What's new

HMK Episode 18 w/ Phosferrax & King of the Hill Main Swap Stream Announced! Stream update.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Some of you may remember a while back the idea of us doing a main swap KoTH. Well it's finally going to happen, this weeks show ends in the drawing of our randomly assigned mains for myself, Phosferrax, TheGabStandard and Undead"I only main top tier"Jim. Our choices were locked in before the draw so here's a list incase anyone has forgot. Note: Based on characters not variations.

JTB123 - Scorpion
Phosferrax - Liu Kang
TheGabStandard - Mileena
UndeadJim - Jax

Stream will be taking place at some point next week, will update with a new time. Stream will be twitch.tv/jaytb123

Onto the show, topics and goodies are below. Hope everyone enjoys :D

MP3 Version

Start - YOMI tier list thoughts.
18:00 - Cowboy vs King F10 review and the aftermath.
26:00 - Patch Notes Review, does Phos really have Paulo on speedial?
35:00 - Looking at the many negative posts on TYM about the game, what mistakes does NRS need to learn from/what do they need to change to make sure their next game is better than MKX?
49:00 - Who would you like to see win a major at some point in the game's life that has yet to win one?
51:00 - Nearing the 6 month mark of the game what are your current feelings on the game as it stands, your main and yourself as a player?

@theGabStandard @PND i2 Gaug3 @PND OmegaK @PND_Ketchup @PND_Mustard @A F0xy Grampa @Youphemism @ENDeverMORE @Undeadjim @SneakyTortoise @JustinXavier21 @GiM | ZigZag @Scott The Scot @C88 Zombieekiler @Falkunn @Temjiin @STRYKIE @Saltywu @Shufflez @The Bearded Dan @Enexemander @PunkMafia83 @Rearawt @ChatterBox

Results of the main swap:

JTB = Mileena
Phosferrax = Scorpion
TheGabStandard = Jax
UndeadJim = Liu Kang

Attachments

Last edited:

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
No notification either, I'll listen tonight.

I know that if you edit tags into your post they don't notify the person, don't know if that's the case here but it has happened to me before.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Oh man, if I could remove 3 things I'd take out the fact you need max stamina to break, I would personally have it to just take your remaining stamina, it already takes 2 bars!
Takeda's allt costume... (There's a sick concept art for what he was going to look like, I would replace it with that one i'm thinking of)(Yes this is as important as everything else)
Option selects definitely didn't need to be around.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Ohohohoho JTB you have no idea about the reaction to the Jacqui nerf. Almost every single Full Auto switched to Shotgun now and proclaimed there's no reason to pick Full Auto, that Shotgun is her best variation now, etc. It was an outrageous snap response.

As for the removal of the B2/B33 auto option selects buffing Shotgun that's not true, that was actually a nerf to Shotgun but a buff to Full Auto and High Tech. Shotgun could always risk B2 or B33 into BF2 into low shot for the restand for max meterless damage but now she has to do B2~low shot all the time since it's not hit confirmable and that doesn't always hit, or for consistency she needs to spend the bar. So basically every time she goes for B2 she has to spend the bar for B2~DB2EX, which is why it was a nerf to Shotgun (but only Shotgun).

I think Cutthroat is Kano's best variation based on tools alone, I mean safe hitconfirmable 50/50s (never mind the fact the options are at least neutral on block) as well as higher damage output and a safe meterless advancing mid launcher in F212 is just full stop better than
- mid knives that do the joint least damage out of all the projectiles in the game, another footsie tool, worse jump attacks and a restand that's only decent in the corner
- parries that, unlike Covert Ops, don't lead to a combo when you spend a bar on them and one of the most, if not the most, limited set of ticks out of all the grapplers in the game.
But in saying that I agree with Phos that he's a pretty balanced character and if a variation won't cover one matchup one or two of the others will usually cover it. Lower A tier is probably about right, not exactly a stupid or dirty character but you can win if you put in some effort.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Ohohohoho JTB you have no idea about the reaction to the Jacqui nerf. Almost every single Full Auto switched to Shotgun now and proclaimed there's no reason to pick Full Auto, that Shotgun is her best variation now, etc. It was an outrageous snap response.

As for the removal of the B2/B33 auto option selects buffing Shotgun that's not true, that was actually a nerf to Shotgun but a buff to Full Auto and High Tech. Shotgun could always risk B2 or B33 into BF2 into low shot for the restand for max meterless damage but now she has to do B2~low shot all the time since it's not hit confirmable and that doesn't always hit, or for consistency she needs to spend the bar. So basically every time she goes for B2 she has to spend the bar for B2~DB2EX, which is why it was a nerf to Shotgun (but only Shotgun).

I think Cutthroat is Kano's best variation based on tools alone, I mean safe hitconfirmable 50/50s (never mind the fact the options are at least neutral on block) as well as higher damage output and a safe meterless advancing mid launcher in F212 is just full stop better than
- mid knives that do the joint least damage out of all the projectiles in the game, another footsie tool, worse jump attacks and a restand that's only decent in the corner
- parries that, unlike Covert Ops, don't lead to a combo when you spend a bar on them and one of the most, if not the most, limited set of ticks out of all the grapplers in the game.
But in saying that I agree with Phos that he's a pretty balanced character and if a variation won't cover one matchup one or two of the others will usually cover it. Lower A tier is probably about right, not exactly a stupid or dirty character but you can win if you put in some effort.
Kano Fuck-Throat.

Hate that character.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
@Youphemism I tagged people before editing this time lol I'll do it as a post from now on to make sure it works. Even though some times it doesn't regardless but I'll keep trying.

I know shotgun was pumped up a lot after the patch, didn't know people were so quick to swap though. If I had to pick a best variation for Kano I would say cut-throat too, Phos uses Cyber and Commando extremely effectively though but a big part of that is his skill as a player.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
@Youphemism I tagged people before editing this time lol I'll do it as a post from now on to make sure it works. Even though some times it doesn't regardless but I'll keep trying.

I know shotgun was pumped up a lot after the patch, didn't know people were so quick to swap though. If I had to pick a best variation for Kano I would say cut-throat too, Phos uses Cyber and Commando extremely effectively though but a big part of that is his skill as a player.
My Cut Throat sucks until I get you to the corner lol.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I actually believe DF Liu is more difficult than Kabal.

His cancels are pretty similar in difficulty. I can see the argument for both characters being harder when the cancels are being discussed. Liu's F213 into F2 cancel is pretty difficult, but definitely still manageable.

However I think Liu's IAFBs are infinitely harder than Kabal's ever were. This prevents his ridiculous corner damage from ever being seen in tourney cause of how difficult his IAFBs are to get down consistently.

Not saying he's impossible to use or anything, I definitely think he's more difficult than Kabal though.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I actually believe DF Liu is more difficult than Kabal.

His cancels are pretty similar in difficulty. I can see the argument for both characters being harder when the cancels are being discussed. Liu's F213 into F2 cancel is pretty difficult, but definitely still manageable.

However I think Liu's IAFBs are infinitely harder than Kabal's ever were. This prevents his ridiculous corner damage from ever being seen in tourney cause of how difficult his IAFBs are to get down consistently.

Not saying he's impossible to use or anything, I definitely think he's more difficult than Kabal though.
I think optimally, Kabal is harder. Remember that his gas blasts had to be machine gunned and low enough to stop approach, and the fact that his cancels were often done of 1 or 2 hit strings which are much harder to cancel and follow up optimally because of how quick it happens, where as Liu Kang can't machine gun IAFB's and his best cancels come off 3-hit strings.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I think optimally, Kabal is harder. Remember that his gas blasts had to be machine gunned and low enough to stop approach, and the fact that his cancels were often done of 1 or 2 hit strings which are much harder to cancel and follow up optimally because of how quick it happens, where as Liu Kang can't machine gun IAFB's and his best cancels come off 3-hit strings.
That's a good point about the shorter strings into cancels. I agree with you on that.

Personally though, I had a much easier time with Kabal's iAFBs than Liu's. It seems like the inputs are much stricter for Liu's. Maybe that's just me though.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)

It's cool, I'm always there to help if it doesn't ;D

After the big patch that Jacqui got a load of changes people were still playing Full Auto and it was still considered the best because of the chip it did now as well as the damage etc but as soon as the patch hit that removed Jacqui's B2~EX up rocket blockstrings suddenly the Full Autos just cried that you may as well play Shotgun now and now everyone does -__- As for Kano it's a lot easier to pick up and play Cyber and Commando than it is to play Cutthroat which is why you see them wayyyyyyy more often but if you put in the work Cutthroat will reward you the best. I think if a player can win just as well with Cutthroat as they can with the other two then that's a real testament to how good a player they are.
My Cut Throat sucks until I get you to the corner lol.
Same, but that's just how Cutthroat works. Get 'em to the corner then get the most out of your safe mixups, end your combos with Kano ball then buff up and do it all over again with extra damage until they either die or get out.....if they ever do get out:joker:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Same, but that's just how Cutthroat works. Get 'em to the corner then get the most out of your safe mixups, end your combos with Kano ball then buff up and do it all over again with extra damage until they either die or get out.....if they ever do get out:joker:
The fact that he puts you into the corner with practically every touch helps lol