What's new

Green Lantern BnBs and Strategies

So my roommate (who doesn't play FGs) was messing around on my stick just hitting shit as a joke and she accidentally bounce-canceled out of trait, which I didn't know you could do.

I think this could have applications if you have a lot of meter and mess up a hit-confirm. If you do b13~trait, and they try to punish on reaction, a bounce cancel f3 will beat any d1 or advancing normals like Superman's f2. I haven't tested stuff like Aquaman's d2, that might beat it if they know you're gonna do the f3.

Probably not that useful, but maybe something to think about.
Yeah you can. It's ALOT though. I've thought about using it as a come back tool or going into unclashable combos. A bounce cancel's damage, if armor isn't hit, is like 16% or something crazy. Don't know exact percentage.

hully

Noob
Here some more pressure I like to use once they seen the F3 cross up after turbine. Doesn't have to be off just f3 f3 combo. i'm just showing it here , but any combo that has already used a ground bounce or wall bounce and then end it in f3. If you watch my other video i have a set up or 2 that i like to use for it

and then just made a vid of some corner pressure. I like doing the d1 xx mb f3 on wake up against people that like to push buttons. The cross up in the corner can reverse inputs but i need to play arond with it more.

holding casuals tomorrow so hopefully i can record some sets and throw them up here

So these threads have been pretty dead as of late. Since the last time I've personally been posting stuff and updating the OP there seems to be a new, and so far successful, way to play Lantern.

@AK XEN0M0RPH and @GGA Wafflez have been sporting what I simply call the "Yolo Lantern." If you've never seen either play I recommend it for at least entertainment.

Everything from TS xxLift and Lift xxLift these yolo tactics have so far been successful for the most part. I would like these guys to start posting in here if they wish to give their thoughts on the character and how they use him.

Some other things I've seen being done that I've started doing with mixed results so far is some things that @AK TylerLantern has been doing. For instance, the B3 cancel into a 50/50 in the middle of a combo. Great way to catch your opponent off guard and continue "Lantern pressure." Another thing that I previously ignored early in the game when the TS set up was being worked up is B13 TS. I ignored it is simply because they can tech roll after B13, but there is a good use for it.

It leaves you closer to your opponent after the TS than 223 TS and will change sides whether they tech roll or not. Being that close allows a cross over JI3, a F3, B1 of course, F2 shenanigans, and naked throw.

Lantern may not be as good as I previously thought early in the game, but this extremely solid character may have a bright future if we keep tech hunting and sharing ideas.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
not sure i agree with wacky lantern playstyles but i will say lift lift works against impatient players or to catch people off guard, ive been doing that for months.
i could see b3 into 50/50 working but that would be really matchup dependant and situational

not sure i agree with wacky lantern playstyles but i will say lift lift works against impatient players or to catch people off guard, ive been doing that for months.
i could see b3 into 50/50 working but that would be really matchup dependant and situational
I don't agree with it. It may work now, but I don't think it'll last. At least not to this degree. Lift is 10 frames, best AA in the game, BUT negative 20+ frames on block. Some characters can't punish it from it's max range, but all it takes is baiting it and punishing.

Just like from week 1 to now; what worked then doesn't work now. But it shouldn't be ignored. It could lead to more things.

Fred Marvel

I don't agree with it. It may work now, but I don't think it'll last. At least not to this degree. Lift is 10 frames, best AA in the game, BUT negative 20+ frames on block. Some characters can't punish it from it's max range, but all it takes is baiting it and punishing.

Just like from week 1 to now; what worked then doesn't work now. But it shouldn't be ignored. It could lead to more things.
yeah using raw lift is matchup dependant some characters can punish it from anywhere its just a terrible habit to pick up,
that is true especially since being a predictible GL will get you bopped if your opponent knows the matchup, always gotta mix it up

yeah using raw lift is matchup dependant some characters can punish it from anywhere its just a terrible habit to pick up,
that is true especially since being a predictible GL will get you bopped if your opponent knows the matchup, always gotta mix it up
Yeah, but that's the point of mentioning Wafflez and especially Xenomorph. Totally unpredictable.

I really like what I see watching Tyler though.

Fred Marvel

Yeah, but that's the point of mentioning Wafflez and especially Xenomorph. Totally unpredictable.

I really like what I see watching Tyler though.
thats true lol and i havent seen tylers lantern (no pun intended) in a while but he was really good when i did see him, stole some tech early on ;)

GGA Wafflez

the kid
lift dominates so much of the screen, and the fact that many characters can't really do much outside of b1 range to punish a blocked lift makes it frustrating. use this to assert dominance after say, a minigun, or a ground turbine in. they might respect it and u can get something else off of it like a j3 into 50/50. idk... it works for me and might be able to catch people off guard... i cant stress enough how good b1 and lift are. lantern's zoning strength doesnt come from minigun or air rockets... it's his b1 range and lift

lift dominates so much of the screen, and the fact that many characters can't really do much outside of b1 range to punish a blocked lift makes it frustrating. use this to assert dominance after say, a minigun, or a ground turbine in. they might respect it and u can get something else off of it like a j3 into 50/50. idk... it works for me and might be able to catch people off guard... i cant stress enough how good b1 and lift are. lantern's zoning strength doesnt come from minigun or air rockets... it's his b1 range and lift
I agree with that, it's just it's block advantage that worries me. MG on block makes Lift come out at 17 frames which is enough time for them to MB B3/F3 or some characters can even dash/jump attack to check you in time. Or even dash up then block if they read the lift. I'm skeptical, but as long as it works keep doing it.

AK XEN0M0RPH

The lift is strong in this one
One thing I like to do is bait punishes. Like activating trait on block. Most high level players see trait activated after a blocked B13 and immediately go for a punish because they know they can punish before minigun comes out. However, if you cancel to Oa rocket MB you can catch them for a full punish or hit them on block and be +20.

One thing I like to do is bait punishes. Like activating trait on block. Most high level players see trait activated after a blocked B13 and immediately go for a punish because they know they can punish before minigun comes out. However, if you cancel to Oa rocket MB you can catch them for a full punish or hit them on block and be +20.
What about if they try punishing with D1? Does it still hit?

AK XEN0M0RPH

D1 will work as a punish, and if I see them using it, lift off trait will work. I try not to use it too often because it can get predictable.

AK XEN0M0RPH

Most of the stuff I do is reads, especially against the AK guys. I know some want to jump after I do a certain move or dash and lift is one of the fastest punishes. D2 is another thing I love to use. Certain strings on characters you can interrupt fully or trade with a D2, and you will usually win the trade. While you are slightly staggered by a grounded hit, they are airborne and can allow for a B13 trait lift to F3 mixup for real damage.

Fred Marvel

i use trait rocket on block also, it can be beaten but its better than lift and catches some people off guard, if it works and you mb i believe you can f3 j2 b13 trait crossup setup

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
If you guys really want to delve into this character in-depth, we can start analyzing things and breaking them down. What I would suggest is this:

We grab tourney footage of the best examples of Lantern play. This would probably include:

Denzell
Orochi
Blackula
Wafflez (the 25% of the time he's sober and plays well) ;)
and random tidbits from other lanterns

Then we pick every bit of each match apart and see what specifically worked well, what didn't work or got blown up, what each lantern does differently from the other, etc.

If you guys are down to do this, we can start picking out footage today/tomorrow and go from there.

Last edited:

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
If you guys really want to delve into this character in-depth, we can start analyzing things and breaking them down. What I would suggest is this:

We grab tourney footage of the best examples of Lantern play. This would probably include:

Denzell
Orochi
Blackula

Then we pick every bit of each match apart and see what specifically worked well, what didn't work or got blown up, what each lantern does differently from the other, etc.

If you guys are down to do this, we can start picking out footage today/tomorrow and go from there.
Not that i'm a tourney player but I'd love that,so my boredom with Lantern can go away and I could finally level up some more with him. That'd be awesome

AK XEN0M0RPH

So heres what I saw while watching a bunch of matches:
Orochi - very safe, abuses J1, also prefers MB lift mix ups, many ground Oa rocket
wafflez - unpredictable, likes to use lift at max range (i too love this), turbine into lift to bait punish (something I do sometimes as well)
blackula - I didnt watch any of his matches, but I did play him at AK when him and cowboy came; also safe, likes to use rocket power a lot (an underused move), prefers to zone and force them in

This is just what I saw and remember from last night. One thing I like about GL is that with all his tools and balance, it allows for varying styles of play

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Xeno can you list the tourneys you watched? I want to start collecting a list.

Off the top of my head there's ToTFC to start, EVO and VxG prepatch

AK XEN0M0RPH

I believe they were all TFC or NEC. I tried to stay to tournaments after the patch. Lantern had to play very safe before the patch.

Fred Marvel

Denzell
Orochi
Blackula

thats what ive been doing since day 1 lol mixed with my own experiences of what works/doesnt work

Last edited:

AK XEN0M0RPH

lantern footage from tournaments post patch is hard to come by. He kind of fell off after the patch. And he hasnt had a really strong showing since evo.

SWonder916

When's DragonBall?
Hey anybody have any advice for me on landing this certain combo string?? For the life of me I can't land the B3 after J3, 2, 2, MB OR
Any advice from the Corps??