What's new

How did you find out about the FGC/TestYourMight?

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
I've always been huge into fighters: from SF2 to MK2, Soul Calibur 2 to BIOFREAKS, and Third Strike to MvC2. I got really into Third Strike in high school and found the video of Daigo parrying JWong at EVO. BLEW my mind. I've watched almost every EVO since then. One of my best friends in HS/college was a competitive Melee player. We got really into Brawl and I won the first Brawl tournament I entered. It was only about a 20-man bracket, but the competitive edge had already set in. I picked up MvC3 on launch and really got into the competitive scene with UMvC3 after getting scraped trying to play SF4 competitively. I met a bunch of friends who played Capcom fighters after I moved to NYC and logged more hours with Marvel than I'd like to admit. I don't play a top tier team and haven't placed well in Marvel, but I still got the best Haggar.

I played MK9 when it came out as a fun game to drink with and play casually, but felt it was nowhere near ready to be a competitive fighter. Waaaaaaaay too wonky. However, when NRS announced Injustice and how they wanted to take their engine to the next level and do away with a block button--they had my attention. I grabbed it Day 1 and loved it. I'd already been visiting gaming websites regularly so finding TYM wasn't hard. I still love the game to death, but it's hard to work full-time and still have time to practice and attend tournaments.

What's even crazier is I had no idea Atlanta had ANY FGC outside of Melee players until AFTER I left. Seriously, I grew up in Atlanta and only ever saw ppl play Smash.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
TYM : through some comment in the site MK Online .....
FGC: well, if you find TYM, you kinda somehow find FGC, since this site it's the best one regarding the subject, so ...... :D

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
Long ago in a distand land of psn about 5 years ago i met this guy named raph. I told him I played tekken and he was like my brother also plays tekken you should add him. I bopped him so hard in tekken, then he started practicing and he got as good as me (this is t5dr btw). t6 comes out and we play that casually, then hes like I CANT WAIT FOR MK9 TO COME OUT!......im thinking to myself this is just another game i can body this fool in, was I sadly mistaken. He told me about tournaments and they sounded so fun, i really wanted to go but i was too young, had no money, and knew no one from my area that could drive, etc. So around the time injustice came out i made an account on tym so i could learn all that flash tech and i placed 2nd at my 33 man local with scumbag flash :REO

and the guy that bodied me in mk......you now know him as @xKhaoTik, fuck kitana :coffee:

SLy

Noob
I found out about it a little bit before MK9 dropped. They were streaming the Launch party stream I believe and KrazyBone was there. He put the viewers on to the MK competitive forums.

Rager Da Prince

I can't help my Fiction addiction.
I remember watching people play marvel 2 in a mall so I decided to look up some more matches when I got home. I found srk, zachd and I was hooked from then on. Mind you I'm 20 now. So I guess since I was 6 when I first "joined" the fgc.

As far as TYM Injustice brought me here and I'm still looking for some kind of substance.:DOGE

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Tekken Ball and Tekken Bowling have been sorely missed. I preferred Tekken Ball, myself.
Believe it or not - and I'm sure you can believe it - I still have my Tekken 3 CD that works in my PS3, and I've unlocked Tekken Ball on it. My friends and I pull it out once in a while and still play it. I actually lugged that system to a local a while back and we had a Tekken Ball side tournament, which was amazing hahaha.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
I will always remember:
"Hey guys this is Zyphox here. Sorry I haven't made a video in a while. I've been busy with...life."

Well yeah he's the one that got me to tym I think back when I played flash.

And he has like epic coughs in his videos.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Gamefaqs guy, but came in with Injustice. I was just getting into comics and that was around the same time as Injustice was announced. Decided I was gonna get good at a fighting game. A few of us played every night (@zoofs, @Ricky Torres, @SplitMushroom) and at some point TYM came up as a place to get new tech from. Joined, and here I am. Ironically, I've gotten worse since joining, TYM, but I think the two things are unrelated

nugava

Noob
I don't remember exactly why, but I found the first EVO MK9 top 8, commentated by Aris... Aris got me into the FGC... and 16bit... The birth of 16bit... I mean, I wish the FGC were full of guys like Aris, Flipkev/Tang Top Guy, Mr. Aquaman, 16bit, Tom Brady, Sp00ky, Arturo, Lee Chung or UltraDavid... Unfortunately, too much James Chen or Tinshi in it...

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Looking for combos for whatever fighting game i was playing, found shoryuken and then found all the other sites (dust loop, Freestepdodge, 8wayrun, etc.) from there I watched Evo one year was amazed and started keeping up with tournaments and stuff. As for Testyourmight I came here for Injustice but that Jax mirror (you know the one) really got me into watching MK and while I didn't like playing MK9 there were some great matches for it.

Kinetic Balding1

Day 1 Phenomenal Cyborg
I got into mk9 when it first came out. I was only 10 at the time and played it casually for a good 3 months with friends. Then I dropped it until a year later I played it again along with Soul Calibur 5. I actually took those games a little more seriously but still casually. I always watched tylerlantern's combo videos and some SCV combos. I later dropped them and played COD until injustice first came out. Around this time, I watched Maximilian's injustice videos and didn't know about the scene and two weeks into injustice, I looked up grundy combos and the first thing to pop up is a tym post in a grundy thread and thats where everything started. After that I had been on tym almost on a daily basis and was now taking everything a step further. I started watching more tournaments. The first one I watched on stream was CEO 2013

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
I was playing fighting game since I was a kid, Art Of Fighting and Killer Instinct were my first fighting games I ever played. It is my favorite genre of games but never really went to any tourneys or hardcore. But since I was watching tournaments of MK9 online I heard of TYM mntioned and then I joined. Eventhough I love fighting games, I also play other games as well.

I loved watching the MK9 tournaments on YouTube. I played MK9 a lot online but didn't take it too seriously as far as competing. When Injustice came out I started to take it more seriously and wanted to find like minded people and level up. So I found out there would be a tournament at UpDawg Games in North Bergen. Went to that met Joe (RG) and Rico. I think Joe mentioned to me, or someone did about TYM. I singed up and posted in the North Jersey forum about wanting to get games with people around me, Nitti replied and told me to get in touch with DarthArma . Arma got back to me, I then started to go to the Break more often. Really glad I did because I met a lot of really cool people and always have a blast either having sessions or just chilling with everyone at the break.

@DarthArma
@Decay II
@Indecisive
@KDZ
@Icy Black Deep
@Frantastic23
and of course everyone else!!!!

Who the fuck are y....oh it's mindgames, LOL. Get that new fight pad bro!!

FGC= When I buyed my PS3 back in 2012 by the recommendations of a friend of mine i acquired MK9, with the time I started playing the game like it was MK2 (SNES Version) and for me it was boring as hell!!!, but some day looking for random info on Internet I found a video from TylerLantern... That open my eyes about combo juggling and the other stuff that I was not aware...
TYM= The search for more info about MK9 got me to a video of REO vs PL, EVO's Final and in the comments of the video someone mentioned TYM... Since that I keep visiting the site for News and tech !!

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I've always loved MK but never got in depth with any of the games. After MK9 released I bought it, played it and eventually traded it in for another game. Some COD I believe. @WayoftheFist told me about the tournament scene and he was thinking about going to one. I didn't think much of it because he always bodied me and didn't think I was good enough to go. (I thought they were all invitational for some reason.)

Well I had a pretty serious back injury that required surgery. So with no job and nothing else to do I watched some videos that Fist recommended. Devastation 2011. Amazed I rebought the game joined TYM and started training.

About a month later I attended FRXV. Yes I thought I had a chance at winning. LOL.

But that's how I joined. Thanks to @WayoftheFist and watching @AK Pig Of The Hut, @Tom Brady, @CD jr and @R.E.O.
I find it hilarious that there was a time I used to body you. Oh how things have changed lol.

Anyways for the thread topic I found tym through some people on gamefaqs talking about @Tom Brady and his sub zero shortly after launch in 2011 as well as @Perfect Legend and his Kung lao. This led me to Google them. I watched some videos to pick up a few things and found tym through people talking about it in the stream commentary at tournaments. Good times. Can't wait to make some more memories with mkx.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I'd always loved fighting games and I was always the guy beating his friends in them (Shoutouts to Battle Arena Toshinden). Then when I started college the student union had a tv dedicated to vanilla GGXX (as it had just come out) and I immediately bought myself a copy. I lost a lot,but eventually became the man to beat in our little scene. After finally hitting the internet to see if there was more I could learn, I found the FGC and watched proto-streams and combo videos.

I drifted away from it all, then in 2012 I was stuck at home with ill family members and time to kill when @imblackjames forcibly made me borrow MK9. I relented because injustice had been announced and I wanted to try a NRS game in preparation. I loved it, and we practiced a lot in the hopes of attending a tournament. I never got above scrub level in it, but I was back into the FGC. He, James, told me about TYM and when I realized I wanted to participate rather than just steal tech I finally made an account.

Side note to everyone, I started travelling to tournaments because @DarthArma rules and just offered James and I couches without knowing who the hell we were other than interested parties for a NJ tournament. The man deserves his props.

haketh

Noob
Just playing MVC2 at local arcades & talking to the other players around me about what tournaments were and how to get to them. Been doing this for 8 years at this point.