What's new

Evo # of entrants officially released + EST. total pot

Sauron

Noob
Injustice is down 269 ... shame on you! ... also NRS could of put some 1-2k for the prize... damn it...

Vagrant

Noob
KI numbers are a huge surprise.

After the CEO turnout I was a bit worried. Glad guys are showing up, didn't expect it to outdraw IGAU honestly.

rolz420zx

MindGamez
Yo Netherrealm/WB where is the pot bonus!?!?!?!?!?! Even Capcom who is basically bankrupt offered up $10,000 for Ultra.

I'm saying this as a joke but seriously support your game and community!! "Biggest fighting game of the year" with same pot as KOF and smaller the BBCP...lol

KI will be interesting. Hopefully the Spinals and Fulgores have now had enough time in the oven that they've caught up to the original 6.

I really want to see more Orchids though. I just picked her up, and her footsies are filthy. She's so underused.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
1. SSF4 AE v2012 - 1,601 players
2. UMvC3 - 1,297 players
3. Smash - 696 players
4. Injustice - 582 players
5. SFxT - 545 players
6. KoF13 - 433 players
7. P4A - 400 players
8. TTT2 - 355 players
9. MK9 - 233 players

Last years numbers
Well that's a little disappointing....

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Congrats to the KI community. For being a one console game, that's pretty impressive.

2k people for USFIV doesn't surprise me. EVO is the one tournament online warriors will even attend because of it's prestige. It's the Superbowl of fighting games and some people save up all year for this one tournament. I'm excited to see what unfolds.
Another contributing factor is that it is in Las Vegas, after getting knocked out of the tournaments, you can always come up on one of the many buffets.

Sami

Noob
Not surprised about the USF4 numbers - even without the pot it's always drawn big numbers and this edition came out quite recently. Glad to see heathy KOF13 numbers - although I don't play the game it was by far my most favourite to watch on stream at last year's event.

A question about BBCP: have the anime community rallied around this game because it's great, new, pot bonus, or what? I don't pay much attention to anime fighters and their scene so this one took me by surprise.

Shame about the Injustice figures but this is the third tourney within a month so I understand if people can't afford it or are burnt out. After the MLG and CEO finals though I can't say I'm that excited for the end result. I'll watch as many matches in pools as possible of course as they're always hype.

If top 8 becomes Trident Rush spam this will probably be year 2 of booing lol

Not surprised about the USF4 numbers - even without the pot it's always drawn big numbers and this edition came out quite recently. Glad to see heathy KOF13 numbers - although I don't play the game it was by far my most favourite to watch on stream at last year's event.

A question about BBCP: have the anime community rallied around this game because it's great, new, pot bonus, or what? I don't pay much attention to anime fighters and their scene so this one took me by surprise.

Shame about the Injustice figures but this is the third tourney within a month so I understand if people can't afford it or are burnt out. After the MLG and CEO finals though I can't say I'm that excited for the end result. I'll watch as many matches in pools as possible of course as they're always hype.

If top 8 becomes Trident Rush spam this will probably be year 2 of booing lol
For anime games it goes

GG> BB > P4A > everything else.

BB is the spiritual successor to GG since there were issues with the GG licence I heard. So people naturally supported BB in the waits for GG. GG numbers will blow the SHIT out of BB when xrd finally comes out.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I don't know why people are still surprised that people don't wanna travel for Injustice.

Nice to see decent numbers for KI, too bad about doge though.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
People who's going make the finals hype!!!

want toi attend this next year, i feel its more worth it, going for 2 games than one, plus, my flight and accommodation prolly wouldn't be far off the INJ prize pot lol
Yea i know, its not about the money, but its a def a motivator

Why are people suprised about the injustice number dropping off? When a games in its first year of release it will typically have more entrants. I mean look at MK9 it had 500 in 2011 and that number steadily decreased each evo. This i believe will hold true for KI and the game will suffer heavy losses if its even at evo 2015. Also i believe the reason street fighter has so many more entrants than UMVC3 is the recent addition of ultra typically anything new and exciting gets a lot more casual players entering tournaments like evo has large numbers the first year and then the number drops off.... Excluding capcom of course
I think KI's future is still very much up on the air and heavily dependent on how well Season 2 does and how well Xbox1 does over the next year. Not all games steadily lose numbers, smash, SF and Marvel all have had very good tournament life spans.

To the point of new games, I think the biggest factor about new games is that they are approachable by new players. When a new game comes out a bunch of casuals grab it, so new players can play against other new players. Anyone can pick up KI right now, go in as a rank 1 button masher and play other button mashers. If I were to pick up SF 3rd strike (a game I've never played) and go online with it, I would get absolutely housed by everyone playing online since the game has matured to the point where only veterans are playing it. So the most logical game for me to pickup if I'm new to street fighter series is the newest version which would be Ultra.

Slymind

Noob
I really worry that we'll have a disastrous showing of the game again. Injustice has it's moments where it's insanely hype, but recently the Grand Finals have been painfully boring. Aquaman is a big, boring, unstoppable force in the hands of Theo. Just please don't get booed again. :(
I root a lot for this game, but depending on which characters go into top 8, we might have a bad showing at least partially, Aquaman is most likely the main offender.

The solution, kill every Aquaman player out there...jk of course, but, i just hope things go well. Would like to see Bit, Digit and Maxter in top 8, that Catwoman, Shazam and Lobo are awesome to watch. We should be worried more about the quality of the matches than the numbers itself imo;

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
I'm so fucking happy seeing Killer Instinct get "big" numbers. It's been a downer seeing these low turnouts at recent events but hopefully with the Xbone price cut, Season 2 DLC, and Sponsor support, this game gets a big following.

A proper forum would help too.

Mst

Noob
338 for KI at there first Evo with Pot bonus isnt that big imo and Ultra numbers arent that surprising with Ultra being pretty new + Pot Bonus + Numbers of the last year

Justice

Noob
I was hoping for bigger number for Injustice but not surprised at all. Great numbers really all around.

Here's hoping that MKX gets 2k+ for next year :D

HushoftheWind

When's GGA!?
In my honest opinions those umvc3 and usf4 numbers are than likely filled with pot monsters. Injustice will interesting to watch the whole EVO bc the only people left playing injustice in the tourney communicated are true dedicated players. From a competition stand point I'll be watching mostly injustice pool play to finals closely. I also think usf4 should be hype too. I'm expecting to have usual suspects.

sorry but i am not convinced that pot bonuses impact turnout much, if at all. from experience, i can say with confidence that 95+% of the players attending evo have zero expectations of making any money. a number of experienced TOs agree with me on this, fwiw.

the most interesting way i have heard it could help is if it gets people talking about a game, and that game's community capitalizes on that. blazblue is going through this as we speak - it was never seen as relevant in the "mainstream" part of the scene until that pot bonus was announced. that made people go "wait, people really care about this game?", and now it's on dustloop to convert that into new long-term interest.

that's a bit of a unique case though, and it's not guaranteed to work out anyway. skullgirls was a more extreme example of this same phenomenon with its evo pot bonus, and that didn't do shit for that game in the long run...

EDIT: i guarantee that there is no way in hell injustice will get into evo next year. it's VERY rare for evo to give a community 2 games, besides capcom of course. and actually, i think anime scene is a much better bet for that treatment next year; i believe both GG Xrd & P4A2 will be out by then, and those are both infinitely more attractive than a 3rd year of trident rush.

Last edited: