What's new

How do you feel about spamming in IGAU?

MajinRY

PSN: MajinRY
@LiangHuBBB we played earlier in a koth on ps4 I'd be up for some games whenever. In regards to the op it's mainly just people who feel as though you're at fault for them being unable to adapt, just laugh it off I find hatemail hilarious

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
The goal of a fighting game is to win. You play to win, by any means necessary. Don't like it, don't play. Case closed.

Edit: I said goal, not purpose. You can still hve fun but there will always be a winner, keep that in mind.

Last edited:

KiD INsAnitY

Z of The Leaf -Team R.A.N
Spam??Fuck all that..Win at all cost by ANY MEANS ..If I can beat you with 1 or 2 moves then damn straight I'm gonna "Spam" that shit. IDGAF if you don't like it MK/INJ is serious shit if you cant handle it then gtfo.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
My dad and I once discussed the idea of 'spamming' and the analogy I came up with to dispel its existence is, unfortunately for some of you who might want to read this post, physics-related.

Look at the following words - "centrifugal force" or "centrifuge". You may have seen those terms before, and they may be definable, but they are based on falsities.

(In the spoiler is a description of centrifugal/centripetal force.)
There is no such thing as a centrifugal force, the correct term is "centripetal force". The centrifuge is a machine which is named after centrifugal force, a fictitious force.

Think about an object moving in a circle, let's take a person in a car as an example. Say the person in the car takes a turn left. You could say that the person in the car would feel their body being pulled to the right. This 'force' pulling the person to the right is what's defined as centrifugal force. BUT IT'S WRONG. WRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONG. You could say that the person is being pulled to the right by this magical, wondrous centrifugal force, but in terms of physics it'd be completely wrong.

What's actually happening, in terms of physics, is that the car is being affected by centripetal force. Believe it or not, the person is only being affected by Newton's First Law of Motion which states that if an object is initially travelling at a certain velocity (ie. at a certain speed in a certain direction), it will continue to travel at that same velocity unless acted on by an external force (I'll explain it below the next paragraph).

As the car turns the corner, it is travelling around the circumference of a "circle". The centripetal force, provided by the tires of the car which turn to face in the direction the car will travel in, cause the car to start moving towards the centre of this "circle" but the car will never actually reach this centre. Instead it will just move along the "circle's" circumference.

The person is not actually being pulled to the right as some might think.
Before the car reaches the turn, it is (probably) moving in a relatively straight line. The car is travelling at a speed, this moves everything attached inside the car at the same speed including the seats, the seat moves the person. So the person is being pushed along at the same speed as the car by the seat. The force affecting the person before the turn is moving the person in a straight line.
When the car begins to turn, it is being affected by the centripetal force, but not the person. The person is not literally attached to or a part of the car. The only moving force affecting the person so far is coming from the seat of the car and is only moving the person forward. So as the car begins to turn the person is still moving directly forward (because of Newton's First Law of Motion) and will continue to unless another force moves them in another direction. The force that moves the person in the direction the car turns comes from the seatbelt and/or the door (depending on where the person in the car is sitting) and is the same centripetal force moving the entire car. If for some reason the person isn't wearing a seatbelt then the friction from the seat will act as the centripetal force moving their body in the direction the car is turning.

In the same way, the term "spamming" is like the term "centrifugal force". Even though the idea of it exists and it can be defined, it's merely a phrase used by people who don't know what the fuck they're doing/talking about. "Spamming" is to "centrifugal force" as "zoning" is to "centripetal force".
It's also like a unicorn. Can you see it? Nope. Can you define it? Yeah. Well unless it's been proven to exist (which it hasn't) then it doesn't exist.

Rodrigue

Spongerod
Here's a wild idea: why not stop playing some random scrubs and get salty everytime they call you spammer or ragequit?
I've already challenged you a couple of times to a few friendly matches in one of the threads here but never heard from you again.

Last edited:
Ferris Aircraft....

Well, I honestly get more offended if people stop using a certain move on me because they think they're spamming. I want my opponent to respect me enough that they won't limit themselves and will use all their best tools to win.

However, I'll actually leave an exhibition set after just one game if a player insists on picking a certain stage that gives them player an obvious advantage. Ferris Aircraft is a prominent example for characters like Sinestro and Deathstroke as it heavily favors them. I'd rather just play at a stage that doesn't give either player the advantage, so we aren't constantly going back to character select so we can 50/50 to get our own advantage stage back. Just a good neutral stage so we can rematch faster.

Last edited:

wselak

Noob
@LiangHuBBB this was a funny video! i just play the zoning style when i feel like it. the opponent can do whatever they want lol. there are counters and counter characters to everything in fighting games right? i have xbox1 now and people rage over kinect its pretty funny. if you have xbone we can play some games. i wont get ps4 till later next year. i remember we played a few times in sf4 when i was new ;)

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I've rarely actually played someone that "spams." I'm surprised so many have said it doesn't exist because it very well does. I've played against deathstrokes that have done nothing but low gun shots before....not even taking a step. It's very rare, but it happens. That is spamming. It will not give them the W, but it's there.

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
Anyone who complains about spamming can just hold that shit. If that's how they define a tactic they're probably not worth playing anyway. I didn't play a ton of igau but the hate mail I get for spamming in mk9 usually comes from awful players.

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
I wonder what @General M2Dave would say? :DOGE

On topic, all i read from that guy's post was as follows: "Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch i want easy wins bitch bitch bitch i can't adapt to any sort of strategy involving projectiles bitch bitch bitch bitch i suck at this game."

This is not the point. I agree that it's perfectly valid to exploit an intended or unintended, strong, legal tactic in a game, but the question is should the tactic be in the game or should it be strong or weak? Does its inclusion make the game more competitive or less competitive?

Fighting games shouldn't allow spamming to be that strong. I have used this example before: Does anyone believe that if the NBA had never created a 24 second shot clock, to stop stalling(a kind of spamming), that the game would be better? Does anyone think the game would be better with stalling and with no shot clock? The answer is no. The game would be worse if stalling were still a viable tactic. The repeated use of a strong, easy to use attack(spamming) shouldn't be strong in a fg, at least that's what I think.
This where the distinction between spamming and zoning comes into play. Spamming I agree is a scrub word thats usually used to explain away being unable to deal with something...but it does exist in the sense that its a tactic which involves doing the same move over and over again mindlessly. Now with that in mind...yes...spamming probably shouldn't actually be effective in the game....but it rarely ever is. Yes, zoning for some characters is very strong....but there is no tool you can just "spam" mindlessly and not adjust to in this game. Deathstrokes guns, Ravens grabs, Martian Manhunters overhead teleport and orbs, Aquamans from the deep and trident rush can all be used as spam but they *all* have answers and options with most characters. If you're against *zoning* thats a a valid opinion and I don't even care for it myself as a style...but its not necessarily mindless or scrubby.

That said if you're lex luthor against zod balls you have my sympathy. That shits fucked up.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
I don't feel half as strongly about zoning as I do about jumping in this game.

On topic 'projectile spam' is pretty easy to get around if you play patiently, if it's all your opponent has then you'll see their pattern and be able to adapt. I still lose to shitty play online on occasion, it's easy in this game with it's lopsided MUs but I try not to get too wound up.

I do play Zatanna though so I zone all day when the MU allows, play to your characters strengths and all plus she gets around zoning pretty well so it might bother me less than most.

I think when you're playing online like I do the thing that probably gets players the most salty is feeling they've lost to latency and ham connections. I play a couple of test matches but if I can't get my conversions and punishes then what's the point? If I'm playing as WW and I'm getting jumped on what's the point? Lol ggs