What's new

GameSpy Servers Shutting Down May 31st; Waiting on word from NRS concerning MK9

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Yes, you read that right. According to their official website, the GameSpy servers are going offline effective May 31st. This will obviously effect Mortal Kombat 9 as it currently uses the GameSpy servers for players to host their online games.

Apparently GameSpy has been bought out by a mobile company called Glu Mobile last year, so that likely has something to do with this. This is a big hit for us... no doubt about that. We would also like to say that we have immediately reached out NetherRealm Studios to look in to this. Once we here back from NRS we will keep you informed as soon as we can.

edited by STORMS*

gamespy.jpg

From the official "Powered ByGameSpy" website:
"Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy.
If you have any questions about how this impacts your favorite title please contact the game’s publisher for more information.
Thanks for a great ride!

- See more at: http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/#sthash.t6D5DI7e.dpuf"

Source: PowerByGameSpy via Shoryuken via @Konqrr

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, MK9 was dead anyway. #Pessimist

Will WB let NRS do something about the online play? If they are allowed to take action, then perhaps this is an opportunity for another patch? That is assuming a new host/new servers for online play is something that can be added in a patch, which I doubt, but anyone is free to enlighten me.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Good. About time. Gamespy servers are shit. Mostly because people can hack them. Mkd mka mkvsdc were good games but online sucked. Mk9 online still works on the vita even though ps3 has had problems.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Will this affect PC as well? I dont know if that uses gamespy servers as well

Just swap it out with Injustice net engine :) While you are in there buff Skarlet (although better netcode would be a Skarlet buff)

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Whoa whoa! NRS better switch to another server provider, like yesterday. I love my MK9 and I've been getting back into it lately. I find it more enjoyable than Injustice, which I haven't touched in months.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
What if they are going to move the MK servers to another company?! NEW NETCODE CONFIRMED!!!
Seriously though if MK9 online on PC stops working am gonna rage so bad... Especially that it was released only months ago.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
I know its Laggy as fuck on PSN but they could at least have it up until MK10 comes out and put MK9 also on the same server as MK10.