What's new

First Day of the NFL Draft - Impressions

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Okay, so first day of the draft was today. Thoughts about your specific teams, anyone?

I, for one, am shocked at how the Browns handled that #4 pick. I really, REALLY wanted Watkins...that would've made the Manziel pick even more worth it, but it took a little bit of thinking and reading to see that their picks may be solid in the long run.

Overall, I'd have to give them a B-. Manziel pick-up is pretty strong, regardless, but man, Watkins alongside Manziel/Hoyer, Gordon, Thomas, and Cameron would've been sweeeeeeet.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Okay, so first day of the draft was today. Thoughts about your specific teams, anyone?

I, for one, am shocked at how the Browns handled that #4 pick. I really, REALLY wanted Watkins...that would've made the Manziel pick even more worth it, but it took a little bit of thinking and reading to see that their picks may be solid in the long run.

Overall, I'd have to give them a B-. Manziel pick-up is pretty strong, regardless, but man, Watkins alongside Manziel/Hoyer, Gordon, Thomas, and Cameron would've been sweeeeeeet.

Id give your Browns an A+ easy.

They lucked out to get Manziel that late but that made the 1st pick of Justin Gilbert (who was the Top CB on the board and now pairs up with Joe Haden to form a deadly duo) a smarter pick in hind-sight.

Manziel now gets to throw to a Top 5 WR (Josh Gordon) and a Top 5 TE (Jordan Cameron) and with Ben Tate in the backfield the Browns offense has some serious potential. Manziel will be in my Top 12 for fantasy QB's this year.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
I'll give my Giants a B

I was pleading for Zack Martin as the GMEN came up to the plate (since the OLine is garbage), but Odell Beckham aka ODB works for New York.
Hakeem Nicks is gone, so the Giants needed to find a new receiver to help Eli Manning.
Beckham was the best receiver available by a wide margin, and some even considered him to be a better prospect than Mike Evans.
Beckham gives Manning a great downfield threat and a dynamic weapon in the return game.

As far as TODAY, the GMEN need to address OL and LB immediately

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
My absolute favorite pick of the whole draft was Khalil Mack to the Raiders... I personally would have taken Mack #1 overall.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
can these kids even play against real talent?

I'll let you know my draft impressions after this next football season is over.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I'm giving the Browns a good grade, the offense predictably needs a shot in the arm but it's best to keep that defense locked and loaded so that it can keep the offense close enough that they can still try and eke out wins. I'm a big believer of defense over offense, even as the NFL seems to be headed for offense heavy teams for the future.
Big ups to them for not wasting the 4 pick on Johnny Football, they got their man and didn't have to reach for him. Kudos to Browns Front Office there

I'm gonna give my Bears a tentative C+ for Fuller. The defense last year was SO fucking bad, it's hard for me to say there was any one position that could've or should've taken precedence over the others. Today I'm expecting them to pick up at least one safety, a defensive lineman and an interior linebacker, and if the chance arises, a big tight end.

THTB

They lucked out to get Manziel that late but that made the 1st pick of Justin Gilbert (who was the Top CB on the board and now pairs up with Joe Haden to form a deadly duo) a smarter pick in hind-sight.

Manziel now gets to throw to a Top 5 WR (Josh Gordon) and a Top 5 TE (Jordan Cameron) and with Ben Tate in the backfield the Browns offense has some serious potential. Manziel will be in my Top 12 for fantasy QB's this year.
Yeah, it makes a lot more sense. I'm probably downplaying these picks hard as fuck lol.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
can these kids even play against real talent?

I'll let you know my draft impressions after this next football season is over.
To that end, I'm still not impressed with Clowney to be perfectly frank. Feel like he's gotten legend status just for that one hit against Michigan. There are tons of physical freaks but if you aren't mentally there in terms of work ethic and focus, you'll bust. It'll be interesting to see what he does

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast

Depends if Johnny starts, I'd like to see them hand the ball to Hoyer and give him one more chance. That guy looked the best of any Browns QB I've seen since Derek Anderson's flukey season when they made the playoffs in 07 or so lol

I think some guys are more ready to hop in the fire, and IMO Johnny could benefit a bit more from learning on the sideline, at least early on

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I"m more interested to see how the defensive players fair.
They usually DO make an impact their first year.

I just don't expect ANY of the QB's to do anything at all....... and there are so many WR's that i'm not sure who will actually get a chance to stand out. I mean Watkins is going to have a really bad QB tossing him the rock. Along with the fact that he is no longer going to simply "out athlete" a CB to get a football.

Clowney is kinda like Su. He needs JJ Watt to say "son..... we are going to crush people. But your'e going to have to follow me everywhere I go and do everything I do. There will be no partying. There will only be work. When we combine to avg 8 sacks a game, then you can throw a birthday party."

Its nice to project all these things. But we don't know how these guys "really" are personality wise, and how they will mesh with other players and such.
Can you imagine how Gordon would of felt had Clev. selected Watkins? Probably pissed off. He just came into his own (with crappy qb play) and now they want to basically limit what i've done? Ya never know.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
Depends if Johnny starts, I'd like to see them hand the ball to Hoyer and give him one more chance. That guy looked the best of any Browns QB I've seen since Derek Anderson's flukey season when they made the playoffs in 07 or so lol

I think some guys are more ready to hop in the fire, and IMO Johnny could benefit a bit more from learning on the sideline, at least early on

I kinda liked Hoyer too but I cant possibly see him starting over Manziel Week 1. Hoyer is a solid backup at best at this level imo. Manziel has a huge ceiling ESPECIALLY if the Browns build the offense around him and not the other way around.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
I"m more interested to see how the defensive players fair.
They usually DO make an impact their first year.

I just don't expect ANY of the QB's to do anything at all....... and there are so many WR's that i'm not sure who will actually get a chance to stand out. I mean Watkins is going to have a really bad QB tossing him the rock. Along with the fact that he is no longer going to simply "out athlete" a CB to get a football.

Clowney is kinda like Su. He needs JJ Watt to say "son..... we are going to crush people. But your'e going to have to follow me everywhere I go and do everything I do. There will be no partying. There will only be work. When we combine to avg 8 sacks a game, then you can throw a birthday party."

Its nice to project all these things. But we don't know how these guys "really" are personality wise, and how they will mesh with other players and such.
Can you imagine how Gordon would of felt had Clev. selected Watkins? Probably pissed off. He just came into his own (with crappy qb play) and now they want to basically limit what i've done? Ya never know.
Ej Manuel isnt that bad at all.. I like his ceiling (was hurt A LOT last year).

Clowney can be a beast if he tries hard (lets see how tha pans out after probably falling into 40+ million now).

Gordon woulda not minded Watkins much (to alleviate the double teams he always sees)

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I kinda liked Hoyer too but I cant possibly see him starting over Manziel Week 1. Hoyer is a solid backup at best at this level imo. Manziel has a huge ceiling ESPECIALLY if the Browns build the offense around him and not the other way around.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Manziel is basically RGIII but smaller, slower.

Yes they are comparable..... in every aspect. Do you think Manziel is even CLOSE to the player that RGIII was his first year? Me either.

My Giants are continuing to dig themselves a hole.

Everytime Eli won a bowl, he got more expensive. He costs so much, it's like we HAVE to spend all our money on receivers just to justify the amount of money we spend on the guy throwing the ball (mostly to the players on the other team)

Peyton Hillis is stupidly underrated. 3.4 yards average last season. That's the magic number.

The Giants passing game has less to do with how good our receivers are than we think. It's not a coincidence that as our run game deteriorated, so did our passing game. Eli can't throw for shit when he the throw needs to get a specific amount of yards. He needs options. 3rd and 10 means you don't have passing options. 3rd and 7 means you have all the passing options in the world. We were at 3rd and 10 despicably too much last season, and that was the problem.

We hold a dumb double-standard for our running game that makes us over-rely on Eli.

Oh, David Wilson fumbled the ball a couple times? Well let's never run the ball, even on 3rd and 2 ever again. But if Eli throws 3 interceptions in a game, WELL THAT'S OK.

We didn't need receivers, we need OFFENSIVE LINEMEN. High-quality line for a better run game. We can run enough with Hillis, and Jennings- but they need an o-line that can actually block for a run, instead of just giving Eli enough protection to decide which player on the other team he wants to throw the ball to.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
We'll have to see what the front office has in store, I hope if he does start immediately he doesn't get killed lol

Vagrant

Noob
My bears, although temporarily set at CB right now with Jennings and Tillman, still took the best possible defensive back available. I like the pick and more than that I trust Phil Emery, who everyone laughed at when he drafted Alshon Jeffrey in the 2nd round of the 2012 draft.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I hated both Cleveland picks...passing up on Watkins is a huge mistake...and do not get me started on Manziel. He is going to be a bill, i'm calling it right now.

THTB

My Giants are continuing to dig themselves a hole.

Everytime Eli won a bowl, he got more expensive. He costs so much, it's like we HAVE to spend all our money on receivers just to justify the amount of money we spend on the guy throwing the ball (mostly to the players on the other team)

Peyton Hillis is stupidly underrated. 3.4 yards average last season. That's the magic number.

The Giants passing game has less to do with how good our receivers are than we think. It's not a coincidence that as our run game deteriorated, so did our passing game. Eli can't throw for shit when he the throw needs to get a specific amount of yards. He needs options. 3rd and 10 means you don't have passing options. 3rd and 7 means you have all the passing options in the world. We were at 3rd and 10 despicably too much last season, and that was the problem.

We hold a dumb double-standard for our running game that makes us over-rely on Eli.

Oh, David Wilson fumbled the ball a couple times? Well let's never run the ball, even on 3rd and 2 ever again. But if Eli throws 3 interceptions in a game, WELL THAT'S OK.

We didn't need receivers, we need OFFENSIVE LINEMEN. High-quality line for a better run game. We can run enough with Hillis, and Jennings- but they need an o-line that can actually block for a run, instead of just giving Eli enough protection to decide which player on the other team he wants to throw the ball to.
That was our issue when we had Hillis. No line to really back him the way he should have been. Granted, our team back then had other problems on top of that, too, and he was hurt quite a bit.

THTB

I hated both Cleveland picks...passing up on Watkins is a huge mistake...and do not get me started on Manziel. He is going to be a bill, i'm calling it right now.
Watkins would've been fire, but bolstering our secondary wasn't a bad move in hindsight. That was the top CB in the draft. Given a couple years learning from Haden, basically we'll possibly see people saying "Good luck fucking with those corners..."

I would've taken Bridgewater over Manziel, tbh, but that's just me. At least this time we didn't play stupid and pick the Couch or Weeden of the draft.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I am pissed the Eagles didn't get a safety since HaHa went off the board right before them. I don't really know much about Marcus Smith so I guess we will have to see. Eagles need a ton of help on defense so I am alright if they think he is going to be a solid 3-4 OLB.

I think the Browns far and away had the best draft of the night. You get a potential franchise QB late in the first round, the top corner in the draft which has always been a big hole for them since Joe Haden can only cover one half of the field at a time...and acquire a probable high pick in next year's draft from Buffalo who are idiots to have given up what they did for Watkins in a receiver heavy draft...That is the type of move you make when you are a player away from going deep into the playoffs and the Bills are not that team. Mortgaging the future when you have no present is really dangerous. The Browns are setting themselves up pretty well actually IMO. It would have been cool to see them make a splash and draft Watkins and still get Manziel later, but I still think this move is good for the now as well.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
The Browns move put their Defense in the top 5 conversation. It already was top 10 last year, and now with Manziel, they have the potential to be a wildcard team this year. People from my school (A&M) are bitching about him going to Clevland but they don't realize, with Hoyer they were beating decent teams. I'd like to see Hoyer the Destroyer start first to see if the ACL affected him at all, and if he sucks, throw in Manziel. It'll be interesting, this draft class has so much talent.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Manziel is basically RGIII but smaller, slower.

Yes they are comparable..... in every aspect. Do you think Manziel is even CLOSE to the player that RGIII was his first year? Me either.
Manziel is way quicker than RGIII ever was. RGIII had a faster top speed yes, but their lateral movement isn't even comparable. We will see what happens, people need to stop judging Manziel when they haven't even watched half of his games.