What's new

Favourite Hip Hop Albums of all Time/Must listen

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Big sucker for Canadian rap while this guy is no where near my favorite but he always has great beats and has fun doing it. How can you not like a man with a album cover like this

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Not even.
lllmatic is a classic strong lyrics and the beats, even though some of them sound dated, are a picture perfect reflection of New York City in the mid-90s, but it's not the top album.

Russell Simmons didn't even sign Nas early on because he thought Nas sounded too much like Kool G Rap during an era when it was CRIMINAL to sound like another rapper unlike today.
Illmatic wouldn’t sell, it took years for Illmatic to hit platinum. Keep in mind, album sales isn't everything; if it was, 50 cent would be top 3.
My favorite albums didn’t sell too well, so don’t even try labeling me as superficial. Illmatic failed to live up to expectations in sales based on media hype, and the album wasn’t the threat or the answer to the dominance of West Coast Hip-Hop at the time

Ready to Die was the answer to the West Coast. Notorious BIG was the champion NYC needed and Nas didn't have enough power to hold down the NYC like BIG did.

Ready to Die was more powerful because the album was not only commercially appealing, but hardcore enough to please the die hard rap fan. Biggie kept it street and still sold records without being accused of a "sell out" regardless of heads gettin' on his case for designer clothes and champagne name drops. Illmatic failed to appeal to a wider audience unlike Ready to Die. Ready to Die was transcendent (groundbreaking) and appealed to people who might not listen to rap music.

Biggie was one of the main reasons why Nas flipped his style when he released his sophomore album It Was Written, in my opinion his best album to date ...but Illmatic fans hate "It Was Written" because apparently it was too commercial driven. Mainstream rap fans need to learn why and how underground MCs are more respected for their craft, and the underground rap fans needs to learn why and how the mainstream is able to touch a larger audience.

Shout out to Big Pun, Cuban Link, DMX, Wu-Tang, Jeru the Damaja, Black Moon, Smiff n Wessun, The Roots, Redman, and Mobb Deep. They also had a hand in the resurrection of the East. Biggie didn’t do it alone, but he was the front man of the movement. Nas wasn't.
Lol that's way too much TL;DR for a claim trying to somehow link mass appeal with quality. Biggie was the front man for the east the same way Pac was for the west, and neither one put out a single album as great as Illmatic. I won't continue to argue the point since it's subjective anyway, but for as good as Ready to Die was overall, I'll take 40 flawless minutes over 70 not really quite flawless minutes at all myself.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Pretty good albums people have mentioned already.

My top 10 of all time:
Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Death Grips - The Money Store
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
Kanye West - MBDTF
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus

Just listened to RTJ2 today. Pretty damn good. Shabazz Palace's new release and clipping's are 2 other really good albums to come out this year.

Was anybody else one of those "rap is crap" kids growing up but then realized how wrong they were when they explored hip hop?
I love you for mentioning cLOUDDEAD even if considering it rap is bit of a stretch lol.

I love you for mentioning cLOUDDEAD even if considering it rap is bit of a stretch lol.
Haha yeah it's definitely not your standard hip hop album. It's so good though - don't know how many times I've listened through it.

Also New England has some rappers here and there. Apathy from CT released this album this year:

Sticky Fingaz, Black trash

sticky fingaz (from Onyx) released a debut album that was an amazing satire/alternative perspective of the ghetto culture thats normally glamoured up by the industry.

My favorite song is probably "state vs kirk jones" but to get a real feel for the album, I suggest listening to it in order for the story it tells.

And if you feel like a lighter track with a more comedic approach, listen to "what if I was white" featuring eminem

Last edited:

NKZero

Noob
Lol that's way too much TL;DR for a claim trying to somehow link mass appeal with quality. Biggie was the front man for the east the same way Pac was for the west, and neither one put out a single album as great as Illmatic. I won't continue to argue the point since it's subjective anyway, but for as good as Ready to Die was overall, I'll take 40 flawless minutes over 70 not really quite flawless minutes at all myself.
It's very difficult for an album of 15+ tracks to have all/nearly all of them being 5/5 star tracks. That's why Capital Punishment (Big Pun) didn't make it into my top 10....had some amazing tracks but also maybe 3 fairly poor ones and one or two average ones. I think Tupac's All Eyez on Me had the potential to be his best album but it's two-sided disc totalling 28 tracks and a lot of it is filler/party music. Some of my favourite songs on there though like 'Only God Can Judge Me' and 'Skandalouz'.

haketh

Noob
The Party Tracks on All Eyez on Me are top notch, you cannot hate on Whats Ya Phone Number or something like Check out Time. Perfect tracks for when you're throwing a house party.

1.Enter the Wu-Tang 36 chambers - Should be on every hiphop head's top 5. Fave track- Cream
2. Illmatic(Nas) - Too lyrical. Fave track - Life's a Bitch
3. Reasonable Doubt(Jay-z) - Masterpiece by jay z. This album changed how I felt about him Fave Track- Regrets
4. Liquid Swords(GZA) - GZA is a wizard. Fave Track - Shadowboxin
5. Wu-Tang Forever - Fave Track - Triumph
6. The Infamous(Mobb Deep) - Fave track- Survival of the Fittest
7. It Was Written(Nas) - Fave Track - The Message
8. The Predator(Ice Cube) - Fave Track - It was a Good Day
9. Moment of Truth(Gang Starr) - Fave track - Moment of Truth or
10. Its Dark and Hell Is Hot(DMX) - Fave track - How's it going down

haketh

Noob
Like yo when your throwing a banger this is what your gonna want

This is some excellent shit right here

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
1. ThaCarter 2
2. King
3. Thug Motivation 101
4. Get Rich Or Die Trying
5. Reasonable Doubt
6. Thank Me Later
7. Straight Outta Ca$hville
8. Beg For Mercy
9. The Marshall Mather LP
10. 400 Degreez

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Biggie was one of the main reasons why Nas flipped his style when he released his sophomore album It Was Written, in my opinion his best album to date.
So you're one of THOSE people who like It Was Written better than Illmatic...

Illmatic is the best solo hip hop album of all time. It Was Written is not even top 50. Illmatic changed everything. It had 2 of the best producers (Primo and Pete Rock) in their prime and an MC that had a flow and intelligence that hadn't been heard since Rakim. Nas wasn't preachy though, he just told stories and told you about his lifestyle, which was real - not some fake gangsta shit. Illmatic was short, but it was cohesive. It felt like a album. It Was Written feels like a bunch of random tracks thrown together. There was a lot of filler on there too. Nas sounds confused on that album. It was like he didn't know if he wanted to be gangsta or hip hop. His flow suddenly became simplified and all the great lyrics and rhyming patterns were gone. The beats were lacking as well. There was almost no sampling, no soul, no grit. To put it simply, it was one of the most dissapointing sophomore albums of all time.

Last edited:

NKZero

Noob
The Party Tracks on All Eyez on Me are top notch, you cannot hate on Whats Ya Phone Number or something like Check out Time. Perfect tracks for when you're throwing a house party.
Hmm hit and miss for me in terms of some songs. Just wasn't a complete album imo but plenty of good stuff on there. The production was very good I'll give you that. I just think it's probably his 3rd best album after MATW and 7 Day Theory. That isn't to discard 2Pacalypse Now which was pretty good. He was a raw spitter back then lol...

NKZero

Noob
1.Enter the Wu-Tang 36 chambers - Should be on every hiphop head's top 5. Fave track- Cream
2. Illmatic(Nas) - Too lyrical. Fave track - Life's a Bitch
3. Reasonable Doubt(Jay-z) - Masterpiece by jay z. This album changed how I felt about him Fave Track- Regrets
4. Liquid Swords(GZA) - GZA is a wizard. Fave Track - Shadowboxin
5. Wu-Tang Forever - Fave Track - Triumph
6. The Infamous(Mobb Deep) - Fave track- Survival of the Fittest
7. It Was Written(Nas) - Fave Track - The Message
8. The Predator(Ice Cube) - Fave Track - It was a Good Day
9. Moment of Truth(Gang Starr) - Fave track - Moment of Truth or
10. Its Dark and Hell Is Hot(DMX) - Fave track - How's it going down
Meth, is that you?? :DOGE Where's Tical?

Great list. Personally not a fan of Jay-Z and was never big on Gang Starr but I respect Guru's rapping abilities and Premo's production so...

1) 90s
Eastcoast: GZA - Liquid Swords, OGC - Da Storm, Mobb Deep - The Infamous, Notorious BIG - Ready To Die, Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Nas - Illmatic, The Roots - Illadelph Halflife, AZ - Doe or Die, EPMD - Business Never Personal, Redman - Whut Thee Album.

Westcoast: NWA - Straight Outta Compton, South Central Cartel - 'N Gatz We Truss, Ras Kass - Soul On Ice, Lootpack - Soundpieces: Da Antidote, Ice Cube - Lethal Injection, Compton's Most Wanted - Music To Driveby, Lil Half Dead - The Dead Has Arisen, Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle, Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill, Da Lench Mob - Guerillas In Tha Mist.

South: Goodie Mob - Soul Food, Outkast - ATLiens, Kingpin Skinny Pimp - King Of Da Playaz Ball, Three-6 Mafia - Mystic Stylez, Koopsta Knicca - Da Devil's Playground, Tommy Wright III - On The Run, UGK - Too Hard To Swallow, Ganksta N.I.P - The South Park Psycho, Tom Skeemask - Solo Tape, Blackout - Dreamworld.

2) Modern: Schoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions, Pusha T - My Name Is My Name, Danny Brown - Old, A$AP Rocky - Long.Live.A$AP, Rick Ross - Teflon Don, The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity, Cam'ron - Killa Season, Jim Jones - Hustlers POME, Juelz Santana - What The Game's Been Missing, Kanye West - Yeezus.

3) Underground: Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain, Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein, Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus, Roc Marciano - Reloaded, Madvillain - Madvillainy, Melanin 9 - Magna Carta, Triple Darkness - Anathema, Gangrene - Vodka & Ayahuasca, Apollo Brown & Guilty Simpson - Dice Game, Blu - Good To Be Home.

4) 10 mostly ignorant modern rappers i enjoy: RVIDXR KLVN (also includes SpaceGhostPurrp's solo projects), Fredo Santana, Lil Durk, SD, Gino Marley, Waka Flocka Flame, Bosstop, Slim Dunkin, Lil Bibby, Lil Herb (last 2 are pretty lyrical compared to drill scene in general).

Those who think hip hop is dead are not looking hard enough, sites like rateyourmusic.com, ughh.com, thecoli.com may help you. Both underground and mainstream have a lot of decent rappers nowadays, and they are all very different.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.

3) Underground: Viktor Vaughn - Vaudeville Villain, Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein, Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus, Roc Marciano - Reloaded, Madvillain - Madvillainy, Melanin 9 - Magna Carta, Triple Darkness - Anathema, Gangrene - Vodka & Ayahuasca, Apollo Brown & Guilty Simpson - Dice Game, Blu - Good To Be Home.
Oh you like Triple Darkness? May I suggest Psychodrama, Snypaz, Crucial Conflict, EC Illa, MCG'Z, Da Smart, and Speed Knot Mobstaz?

Also, don't sleep on hiphopsite.com - I've ordered from them many times and never had any problems.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
It's very difficult for an album of 15+ tracks to have all/nearly all of them being 5/5 star tracks. That's why Capital Punishment (Big Pun) didn't make it into my top 10....had some amazing tracks but also maybe 3 fairly poor ones and one or two average ones. I think Tupac's All Eyez on Me had the potential to be his best album but it's two-sided disc totalling 28 tracks and a lot of it is filler/party music. Some of my favourite songs on there though like 'Only God Can Judge Me' and 'Skandalouz'.
Pun put out Capital Punishment during a time when the genre of hip-hop had come to a standstill. Classics were not being released with regularity anymore. Instead, mediocrity saturated the market, and records like Big Pun's were few and far between. What makes Capital Punishment so incredible is that, even if it was released during that period from 1992-96 where everything that dropped seemed to be dope, it still would have been one of the best projects of its time. That's how good this LP is. Big Pun establishes himself as one of the best rappers to ever do it here, and, in my opinion, in terms of pure rapping ability, he is the greatest of all-time, period. No one possesses his impeccable combination of skills, and absolutely no one can even come close to touching his masterful flow. Pun is one of those artists who doesn't even need a beat to sound good. He can put out an acapella album, and the result would still be enthralling. That is what separates the great rappers from the merely good ones, and that is what separates Big Pun from just about every other hip-hop artist in history. It's top 3 free.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
So you're one of THOSE people who like It Was Written better than Illmatic...

Illmatic is the best solo hip hop album of all time. It Was Written is not even top 50. Illmatic changed everything. It had 2 of the best producers (Primo and Pete Rock) in their prime and an MC that had a flow and intelligence that hadn't been heard since Rakim. Nas wasn't preachy though, he just told stories and told you about his lifestyle, which was real - not some fake gangsta shit. Illmatic was short, but it was cohesive. It felt like a album. It Was Written feels like a bunch of random tracks thrown together. There was a lot of filler on there too. Nas sounds confused on that album. It was like he didn't know if he wanted to be gangsta or hip hop. His flow suddenly became simplified and all the great lyrics and rhyming patterns were gone. The beats were lacking as well. There was almost no sampling, no soul, no grit. To put it simply, it was one of the most dissapointing sophomore albums of all time.
I'm tired of kids who are brain dead hip hop fans and can never critically think for once.
You wasn't listening to Illmatic when it came out. (Illmatic sold poorly on its initial release) and seeing as I was there I can say, with authority, that Illmatic is no better or worse that a slew of other records released at the time.
What rapper doesn't tell you about his life story? You don't even have an argument. That's like saying a FGC player who grinds games to get good...wtf? Niggas been saying their life story for years...lol

Big Daddy Kane, Rakim and KRS were already dropping heavy lyrical albums way before Illmatic, and Illmatic was never ground breaking Maybe for you're not familiar with those listed artists.

NY State of Mind, It Aint Hard to Tell, and The World Is Yours are the only songs people really bump from that album, so you hella overrated the album mindlessly. Illmatic is the rallying cry that all "real heads" use to proclaim their love of "real hip-hop". It has little to do with the actual album anymore and more to do with saying how great Illmatic is. It's taken on a life of it's own. Stay lame.

NKZero

Noob
Pun put out Capital Punishment during a time when the genre of hip-hop had come to a standstill. Classics were not being released with regularity anymore. Instead, mediocrity saturated the market, and records like Big Pun's were few and far between. What makes Capital Punishment so incredible is that, even if it was released during that period from 1992-96 where everything that dropped seemed to be dope, it still would have been one of the best projects of its time. That's how good this LP is. Big Pun establishes himself as one of the best rappers to ever do it here, and, in my opinion, in terms of pure rapping ability, he is the greatest of all-time, period. No one possesses his impeccable combination of skills, and absolutely no one can even come close to touching his masterful flow. Pun is one of those artists who doesn't even need a beat to sound good. He can put out an acapella album, and the result would still be enthralling. That is what separates the great rappers from the merely good ones, and that is what separates Big Pun from just about every other hip-hop artist in history. It's top 3 free.
I personally don't think he's the best but an argument can definitely be made for him though. Personally I would put ahead of him (on skill alone): GZA, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap and Nas definitely. He'd be in my top 10 on skill alone (but not overall). Lyrically, he's fantastic and the album is as well, if anything it's a slight on the production on some of the tracks on Capital Punishment more than anything, which I feel downgraded song quality. I liked his second album as well, albeit not as much. Was that an official album of his? I think it was released posthumously but I can't remember....sometime in 2000.

You make a good point about 92-96....literally everything that came out was fire! 1995 to me appears to be the best year with Liquid Swords, OB4CL, Me Against the World, LodPD, 4,5,6 etc. all coming out that year.

Oh you like Triple Darkness? May I suggest Psychodrama, Snypaz, Crucial Conflict, EC Illa, MCG'Z, Da Smart, and Speed Knot Mobstaz?
yes i also like other uk stuff like Giggs, Blade Brown and a lot of grime artists (but that's another topic). i will check out these artists you mentioned, only heard EC Illa.