What's new

GGA | Dizzy Wins MKX at First Attack 2015

Was a little disappointed in Dizzy's play. Felt like he show have steamrolled everyone he played except Gross, but that wasnt the case at all. Congrats on the win though.

Johnny cage is in the 10 thru 15 range imo but is very good and well rounded gratz dizzy now we need a kano main to win a tournament lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Good shit Dizzy. Finally going back to your roots!

Cage isn't the best, but he's good enough to win. Should be all that matters. Stop worrying about getting the same level of buffs other characters are getting. If your character can win, they can win. Is it hard? Probably...it's gonna be hard no matter who you use, tbh.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, though. My character got serious buffs. Though I thought my character was capable regardless.

BS3OOO

Noob
Good shit Dizzy. Finally going back to your roots!

Cage isn't the best, but he's good enough to win. Should be all that matters. Stop worrying about getting the same level of buffs other characters are getting. If your character can win, they can win. Is it hard? Probably...it's gonna be hard no matter who you use, tbh.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, though. My character got serious buffs. Though I thought my character was capable regardless.
Good enough to win a major with YOMI and SonicFox in attendance?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Good enough to win a major with YOMI and SonicFox in attendance?
It's not like Dizzy is a terrible player. He's won a major before with YOMI guys and Fox in attendance, as well as other great players. He actually beat Fox in grand finals to win the tournament. You see guys like Saltface getting very deep with characters like Mileena.

Like I said, it's not easy. But it's not easy for any of these guys. Fox is constantly being sent to losers somewhere in the tournament, using Erron and Kitana. Everyone who makes it far is good enough to take tournaments, really.

BS3OOO

Noob
It's not like Dizzy is a terrible player. He's won a major before with YOMI guys and Fox in attendance, as well as other great players. He actually beat Fox in grand finals to win the tournament. You see guys like Saltface getting very deep with characters like Mileena.

Like I said, it's not easy. But it's not easy for any of these guys. Fox is constantly being sent to losers somewhere in the tournament, using Erron and Kitana. Everyone who makes it far is good enough to take tournaments, really.
I'm familiar with Dizzy's history. Dating back to MK9, he's definitely a top 5 player considering what he did with Cage in that game. I just know there's crazy good characters in this game. The last time Dizzy beat SonicFox and made top 8 when they were in attendance was when Raiden had crazy chip, option selects, and crazy damage. I would love to be proven wrong, but I personally don't see him getting past them right now.....but you never know. I saw too many opportunities that a lot of his opponents didn't capitalize on in this tournaments. So many missed punishes, dropped combos by his opponents, and less-damaging combos.

But hey Dizzy, use the doubters as your motivation! It's still good seeing you return to Cage and I look forward to seeing where you can take him. I'm just a spectator.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
u still think johnnmade hack?
He's alright. Dizzy is just a very good player. Good fighting fundamentals mate
What? @GGA Dizzy won a tournament using Johnny Cage? But I thought he was bad, certainly not fine, needing buffs, including triple chip damage in Fistcuffs? Not to mention he's a Ford Focus (with no mirrors). Man, this is so wrong in so many ways.

@Asodimazze
@Name v.5.0
@ The whole Johnny Cage (downplaying) community

Please, explain.

----
NINJA EDIT:

Oh, and congrats for the win, Dizzy! Keep it up! |o/

Aaaaaaand, as promised, here it is:

Looking forward to quote this more and more in the near future!
No one in the Johnny community has said he is unviable. Johnny is still not a top tier regardless of this placement.

I for one watched this stream and Dizzy definitely played well. The run cancels were on point and the pressure looked amazing. That being said, Dizzy got away with blocked nutpunches when he had no meter (so that he cant cancel it on Block). Given the close rounds and matches, these matches could have turned out differently.

Learn to recognize a good player putting in good work, but dont make it sound like the character is doing the work - thats also a discredit of player skill.

Last edited:

Tweedy

Noob
I just don't understand how a character like Tempest Lao is that much better than A List Cage.

Come at me, downplayers.

For real, though. I think i'm missing something here. These were the two characters that I narrowed it down to when I was deciding my main. I just love Lao's jumping 2 too much to not use him, besides that I think they're pretty similar.

Edit: Not to discredit Dizzy or anything. There are countless Cages who aren't nearly as good as him. I'm not even saying Cage is top tier, but even if I was, it takes a lot more than a good character to win a major.

Last edited:

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I just don't understand how a character like Tempest Lao is that much better than A List Cage.

Come at me, downplayers.

For real, though. I think i'm missing something here. These were the two characters that I narrowed it down to when I was deciding my main. I just love Lao's jumping 2 too much to not use him, besides that I think they're pretty similar.

Edit: Not to discredit Dizzy or anything. There are countless Cages who aren't nearly as good as him. I'm not even saying Cage is top tier, but even if I was, it takes a lot more than a good character to win a major.
Jump ins for Kung Lao are much better than Johnny's. Kung Lao has access to some very scary blockpressure, good meter building as well as tons of +frames. It has been toned down since release but at it's core, Kung Lao's pressure is very overwhelming. They both lack the hard 50/50's that are a big part of the game, but IMO Kung Lao has much more options and doesn't rely on stamina in the same way as Johnny. Kung Lao also packs a lot of damage for a heavy rushdown character, whereas Johnny falls a little short on damage (at least in A list - stunt double packs some huge damage).

They're very similar in terms of their game plan - but I would like to say that Johnny seems to be the most demanding character. Johnny's efficiency is determined by how good the player is at runcancels and even pros fuck them up sometimes. I know there's heavy downplayers but honestly, Johnny is also seeing a lot of the opposite. IMO Johnny is in the higher end of the mid spectrum with A-list. A good, clean pressure character. While I could complain about laughable jump ins and weak anti air, I absolutely love the fact we have one of the best advancing moves in the game with our f3.

However the results always look better with Lao IMO. And it's not downplaying. A matchup between these guys is pretty even but some matchups are just cancer to deal with as a Johnny player. Some of us level up and do well, as seen with Dizzy, Xinok, Eddie etc.

It's just my opinion though, I may be wrong, maybe Johnny is top 5 in this game, maybe he's not.

Juanchaaa

Skarlet Tech Junkie
As a Puertorican player and having competed against him in Dizzy's first match of pool; I can say without a shadow of a doubt no one here knew that A-List Match Up.

And you better believe I was the "That Guy" running the crowd in the background. When Atai won "and it seem like we reacted as if he won the entire tournament" was because for us the fact that he got the win against a GREAT player was more important than anything else.

And lets be real, when there is homecourt advantage and in this case there where 5 PR players, 2 americans and a DR beast; you better believe that the six man will do everything to try and make theyre boyz win.

All around it was a great top 8 and in the end dizzy got the respect from the crowd; he deserved it, simple as that.

Glad Dizzy won it. I was a little annoyed by the pop off from Atai after sending Dizzy to losers. Atai and the crowd acted as if he won the whole thing. Justice served. Dizzys Johnny is for real in MKX.
It was like when HoneyBee send SonicFox to losers at Evo15, everyone went crazy including HoneyBee, but I understand and respect your perspective. #WeAreBoricuas #WeCan'tKeepCalm

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Hey all, thank you for the congratulations, I appreciate it. I think A-List has a lot of potential but it will take many months still until we start to really see it. This tournament just let people see some of it, there is much still to practice that is difficult to do in tournament.

I'll address a few things (but ignore most of the pointless arguing or asinine posts)

1. I was not upset at being cheered against when playing the Puerto Rican players in top 8. I would think ANY place would cheer for their own countries players. Good stuff to Atai, he said this was his first placement in a tournament and he was excited to have done well against me and Chris G. I do not hold anything against him for celebrating when he beat me in winners finals and had the crowd cheering for him. I did not feel disrespected in anyway way, all the Puerto Rican players at first attack were very nice to me and accomodating. I had a lot of fun at the tournament.

2. I was there as a vacation with my girlfriend, who is Puerto Rican, who has family there that we visited. It was the first time to the island for the both of us and was amazing. My reward for winning the tournament was hiking up a mountain in the rain forest the next day. My butt hurts

3. Speaking of butts, I met Big Butt Jackson, a true man of the people. A true Boricua. He posts here in the JC forums too but I don't know if he wants me to reveal his identity.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but it was amazing. I am about to get on my flight back home now.

Many thanks to the hospitality of the PR scene, such as Georgie, Jose (don't remember your tag), Juan/Sento, etc. Also shout outs to Gross not taking advantage of pre-registration and having me playing him in pools before top 8.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I just look down on anyone, in any sport or competition who starts celebrating and popping off before its over. I understand the crowd reacting, but Atai popping off and then losing the tournament to the same guy he celebrated a set win over....lol.
I just don't get it. Why are so many people on this site "looking down" on people celebrating, showing any sort of out burst of emotion or pride, or just generally being excited about a win?

In this instance, Atai CLEARLY was proud of himself for taking down a killer like Dizzy, and you can put on top of that, the fact that Atai was the "home town hero" so the whole crowd was on his side. There is no doubt that he was feeling the pressure in that moment, so the fact that he went down 0-2, then came back 3-0 is a HUGE deal.

So many people are concerned with things that don't matter on this site. Atai shook Dizzy's hand (after his win, and after his lose), so I don't get the "un-sportsman-like" vibe that so many other people are getting.

And don't forget either, Dizzy "popped off" / celebrated after his win at Combo Breaker over Sonic Fox, who also popped off on PL at Summer Jam, who also popped off on so many other players, who in turn have popped off on others. This is just a part of the human experience. You may not like it, but in these types of situations things get incredibly tense, and a release is generally needed. There is no ill will in many of these instances, so there is no need to inject your own ills into them.