First impressions on Rain.

Discussion in 'Rain' started by CptXecution, Jul 19, 2011.

1. CptXecution

CptXecution Brain Dead Bro Staff Member

I know it's only been 2 hours but let me know what you guys think of Rain so far. His specials, fatalities, x-ray, combos, etc.
  2. GodsLonelyman

GodsLonelyman Well-Known Member

hard to say but judging from what I've experimented with this purple ninja is gonna be a pain in the ass to fight against. He has a shitload of tools and tricks up his sleeve.
  3. PANDEMlC

PANDEMlC El Psy Congroo

XBL:
    PANDEMlC
    He's like Raiden, Sektor and Quan Chi all combined into one. Just wish he had a low combo starter. But then I guess he'd be too good.
  4. Albo

Albo A teleport and a dream

he has one low hit combo which is b2,3 and you cannot link that with anything. other than that he has an overhead which is b2,1+2. he has a terrible mix up game for a reason as you said. rain players would have to rely on their other tools as well as jump in punches and crossovers in order to land some of these combo. the overhead string could be easily read and fuzzy guarded if the opponent is ducking and has good reactions though. the low hit combo does 10% on block and is pretty quick but is is very unsafe for rain from what i can see. i'm not sure but the overhead string seems unsafe on block too. just realised you can cancel both strings after b2 into geyser kick which is very safe. the geyser kick looks incredibly hard to punish for some characters.
  5. THTB

THTB #BlackRanger Staff Member

XBL:
    x THTB x
    I'm liking Rain a lot.

If you look too much into high/low mixups, you'll think his offense is bad. That's far from the truth. Roundhouse can be dash cancelled, and the range is pretty nice on it. He can do stuff like string into roundhouse cancel then grab, do low hit into roundhouse to check them if they try to jump away, naked roundhouse cancel into string into roundhouse if they want to low poke, etc. It's really good, and the move is safe. 43 has good reach, 3 comes out fast so that string works as well.

Also, Rain has great ways to prevent wakeup scenarios after juggles. Bubble and stream leave the opponents standing, and bubble can control where they land. Very good for positioning as well.
  6. nightblade420

nightblade420 New Member

So far it looks like to much hype and we'll see who actually sticks with him
  7. Kwon

Kwon ---->----

Anyone get the impression that Rain is a bit too good? :D
  8. Richmatic

Richmatic New Member

nope he seems pretty fair but he seems like a cool character. It does seem he is going to take some teleporting or jump punches to get his combos going close range, but mid-range or long range lighting and bubble will lead to some good combos I wouldn't be surprised if his play style becomes a little similar to smokes
  9. Gthunda866

Gthunda866 Lazer Eye!

So THTB are we going to see some Rain from you at tourneys that allow him or after EVO
  10. Lyuben

Lyuben Sinestro's might!

Can someone describe his playstyle and things to me? I left on holiday today -very conveniently on the day Rain came out and won't be able to play him for 2 weeks. What is he like, what are the properties of his specials and his x-ray. Thanks. Appreciate it.
  11. Gthunda866

Gthunda866 Lazer Eye!

His sorta like Rain where he has a projectile that can get you into combos but if you do that I don't think I have seen very damaging ones from starting the combo with the projectile, he has some good combos and some very nice placement with the bubble, plus his really good at avoiding wake-ups with the bubble and the water gun
  12. Kwon

Kwon ---->----

Yes, they're very similar.
  13. JHCRANE 14

JHCRANE 14 Active Member

My first impression of rain during my lunch break (hehe) is that he really dependent on his special moves. Very similar to smoke and noob. He only has seven chain combos just like those characters, but that does not mean he is not a good character. In my opinion his water orb is easily the best 0% damage capture projectile in the game. Example: cyrax's nex and sub-zero's ice ball.
  14. Lyuben

Lyuben Sinestro's might!

Can someone list his specials? I think there was lighning, water orb, water spout and roundhouse kick. What else does he have? And what do they do specifically? And how does his x-ray work?? Is it a low or overhead or high? How much raw damage and can you combo after?
  15. Kwon

Kwon ---->----

Lyuben

His X-ray sends you across the screen with a Superkick, and you can Kombo after it, if you time it right. :)

An uppercut after is easiest to do though, some prefer doing the Geyser Kick after X-Ray.

Watch the kick , Geyser-Kick after the X-ray here
  16. PND OmegaK

PND OmegaK [joking intensifies] Premium Supporter

XBL:
    PND OmegaK

He has a teleport similar to Raidens, but can be done in the air.
    An upwards flying kick, not quite sure how to explain it.
    Water orb.
    Lightning.
    Roundhouse.
    Water stream as shown in the trailer.
    H20 Boost which gices you a very high damage boost but disables blocking.
  17. Lyuben

Lyuben Sinestro's might!

Is his teleport safe? And how safe is H20 boost? I know crunchys one is super unsafe.
  18. Kwon

Kwon ---->----

Lyuben

His teleport is Raiden-like :D

Watch it here

His First Fatality

His second Fatality
  19. mesk

mesk New Member

To me,Rain feels more "ninja like" then the other ninja's ;)
    Am I the only one who thinks that?
  20. Error

Error Born in May

PSN:
    Pittyfulme
    Chubby Scorpion is priceless.
  21. Poto2222

Poto2222 Brazilian Ownage

Wait, his Roundhouse Kick is Dash Cancellable?

So... Any infinite combos found? :D
  22. Albo

Albo A teleport and a dream

it can also be cancelled by any specials as i have said in another rain thread.
  23. I'd say him and Scorpion are the most 'ninja' in the game in regards to looks and moves.
  24. salvificblood

salvificblood Worst Sub-Zero Ever Premium Supporter

Will his roundhouse be the equivalent of Sub-Zero's 22, in this case?
  25. EvilNonsense

EvilNonsense steals your stuff

He seems pretty gimmicky. I can only imagine the lighting and roundhouse kick spamming on the horizon.