What's new

Tech Finishing combos with 123 xx

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
I made a brief post on this earlier, but I'm going to repost and expand a bit, as well as make a video in the next day or so.

Zod's 123 string sets a hard knock down and the 3rd hit can be cancelled into any special. What this means is you can Wraith Summon safely, pushing the opponent a third of the screen away, with you at plus frames. From here, you can MB Ground Blast and the only way out is by jumping on wake up or using an advancing wake up attack like Doomsday Venom or Superman Flying Punch. If they jump, you have Wraith out and can slap them out of the air on reaction.

Expanding on the setup to MB DB2, if they block low, Wraith Slash them 3 times during the block stun of MB DB2. Wraith will recover from the third slash just as the final hit of MB DB2 hits their block, keeping you at +15, dealing about 10% in chip damage with you at fullscreen. Their vision will also be obscured by the smoke from MB Ground Blast, and you can Wraith Grab to end the string overhead, or Far Ground Laser again to end low.

For no additional meter, from a raw MB Ground Blast:
MB Ground Blast, Wraith Slash x 3, Wraith Grab, Full Charge Ground Blast, B3, J3, 3 xx Zod Charge: 51%

You can raw Wraith Grab overhead, but you can't do it as soon as they wake up, so they will be able to escape, but with your Wraith keeping them in check.

I honestly think ending on 123 xx Wraith Summon is going to be as integral to Zod as it is to Green Arrow ending his combos with 33 xx Freeze Arrow.

EDIT:
Ending with D12 sets the same spacing, and is also a hard knockdown (why, I don't know) so a hit confirm of 112 1+3, dash, D12 will now give you an option into this set up. Also just checking them with D12 xx Wraith on hit will push them into the Wraith Trap.

Ending 112 1+3 with D1 xx Trait it also sets a hard knockdown, but this time within ambiguous J3 territory with trait as back up. Alternatively, you can set up your pressure from in front, with trait as back up. 112 can easily be hit confirmed into the throw on hit, or you can end the string with 112 and be at plus frames on block.

Discuss.

Props to RizRaz for the Full Charge Ground Blast combo extended in the Wraith Trap.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
I thought this too but didn't know how viable it was lol it seems nice
Well I caught some friends with 123 xx Wraith into MB Laser for 48% and was met with "WTF just happened to my health bar?"

It's more the fear of reacting to any little twitch with a Wraith Slash. And I like that Zod's set ups are built on fear.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Yeah I was thinking about this combo ender aswell. I think it'll be his best ender.

If the wraith hits overhead and the laser hits low then isnt it technicaly an unblockable setup?

my only thing is what to do after the trait is in cooldown. unlike GA zods trait tales forever in a day to comeback again so this setup cant be done repeatidly. dont get me wrong i love it but what am i to do when im waiting for my trait again?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yeah I was thinking about this combo ender aswell. I think it'll be his best ender.

If the wraith hits overhead and the laser hits low then isnt it technicaly an unblockable setup?
You cannot perform the bite and the laser at the same time. The bite is also full screen punishable by some characters.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
You cannot perform the bite and the laser at the same time. The bite is also full screen punishable by some characters.

Anything cool that you imagined you could do with his trait, you just cant do. It's lame.

Trait just wants 4 seconds of Tickle Time and Bear Hugs.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Anything cool that you imagined you could do with his trait, you just cant do. It's lame.

Trait just wants 4 seconds of Tickle Time and Bear Hugs.
Well, NRS will not allow any character to have easy unblockable set ups.

Aside from the start up, the trait is fine in my opinion. It allows him to set up his rush down game or reestablish his zoning game.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Well, NRS will not allow any character to have easy unblockable set ups.

Aside from the start up, the trait is fine in my opinion. It allows him to set up his rush down game or reestablish his zoning game.

I think you're right. It's kind of his..."gimme a second to take a breath" move. haha.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
On the Wraith Slash x 3, when you do the third hit are they in the air yet? And when you do the Wraith grab, where are they?

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
On the Wraith Slash x 3, when you do the third hit are they in the air yet? And when you do the Wraith grab, where are they?
First 2 Wraith Slashes are while they are being hit by MB Ground Blast, the third is on the way down from the pop up from MB GB, then you Wraith grab them at that juggle point. If you're going for max damage, make sure you wait for the Wraith to finish all his attacks and throw the opponent to you before you hit them with B3, he disappears as soon as you make contact even if it's during his bite animation.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
First 2 Wraith Slashes are while they are being hit by MB Ground Blast, the third is on the way down from the pop up from MB GB, then you Wraith grab them at that juggle point. If you're going for max damage, make sure you wait for the Wraith to finish all his attacks and throw the opponent to you before you hit them with B3, he disappears as soon as you make contact even if it's during his bite animation.
Alright, thanks, got the 3 slashes. I'm doing B23, B23, 123 to set it up:
B23, B23, 123 (23%), summon wraith, MB ground blast, wraith slash x 3, wraith grab, b3, j3, 112 (or 3), Zod Charge MB (49%) = 72% damage, 2 bar and trait.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Alright, thanks, got the 3 slashes. I'm doing B23, B23, with 123 as the ender to set up the trait with the hard knockdown, 71% with 3 slashes. And it's not too difficult either. Very nice.
And for a zoner to get that life lead and only lose a bar in the process is a pretty big deal. When Zod gets the life lead, you're in trouble. And all he needs is an MB Ground Blast to re-establish zoning.

Also, the 123 xx Wraith MB GB set up cannot be push blocked, and both MB GB and Wraith Grab are unclashable. Wraith Slash can be clashed.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
And for a zoner to get that life lead and only lose a bar in the process is a pretty big deal. When Zod gets the life lead, you're in trouble. And all he needs is an MB Ground Blast to re-establish zoning.

Also, the 123 xx Wraith MB GB set up cannot be push blocked, and both MB GB and Wraith Grab are unclashable. Wraith Slash can be clashed.

Yeah, Zod's looking pretty strong.

Very nice find you have here.

ReZo

MKX
Just a question. The main combo's I am doing with Zod are the ones I feel are the most practical/most damaging.

F21, MB Ground Laser, J3, F213 xx Zod Charge and the other is the exact same thing except with a 112 starter. Both deal 40%, 41% respectively.

My question is this, From these two combo's, Ending them with 123 doesn't work 80% of the time due to spacing issues. So, What combo's are you guys using that you can end with 123?

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
You can do b23 d12 trait and get it to, so that way its a mid starter(b23) instead of a high(112), don't know if that matters.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Just a question. The main combo's I am doing with Zod are the ones I feel are the most practical/most damaging.

F21, MB Ground Laser, J3, F213 xx Zod Charge and the other is the exact same thing except with a 112 starter. Both deal 40%, 41% respectively.

My question is this, From these two combo's, Ending them with 123 doesn't work 80% of the time due to spacing issues. So, What combo's are you guys using that you can end with 123?
I'm using anything to MB GB, dash, B23, 123 xx. J3 does 11% and B23 does 10% so you barely lose damage. Keep in mind that if you're intending on ending a combo in 123 instead of a finishing with a special, you will have unused juggle points. Leaves more to be explored to specifically get the optimal damage for the set up. Also, ending juggle combos with D12 gets the same spacing and hard knockdown as 123.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane

Yea, I can't hit the 123 after the combo either. I don't really want to sacrifice that damage for 123. You can end with F213 and have the same setup with a far MB ground blast.