What's new

Question Grassroot Tourney Questions (Nec,Wb, apex, Fr) + Possible Tekken Demise?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Grassroots
I ask the following questions assuming I am right, that MK9 will be at EVO 2013. Id rather not discuss why I say it will be.

1. Why is it that one of the biggest grass root tourneys of the year (NEC) is at the end of the Evo year where No Evo points can/will be rewarded for the upcoming 2013 evo where as smaller grass roots such as apex and winter brawl will pull in a third in attendance and reward evo points.

2. Shouldn't NEC be in Feb and Apex/WB in December? I feel the "championship" should be rewarding for evo attendees.

3. Should the grass root tourney organizers adopt the FT3 setting for upcoming majors (Apex, WB, Final Round, power up). This promotes the better player and MVC has adopted it so why cant we?

4. Should Injustice be FT3 as well for all tourneys?

5. Should Grass-root majors provide headphone amps so we can hear the game we're playing like Evo does? A lot of talk lately has included this line " We have to do it this way to stay in line with evo" So i ask all grass root majors deliver the same standard in providing all asus with no random tube TVs or LGs as well as a way to hear the game. Keep it consistent

Tekken:
First off I have nothing against Tekken and wish it nothing but the best but wanted some opinions from you guys. I feel the game is doomed in the tourney scene, I ask you guys this. Say 20 of us received a copy of mk9 year and a half before the rest received their copy (Korea, japan has had TTT2 for almost 2 years) would you then want to spend a lot of money to travel to compete? You think you could win? I don't think I could win being 2 years behind. Thats ridiculous this even happened but i get it.

So where as 64 participants went to MLG Dallas basically 58 went in for a slaughter by the hands of 6 Koreans. Why would they want to go back, spend all that money when they now know they stood no possible chance due to always being 2 years behind also new players like myself have a 10 year legacy curve. Sure 1/20 can adapt but those 1/20 aren't 30, married, many jobs and responsibilities. Sure if i was 12-22 with absolute no responsibilities where everything was being provided for me and I had nothing to occupy 90% of my time yes I could catch up but I think tekken outsmarts itself and limits its own market which is shame seeing how well made their games are.

if MK15 came out and it was 100% same as mk9 do you think a lot of new players would want to travel to compete knowing they are 6 games (10 years) behind? No

ShinBlanka
BigE
Tag any other TO please

Thoughts on all or some of these?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Tekken games have always taken a year or so to get a console version ready and released (except Tekken 5 which was on the PS2 within a few months but, we all know what happened there), I just think it's poor exposure and accessibility on Namco-Bandai's part. It's way too early to say at this point.

Lol @ Brady coining this "legacy curve" term by the way, what the fuck? It's nowhere near as daunting and overlooked as say, Virtua Fighter.

Pig Of The Hut

Tekken games have always taken a year or so to get a console version ready and released (except Tekken 5 which was on the PS2 within a few months but, we all know what happened there), I just think it's poor exposure and accessibility on Namco-Bandai's part. It's way too early to say at this point.

Lol @ Brady coining this "legacy curve" term by the way, what the fuck? It's nowhere near as daunting and overlooked as say, Virtua Fighter.
Imagine reo w Kabal 2 years before anyone else touched the game or PL with la, Jr with Jax, maxter with cyrax (lol )

Or me with Kenshi

Mannnnnnnnn It'd be over lol

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Imagine reo w Kabal 2 years before anyone else touched the game or PL with la, Jr with Jax, maxter with cyrax (lol )

Or me with Kenshi

Mannnnnnnnn It'd be over lol
To be fair having played Kabal extensively in UMK3 is probably what helped him break down Kabal the way he has in MK9 :p

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Grassroots
I ask the following questions assuming I am right, that MK9 will be at EVO 2013. Id rather not discuss why I say it will be.

1. Why is it that one of the biggest grass root tourneys of the year (NEC) is at the end of the Evo year where No Evo points can/will be rewarded for the upcoming 2013 evo where as smaller grass roots such as apex and winter brawl will pull in a third in attendance and reward evo points.

2. Shouldn't NEC be in Feb and Apex/WB in December? I feel the "championship" should be rewarding for evo attendees.

3. Should the grass root tourney organizers adopt the FT3 setting for upcoming majors (Apex, WB, Final Round, power up). This promotes the better player and MVC has adopted it so why cant we?

5. Should Grass-root majors provide headphone amps so we can hear the game we're playing like Evo does? A lot of talk lately has included this line " We have to do it this way to stay in line with evo" So i ask all grass root majors deliver the same standard in providing all asus with no random tube TVs or LGs as well as a way to hear the game. Keep it consistent

Tekken:
First off I have nothing against Tekken and wish it nothing but the best but wanted some opinions from you guys. I feel the game is doomed in the tourney scene, I ask you guys this. Say 20 of us received a copy of mk9 year and a half before the rest received their copy (Korea, japan has had TTT2 for almost 2 years) would you then want to spend a lot of money to travel to compete? You think you could win? I don't think I could win being 2 years behind. Thats ridiculous this even happened but i get it.

So where as 64 participants went to MLG Dallas basically 58 went in for a slaughter by the hands of 6 Koreans. Why would they want to go back, spend all that money when they now know they stood no possible chance due to always being 2 years behind also new players like myself have a 10 year legacy curve. Sure 1/20 can adapt but those 1/20 aren't 30, married, many jobs and responsibilities. Sure if i was 12-22 with absolute no responsibilities where everything was being provided for me and I had nothing to occupy 90% of my time yes I could catch up but I think tekken outsmarts itself and limits its own market which is shame seeing how well made their games are.

if MK15 came out and it was 100% same as mk9 do you think a lot of new players would want to travel to compete knowing they are 6 games (10 years) behind? No

ShinBlanka
BigE
Tag any other TO please

Some people go to tournaments to actually have fun. Who cares if the koreans kill everyone. I havent gone 2-2 since my first tourney and I still go to every one I can.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Well first off I can say that unless the Evo picks up MK and says it's 3/5, probably best to go with only top 16 or so go 3/5. Evo did this to Marvel.

Pig Of The Hut

Some people go to tournaments to actually have fun. Who cares if the koreans kill everyone. I havent gone 2-2 since my first tourney and I still go to every one I can.
Im not talking about going to tourneys within 2 hour drive, im talking major traveling

Hell yeah man, I get Emo and discouraged just thinking about catching up to top MK guys or even REO. My Kabal is in the making, I can only imagine how Tekken players feel or new Tekken players.

Zoidberg747

Im not talking about going to tourneys within 2 hour drive, im talking major traveling
Fair point, but dont people still do that for fun? I know STB Goldfish has been pretty much everywhere, nd then take all the people who go to a lot of tournaments and never place top 8. It might hinder their numbers but a lot of MK9 members still travel when LBSH the top 4 is almost always the same.

Pig Of The Hut

Fair point, but dont people still do that for fun? I know STB Goldfish has been pretty much everywhere, nd then take all the people who go to a lot of tournaments and never place top 8. It might hinder their numbers but a lot of MK9 members still travel when LBSH the top 4 is almost always the same.
idk man the 3-4 texans that travel go to win as do the NY crowd, vegas, atl crowd and most.

2 hours is one thing but take UFGT for example it was locals and maybe 5-6 who traveled (me, kevo, clint, glass sword, tom)

Zoidberg747

idk man the 3-4 texans that travel go to win as do the NY crowd, vegas, atl crowd and most.

2 hours is one thing but take UFGT for example it was locals and maybe 5-6 who traveled (me, kevo, clint, glass sword, tom)
Maybe your right. If I had the money and time to travel to majors I would mainly be doing it for fun, but I guess I might be in the minority.

Pig Of The Hut

Maybe your right. If I had the money and time to travel to majors I would mainly be doing it for fun, but I guess I might be in the minority.
If i didnt have commitments on tons of weekends for work id be the chris g of the mk community, at every local and major.

Of course i go cause i love it and its incredible fun but when i spend good $ to go to a tourney i also make sure im prepped to do well other wise id spend 500 per event x 8 and be out $4000

Grassroots

Tekken:

ShinBlanka
BigE
Tag any other TO please

First of all NEC has always been in Dec. It's called fgc tradition and everyone knows that NEC is in Dec. Just like everyone knows Final Round is in the late winter/early spring (march). That's just like asking why is Evo in the middle of the year? Because it is sir because it's tradition. That the way it's always been. No one questions why Evo is in the niddle of the year do they ? And I would never assume to question why EVO is held in the middle of the year. BigE runs an event in feb called winter brawl that gets evo points. You'll have to talk with BigE about how he does his scheduling for his events.

2nd of all in the history of the fighting game community MOST FIGHTERS in the past were release no less than 8-16 months in the arcades in asia before American arcades. So that is one of the reasons japan was always a step ahead of usa players in capcom based games. The only reason it wasn't that way in marvel games is because the japanese players didn't have a bond or relate to the marvel comic characters like american players did. Tekken games in the past were release in the asian arcades 1-2 years before we got it in the USA. Until recent history of the ps3/360 era of consoles the only way to get a new game on console was to import the asian version and mod your ps2 or dreamcast. As a MK player this scene has NEVER had to deal with this because midway was an american based fg company.

3rd with the history of the fgc TEKKEN is the 2nd biggest community in this genre of gaming around the world period! I know marvel has over taken that 2nd spot for the recent years, but over the history of the fgc around the world tekken was the 2nd biggest game in the world. With TTT2 release I have no doubt it will have a good life span in the fgc. The world has always had to catch up to the asian countries in street and tekken history. It's nothing they can't recover from again. The different now with the capcom games is they either release the arcade version around the same time as the console version or the console version is released 1st or it's never released in the arcade aka umvc3 or SCV. Tekken still has life in the arcade scene in japan and korea so of course it would be released over there 1st. SSF4 AE was released in the arcades 1st before the usa and was later added to console and then SSF4 ae ver2012 came out of console only and I think they just released an arcade version of ae.

The FGC scene for marvel as a whole survived not having a new game for atleast 11 years pig. Between the release of MvC2 and MvC3 was 11 years to the month! (feb 2000 was the arcade version of mvc2 release date and feb 2011 was mvc3 release date on console) In street fighter III 3rd strike there was a year and a month before the arcade release in japan may 1999 and the console version was released USA/world wide in june 2000. Or we can go between the last streetfighter game SFIII 3rd strike 1999 to sf4 vanilla july 2008 We all know the UMK3 is prolly the most popular mk until MK9 was released and how long ago was it between umc3 release and MK9 release and the mk scene stayed alive? UMK3 released in 1995 and mk9 was released april 2011 and that's 16 years and this community is still alive and kicking! Yes there was other mk's made between then, but umk3 was the main game still being played at major events across the nation in the FGC.

My point is ANY GAME can survive as long as the players show support. Do I think America can catch up to the asian countries players since they have a 2 year head start in Tekken? OF COURSE I DO! It won't happen overnight, but in time the USA players will be near or on the same playing field as their asian counterparts. Korea looks at tekken like americans look at MK and marvel. THOSE ARE OUR NATIONS BEST FG communities to rule a fighting game with an iron fist around the world! Near the end on T6 several players from the USA were thought of to be on the korean/japanese level in tekken6. Several USA players have defeated them in several Tekken6 events with the ATL own FR Anakin winning MLG dallas when they had a head start in T6 also.

You can overcome that head start with determination and skills. I've seen it done in countless games in the past and it can be done again. The main thing is does the tekken scene has the heart to compete on a high level in TTT2? Well for having the game for only 3 months and anakin beat one of those korean guys in the singles tournament at mlg shows me the USA players have a hellava chance to compete in TTT2 in a short amount of time. Give it a year and it will be close to even imo. Anakin went to the final set at FINAL ROUND15 with the japanese best player FRB AO and he NEVER EVEN PLAYED THE GAME before lol! Korea treats tekken like the USA treats marvel and mk. They feel it's their game and that's why their level is so much higher than the world right now. Hell they are just as hardcore about tekken as the USA is hardcore about madden football. They have TV shows in korea for tekken and we still competed against them in T6 and I don't see why it can't be the same again.

If anyone wants to base their willing to play a game as long as someone doesn't have it longer than them then that game is prolly not for them imo. this isn't anything new to the FGC and is pretty much an none issue in my eyes since i've been around for so long and have seen all of the fgc trends in the different games played by us gamers.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Say 20 of us received a copy of mk9 year and a half before the rest received their copy (Korea, japan has had TTT2 for almost 2 years) would you then want to spend a lot of money to travel to compete? You think you could win? I don't think I could win being 2 years behind. Thats ridiculous this even happened but i get it.
*clears throat* :(

YoungTrunks

There's a storm coming
You make great points on Tekken. What is the point of having it at Evo 2013 when all the Americans are almost 2 years behind. At first I was a big supporter of Tekken and wanted it to succeed...then I watched MLG Dallas. The 2 Koreans Helpme and JDCR? (not 100% that was the names) seemed to be miles ahead of the Americans. Even Anakin who is one of the best in America if not the best at Tekken. I say MK should definitely be at Evo 2013 alongside injustice. NRS is taking over the FGC and it's awesome to see.

I think we can all agree that the reason why UMvC3 went to a 3/5 tournament standard is because of the pace of the game. MK9 in no way moves as fast as UMvC3. Now, if I were to ask for an MK game to go best of 5 it would have to be UMK3 since that game is lighting fast.

If i didnt have commitments on tons of weekends for work id be the chris g of the mk community, at every local and major.

Of course i go cause i love it and its incredible fun but when i spend good $ to go to a tourney i also make sure im prepped to do well other wise id spend 500 per event x 8 and be out $4000
But pig you are looking at it from a top player point of view. The community elite in any game makes up the minority of that games scene. The majority of players attend FGC events because they have a passion for the games they compete in overall IMO. Most players know they don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the event so atteneding all of these events is more about competing against people/players that enjoy to play the same type of game to see who's the best. Everyone wants to win but only a few have a chance to win each tournament. yest there are upset's but for the most part people know who the top players are and if they stand a good chance against them. The normal grass roots events are based on the fact that no one group is greater than the community as a whole and the growth of the scene is the most important thing to keep things alive. You have to remember that 4 years ago the FG genre of gaming was thought of as a dead genre of gaming. (a niche game with only arcades ties) Thats not the case anymore.
I know how it is to have real life crap stop my gaming back in the day. When you have a wife, job, house note, car note, bills and everything else that comes with being a productive adult in todays world it's hard to justify spending up to $4000 on travel to your hobby for a player. IMAGINE BEING AN ORGANIZER HOW MUCH THIS HOBBY COST THEM?!?!?! In the past I lost plenty of money, but I continued to run FR for the SE region of the USA because it was our players outlet to gather and compete to see who was the best in this region. I can't speak for other organizers, but I run Final Round for the love of the games and the community that was formed from our players hobbies! Final Round was a Atlanta city tournament that turned into the major for the Southeast regional players. Now it's an international event with players coming from japan, korea, canada, mexico, PR, and Brazil. FGC wouldn't have grown to what it is today if the players didn't traveling and competing against each other with games that was 8-16 years old pig over that same time period! Remember there was no ONLINE GAMING for the older FG's back in the day, so you either traveled to tournaments or you sucked at the game unless you're lucky and lived in an area with a larger FG scene in your favorite game.

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
Say 20 of us received a copy of mk9 year and a half before the rest received their copy (Korea, japan has had TTT2 for almost 2 years) would you then want to spend a lot of money to travel to compete? You think you could win? I don't think I could win being 2 years behind. Thats ridiculous this even happened but i get it.
the "two years" thing is a little exaggerated because the game is pretty much a "Tekken 6 1/2." if you were solid in Tekken 6, it wouldn't take a whole lot longer to get very good at Tag 2. Anakin got 4th at MLG Dallas, only beaten by the koreans who had the slight time advantage on him, and he even managed to take out one of the koreans who had the two year jump on him.

remember when MK9 came out and Tom Brady had a headstart on everyone? remember how long it took that headstart to level out? :p dedication and confidence pay off pig, you should know this better than anyone.

You make great points on Tekken. What is the point of having it at Evo 2013 when all the Americans are almost 2 years behind. At first I was a big supporter of Tekken and wanted it to succeed...then I watched MLG Dallas. The 2 Koreans Helpme and JDCR? (not 100% that was the names) seemed to be miles ahead of the Americans. Even Anakin who is one of the best in America if not the best at Tekken. I say MK should definitely be at Evo 2013 alongside injustice. NRS is taking over the FGC and it's awesome to see.
In 3 months anakin beat one of the korean's best. How can you say with conviction that the USA players won't take another step closer to korean skill level? You could have said the samething about the japanese in umvc3 last year, but yet a small band of japanese players came to FR15 and competed on a higher level even though marvel is traditionally a USA dominate game. yes the game was released the sametime around the world, but the dominating fashion the korean's won in TTT2 at mlg a few weeks ago is the same dominating skill the USA showed over the world in umvc3 until AgeoJoe shock the world and won UMVC3. They won and it made the USA players hungry and they reclaimed being the best in UMVC3 when justin wong won SBO in umvc3!(the 1st american to ever win a SBO event) Nothing is impossible when there's a will and a way IMO!

the "two years" thing is a little exaggerated because the game is pretty much a "Tekken 6 1/2." if you were solid in Tekken 6, it wouldn't take a whole lot longer to get very good at Tag 2. Anakin got 4th at MLG Dallas, only beaten by the koreans who had the slight time advantage on him, and he even managed to take out one of the koreans who had the two year jump on him.

remember when MK9 came out and Tom Brady had a headstart on everyone? remember how long it took that headstart to level out? :p dedication and confidence pay off pig, you should know this better than anyone.

Anakin got 3RD NOT 4TH beeneeweenees. he beat saint in the losers semi finals and lost to jdcr in the losers final with that STUPID ASS CONTINUATION RULE! lol but don't get me started on that crap!

Pig Of The Hut

But pig you are looking at it from a top player point of view. The community elite in any game makes up the minority of that games scene. The majority of players attend FGC events because they have a passion for the games they compete in overall IMO. Most players know they don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the event so atteneding all of these events is more about competing against people/players that enjoy to play the same type of game to see who's the best. Everyone wants to win but only a few have a chance to win each tournament. yest there are upset's but for the most part people know who the top players are and if they stand a good chance against them. The normal grass roots events are based on the fact that no one group is greater than the community as a whole and the growth of the scene is the most important thing to keep things alive. You have to remember that 4 years ago the FG genre of gaming was thought of as a dead genre of gaming. (a niche game with only arcades ties) Thats not the case anymore.
I know how it is to have real life crap stop my gaming back in the day. When you have a wife, job, house note, car note, bills and everything else that comes with being a productive adult in todays world it's hard to justify spending up to $4000 on travel to your hobby for a player. IMAGINE BEING AN ORGANIZER HOW MUCH THIS HOBBY COST THEM?!?!?! In the past I lost plenty of money, but I continued to run FR for the SE region of the USA because it was our players outlet to gather and compete to see who was the best in this region. I can't speak for other organizers, but I run Final Round for the love of the games and the community that was formed from our players hobbies! Final Round was a Atlanta city tournament that turned into the major for the Southeast regional players. Now it's an international event with players coming from japan, korea, canada, mexico, PR, and Brazil. FGC wouldn't have grown to what it is today if the players didn't traveling and competing against each other with games that was 8-16 years old pig over that same time period! Remember there was no ONLINE GAMING for the older FG's back in the day, so you either traveled to tournaments or you sucked at the game unless you're lucky and lived in an area with a larger FG scene in your favorite game.
First of all NEC has always been in Dec. It's called fgc tradition and everyone knows that NEC is in Dec. Just like everyone knows Final Round is in the late winter/early spring (march). That's just like asking why is Evo in the middle of the year? Because it is sir because it's tradition. That the way it's always been. No one questions why Evo is in the niddle of the year do they ? And I would never assume to question why EVO is held in the middle of the year. BigE runs an event in feb called winter brawl that gets evo points. You'll have to talk with BigE about how he does his scheduling for his events.

2nd of all in the history of the fighting game community MOST FIGHTERS in the past were release no less than 8-16 months in the arcades in asia before American arcades. So that is one of the reasons japan was always a step ahead of usa players in capcom based games. The only reason it wasn't that way in marvel games is because the japanese players didn't have a bond or relate to the marvel comic characters like american players did. Tekken games in the past were release in the asian arcades 1-2 years before we got it in the USA. Until recent history of the ps3/360 era of consoles the only way to get a new game on console was to import the asian version and mod your ps2 or dreamcast. As a MK player this scene has NEVER had to deal with this because midway was an american based fg company.

3rd with the history of the fgc TEKKEN is the 2nd biggest community in this genre of gaming around the world period! I know marvel has over taken that 2nd spot for the recent years, but over the history of the fgc around the world tekken was the 2nd biggest game in the world. With TTT2 release I have no doubt it will have a good life span in the fgc. The world has always had to catch up to the asian countries in street and tekken history. It's nothing they can't recover from again. The different now with the capcom games is they either release the arcade version around the same time as the console version or the console version is released 1st or it's never released in the arcade aka umvc3 or SCV. Tekken still has life in the arcade scene in japan and korea so of course it would be released over there 1st. SSF4 AE was released in the arcades 1st before the usa and was later added to console and then SSF4 ae ver2012 came out of console only and I think they just released an arcade version of ae.

The FGC scene for marvel as a whole survived not having a new game for atleast 11 years pig. Between the release of MvC2 and MvC3 was 11 years to the month! (feb 2000 was the arcade version of mvc2 release date and feb 2011 was mvc3 release date on console) In street fighter III 3rd strike there was a year and a month before the arcade release in japan may 1999 and the console version was released USA/world wide in june 2000. Or we can go between the last streetfighter game SFIII 3rd strike 1999 to sf4 vanilla july 2008 We all know the UMK3 is prolly the most popular mk until MK9 was released and how long ago was it between umc3 release and MK9 release and the mk scene stayed alive? UMK3 released in 1995 and mk9 was released april 2011 and that's 16 years and this community is still alive and kicking! Yes there was other mk's made between then, but umk3 was the main game still being played at major events across the nation in the FGC.

My point is ANY GAME can survive as long as the players show support. Do I think America can catch up to the asian countries players since they have a 2 year head start in Tekken? OF COURSE I DO! It won't happen overnight, but in time the USA players will be near or on the same playing field as their asian counterparts. Korea looks at tekken like americans look at MK and marvel. THOSE ARE OUR NATIONS BEST FG communities to rule a fighting game with an iron fist around the world! Near the end on T6 several players from the USA were thought of to be on the korean/japanese level in tekken6. Several USA players have defeated them in several Tekken6 events with the ATL own FR Anakin winning MLG dallas when they had a head start in T6 also.

You can overcome that head start with determination and skills. I've seen it done in countless games in the past and it can be done again. The main thing is does the tekken scene has the heart to compete on a high level in TTT2? Well for having the game for only 3 months and anakin beat one of those korean guys in the singles tournament at mlg shows me the USA players have a hellava chance to compete in TTT2 in a short amount of time. Give it a year and it will be close to even imo. Anakin went to the final set at FINAL ROUND15 with the japanese best player FRB AO and he NEVER EVEN PLAYED THE GAME before lol! Korea treats tekken like the USA treats marvel and mk. They feel it's their game and that's why their level is so much higher than the world right now. Hell they are just as hardcore about tekken as the USA is hardcore about madden football. They have TV shows in korea for tekken and we still competed against them in T6 and I don't see why it can't be the same again.

If anyone wants to base their willing to play a game as long as someone doesn't have it longer than them then that game is prolly not for them imo. this isn't anything new to the FGC and is pretty much an none issue in my eyes since i've been around for so long and have seen all of the fgc trends in the different games played by us gamers.

These are great posts I hope everyone reads

I learned a hell of a lot from them and I appreciate your education on all this

THANKS man!!! both of u

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
the OP argument could be said for this game as well.

If you just got this "underdeveloped" game.... and saw all the relative bullshit and inconsistency..... why would you pay to travel and get involved (see tierlist threads).

Just the pot calling the kettle black and all. just worry about MK...... let the other games sort themselves out.