What's new

How do you beat MK2?

gdf

Noob
You can use Sub-Zero and Jax to get up the tower. And at Shao Kahn use Kung Lao's hat throw to chip him to death.

Dark_Rob

Noob
The first two opponents you should be able to get by easiliy. After that go into a ducking state and wait for the AI opponent to walk towards you. When he gets about sweep distance from you do a jump back kick and land. If you do it right the AI will also jump at you after you land and you can AA jab them out of the air into combo of choice.(This works great with Scorpion. AA jab, teleport punch,spear, uppercut.) Rinse and repeat. This will get you all the way up the ladder.

I forget the Kintaro pattern but Im sure someone else here will know it.

For shao kahn just put yourself in the corner and duck. When he shoulder charges(which hits high) uppercut him. Rinse and repeat.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
The first two opponents you should be able to get by easiliy. After that go into a ducking state and wait for the AI opponent to walk towards you. When he gets about sweep distance from you do a jump back kick and land. If you do it right the AI will also jump at you after you land and you can AA jab them out of the air into combo of choice.(This works great with Scorpion. AA jab, teleport punch,spear, uppercut.) Rinse and repeat. This will get you all the way up the ladder.

I forget the Kintaro pattern but Im sure someone else here will know it.

For shao kahn just put yourself in the corner and duck. When he shoulder charges(which hits high) uppercut him. Rinse and repeat.
Thank you so much

Dark_Rob

Noob
Thank you so much
No problem. It takes a little practice to get the timing down. You have to do the jump back kick when they are just the right distance from you or they may not jump after you. Oh and if at some point you end up in the corner where you obviously cant jump back anymore, just duck and the AI will throw you out of the corner everytime. You can eat a few throws, your doing much more damage to them everytime you combo them.

Also 9.95 could explain this even better than me, he is the one who showed this all to me.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I could get the AI to jump but he/she lands too far for an AA jab
Like I said it does take some practice. Remember to let them get as close as possible, but not so close that they hit you out of the jump back kick. And when you land just stand in place, dont walk backwards.
Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Ok so I finally finished the reg characters after like what? 2 hours? Instead of Scorpion I did the reptile forceball + uppercut method because it was much easier.

Now I'm at Kintaro and I'm doing the JK method but when I get to the corner I accidently keep crossing up which results in him blocking + punishing the jump kick.

And even when trying to keep him midscreen then I get to the 3rd round he just blocks my JKs alltogether.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Ok so I finally finished the reg characters after like what? 2 hours? Instead of Scorpion I did the reptile forceball + uppercut method because it was much easier.

Now I'm at Kintaro and I'm doing the JK method but when I get to the corner I accidently keep crossing up which results in him blocking + punishing the jump kick.

And even when trying to keep him midscreen then I get to the 3rd round he just blocks my JKs alltogether.
Yea i forget the Kintaro pattern. Its been years since I played that game. PM 9.95 and ask him. he definitely knows. Ive seen him flawless Kintaro.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
YES I FINALLY DID IT I BEAT MK2!!!! I'M NEVER TOUCHING THIS PIECE OF SH*T GAME AGAIN UNLESS IT'S AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE!!!!

I beat Kintaro still with the JK method.Kintaro miraculously stopped blocking JKs after I whined about it here.Also I beat Shao Kahn with the Mileena telekick method because the Scorpion method wasn't working.

xAnnunaki

tethysocean
Awww. I agree the ladder may be tough of a POS but at high level play this game can be hype :p ofc I'm an avid mk2 player so.
good job, but take note the mkak mk2 port is balls :p

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Awww. I agree the ladder may be tough of a POS but at high level play this game can be hype :p ofc I'm an avid mk2 player so.
good job, but take note the mkak mk2 port is balls :p
I agree. It constantly drops inputs. When I was fighting Shao Kahn w/ Mileena all I had to do was mash FF LK and sometimes it would simply not work and I get punished for around 20% and if I lost I had to redo all over again.So yea it kind of sucked.

YES I FINALLY DID IT I BEAT MK2!!!! I'M NEVER TOUCHING THIS PIECE OF SH*T GAME AGAIN UNLESS IT'S AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE!!!!

I beat Kintaro still with the JK method.Kintaro miraculously stopped blocking JKs after I whined about it here.Also I beat Shao Kahn with the Mileena telekick method because the Scorpion method wasn't working.
Every character has a different way to beat Shao Kahn.

Someone mentioned perhaps the most effective way to beat Shao Kahn; duck + block in the corner. He will charge you, you will block the shoulder rush and make him eat an uppercut. No flawless this way, but effective nonetheless. Here are some others.

1. Standing HK method - simply stand and wait for him to walk to you. When he gets JUST INSIDE sweep distance, hit HK. If timed correctly, he'll either eat the high kick or block it for chip damage, but either way, he will always walk right into it. This method works best for Jax, the male ninjas, and Liu Kang, but also works for Cage, Shang, and Kung Lao.
To see how to execute this method, skip to 8:55 of this video -

2. Hop kick method - simply stand and wait for him to walk to you. When he gets to just OUTSIDE sweep distance, hop kick him. If the hop kick connects unblocked, wait for him to get back up and let him walk back toward you and do it again. If he blocks, immediately hop kick again, repeatedly. Continue UNTIL he gets pushed back into the corner and then hop back three or four times to get him back to around mid-screen. If you push him into the corner, he will simply shoulder rush you out of everything, so it's necessary to draw him back out to mid-screen to start the process over again. This method works best for Cage, Shang, and the female ninjas.

3. Jump kick cancelled into special move - JK Kahn, then cancel with your character's special move. Works best with Kitana's fan wave and Baraka's blade fury. Sometimes works with Cage's shadow kick, too. DO NOT try to cancel the JK with a projectile or Kahn will just shoulder rush you out of the air.

4. Hop kick cancelled into special move - start out like you're doing method 2, but cancel the hop kick into a special move. Really only works with Raiden's torpedo and sometimes Cage's shadow kick. With Raiden, repeat over and over again until he doesn't block. If one of the hop kicks connects unblocked, let him get up and start over again. If the torpedo connects unblocked, KEEP SPAMMING the torpedo and it will usually keep connecting.

5. Special move spam - Mileena's teleport kick works; Kahn will keep blocking for chip. Kahn will also repeatedly walk right into Kung Lao's spin move 9/10 times; you can spam it a whole match and usually flawless him if you time it well. Works pretty well with Raiden's torpedo; keep spamming it and you will eventually push him back into the corner. Hop back three or four times and start over again when this happens. If one of the torpedoes connects unblocked, KEEP SPAMMING it and it will usually keep connecting. Sometimes he will repeatedly walk right into Kitana's fan wave or Baraka's blade fury, but other times he will simply stand aside and punish you with a spear.

If you need me to, I can make videos showing how to work each method.

Noob
If I have some time, I may do a small video for you guys... that's IF I have the time.. ZAQ could do this too... he's even better at the game than I am...LOL

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Yeah, the AI in MK2 was terrible. I remember trying the Arcade version on the Armageddon bonus disc(I think, memory's fuzzy) and I couldn't get past Jax who was the second to last person before Kintaro. The only AI worse than MK2's from my experience is Art of Fighting where everyone played like omniscient crack addicts.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Yeah, the AI in MK2 was terrible. I remember trying the Arcade version on the Armageddon bonus disc(I think, memory's fuzzy) and I couldn't get past Jax who was the second to last person before Kintaro. The only AI worse than MK2's from my experience is Art of Fighting where everyone played like omniscient crack addicts.
I think it was MKD. MKA had a awful port of UMK3.

But remember the AI was like that because the game was meant to make you pump it full of quarters :)

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
But that's what Kintaro and Kahn were for, having everyone play like that's gotta hurt your ego at least a little when playing. >.>

RiverHB

Noob
The AI is much easier when you're player 2. You can jump kick them to death. When the AI is approaching you and is about sweep distance, empty jump at them and they'll walk backwards. Once they reach the edge of the screen they'll throw their projectile. Free Jump kick combo. It works with every character on max difficulty.