What's new

How do you counter Johnny Cage's Shadow Flip Kick???

Houdini

The Rainmaker
I am having a hard time figuring out on how to counter Johnny Cage's Shadow Flip Kick. I am just a noob so please give me your opinions. Thank you! :D

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Block it. On wake up it might catch you out but just block it and try to uppercut if there is lag. What I do

You need a 7 or 8 frame normal/special to punish it I think. Anything above that is too slow. Not exactly sure what's his exact recovery on block but I know it's pretty hard to punish consistently.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Blocking it gives you a free throw attempt. This is your most consistent thing to do in response to it. Even if cage knows its coming its still a free 50/50 for you.

Depending on your character this might be your only option. Its not a bad option though by any means.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
It's tough to counter either his Flipkick or Enhanced Flipkick because he recovers so quickly, enough to be able to uppercut you away if you try to rush him (although this is based on what I've seen online, I bet it's a different story offline). Your best best would be to low-poke him or do what Daggerfall advises and try a throw.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Hi. Yeah, this is a tough one.

From the words of Tom Brady, if I remember.

You can snuff it out its startup with D+FP or D+FK, if you know its coming.

Otherwise, you can only punish it on block, with a fast uppercut, which only half the cast has, or a fast special, like Raiden's Electric Fly. When countering, watch out for Cage's X-Ray if its stocked.

Cage's placement during the flip kick, determines whether or not he crosses you up on his descend after the flip, this could pose a problem with your countering. From what I understand, if he's point blank, he'll land behind you. If he's about 1 character width or just under, he lands in front of you.

Don't quote me on this, but that's my understanding.

blanked

Noob
depending on how close they are, normally when they're close enough to land infront of you but almost going over the top, you can block then use b3 and giving you a juggle opportunity. I do this pretty consistently in mirror matches. I don't know though if this works when they attempt to do d+1 after.