What's new

How does the Kommunity feel about coaching?

How do you feel about coaching during offline tournaments?

• It's up to the player to know his/her matchups, its 1v1 not 1v1 and his matchup police..

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Less chance of catching an opponent off guard with a match up or tech they are unaware of.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Yelling at your team mate from the crowd is one thing, but coming on stage/to the set up?..

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Not a big deal at all...

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • I couldn't care less.

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

XXFleshtrapXX

imma eat choo!
I'm am not a offline tourney player, so in someways I feel my own opinion on the subject maybe moot to a certain degree. However I'm wondering if this subject has been touched on before, as it came to my attention that coaching wasn't supposed to be allowed at NEC apparently. I want to understand why it wouldn't be allowed in some tournaments, and in most others it's just simply accepted with little to know thought of the matter.

Most of all I'd like to know how everyone else in general feels about it.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I agree with Soonk, most of the time it has nothing to do with match ups, it's just slowing your teamate down and getting him to think about what went wrong in the last match,

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
A coach is for a team. fighting games, or at least this iteration of mortal kombat should be two people faced off to see who is better.

Cool whip said this below, I concede my point.

" I know this is a flawed analogy but there is coaching in boxing and MMA. So I'm fine with it in MK."

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
You shoulda seen me at MLG Dallas. People would hate me as a coach pretty quickly, LOL.

Anyway, I see no reason why coaches should be outlawed. They add to the hype and can keep the players from slipping into braindead styles of play. Although some would argue that coaches can distract the players a little too much, but it's all a matter of preference, really.

XXFleshtrapXX

imma eat choo!
I agree with Soonk, most of the time it has nothing to do with match ups, it's just slowing your teamate down and getting him to think about what went wrong in the last match,
This is the reason I put the thread up, I want insight on how the community feels as a whole. My personal opinion is that if anything coaching maybe one of the major factors in the community leveling up. Competition has gotten extremely steep in MK9 because their are so many honestly good players. In some ways its sad there can only be 1 top 8, 1 overall winner etc, simply because from what I've seen there are very few if any straight up bad players that attend offline MK tournaments. In the end, good or not, someones not gonna make it outta pools lol.

Justice

Noob
I don't mind it as long as it's in between matches and not shouted out to distract the other player. Besides, shouting is dumb since you're giving away your gameplan so either your opponent knows what you're gonna do or what you're not gonna do.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
It's pretty cool. I have seen people do it before, and thought it was awkward, but if no one days anything about it why not.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
I think the coaching ban needs to be enforced more and have actual penalties. It's up to the competitor at the stage to figure out his/her opponent's patterns and playstyle, not his teammates. It's a lot easier to see what's going on when there's no pressure on you, so I think it's a bullshit advantage to have your buddies helping you out while the other person sits there and follows the rules. If coaching were explicitly allowed, then that's a different story.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I don't like it personally. It would annoy me as the other player to sit there and wait while my opponent talks to someone and stalls the match. I don't really know if it should be banned, but I like leaving things up to the player to make their own adjustments.

Plus if both players are listening to 1 person coaching, it can create new problems within the meta game since you won't 100% know if the person being coached is going to adjust do the advice they were given.

Also, LBSH it just looks shady or something when it is caught on stream for whatever reason.

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
i think its fair as long as its between sets and there is a 30 sec time between sets and no exceptions in exceeding its time limit like in boxing, as soon as you here the ding ding its on and no one should stall the game.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Coaching and timeouts are a strategical part of many sports. It's up to the people responsible for making the tournament rules to decide on this.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
I don't like it personally. It would annoy me as the other player to sit there and wait while my opponent talks to someone and stalls the match. I don't really know if it should be banned, but I like leaving things up to the player to make their own adjustments.

Plus if both players are listening to 1 person coaching, it can create new problems within the meta game since you won't 100% know if the person being coached is going to adjust do the advice they were given.

Also, LBSH it just looks shady or something when it is caught on stream for whatever reason.
tired of having your gimmicks exposed?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
tired of having your gimmicks exposed?
No to me it is just more of an unsportsmanlike type of thing. Maybe not the right word, but something about it just doesn't feel right... I don't think it is a crazy huge issue though or anything, just giving my opinion. What I dislike the most is that it kind of interrupts the flow of the match and can stall things.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
No to me it is just more of an unsportsmanlike type of thing. Maybe not the right word, but something about it just doesn't feel right... I don't think it is a crazy huge issue though or anything, just giving my opinion. What I dislike the most is that it kind of interrupts the flow of the match and can stall things.
ever hear of a timeout?