What's new

Match-up Discussion Ermac Matchup chart by Metzos

Metzos can you explain why the JC match up is in ermac's favour? If you've already posted can you just copy and paste?

I watched the matches Metzos vs Cimmerian and Metzos winning does not convince me Ermac is a bad match up for Johnny Cage. What I saw from Cimmerian: not capitalizing on all jump attempts (he AA'd but not on all given opportunites), not taking advantage of the corner position and not utilizing 11F1 or ex force balls. The video can be an argument for the match up being 5-5, but not 6-4.

zaf

professor
He might not of AA on all given opportunities because of how he felt at the time in the match or maybe because he had other plans with Metzos jumping in. We don't know what he was thinking, only he does. Metzos will try his best to not stay in the corner and not every cage will keep you in the corner every time. Yes in theory cage should lock you down there, but that is also all on paper and the matches is what actually happened. Maybe other days Cimmerian could keep Met locked there, but just not at that tourney. Would be cool to get Cimmerian to come in here and speak about the match up.

EX force balls ermac can just duck under and poke out

Why would a cage player ever do a cross up into the corner? I do understand that cross ups on wake up are powerful, especially in the corner (one aspect of the game i hate), but JC benefits infinitely more from keeping the opponent in the corner.

Yes in theory cage should lock you down there, but that is also all on paper and the matches is what actually happened.
If you're using this logic to argue that the match up is still in ermac's favour, it can be played the other way around. "In theory, ermac can keep JC away but the reality is that cimmerian got in a bunch of times". You can use this argument to say that match up charts are stupid. What I saw was a JC player who wasn't fully taking advantage of all the times he was able to get in and all the times metzos was cornered. In the corner, ermac is no different from any other character (except reptile). Jumping is always dangerous, ESPECIALLY in the corner because regardless of what AA string JC does, ermac will get combo'd into nut punch.

Yes, ermac can just duck under ex force balls and poke out but so can any other character. It's very easy for JC to condition an opponent to block high.

zaf

professor
Maybe he wanted to cross over and then throw? Would send ermac back in the corner.
I can't speak for what he was thinking.

I understand what you are saying.

I'm not using the matches as 100% legitimate proof that the mu is in ermacs favour. I did see Cim not take full advantage some times, but other matches he practically flawless-ed Metzos. It really is possible he was going for different things to not be "predictable". I really can't speak for Cim and why he chose to play the way he did.

I know cage can make me block high by conditioning, but does the first hit of ex ball jail?
Cuz even if i am stand blocking, usually when i see the move come out im able to crouch under the 2nd hit.

zaf JC can do 13 ex force ball and it will jail, no escaping that. Ermac also has a high crouching hit box which means JC can do 11F1 on crouch block. A character without armor needs to be able to keep JC away in order to win against JC (IE kitana, noob saibot, pre-patch SZ). Ermac's hit box is similar to reptile's but there are key differences in the match up. 1) Reptile has an armor move. 2) elbow dash is a bigger reward for escaping pressure than d1. 3) safer zoning. 4) better mobility. 5) cannot do 11F1 on crouch block.

Reptile is a bad match up for johnny cage but ermac is not.

EDIT: 6) Reptile is more difficult to take advantage of in the corner.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I watched the matches Metzos vs Cimmerian and Metzos winning does not convince me Ermac is a bad match up for Johnny Cage. What I saw from Cimmerian: not capitalizing on all jump attempts (he AA'd but not on all given opportunites), not taking advantage of the corner position and not utilizing 11F1 or ex force balls. The video can be an argument for the match up being 5-5, but not 6-4.

Just to clarify something here m8. You cant AA all jumps. Most of the time jumping kicks win against AA jabs or even uppercuts. Just pointing that out. But i agree with you with the JC MU. I m starting to believe its 5.5-4.5 still in Ermac's favor though, i just need to try some things i have in mind.

zaf

professor
Cool playpal, thanks for the info. I knew i could duck under ex forceball, just was not sure if he could jail me into it.
It really does seem like an even MU, if cage gets in its hard to get out. If cage stays out, its not easy to get in. I think first hit is very important for ermac in this MU as well.

Owerbart

I miss you
Hello. I noticed that Kratos isn't involved in this Matchup-Charts, and recently a lot of people in my zone are picking up Kratos. Any tips on the matchup? I would love to know if there's a way to punish the f42 string.

Cheers.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Hello. I noticed that Kratos isn't involved in this Matchup-Charts, and recently a lot of people in my zone are picking up Kratos. Any tips on the matchup? I would love to know if there's a way to punish the f42 string.

Cheers.

The reason i didnt put Kratos in the chart is cause he is not tournament playable.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Can someone explain to me why QC is at disadvantage?

metzos13 bori tin kiriaki 8a er8o sto dojo,8ase eki?

oso gia to shang mu 8a ime to piramatozoo

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Yeah, I know that, but still a lot of people play him in casuals and in PSN. Any tips or experiences?
Nope sorry i dont have any MU experience against Kratos. Havent played against Kratos since the launch of the game so i really dont know anything about him. I just try to keep him away all the time.