shield n Sword stance. I play her like Nightwing in Staff mode. Pokey Poke all day, and mix it up with 1,1 shield bash. Add a couple of D1's, and B2 F1 or B2 B3 and she a mix up Goddess. Don't know why others complain about her stance change saying it's bad, I love it.

UltHigher

My fix is fighters
In the shield stance I really like mashing f1s alot when i managed to get them in the corner and try not to switch stances when theyre standing, knock them down first.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I've got quite a bit of dirt with her shield stance, she's basically Doomsday 2.0 in shield stance.

Shield bash on hit gaurantees a D3 attempt (cant backdash), if that hits then you can pressure on wakeup or do a 5050 cross over attempt.

B21 gives an untechable knockdown that also gives the 5050crossup and repeated B21/B23
attempts.

Any1 know if shield stance parry is untechable too?

I play wonder woman and just cant find a place for my ShieldStance. Midscreen it seems too slow and unplayable. Is wonder woman the worst characther in this game.? It seems that ww has to do so much work to get in with her combos ( LIKE KL IN MK ) and others press one or two buttons to "dominate"

Gotta say that i havent played that much so there might be a reason for my anger..

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Has no one realize how ridiculous back 2, 3/back 2, 1 is?

Seriously, in the corner it's a non-stop 50/50 that starts low.

If the first hit lands do 1(the low), if the first hit is blocked(they have to block the first hit low so they're crouching) do 3(the overhead). After the knockdown do it again but finish with 1, after that it's all 50/50.

That's what generally works for me, but it's all 50/50 when you really look at it.

EDIT:

I've got quite a bit of dirt with her shield stance, she's basically Doomsday 2.0 in shield stance.
Shield bash on hit gaurantees a D3 attempt (cant backdash), if that hits then you can pressure on wakeup or do a 5050 cross over attempt.

B21 gives an untechable knockdown that also gives the 5050crossup and repeated B21/B23
attempts.

Any1 know if shield stance parry is untechable too?

NVM I guess i'm too late.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I don't know about her 50/50. b21 is -8 on block and has no pushback, it also has so much blockstun that it gives the opponent so much time to buffer a d1 punish that even this little of a minus on block doesn't save her. It also can't be canceled into anything to make it safe on block. My advice, if you want to use it, do a b2, then b21. The risk/reward is not in WW's favor.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I don't know about her 50/50. b21 is -8 on block and has no pushback, it also has so much blockstun that it gives the opponent so much time to buffer a d1 punish that even this little of a minus on block doesn't save her. It also can't be canceled into anything to make it safe on block. My advice, if you want to use it, do a b2, then b21. The risk/reward is not in WW's favor.
She gets a cross over attempt on hit.
If you dont wanna worry about the punish just use B23 instead.

Another thing I noticed with the SS, if you're against a projectile heavy character get the life lead, switch to Sword and you can pretty much turtle them out to the end of the timer if the lifelead is big enough. The reduced chip means that characters like Sinestro and Green Arrow can barely scratch her if she blocks correctly at full screen say.

It's the ultimate turtle stance.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
She gets a cross over attempt on hit.
If you dont wanna worry about the punish just use B23 instead.

Another thing I noticed with the SS, if you're against a projectile heavy character get the life lead, switch to Sword and you can pretty much turtle them out to the end of the timer if the lifelead is big enough. The reduced chip means that characters like Sinestro and Green Arrow can barely scratch her if she blocks correctly at full screen say.

It's the ultimate turtle stance.
Anyone know the actual % of reduced chip? I'm at work right now and wont be able to lab it till I get home. But this is a great strategy if you ask me, in certain situations of coarse.

Exar0s

Cassie Cage <3
Anyone know the actual % of reduced chip? I'm at work right now and wont be able to lab it till I get home. But this is a great strategy if you ask me, in certain situations of coarse.
I have heard from several people the chip is reduced by half of the amount it would be normally. So if you were going to take 2% chip on a projectile it would be reduced to 1%. I can't confirm this right now though. Thanks for all the work in the thread everyone. I have started using the S&S mixups and even switching mid combo to S&S in the corner for huge damage.

B113, TRAIT, F1, 11B1, 11B1, 11B1, 11 MB Shield Bash = 46% in the corner (I'm at work right now but it might have just been two 11B1's instead of three)

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
So with a 40% life lead you have 40 seconds of turtle power?
Its gonna vary by the character, KF wont be able to hurt you, neither will Raven. GA stands no chance if you can react and block accordingly to lows/overheads. Sinestro will have to use alot of meter.
But in general yeah, a 40% life lead will be very long for them to get back by using projectiles.

The only 1 you cant out turtle that way is DS, cause he can get his unblockable bullet trait up, but you can dash in after you block high guns, and if you block more high guns you can punish with shield bash.

Against Cyborg you may aswell use bracelets.

Its gonna vary by the character, KF wont be able to hurt you, neither will Raven. GA stands no chance if you can react and block accordingly to lows/overheads. Sinestro will have to use alot of meter.
But in general yeah, a 40% life lead will be very long for them to get back by using projectiles.
Seems like a very generic strategy would be to play very strict footsies in lasso until you have a 30% lead and then end the next combo in sword stance and lame out 40 seconds worth of time. This 40 seconds of lame out would give you plenty of opportunities to chip them or d1 spam them if they try to come out.

Or actually now that I think of it you could also play her in 15 second blocks where every b23 on hit means you have 15 seconds of lame time or something