What's new

Extremely frustrated by this game.. help?

I'm having trouble getting even decent at mk. Just hit the 24-hour milestone with smoke and I still lose 80% of my games. I know multiple combos for different situations, how to pressure my opponent on wakeup and get him to make a mistake so I can combo him again. I feel strong mentally, I know how I'm supposed to play my character, what to do against other characters, etc., but come game time I get virtually pooped on. It gets to the point where i'll have 5% health and I won't have even touched the guy, and he just sits fullscreen teabagging, waiting for me to do ANYTHING so he can breaker it and kill me, jump over my body about 6 times, then perform a fatality at the last possible moment as a big "fuck you." I'm usually an extremely quiet and docile person, and I almost threw my xbox controller through my TV about 5 minutes ago out of pure rage. I've never done anything like that before. How can I make this game fun again, and maybe not get utterly killed so much?

If anyone wants, I can try to record some games using my laptop webcam, however the quality is going to be absolutely horrible...

EDIT: A few matches here

Eight

I am the salt
I know how you feel, man.

I wish I knew how to stop feeling like that, but it's hard. Online is extremely frustrating and even more so when your opponent is an asshole.

I suggest sticking to playing against fellow TYMers. Most of us are pretty civil, win or lose.

Except me, I'm the saltiest person on planet Earth lol.

Eight

I am the salt
Haha, everyone in the TYM lobby is too good for me, too! At least I won't get BMed there i suppose.
lol I suppose that is true. TYM rooms tend to have annoyingly good inhabitants.

No way to get better except playing good players, though! Eventually you'll be the one handing out beat downs and not receiving them :)

Kombo

Noob
I read this and said to myself "Hmm, I don't remeber my username being FrothyOmen" same situation. lol

aj1701

Noob
Haha, everyone in the TYM lobby is too good for me, too! At least I won't get BMed there i suppose.
I'm not good either, but playing against these guys will help.

I find it calming though to know the other guy is more advanced, and for me it take the pressue off. I still try my hardest and try to learn what they're doing and try to figure out counters.

Its like, I know I'm going to lose, I've accepted it, and accepted that I simply must think about what I could have done differently that may have turned the tides.

But I hear you, its taking a long time to get to where I want to be.

TrickyNick

Weather Man
I'm having trouble getting even decent at mk. Just hit the 24-hour milestone with smoke and I still lose 80% of my games. I know multiple combos for different situations, how to pressure my opponent on wakeup and get him to make a mistake so I can combo him again. I feel strong mentally, I know how I'm supposed to play my character, what to do against other characters, etc.
If you have a good knowledge of these things I don't know why you are having trouble. What you just said is the most essential thing in MK. Maybe you need to practice on reading your opponent better. Or try a different character. I hate to say that because I beleive any character can be a good character but maybe smoke isn't for you. Ive tried multiply characters before I found Kabal and Noob. Maybe just practice with other characters so when you face them you are more aware of there possibilitys. Just don't give up on it man there is always room for improvement.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
if someone is beating me consistently and I can't figure out why, I ask them what they think I'm doing wrong. Half the time they give me a pointer and now and then you get the guy that'll hop on the mic and mentor you a bit. add me to xbl and if I see you on tonight I'd be more than happy to help.

if someone is beating me consistently and I can't figure out why, I ask them what they think I'm doing wrong. Half the time they give me a pointer and now and then you get the guy that'll hop on the mic and mentor you a bit. add me to xbl and if I see you on tonight I'd be more than happy to help.
Sounds good soonk, although it likely won't be tonight :)

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
You should go ahead and upload some of your match.
My guess is your losing because of presser. You just need to learn when to poke out of your opponents attacks and when to escape. Granted online can make this nearly impossible with the awful input delay. Knowing how to presser and how to escape it is one of the most important parts of this game. Blocking attacks build your opponents meter while you take chip damage.

And also pay attention to the risk reword on moves. Take Smoke’s teleport punch. If the move hits your opponent he takes 12% or whatever damage it is. If he blocks it you’re taking his most damaging combo every time. The move should only be used as a projectile punisher or on wake ups.

But we will have a better picture on how to help with videos.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
This is in response to Frothy Omen, but it really goes for anyone on this site. If you want to do some online sparring I'd be down. We could get a private 1v1 or KOTH room and battle it out. We could then discuss what you did right and what you did wrong and work on improving your game. My xbox is in repair at the moment but I should have it back in a week or so. That offer always stands.

BOSSETTE

Noob
I'm down to practice with anyone. I haven't been playing mk a lot recently and I haven't been catching up with all of the updates so I feel so behind on this game now. :(

Tremloc

Noob
Hey Frothy if you want to get some games in send me a friend request over xbl. I'm in the DFW area so if you're around there even better.

King

Sig Maker
I'm having trouble getting even decent at mk. Just hit the 24-hour milestone with smoke and I still lose 80% of my games. I know multiple combos for different situations, how to pressure my opponent on wakeup and get him to make a mistake so I can combo him again. I feel strong mentally, I know how I'm supposed to play my character, what to do against other characters, etc.,
If this is all true, try picking up Sub Zero. He is a character that relies heavily on a strong mental game; any random poke by the opponent could mean a full combo from Sub.

I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to make an account lol
I suppose iim having the same issue as you but mine is against higher level players(thousands of games/tournament seasoned players). There are some basic things ii need to learn that I haven't found info on such as: knowng when to poke/escape strings/blockstrings- properly dealing with cross up punches- wake up pressure... While I do know the basics of these I haven't been able to properly execute due to lack of true practice and information..
On XBL I have around 500 games and I've just started to gain negative w/l ratio trying to play better players or playing in tym room... I know all of my mains strings and combos but against some people and the pressure above its hard for me to even get started..
looking to game with anyone for solid occasional xbl practice
xbl- mohbuttitches - I share my 360 and only play mk now so holla and ill accept when im on.

If this is all true, try picking up Sub Zero. He is a character that relies heavily on a strong mental game; any random poke by the opponent could mean a full combo from Sub.
Haha, he's my other main! But I haven't played him much lately as I've been trying to improve my smoke

I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to make an account lol
I suppose iim having the same issue as you but mine is against higher level players(thousands of games/tournament seasoned players). There are some basic things ii need to learn that I haven't found info on such as: knowng when to poke/escape strings/blockstrings- properly dealing with cross up punches- wake up pressure... While I do know the basics of these I haven't been able to properly execute due to lack of true practice and information..
On XBL I have around 500 games and I've just started to gain negative w/l ratio trying to play better players or playing in tym room... I know all of my mains strings and combos but against some people and the pressure above its hard for me to even get started..
looking to game with anyone for solid occasional xbl practice
xbl- mohbuttitches - I share my 360 and only play mk now so holla and ill accept when im on.
I feel like my problems are almost exactly the same as yours. Let's try to practice together in a few days

You should go ahead and upload some of your match.
My guess is your losing because of presser. You just need to learn when to poke out of your opponents attacks and when to escape. Granted online can make this nearly impossible with the awful input delay. Knowing how to presser and how to escape it is one of the most important parts of this game. Blocking attacks build your opponents meter while you take chip damage.

And also pay attention to the risk reword on moves. Take Smoke’s teleport punch. If the move hits your opponent he takes 12% or whatever damage it is. If he blocks it you’re taking his most damaging combo every time. The move should only be used as a projectile punisher or on wake ups.

But we will have a better picture on how to help with videos.
I'll put some up in a few days. I'm going to be out tonight and most of the day tomorrow, but I'll add some as soon as I reasonably can :)

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
I remember playing an Ermac with my Sub-Zero who I double flawlessed. I just kept jumping over his wake up and doing my 36% combo. He just kept doing wake up with telelift and I kept doing that. I sent him tips on what he was doing wrong and that was it. I also send tips on people I trick with my ice puddle reset so they dont think sub zero is broken.

It starts with nicness, and ends in puppies and rainbows.

I know the feeling bro. I've broken 4 controllers so far in this game and not because of the fact that people wait the last second to fatality or sit there and crouch making it look like they are teabagging you, it's the fact that I lose due to human error. I freaking play Sektor and whenever I mess up a wake up EX TU or I miss a buffer of a special I go apeshit. Heck I have put over 1000 matches online and know my Sektor through and through but missing a combo or misreading my match up causes so much rage...

I'll gladly play you Frothy, since your main is Smoke I'm certain you'll be a great challenge for me but I'll give you as many tips as I can to help you with the Sektor match up.

Hey guys, I only had time to play 3 games earlier today, and here they are. I played two as Sub-Zero and won both, and I played one as Smoke and lost. Looking back, I can see a very large number of flaws in my smoke play, which is undoubtedly why I lost. Regardless, here's some shit-quality recordings of those matches!

King

Sig Maker
Hey Frothy, if you want to play add me on XBL.

I play Sub and Noob. I also have a mic so I can always just tell you what you did right/wrong/need to improve on etc...

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Hey guys, I finally had a decent game with Sub! Here's the video :)

I'll add a couple more as I upload them and they become available. BEWARE, SHIIIIIIIITTY QUALITY. Using my laptop webcam and keeping my webcam in my lap while playing <_<

What I noticed from how you play: You seem to know sub-zeros combos. That is good. You also seem to know how to block Liu Kangs mix ups, also good.

But: You did 22, iceball. Unsafe unsafe. You are better to do something like 224 into iceclone (if blocked). Just keep poking them like that. You also used x-ray a bit early and badly. It scaled very badly. I would save x-ray for one combo set up only- 2,1,4 into x-ray=48%. I would poke him with 2,1,4 into ice clone if blocked and if not... you x-ray.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Nice use of Ice Clones. I think that's probably my biggest weakness, that I use Sub very aggressively and rush down. I'm missing half my game, and by watching others play, it becomes more obvious. =P

Thanks for posting this!

Lyuben,

Yeah, I know how bad those 22 ice balls are. I was lazy and didn't hit confirm them, usually I try to do that and end with 4 ice clone if they block, or slide as a mixup. Basically, I just completely fucked up haha.

As for the x-ray, I don't usually use it that early if at all, but I caught him in what felt like a really good position and thought what the hell, let's x-ray him. In retrospect it probably wasn't the best possible usage, so I'll try to work on that :)

EDIT also can I add you on XBL? I'm sure your sub is much better than mine so I'd love to learn from you if you'd be willing to play with me.

Nice use of Ice Clones. I think that's probably my biggest weakness, that I use Sub very aggressively and rush down. I'm missing half my game, and by watching others play, it becomes more obvious. =P

Thanks for posting this!
A rushdown sub-zero is not a bad thing at all. You really need to know how to rushdown with him, and how to mixup, since all your useful strings start with 2 which is only 8 frames (!!!) so he's actually quite a bit faster than what he feels like. Balance is key :)