What's new

Favourite Hip Hop Albums of all Time/Must listen

DWednesday

Undisputed #1 ScrubBot Worldwide.
My album that I recommend
1.Logic-Under Pressure
2.All Logic Mixtapes
Damn, this was going to be my post... :(
Although, Welcome to Forever is better than Under Pressure. :)

A few other mentions:
  • ROYALTY - Childish Gambino
  • Because the Internet - Childish Gambino
  • Acid Rap - Chance The Rapper
  • The Water(s) - Mick Jenkins
  • Broken Ankles - Freeway & Girl Talk
Lastly, anything slowed & throwed is my fucking jam.
That is all.

Last edited:

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
Plenty of great contemporary rap. We're actually kinda hitting a second golden age of hip hop.

Some of my favorites from the past couple years...

Danny Brown - XXX
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
Run the Jewels - Self-titled
Dopehead - Dopehead Muzik Vol. 1
Death Grips - The Money Store

Sage-Of-Light

Student of Nature
If it's not dead, it almost is lol. It just isn't comparable to the 90's. Subject matter and lyricism has gone out the window. Production may be more futuristic and developed but I find it has downgraded somehow by enveloping the lyrics themselves. The only decent hip hop you find is underground perhaps but the fact that hip hop has dropped out of the overall picture for the most part says a lot about the direction it's heading in.

Imo apart from Czarface which came out last year, the last very good hip-hop album I can think of (off top of my head) is Lupe Fiasco's the Cool in '07.

EDIT: and some K-Rino stuff but he's super underground lol, actively avoiding the fame.
Listen to slaughterhouse, crooked I, joell ortiz also members of slaughterhouse. horseshoe gang and one 2, west coast rap will never die and if you havent listened to them I highly recommend

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
These albums never get old IMO:

Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys
'93 to Infinity - Souls of Mischief
Midnight Marauders - A Tribe Called Quest
Blowout Comb - Digable Planets
De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead

Sage-Of-Light

Student of Nature
If it's not dead, it almost is lol. It just isn't comparable to the 90's. Subject matter and lyricism has gone out the window. Production may be more futuristic and developed but I find it has downgraded somehow by enveloping the lyrics themselves. The only decent hip hop you find is underground perhaps but the fact that hip hop has dropped out of the overall picture for the most part says a lot about the direction it's heading in.

Imo apart from Czarface which came out last year, the last very good hip-hop album I can think of (off top of my head) is Lupe Fiasco's the Cool in '07.

EDIT: and some K-Rino stuff but he's super underground lol, actively avoiding the fame.
I just uploaded my fav green lantern combos i do and i have put 2 tracks in this video from crooked and horse shoegang tell me what you think http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=5rxHyhZk5nM

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Run the Jewels - Self-titled
What the hell is wrong with you? Have you not heard Run the Jewels 2 yet? It blows their first album (and every other rap album that came out this year) out the fucking water. It's so good it's responsible for its own meme where the entire collective Internet spontaneously combusted upon listening to it. Check it out, bruh. (Also, Old is better than XXX.)

Yo, have you heard his Hot 97 "Grindin my Whole Life" freestyle for Rosenberg? So super godlike it ain't even funny.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
What the hell is wrong with you? Have you not heard Run the Jewels 2 yet? It blows their first album (and every other rap album that came out this year) out the fucking water. It's so good it's responsible for its own meme where the entire collective Internet spontaneously combusted upon listening to it. Check it out, bruh. (Also, Old is better than XXX.)
I actually haven't listened to 2 yet lol. I am planning on it.

In no way, shape, or form is Old better than XXX. Old is essentially XXX in reverse with a bunch of bad features, worse beats, less impact, and more twerking anthems.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
So hard to make list like these but i give it a shot.

1. Latryx - Latryx (lateef and lyrics born)
2. Aceyalone - Book of human language
3. Siah and Yeshua - DapoED
4. Nolto - Red all over\All over right here
5. Adverse - Way with words
6. Josh Martinez - Buck up Princess
7. Haiku D'Etat - Haiku D'Etat (Aceyalone, Micah 9 and ab rude)
8. Eydea & Abilities - The many faces of Oliver Hart
9. Louis Logic - Misery loves comedy
10. O.C - Word Life

I know I forgot some shit but i would be at this all day if I didn't make choices lol

Edit: Company Flow - 8 steps to perfection should be in my top but El P is a tool
Also best mix tape hands down is Dj premier - New York reality check

Last edited:

NKZero

Noob
So hard to make list like these but i give it a shot.

1. Latryx - Latryx (lateef and lyrics born)
2. Aceyalone - Book of human language
3. Siah and Yeshua - DapoED
4. Nolto - Red all over\All over right here
5. Adverse - Way with words
6. Josh Martinez - Buck up Princess
7. Haiku D'Etat - Haiku D'Etat (Aceyalone, Micah 9 and ab rude)
8. Eydea & Abilities - The many faces of Oliver Hart
9. Louis Logic - Misery loves comedy
10. O.C - Word Life

I know I forgot some shit but i would be at this all day if I didn't make choices lol
Damn is it bad I don't know any of these?? :oops:

Damn, this was going to be my post... :(
Although, Welcome to Forever is better than Under Pressure. :)

A few other mentions:
  • Acid Rap - Chance The Rapper
  • The Water(s) - Mick Jenkins
  • Broken Ankles - Freeway & Girl Talk
Lastly, anything slowed & throwed is my fucking jam.
That is all.
I like welcome to forever but I compared the songs I liked more on both album/mixtapes. My fav from welcome to forever is life is good.

Nipsey Hussle-(The Marahon) & (Crenshaw)
Big KRIT
MF DOOM
Curren$y
Hurt Everybody- (Underground & Unsigned artist out of Chicago, they are very good & I feel they are gonna blow in the near future, check out their music on SoundCloud or type in Supa BWE)

Pretty good albums people have mentioned already.

My top 10 of all time:
Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Death Grips - The Money Store
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
Kanye West - MBDTF
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus

Just listened to RTJ2 today. Pretty damn good. Shabazz Palace's new release and clipping's are 2 other really good albums to come out this year.

Was anybody else one of those "rap is crap" kids growing up but then realized how wrong they were when they explored hip hop?

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
Nas - Illmatic
(There are no 2nd & 3rd; Illmatic is life)

Not even.
lllmatic is a classic strong lyrics and the beats, even though some of them sound dated, are a picture perfect reflection of New York City in the mid-90s, but it's not the top album.

Russell Simmons didn't even sign Nas early on because he thought Nas sounded too much like Kool G Rap during an era when it was CRIMINAL to sound like another rapper unlike today.
Illmatic wouldn’t sell, it took years for Illmatic to hit platinum. Keep in mind, album sales isn't everything; if it was, 50 cent would be top 3.
My favorite albums didn’t sell too well, so don’t even try labeling me as superficial. Illmatic failed to live up to expectations in sales based on media hype, and the album wasn’t the threat or the answer to the dominance of West Coast Hip-Hop at the time

Ready to Die was the answer to the West Coast. Notorious BIG was the champion NYC needed and Nas didn't have enough power to hold down the NYC like BIG did.

Ready to Die was more powerful because the album was not only commercially appealing, but hardcore enough to please the die hard rap fan. Biggie kept it street and still sold records without being accused of a "sell out" regardless of heads gettin' on his case for designer clothes and champagne name drops. Illmatic failed to appeal to a wider audience unlike Ready to Die. Ready to Die was transcendent (groundbreaking) and appealed to people who might not listen to rap music.

Biggie was one of the main reasons why Nas flipped his style when he released his sophomore album It Was Written, in my opinion his best album to date ...but Illmatic fans hate "It Was Written" because apparently it was too commercial driven. Mainstream rap fans need to learn why and how underground MCs are more respected for their craft, and the underground rap fans needs to learn why and how the mainstream is able to touch a larger audience.

Shout out to Big Pun, Cuban Link, DMX, Wu-Tang, Jeru the Damaja, Black Moon, Smiff n Wessun, The Roots, Redman, and Mobb Deep. They also had a hand in the resurrection of the East. Biggie didn’t do it alone, but he was the front man of the movement. Nas wasn't.

BRUTALITY

Banned
the 3 kings:

Dizzee Rascal
Soulja Boy
Lil B 'The Basedgod'

honourable mention:

Danny Brown
Busta Rhymes
Snoop Dogg

NKZero

Noob
A few more I'm thinking of:

• Enta da Stage - Black Moon ('93)
  • Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Blackstar - Blackstar ('98)
  • Don Killuminati: the 7 Day Theory - Tupac ('96)
  • Apocalypse 91...the Enemy Strikes Black - Public Enemy ('91)
  • the Big Picture - Big L ('00)
  • Blackout! - Method Man & Redman ('99)
  • Bobby Digital in Stereo - RZA ('98)
  • Don't Sweat the Technique - Eric B. & Rakim ('92)
  • Fishscale - Ghostface Killah ('06)
  • Goodfellas - Showbiz & AG ('95)
  • Heist of the Century - La the Darkman ('98)
  • Hell on Earth - Mobb Deep ('96)
  • Illadelph Halflife- the Roots ('96)
  • It was Written - Nas ('96)
  • KRS-1 - KRS-1 ('95)
  • Masters of the Universe - Binary Star ('00)
  • No Said Date - Masta Killa ('04)
  • Mecca and the Soul Brother - Pete Rock & CL Smooth ('92)
  • the Predator - Ice Cube ('92)
  • Renaissance Child - Hell Razah ('07)
  • the Resurrection - Geto Boys ('96)
  • Resurrection - Twista ('94)
  • Return of the Funky Man - Lord Finesse ('91)
  • Roots of Evil - Kool G Rap ('98)
  • Straight Outta Compton - NWA ('88)
  • Wanted: Dead or Alive - Kool G Rap & DJ Polo ('90)
  • Words from the Genius - GZA ('91)
  • Wrath of the Math - Jeru the Damaja ('96)
  • X versus the World - Overlord X ('90)
  • 18th Letter - Rakim ('97)