What's new

How to Build Certain Fundamentals? Read Before Posting

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Another huge part in building my fundamentals is using a character with many bad/hard matchups. It literally forces me to think extremely hard because not only can that one right read be their healthbar... That one wrong read can be mine.
That's actually a huge reason I still play joker. Sure his teeth shit is fun but I really want to get better at fighting game fundamentals and at his core he is a fundamental character. I feel if I had picked prepatch supes or black Adam I probably could have gotten a lot of wins. But would I have learned anything?
I think a big part of learning fundamentals is losing and wanting to understand both why you lost and how you can improve in those situations in the future. I have learned a lot from playing with the GGA guys and I'm really gonna miss playing with them every week but I think they have given me a much better understanding of how to approach fg's. Hopefully I can be more than just a jobber in MKX, but let's not hold out breath
:joker:

sn1kzZe

Noob
stay in shape and reactions will be faster, when you're fit you can focus for longer periods and be more sharp on reflexes.

If you played any sports and stopped you'll know what I'm talking about.

You can have great/above average reactions but still have crappy reactions in fighting games. Just like you can have poor reactions but still have great fighting game reactions.

It's easier to react to one light toggling between red and green because there's only 2 expected options, nothing else to think about and no distractions. The thing with fighting games is that you are constantly in motion and thinking about resource management + time + spacing + screen positioning. You have all those variables to think about on top of facing a human opponent who is able to condition you, feint and mixup his mixups. Not to mention the fact that they are constantly in motion as well.

Raw reaction doesn't get you far in fighting games. In truth it's your matchup knowledge, spacing awareness and your ability to make reads that decides if you have good reactions in a particular fighting game.

One example that comes to mind is how Fuudo is able to Ultra Adon's Jaguar Kick on reaction. Something considered to be inhuman by many. But what allows Fuudo to react so quickly with Ultra is that he is constantly buffering Rekkas at mid-range. So he only needs to react with qcf+PPP which still requires good execution and good reaction. But on top of that he is anticipating Adon to throw a Jaguar Kick because he is standing at a spacing that favors this option. If Fuudo was standing a few inches closer or further away, he might not be able to react in time because he's not buffering Rekka and not expecting Jaguar Kick at those other ranges.

So even if Fuudo is known for his godlike reactions, it's his understanding of spacing, matchups and his ability to make reads that allows him to react so much quicker than the average high level player.

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
training ("no pain, no gain"), brainy intelligence to understand how the gameplay works, dedication to attack and defense learning curve, and some dose of natural gift talent + some bit minor luck factor ..... :p

being a observer and being not a stubborn helps a lot too .... :D

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I feel like SF helped me develop decent fundamentals that carried over to MK9, but the footsie game is different, as someone stated above. SF did help me learn to find proper spacing with different characters that is invaluable. The first thing I look for when choosing a character is a fast walk speed. Being able to walk backwards and cause your opponent to whiff is strong in any game. I also look for advancing moves that can help me punish whiffed moves. For example, Raiden's B312, or Baraka's blade charge. Finally, I learn a characters anti air options and where I need to be on the screen to be successful with it. I tend to play within that area for obvious reasons. Playing within that area can give you a huge advantage over someone that isn't consistent with the basics. Within that area you are in control. If they jump, anti air. If they walk forward, you can walk backwards a little and maybe they will attack, setting you up for a whiff punish.

As you get older your reaction time dwindles. Having a strong understanding of the basics and spacing can help you go a long way. Look at Alex Valle. He still has good reactions, but he wins a lot from being patient and spacing out his opponent. Essentially, letting them beat themselves. One thing someone can do to improve their footsie game is to play the A.I. I know it sounds silly, but you can practice basics such as anti airing, whiff punishing, etc. against a bot. Plus, it will help you find that sweet spot on the screen with each character.

Below is a video of a guy using strictly fundamentals on SF and taking it online. I'm sure some of this can convert to our games. Enjoy.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I think footsies come naturally from playing someone better than you.

The only way that you are going to win games is if you make better decisions than your opponent. The most important area in the match is neutral...that's where everything begins and defaults back to.

If you are playing against someone that is better at the neutral than you, in time you should be able to develop strategies to counter their neutral and as such make the matchup a little easier for yourself. When you have a scene and it's constantly evolving your footsies and abilities grow at a phenominal rate due to the exposure and necessity of leveling up to compete.

@CrimsonShadow, @GGA 16 Bit hit it spot on with me having to learn certain things (like footsies) to be able to compete with my brother. Pretty much with every fighting game me and DJT have played, he has started out whooping my ass lmao and this is no exaggeration (back when we started with sf4, it took me like 200 times just to get one win on his sagat lol). Anyways, we have been playing footsies before we even knew what they were, but when mk9 came out, we truly understood what they were. Now about a year into mk9, my bro changed his play style up a lot and started to be super patient and utilize immaculate spacing.
So one day, he decided to go lao vs my cage and in the past I pretty much always beat his lao in sets. Sure enough, he started marking my cage and I was in shock and was thinking "what has changed". Then eventually I realized how he was spacing me with lao's standing 2 and etc. and how I kept running into his normals. So to counter this, I decided that I would play how he was playing so I could win and compete with him. Sure enough what I did worked and I started getting wins vs his lao with my cage once again.
In conclusion, me nd my brother pretty much feed off each other and level each other up. I used to hate fighting games and always lose to DJT in them. Eventually I decided that I was tired of losing so I put my foot down and leveled up so I could compete with DJT and now we always train with each other and level each other up. That's how I learned my fundamentals.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I'm gonna revive this thread kind of because it interests me. I think footsies are certainly learnable as well as everything else. In my opinion, fighting games are all about solving the problems your opponent give you. If the answer to something is outspacing them, if you want to win enough, you'll learn to do it. And then they will need a solution to that. It goes back and forth and suddenly, bam, footsies. It explains players like bit and the terry brothers and anyone who is good just because they put the time in. This is why I feel I was good at mk but I know I'm terrible at injustice. In mk I put in the work to develop my game. In injustice I just never bothered.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I was doing things Like spacing out gnasher shots in close shotgun fights gears since I started playing. Some of it wound up applying to fighters

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
When I want to improve my footsie game, I set my own rules for only me in matches. For example, I won't jump forwards a single time in 30 straight matches. This forces me to space properly and get better at my footsie and ground game. I did this for nearly a month straight in UMK3, and was known for my footsies in that game.

I would equate them to "drills" in other games, such as pool. In pool, one drill you do is practice the exact same shot thousands of times in a row. You could either be working on your stroke, form, shot, grip, aim, etc.

The hardest part of "weaknesses" is actually figuring yours out. After you realize what your weaknesses are, fixing or improving them isn't nearly as hard as you may think. You have to just focus on them and work on them instead of just playing like you normally do hoping they'll improve on their own.

Save for natural talent, success in fighting games comes down to when and with whom you started playing. I say this as a successful college athlete who, frankly, doesn't have what it takes to win big in the FGC.

Once you reach a certain age, you either have it or you don't. This is not to say that there aren't a few Randy Valardes or Gennaro Gattussos in the FGC--the kind of guys who win out of sheer knowledge and/or will-power.

Lbsh, CDjr is a derp because grew up competing against CDsr and Maxter. No cerebrum necessary, only instinct. I suspect the same could be said for 16bit--playing Slips at a young age.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
When I want to improve my footsie game, I set my own rules for only me in matches. For example, I won't jump forwards a single time in 30 straight matches. This forces me to space properly and get better at my footsie and ground game. I did this for nearly a month straight it UMK3, and was known for my footsies in that game.

I would equate them to "drills" in other games, such as pool. In pool, one drill you do is practice the exact same shot thousands of times in a row. You could either be working on your stroke, form, shot, grip, aim, etc.

The hardest part of "weaknesses" is actually figuring yours out. After you realize what your weaknesses are, fixing or improving them isn't nearly as hard as you may think. You have to just focus on them and work on them instead of just playing like you normally do hoping they'll improve on their own.
I may just try that next time I play. Learning to fight a character like kenshi without the crutch of jumping forward over sc (something most players try too often) could really help learn how to be both creative as a player and work on fundamentals.

Prior before reading SonicHurricane's footsie guide and watching multiple vids about footsies from Alex Valle and Juicebox, I used to jump and dash like crazy. Now I attempt to play matches without even jumping, and most importantly, learning to walk forward. One of the most essential parts of having a good neutral game is knowing to when to walk forward, to either bait a reaction from you opponent, or close ground.

Despite injustice's slow walkspeed I still try to walk forward. Although I hate the slow walk speed, I still use it because with enough practice, being able to walk in and out of an opponents attack range will be that much easier over time. I even managed to walk up grab to someone in the corner in injustice, felt like a million bucks when I pulled it off lol. Still practicing though, I run drills every time when I get the chance in injustice.