What's new

Future of MKX on PC; MKXL Enhanced Online PC BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.
He already owns one I'm sure. Who the hell switches "back" to console in 2004, at a time when PC gaming was beginning to really take off.
I don't own a current generation console yet, and in 2004 PC gaming was actually in decline outside of MMO's. Most developers around that time were really starting to focus more on console and started showcasing cross platform games with the console versions, mostly the original Xbox.

I still have my original Xbox and it works great to this day.

PC gaming began to "really take off" in the mid-90's, and that lasted for a solid decade. Then it switched back to consoles for a little over half a decade, then began moving back to PC as the last console generation dragged on.

nwo

Noob
I don't own a current generation console yet, and in 2004 PC gaming was actually in decline outside of MMO's. Most developers around that time were really starting to focus more on console and started showcasing cross platform games with the console versions, mostly the original Xbox.

I still have my original Xbox and it works great to this day.

PC gaming began to "really take off" in the mid-90's, and that lasted for a solid decade. Then it switched back to consoles for a little over half a decade, then began moving back to PC as the last console generation dragged on.
It began to take off in the mid to late 1990's yeah, Steam began to take off around 2004 with Half Life 2. You're kidding yourself to say that it switched back to consoles. The average mainstream gamer will always be on a console. That's probably what you are.

I'm not going to Wikipedia and looking up dates. I lived through this shit.

Last edited:
It began to take off in the mid to late 1990's yeah, Steam began to take off around 2004 with Half Life 2. You're kidding yourself to say that it switched back to consoles. The average mainstream gamer will always be on a console. That's probably what you are.

I'm not going to Wikipedia and looking up dates. I lived through this shit.
Assuming the age in your profile is correct, I'm older than you and I also lived through "this shit."

Steam didn't begin to take off in 2004, it was launched either in 2003 or 2004 and it was nothing but hot air:

- Pseudo Offline Mode when Offline was still a big thing
- Forced patch downloads for an Offline game (the forum complaints on those at the time were... interesting)
- EULA that violated other product's EULA, including Half-Life 2 when Valve started having their lovers spat with EA

And then that brings us to Half-Life 2, the second coming of Christ for PC gaming at the time, which turned out to be nothing but a glorified tech demo for Havok physics and just an average game that was inferior to the original in so many practical ways

- Enemy AI was worse than the 1998 original
- Don't get me started on the atrocious friendly AI
- Shoving physics down the players throat at every opportunity
- Poor weapon development over the original (the Gravity Gun falls into the above bullet point, and was boring after 2 seconds with the dumb as shit AI. Don't get me started about the Super Gravity Gun at game's end)
- Stacking brick puzzles, again tying into the physics tech demo aspect, to "challenge" the player
- God awful vehicle sequences
- Exceptional presentation of a bland story that went no where

I could go on, but considering I was not a fan of Half-Life 2 and everyone else and their mother was, that blows your "mainstream gamer" comment out of the water. Heck considering S.H.O.D.A.N. is my avatar, that should also have been a hint.

In 2004, PC's had Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft, and cross platform games. The Xbox had the Halo franchise, which surprised me about how great it was compared to PC shooters of the time. Excellent weapons, superb enemy AI for the day, ridiculously fun vehicle sequences, and in Halo 2, the choice of how to tackle the linear path; it was so innovative and fun in comparison.

PC also had to wait for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel, and then Jade Empire and even Mass Effect later on. Doom 3, outside of lesser graphics, actually had better pacing and thus gameplay on Xbox over PC, which took me by complete surprise. LucasArts kept showing off Star Wars: Republic Commando on Xbox, not the PC version, at trade shows over time, and the Xbox got an advance demo; can't recall if PC did.

Same with BioShock, originally showing the PC version in early footage, then switched to the Xbox 360 version all the way.

In terms of shooters and RPGs, the genres I cared for at the time, Xbox, and then Xbox 360, was where it was at in 2004 to 2006, and that's because of how developers were shifting their own game. Remember all the "console dumbing down" complaints about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion from PC gamers at the time?

Anyway, this post is long enough and was a nice little trip down memory lane. Going forward though, please don't pretend that you know me. You don't.

Assuming the age in your profile is correct, I'm older than you and I also lived through "this shit."

Steam didn't begin to take off in 2004, it was launched either in 2003 or 2004 and it was nothing but hot air:

- Forced patch downloads for an Offline game (the forum complaints on those at the time were... interesting)
- EULA that violated other product's EULA, including Half-Life 2 when Valve started having their lovers spat with EA

And then that brings us to Half-Life 2, the second coming of Christ for PC gaming at the time, which turned out to be nothing but a glorified tech demo for Havok physics and just an average game that was inferior to the original in so many practical ways

- Poor weapon development over the original (the Gravity Gun falls into the above bullet point, and was boring after 2 seconds with the dumb as shit AI. Don't get me started about the Super Gravity Gun at game's end)
- Stacking brick puzzles, again tying into the physics tech demo aspect, to "challenge" the player

I could go on, but considering I was not a fan of Half-Life 2 and everyone else and their mother was, that blows your "mainstream gamer" comment out of the water. Heck considering S.H.O.D.A.N. is my avatar, that should also have been a hint.

In 2004, PC's had Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft, and cross platform games. The Xbox had the Halo franchise, which surprised me about how great it was compared to PC shooters of the time. Excellent weapons, superb enemy AI for the day, ridiculously fun vehicle sequences, and in Halo 2, the choice of how to tackle the linear path; it was so innovative and fun in comparison.

PC also had to wait for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel, and then Jade Empire and even Mass Effect later on. Doom 3, outside of lesser graphics, actually had better pacing and thus gameplay on Xbox over PC, which took me by complete surprise. LucasArts kept showing off Star Wars: Republic Commando on Xbox, not the PC version, at trade shows over time, and the Xbox got an advance demo; can't recall if PC did.

Same with BioShock, originally showing the PC version in early footage, then switched to the Xbox 360 version all the way.

In terms of shooters and RPGs, the genres I cared for at the time, Xbox, and then Xbox 360, was where it was at in 2004 to 2006, and that's because of how developers were shifting their own game. Remember all the "console dumbing down" complaints about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion from PC gamers at the time?

Anyway, this post is long enough and was a nice little trip down memory lane. Going forward though, please don't pretend that you know me. You don't.
i was going to agree with you on that post but then i read half life 2 rant. how dare you?
LOOK AT YOU. HACKER.

i was going to agree with you on that post but then i read half life 2 rant. how dare you?
LOOK AT YOU. HACKER.
Ha, sorry, but after the amazing that Half-Life was and what it did not only for PC gaming but the FPS genre as a whole, Half-Life 2 was a total let down for me.

It was an amazing tech demo for Havik Physics, and also for facial animations and the potential of the Source Engine at the time, but as an actual FPS it was an average game with so many problems.

They patched the AI though with the improved AI from Half-Life Episode 2 now though. If you want to see the original shitty AI from Half-Life 2, I think the only option is to get and play the original Xbox version now.

I actually did experiments back in the day to truly test the AI, and it was bad. Real bad. Worse than 1998 Half-Life bad. Half-Life 2 stands as one of my most disappointing games of all time.

Oh, and I'm psyched just by the announcement of System Shock 3. System Shock 2 is one of the single greatest games I've ever played period, and I've judged many a game to it since 1999.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Oh, and I'm psyched just by the announcement of System Shock 3. System Shock 2 is one of the single greatest games I've ever played period, and I've judged many a game to it since 1999.
I somehow ended up with System Shock 2 in my gog library. I don't remember how I got this, I just know it was freebie at some point. And now you made me want to finally play it. I know it's random, but I had to comment on it since I lacked incentive to start this game. ;)

I somehow ended up with System Shock 2 in my gog library. I don't remember how I got this, I just know it was freebie at some point. And now you made me want to finally play it. I know it's random, but I had to comment on it since I lacked incentive to start this game. ;)
It's quite an old game by now, but it's still one of my top 5 games of all time. The atmosphere in it is exceptional, as is the game's sound mix and use of audio logs.

High, highly recommended.

nwo

Noob

You're off a little bit to say the least. You type a book and don't even get 1 like.

You're forgetting a bunch of other PC FPS games that came out around the same time as HL2. Doom 3, Far Cry, CS:Source. All were great. CSS was a top game on Steam for a decade, then CS:GO took its place.

Any of these games that were ported to the consoles, turned out to really fucking suck.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
So it seems like a lot of effort and time went into the new netcode, even a dev saying they had to straight up rebuild the game from the ground up to make it work.

So assuming that's a significant roadblock for the PC version, as a lot of work would have to be done to porting it over.

Would you guys feel more insulted if they never touched the PC version again, or if they ported over the characters and not the netcode?

You're off a little bit to say the least. You type a book and don't even get 1 like.

You're forgetting a bunch of other PC FPS games that came out around the same time as HL2. Doom 3, Far Cry, CS:Source. All were great. CSS was a top game on Steam for a decade, then CS:GO took its place.

Any of these games that were ported to the consoles, turned out to really fucking suck.
I'm not off at all, but believe as you wish. I'm also not fishing for likes, so that's another moot point.

I'm not forgetting other high profile games either, I simply listed the most prominent ones that came to me in the first few seconds. If I listed all the major games of that time, I really would be writing a book.

To comment on the titles you listed:

- Doom 3 was the reason many people were upgrading their PC's in the summer of 2004, and the game was met with significant criticism and didn't meet fan expectations for numerous reasons. It did well, but of the big three shooters of that year, it was ripped on the most. I mentioned the Xbox version as you may not for a reason.

- I don't recall Farcry making a huge splash, but Crysis sure did.

- Counter Strike: Source did well of course, but it's a remake of an existing game.

So it seems like a lot of effort and time went into the new netcode, even a dev saying they had to straight up rebuild the game from the ground up to make it work.

So assuming that's a significant roadblock for the PC version, as a lot of work would have to be done to porting it over.

Would you guys feel more insulted if they never touched the PC version again, or if they ported over the characters and not the netcode?
For me, I'd be more insulted if they never touched the game again. Personally, I can survive without the rollback netcode (though of course I'd like it), and I can certainly survive without Kombat Pack 2 and The Pit (though they'd be nice as well).

The main thing I want is the balance changes, something that shouldn't be overly difficult.

chris999

Noob

I believe that the most insulting thing they can do is to continue to ignore their pc fans, even after the 1st of March. I could accept an excuse about the netcode, because it's something new and they could say "we tried to implement it also on pc but due to technicals reasons ... blah blah blah... we couldn't do it" at least in this case there would be a possibility that they tell us the truth.

However regarding the characters, if they finally don't give them to us, as it seems now, you can be sure that is nothing more than a greedy and insulting attitude. This process has already completed successfully with kp1, so the only thing you need to do as a publisher company, is to hire the same team or another team, pay them the same amount of money and then boom, you have kp2 for pc, as simple as that. If you don't do it, it means that you decide to destroy your reputation and deceive your customers just to save some $. That is an acceptable move by a new company consisted of alumni students, who face the danger of bankruptcy, but for a company like WB/NRS is just pure shady business.

I believe that the most insulting thing they can do is to continue to ignore their pc fans, even after the 1st of March. I could accept an excuse about the netcode, because it's something new and they could say "we tried to implement it also on pc but due to technicals reasons ... blah blah blah... we couldn't do it" at least in this case there would be a possibility that they tell us the truth.

However regarding the characters, if they finally don't give them to us, as it seems now, you can be sure that is nothing more than a greedy and insulting attitude. This process has already completed successfully with kp1, so the only thing you need to do as a publisher company, is to hire the same team or another team, pay them the same amount of money and then boom, you have kp2 for pc, as simple as that. If you don't do it, it means that you decide to destroy your reputation and deceive your customers just to save some $. That is an acceptable move by a new company consisted of alumni students, who face the danger of bankruptcy, but for a company like WB/NRS is just pure shady business.
Up to this point I still wonder why NRS and WB haven't given statements on the PC version yet. How hard it is to write two to three sentences for an official statement?

It's like waiting for your crush to tell you that she likes you? (Which is more impossible than KP2 for PC)

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
Up to this point I still wonder why NRS and WB haven't given statements on the PC version yet. How hard it is to write two to three sentences for an official statement?

It's like waiting for your crush to tell you that she likes you? (Which is more impossible than KP2 for PC)
that's how they treat their customers, totally a company who really cares about their customers.

chris999

Noob
Hello guys, I couldn't watch the whole stream, but I watched the first 30 minutes. The interesting part is that in the promo video of the new ermac skin there is the steam logo again. This new skin costs 1.99 $ I think and it will be used to support the upcoming tournaments. So that means that if it is going to be delivered on PC, there is or there will be a dev team that will work on that and add it on the game.

What this could mean? We are going to have good news for PC in the next 10-15 days or WB/NRS has decided to troll PC players asking them to pay more money to support tournaments, where only console players will be able to participate. Let's see what will happen.

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
Hello guys, I couldn't watch the whole stream, but I watched the first 30 minutes. The interesting part is that in the promo video of the new ermac skin there is the steam logo again. This new skin costs 1.99 $ I think and it will be used to support the upcoming tournaments. So that means that if it is going to be delivered on PC, there is or there will be a dev team that will work on that and add it on the game.

What this could mean? We are going to have good news for PC in the next 10-15 days or WB/NRS has decided to troll PC players asking them to pay more money to support tournaments, where only console players will be able to participate. Let's see what will happen.
at this point I totally think they're going for pc players' money without supporting them by doing KP2, selling skins is the next logical thing for them.

So, PC`s wont get all the "meat" that is new netcode and KP2, BUT will be blessed with opportunity to spend more money on this crappy pallete swap to fund CONSOLE tournaments?

This... this is beyond my comprehension...

WB/NRS have no dignity, no shame, they killed PC community and now they fuck it`s corpses dry with pleasure...

This is cancer, this is literally most cancerous thing i`ve experienced in internet ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.