What's new

How did you find out about the FGC/TestYourMight?

I was in an off-top discussion when @TopTierHarley Mentioned his initial encounter with the FGC. I asked how he came across test your might and he said that he was searching for combo videos.

My question to you! I dont care if you're an online warrior, a stay at home stream monster, if you go 0-2 at every event, if I've never met you, or if you place top 8 at every event, how did you find out about the FGC/Testyourmight.com?

The fighting game genres reaches out to probably one of the smallest demographics in video games, how is it that we have tournaments and a community? Most gamers think all a fighting game provides you is an arcade ladder and maybe a shitty story, which is why critics and casual gamers were blown away by MK9 and injustice because of how great the experience is for the casual gamer. This same casual gamer would probably look at you like a crack head if you told him how many hours people spend playing the same fighting game as the same character or just a handful of characters. How intensely and precisely some people study the game, frame data and move list.

What I think NRS/WB needs to do is start supporting our scene just by slightly mentioning it. Imagine if MKX mentioned us to the hundreds of thousands of players who are gonna play it, but would have never EVER known about this community? The potential is outrageous whether it was a mention at the end of the training tutorial in the game, or a simple mention on the front of the booklet inside the game's case.

I wanna hear from EVERYONE Big or small! lurkers and posters! online and offline!

AK XEN0M0RPH

The lift is strong in this one
I got into the FGC because of @AK Stormthegates He then got me to go to Battle and Brew where I met the rest of the AK crew. It was great meeting everyone there. Funny story, stormthegates told me that they liked to gatherings at @AK Reno_Racks house. I was like "cool."
"Go ask him where his house is."
"Who? I dont know him."
"Reno right there."
"You want me to ask the man, who could literally kill me as sport, where his house is?"
"Yes."
Intimidating as fuck. But reno is cool as hell haha.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I've always been a huge MK and FG fan, and when I got a PS3, I bought MK:2011 to go along with it. A little while after I got the game, I wanted to learn how to play it better, and so I went to Youtube to search for videos. I think the first thing that came up was PowerUp finals, Tom Brady vs. Perfect legend.

Mind blown. I'd never seen anyone play a game like that, not to mention a fighting game. So fast, with so many different vartaions in tactics, such long combos, accuracy, mind-games; I was stunned. And in addition.. There was a room full of people screaming, and commentators? What!? I was trying to figure out how I never knew that this little world existed.

Keep in mind I've been playing fighting games since they've been around at this point: SF2, MK1, 2, 3, UMK3, 4, KI, SF EX, EX+A, Xmen:CotA, Soul Calibur, War Gods, Toshinden, Tekken 1,2,3, and anything else I could get my hands on. I was always the guy who beat my friends, but I'd never been exposed to seeing higher-level play or a fighting game community and it was a revelation.

So following up on that, I searched for 'Perfect Legend' and found some more videos.. And dat Kung Lao. Old ones now, from when Sabin and Skisonic were still commentating MK9 (and Sabin was still playing). In one of them, @9.95 pops up and says something about "testyourmight.com".. I opened my browser and the rest is history.

Last edited:

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Some friends and I were watching some MK9 tournaments back in the day because we were kinda into it and it was pretty awesome to watch really good players to see what they were doing with various characters, not to mention some really hype matches. Someone mentioned TYM at some point, and we checked it out, figuring it would be a pretty good place to learn tech and discuss relevant gameplay strategies...

Maybe I should start with my story. I found out about shoryuken.com through word of mouth once I started playing street fighter 4 with a friend. Throughout highschool I was always at a local arcade in New Jersey called "funNgames" so I was always around the competitive environment and made friends and acquaintances who were involved in the tournament scene. One of these friends was the person who told me to go on shoryuken.com for combo videos, game discussion, and match up charts. Through this website I found out about street fighter tournaments and met KDZ back in 2009, along with the rest of the FGC.

I found TYM by searching for a local mk9 tournament in New York city very very early into the release of the game. That tournament was posted on here. I traveled all the way to New York city to play in a 5 man round robin, and to get 2nd to Chris G. lol.

coolwhip

Noob
A while after MK9 was released, I was looking up some MK9 matches on Youtube. I figured there must be some sort of tournament where this game is played so I just youtubed "MK9 tournament match" and I got Justin Wong vs Floe from that PDP tourney. One thing led to another and I stumbled across a video (I forgot who was playing) with Arturo on commentary, and he was talking about how "Tom Brady fanboys on Test Your Might were defending him." I, being a big fan of drama, wanted to see what that was about, so I went to this Test Your Might thing (never found the thread in question, by the way), and voila.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
=>Played x fighting game
=>Played x fighting game vs siblings and online
=>Curious about who the best player in the world was
=>Google search
=>"Grand finals, x player vs y player"

I found about tym from ultimateMK.com Or whatever shock's site was called for UMK3, after searching for a more technical level MK site since I'm into the more technical side of ALL games, and everything under else under the sun was a fansite about romantic fanfics.

Then MK9 was announced and I saw a link to another site called "Mortal Kombat Empires" That was affiliated and I was like damn nyugga that's hella street so I joined. Also because they encompassed more games with an emphasis on the newer games so I just use it more

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
I found out about the FGC because I really liked street fighter and I saw an article on gameinformer about Daigo the Beast Umehara I looked up some video and saw the legendary parry moment vs Wong ever since then I started training super hard even though I knew I wanted to play competitively even bfor seeing the article but I never got around to go to a tournament then I switched to mvc3 and started going to tournaments

First found SRK.com but quickly didn't like it then went on eventhubs all the time I knew about TYM but never went on bcuz I didn't play mk9 , Injustice came out and the rest I'd history super glad I made the switch:)

Error404

Noob
Back when i had a local scene with 20 man locals every week for mk9 i got really into competitive fighting games.I started watching streams and stuff like team spooky and maximilian . 3 and a half years later not much has changed.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
My brother heard about a new iteration of the kof series, it was KOF XIII, he was looking for videos of KOF XIII on youtube to see how it looks. When he found some videos youtube recommended him to watch other videos from kof and other series, that's how he found the new MK (2011), he showed me a video (I don't remember which) and I was like WWWWHHHAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT!!!!! THIS GAME LOOKS GREAT!!! I remember seeing Cage tattoo for the first time, reptile win pose, raiden black costume, shao kahn fatality, etc and was amazed. I think it was him that found the MK evo 2011 tounament finals and call me to watch it, the first pro match that I watched (iirc) was JOP vs REO, then the rest of top 8 to the grand finals, so we plan to buy a ps3 for KOF and MK; meanwhile I was googling for more information about the story, gameplay, etc. and after visiting other sites I found TYM and was attached to it after reading the Curbolicious drama, then decided to become a member and the rest is history :D.

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I was a fan of MK since MK3. Around the beginning of 2012, my friend's brother opened a new gaming center, so me and @Frostbarrier went there to check it out. We were looking at what games they had and we saw MK. We popped that shit in instantly and started playing and holy crap MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAAAAT. We started going there regularly and learning the game and trying to do stuff... Then we started looking up videos and matches on Youtube, that's when Frostbarrier heard one of the commentators say testyourmight.com. He joined the site and started talking to people and told me about it, so I joined a few days later.

Little did I know that 2 years later this website would be the first website I go to when I turn on my laptop and where I spend hours everyday...

Decay

King of the Bill
Played injustice online only and pretty casually. I was told to bring my lobo out since I live in New Jersey and there's tournaments out here but I didn't think I was worthy so I put it off for a long time. So joined tym and posted some lobo videos and people found them to be hype. Then I decided to go salty Sunday as my first offline experience, got bodied by lag free monitors and @Zyphox. Met @DarthArma and @Indecisive and the crew. Zyphox told me to go to the break every week and I'll level up so the rest is history

Mst

Noob
TYM = googled mortal kombat forum after a MLG event
FGC = someone got me to watch Evo but i played fighting games before "local"

Played injustice online only and pretty casually. I was told to bring my lobo out since I live in New Jersey and there's tournaments out here but I didn't think I was worthy so I put it off for a long time. So joined tym and posted some lobo videos and people found them to be hype. Then I decided to go salty Sunday as my first offline experience, got bodied by lag free monitors and @Zyphox. Met @DarthArma and @Indecisive and the crew. Zyphox told me to go to the break every week and I'll level up so the rest is history
How did you find TYM though? did another online warrior tell you about it? or was it back during mk9?

smile

Noob
There was a link to the pdp tournament on g4's website. I watched it and enjoyed it so I kept watching streams and such. Don't remember how I found out about tym though. Probably heard someone on stream say it or stumbled upon it on a google search.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
I think for me when I was playing the Injustice mobile game before the release of the console version. And I was looking forward to Injustice for the longest time once I saw Harley Quinn was going to be a playable character. So once the console version came out I played online against people and people were doing combos and I was like how are they doing this?!

I ended up googling Harley Quinn combos and that took me to the Harley character forums on TYM. I lurked for awhile till I got better and registered and made my account. Now I'm pretty okay and pretend like I know what I'm doing and my friends that don't play fighting games think I'm super badass.

Oh and I guess I have a local scene now too. Thanks TYM <3

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I think for me when I was playing the Injustice mobile game before the release of the console version. And I was looking forward to Injustice for the longest time once I saw Harley Quinn was going to be a playable character. So once the console version came out I played online against people and people were doing combos and I was like how are they doing this?!

I ended up googling Harley Quinn combos and that took me to the Harley character forums on TYM. I lurked for awhile till I got better and registered and made my account. Now I'm pretty okay and pretend like I know what I'm doing and my friends that don't play fighting games think I'm super badass.

Oh and I guess I have a local scene now too. Thanks TYM <3
Lol this pretty much story as well, for a long time I couldnt hit b3 after cartwheel. I almost dropped her because I thought she was too hard to learn

mfkaoz

Banned
I got into the FGC when I started really getting into Smash. Ended up on Smashboards and Allisbrawl and was really active on there. I then got into watching Capcom games but I never really played them. Picked up Injustice on black friday and never looked back. I hope to actually start going to locals for MKX. I'm looking to revive the NRS scene in the bay area.

The Highlander

There can be only one
I was looking up the MK9 fatalities and saw a random tom brady sub-zero video. I was mesmerized by the space control and the precision he had. I decided I wanted to learn sub zero like that (I was SUPER casual before hand) and found TYM through a combo search. I lurked for about a year just learning stuff but I wasn't great at mk9 so I mostly just beat up on my friends offline. I decided that I would make an account for injustice and start raking in those delicious likes ;) But yea Tom's clear commentary and analysis videos are what tied me to the FGC for a long time, there was something so newb friendly about them even if they were discussing tech I didn't really understand.

Also I should add I'm not American so searching Tom Brady on youtube left me really confused...