What's new

Breakthrough - Kano FINALLY, The Kano Community Speaks Up. Save Kano's Relevance With Needed Fixes And Reasonable Buffs

Death

Noob
Ex upball did do something, it gave us false hope. On paper it looks like an improvement yes, but in game it's one of the biggest bills we have gotten from NRS patch history. As SaltShaker stated, it's safety is nullified by something as simple as crouch blocking. Do your homework bud.
I don't mean current lifespan, I mean future lifespan. He's type of character people say is good who don't main him without ever actually been good, or without ever being picked up by most Top players for that exact reason.

As far as EX Upball goes, just crouch block without stepping on his foot. Full combo punish. In theory it's good, in practice it isn't.
Listen guys. I'm not in the business of selling bills. I am new to the character and labbing and I guess in a sense being a theoretician but crouch blocking the ex upball is a bit of a downplay. You cant really do that on reaction when your pressure him on the knockdown. Its still a pretty good buff and an option to use. He also has an Ex launcher with armor which imo having an armored launcher to use on a wake up is pretty good and will probably be very important thing to have as the meta evolves.

He has pretty good normals, His F2 is a lot like Jax and hes neutral on a lot of strings. Not to mention great pokes and good backdash, great damage, great zoning in knives for keepaway and also can be used to get in. Good set ups with damage buff on knockdown in the corner after ball. Most importantly good armored wake ups and an armored launcher. What is he missing?? To me he reminds me a lot of Cage in MK9 where you had to have very strong fundamentals and footsies to make him work at high levels. I just recently picked him and want to see how he is.

I just came on the kano boards for some cutthroat strats but its depressing here. :coffee:

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
if you wanted to talk cutthroat, why not go to the cutthroat thread to talk about it? I'm always down to throw my $0.02, rather than doom and gloom in the official doom and gloom containment center.

ando1184

Noob
Listen guys. I'm not in the business of selling bills. I am new to the character and labbing and I guess in a sense being a theoretician but crouch blocking the ex upball is a bit of a downplay. You cant really do that on reaction when your pressure him on the knockdown. Its still a pretty good buff and an option to use. He also has an Ex launcher with armor which imo having an armored launcher to use on a wake up is pretty good and will probably be very important thing to have as the meta evolves.

He has pretty good normals, His F2 is a lot like Jax and hes neutral on a lot of strings. Not to mention great pokes and good backdash, great damage, great zoning in knives for keepaway and also can be used to get in. Good set ups with damage buff on knockdown in the corner after ball. Most importantly good armored wake ups and an armored launcher. What is he missing?? To me he reminds me a lot of Cage in MK9 where you had to have very strong fundamentals and footsies to make him work at high levels. I just recently picked him and want to see how he is.

I just came on the kano boards for some cutthroat strats but its depressing here. :coffee:
You wanted to talk cutthroat strat in a buff thread? Dude you don't have to defend yourself man, We just wanna inform ya that the buffs he received aren't the best they could have been. I've even had ex upball whiff vs standing opponents as well. It's just not what they intended I'm sure. Like a lot of things in kanos game, he's got some bugs they need to work out.

Death

Noob
You wanted to talk cutthroat strat in a buff thread? Dude you don't have to defend yourself man, We just wanna inform ya that the buffs he received aren't the best they could have been. I've even had ex upball whiff vs standing opponents as well. It's just not what they intended I'm sure. Like a lot of things in kanos game, he's got some bugs they need to work out.
Character problem or operator problem?

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I'm not running into any problems with EX up ball yet . I use it as a guaranteed get off me if they're hitting buttons on my Oki . Works well enough for that and if they block is safe enough now

LOCO

DADDY BARAKA
so... this last patch was really just a quick fix mainly adressing tanya, don't take it as an actual patch
I wouldn't expect them to do a true patch until after the tournaments anyways, I trust NRS to observe patiently to try and "minimize" any fuck ups
I think this "fix" was more of a oh shit button to prevent unfavorable brackets
tanya vs tanya
tanya vs tanya
tanya vs e/b
tanya vs... yea u get my point

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Not really a downplay when it's being sold as a "get off the ground for free" Bill. Examples.

In knockdown/WU situations it is nearly useless. You might as well EX Ball cancel for the full combo than EX Upball. There's absolutely no reward in comparison. Now if they are hesitating on their pressure in an attempt to bait/punish armor, then there's still no point since in this situation they will be crouch blocking all of your options a leg away. In this scenario, still risk EX Kano Cancel because you'd be full combo punished either way. So in KD/WU situations, EX Kano Ball Cancels are superior in every way.

For pressure or string safety, why use EX Upball when you can use EX Knives on strings that jail for +frames and continue pressure or EX Knives after any string in Cyber for more pressure/advantage? These options are far superior for 1 bar on block than EX Upball. When interrupting strings why wouldn't you use Ball Cancel? Far superior option.

EX Upball buff was a slap in the face to what he actually needs. Almost seemed like a purposely made insult.

Now Kano talk, yes his dashes are amazing, his corner game in Cutthroat is amazing (as long as you B1 doesn't whiff on crouch blockers randomly), F2 is good. I agree. But some stuff like having "great zoning" I strongly disagree. Quan Chi, Shinnok, Kenshi, Tanya, well pretty much every zoning character in the game has better zoning and the ones that don't have options to shut his zoning down more than the others. But to the most important question, "what is he missing?". Best question asked in the thread.

-An actual OH since Cutt B1 is so bad that it probably shouldn't even count.
-Mixups as either a starter or inside of his strings. Any type of mixups. Is Kano literally the only character in the entire game that has variations with no 50/50 starter andddd NO OH or Lows in anyyyy of his strings? I think so. Possibly the worst mixup potential in the game.
-Actual follow ups from his plus frames. No point in EX Knives being plus on block, but so low a plus that Kung Jin armors your follow up for near 40% in Cyber, or using a bar for pressure on block in Cutt but your 50/50 can't even reach the opponent. Everyone else has enough +frames and range for full follow ups after they spend a bar, why not Kano?
-Priority. I've yelled this so much that I can't anymore. My grandma can hit him out of all his specials, EX Specials, and half his normals.
-Damage. Outside of Cutthroat. My grandma also hits harder than him.
-Etc.

Considering the way MKX has to be played to maximize results, the things he "doesn't" have are magnified and are in part why he isn't that good at all but may appear to be better than what he really is.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Ok, so I wanna revise what I said Kano needs (Kommando)

I STILL want all the bug/glitches fixed. That's a no brainer, and I still want more ticks, or I want to cancel EX Kano Ball with just Run. No down, down, forward, forward, block nonsense. Just make it clean and crisp. I'm drunk while writing this, because of America's birthday, but I honestly I think this is a no brainer, and lame that it's not like a universal special run cancel. I think making it that, will add consistency to Kommando's game play (mine especially).

Happy 4th everyone

Ok, so I wanna revise what I said Kano needs (Kommando)

I STILL want all the bug/glitches fixed. That's a no brainer, and I still want more ticks, or I want to cancel EX Kano Ball with just Run. No down, down, forward, forward, block nonsense. Just make it clean and crisp. I'm drunk while writing this, because of America's birthday, but I honestly I think this is a no brainer, and lame that it's not like a universal special run cancel. I think making it that, will add consistency to Kommando's game play (mine especially).

Happy 4th everyone
i prefer cancelling in place cause its no risk for you.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
So, I think I just had a horrible idea for kano, but the mental picture of it is fascinating enough for me to make mention of it in the thread. EX up ball being cancelable into air ball(which again could be MB for the grab) on hit.

Error

DF2+R2
So, I think I just had a horrible idea for kano, but the mental picture of it is fascinating enough for me to make mention of it in the thread. EX up ball being cancelable into air ball(which again could be MB for the grab) on hit.
New 3 bar combo: ex kano ball cancel dash ex upball cancel airbal mb.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
-Mixups as either a starter or inside of his strings. Any type of mixups. Is Kano literally the only character in the entire game that has variations with no 50/50 starter andddd NO OH or Lows in anyyyy of his strings? I think so. Possibly the worst mixup potential in the game.
I think you're forgetting that mixups are more than just overhead/lows. This point is null considering the obvious OH/L in Cutthroat, the Cybernetic 'mixups' I've been over a million times which are being blatantly ignored by this point or the tick throw mixups in Commando.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I think you're forgetting that mixups are more than just overhead/lows. This point is null considering the obvious OH/L in Cutthroat, the Cybernetic 'mixups' I've been over a million times which are being blatantly ignored by this point or the tick throw mixups in Commando.
Definitely not forgetting. Some characters have strong mixups that don't involve the OH/Low 50/50, it's just that Kano isn't one of them. On paper or in theory he should have good non OH/Low types of mixups, but in practice he doesn't. Look at the gameplay of MKX, then look at the characters in MKX, then look at Kano's mixup game. As far as mixups are concerned, he's likely Bottom 3 attempting not to be the worst. I can't think of 3 characters with worse mixup games than Kano.