What's new

Dragon Age Inquisition Discussion *DLC Released!*

RiverHB

Noob
Inquisition is a fun game, but I don't like it as much as Origins. I think Origins has a better story overall. My only real gripes with the Inquisition:

They dumbed down the companion tactics way too much. Some characters are still good on auto pilot, such as tanks (Blackwall can be nearly invincible with his specialization), but the AI does a lot of dumb things I cannot counter without a) telling them to not perform certain specials ever b) micromanaging every single attack. At least there are ways around this, but I don't feel nearly as tactical.

Bugs/glitches galore. If you've played it there's no need to go into it. If you haven't, it's like many 2014 games. Origins on PS3 was a technical disaster so it's no worse in that regard.

I still recommend the game and if anyone is wondering what a good starting class/specialization is, go for a Knight Enchanter mage, or roll with Vivienne. It's like the un-killable Arcane Warrior from Origins.

E

Eldriken

Inquisition is a fun game, but I don't like it as much as Origins. I think Origins has a better story overall. My only real gripes with the Inquisition:

They dumbed down the companion tactics way too much. Some characters are still good on auto pilot, such as tanks (Blackwall can be nearly invincible with his specialization), but the AI does a lot of dumb things I cannot counter without a) telling them to not perform certain specials ever b) micromanaging every single attack. At least there are ways around this, but I don't feel nearly as tactical.

Bugs/glitches galore. If you've played it there's no need to go into it. If you haven't, it's like many 2014 games. Origins on PS3 was a technical disaster so it's no worse in that regard.

I still recommend the game and if anyone is wondering what a good starting class/specialization is, go for a Knight Enchanter mage, or roll with Vivienne. It's like the un-killable Arcane Warrior from Origins.
Knight Enchanter breaks the game's difficulty, lol. That's fine with me, however.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This new character I made, female Rogue Elf, is beautiful. I might stream me playing later.

What race/class have you guys used? @Pig Of The Hut

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Male sword and board Warrior and I'm working on scheming some sexy time with Cassandra. I'm impressed with the size of the game though. I'm 25-30 hrs in and just made it to Skyhold after clearing the 3 zones before. Multiplayer is fun too although not as good as the ME3MP in my opinion.

Also bump the difficulty up to Nightmare if it's too easy for you. You'll have to strategize more and think about utilizing spell/skill combo effects.

Last edited:

Furbe

Noob
The glitches are various and plentiful, but the expansiveness and replay ability keep one playing through them as if they aren't even there. A true masterpiece to get lost in for months to come, a:

out of 10...

The Highlander

There can be only one
I'm considering picking this up but am having some serious trust issues due to DA2. Anyone played all three and is willing to vouch that this one is better than 2 and closer to origins? I can't bring myself to trust the reviews since they spouted the same crap about DA2...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm considering picking this up but am having some serious trust issues due to DA2. Anyone played all three and is willing to vouch that this one is better than 2 and closer to origins? I can't bring myself to trust the reviews since they spouted the same crap about DA2...
Loved DAO, hated DA2, love DAI. It's good, play it. Now...

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
What did you like about DA:O that you didn't like in DA2? Then I can better answer your question. I've played all 3.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
As far as you character and their abilities, you have a base of 4 skill trees for each class (Warrior, Rogue, Mage). Within each class, later on you can "specialize" in a certain ability that opens up another skill tree. There's a soft level cap of 20, where in which you get no more ability points when you level up. This means you can't have a Rogue that does everything, you have to specialize to a certain playstyle, which is awesome. Each skill tree is unique, some are more offensive, others defensive, some are more of helping you restore mana/stamina or conjure barriers, and others are for status effects. For example, as a Mage, there's a skill tree for Fire, Ice, Electric, and Spirit. The Spirit is for barriers, mana regen, etc. The staffs have elemental abilities themselves, so if you specialize in Fire, you will want a Fire imbued staff. You don't have to only go down one skill tree, but with limited ability points, you can't just use them wherever. The good thing is, you can buy an amulet that allows for respec, it costs gold but you can buy it as many times as you want, just in case you messed up or wanna try other abilities.

As far as appearance goes, you can alter your face quite a bit at the beginning of the game. The character customization as far as weapons and armor is pretty good as well. You have Armor and Weapons you can find around the world, and its rarity is color coded much like Destiny. You can also craft weapons and armor, which seem to generally be better than what you find around the world. It just depends, there's different tiers of crafted Armor/Weapons, so it it just depends on your level, how far you are into the game, etc. You can also improve your Weapons and Armor. All of this crafting requires materials you either can gather across the world or buy at certain merchants. There's also character and class specific Armor/Weapons. As a Warrior, I cannot use a Dagger, or wear armor that's supposed to be for a Rogue or Mage. Then there's character specific Armor/Weapons. Where only that specific character can wear/use that specific item.
Unless the soft level cap was recently patched in that was incorrect. I'm level 27 and got skill points each level. My Two Handed Champion is unkillable at this point. I did a side quest and got lucky as hell and recieved a 2 handed elven sword that does 415 aoe damage and buffs the piss out of my character. I also have 3 trees maxed out (well excluding useless moves) so Im hitting like a truck and have armor/guard for days.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
This ^^

When I first played DAO, this was a huge turnoff for me. My first battle once I was able to go wherever I wanted ended up this exact thing. I was running around the area in circles trying not to die while my abilities came back so I could use them and repeat.
If this happened in Origins then it's safe to say you have no idea on how the game should be played. Origins is much more different than what you describe.

E

Eldriken

Unless the soft level cap was recently patched in that was incorrect. I'm level 27 and got skill points each level. My Two Handed Champion is unkillable at this point. I did a side quest and got lucky as hell and recieved a 2 handed elven sword that does 415 aoe damage and buffs the piss out of my character. I also have 3 trees maxed out (well excluding useless moves) so Im hitting like a truck and have armor/guard for days.
I heard that all that changes once you hit the soft cap is that it's increasingly more difficult to hit the next level.

The Highlander

There can be only one
What did you like about DA:O that you didn't like in DA2? Then I can better answer your question. I've played all 3.
The story mostly, DA2 was a mess. It had some cool parts but then cut all over the timeline to try and give a sense of 'epicness'. The level design was also a bad cut and paste job. There were a few other minor changes that I didn't like, but mainly it was the story and how nothing you did had any impact at all. Hawke could have not existed and the same shit would have went down... "Hey mages let me help you, oh you're going to turn into a murderous blood mage anyway? Well then let me help the templars instead, oh she's still going to go insane and try to kill everybody..." DA:O was just more cohesive and held my interest through multiple play throughs.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Oh I see, I just heard there was a soft level cap at 20. I think every class is really strong and can conceivably be "unkillable" based on how the game is designed. You have insanely good abilities and you have 3 other character that can help support you, take attention away, or simply help with DPS. I started out as a fire mage, and the wall of fire ability on some enemies causes the to panic but not run away, so they stay in the fire panicking and not attacking. Of course, this wasn't my best attack or strategy but that alone had won many battles for me, lol.

Using a Rogue Archer with my beautiful female elf and the damage I'm doing with single attacks is crazy. I'm around level 9 and on Hard I'm doing upwards of 700 damage per hit with my ability attacks, and I get crits a lot too. Even the standard RT/R2 attack is doing like around 100-150 per shot, it's pretty cray cray.

I want to upgrade to Nightmare, but you only get the achievement for playing on Nightmare if you start on it. I know achievements don't really matter but it just seems wasteful to change it mid game, idk. This game is really fun and it can be challenging, but overall, it's a bit too easy imo. I might do a 2-3 character max Nightmare playthrough, since you aren't required to have a full 4 person party. Hell, I might even try a solo playthrough, I imagine that would be really difficult though, possibly even impossibru.

E

Eldriken

Oh I see, I just heard there was a soft level cap at 20. I think every class is really strong and can conceivably be "unkillable" based on how the game is designed. You have insanely good abilities and you have 3 other character that can help support you, take attention away, or simply help with DPS. I started out as a fire mage, and the wall of fire ability on some enemies causes the to panic but not run away, so they stay in the fire panicking and not attacking. Of course, this wasn't my best attack or strategy but that alone had won many battles for me, lol.

Using a Rogue Archer with my beautiful female elf and the damage I'm doing with single attacks is crazy. I'm around level 9 and on Hard I'm doing upwards of 700 damage per hit with my ability attacks, and I get crits a lot too. Even the standard RT/R2 attack is doing like around 100-150 per shot, it's pretty cray cray.

I want to upgrade to Nightmare, but you only get the achievement for playing on Nightmare if you start on it. I know achievements don't really matter but it just seems wasteful to change it mid game, idk. This game is really fun and it can be challenging, but overall, it's a bit too easy imo. I might do a 2-3 character max Nightmare playthrough, since you aren't required to have a full 4 person party. Hell, I might even try a solo playthrough, I imagine that would be really difficult though, possibly even impossibru.
Do your solo playthrough once you get Knight Enchanter unlocked and enough points to become a god.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Do your solo playthrough once you get Knight Enchanter unlocked and enough points to become a god.
Ya that buff the Knight Enchanter has where they get a barrier for damage they cause is stupid. You can literally have a barrier 100% of the time.

But as Juggs said any class can be really OP. I'm doing a 2 person run through on Nightmare. Just me and Blackwall vs the world lol. I'm a rouge and they are hands down the best single target DPS in the game.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Random under map glitch that I recorded. Dragon Age: Glitchisition!

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
It's definitely the best of the Dragon Age series, but Dragon Age was always pretty mediocre. And DA2 sucked complete ass imo.

But that said, as I normally do with bioware RPGs, I've put in a massive amount of time into the game. lol

Knight Enchanter is broken as fuuuuuuck! But Mage is probably the most fun class. So I just go with other specs.

In the process of trying out Rogue class now. Didn't even know they were making DLC for it. Sweet.

RiverHB

Noob
Wish this released for PS4 today. Oh well, I'm trying to finish my Nightmare playthrough now. I'm using an Elven Rogue Archer with the Assassin specialization. Archery is a lot of fun in this game contrary to Origins.

Knight Enchanter is OP, as Arcane Warrior was in Origins, but I wouldn't call it broken. The Tempest pre-patch was broken because Thousand Cuts would not have a cool down with Flask of Fire. That was broken LOL. It's still OP with its ability to one-shot the bosses, however.

MK Led

Umbasa
Ooooh dlc.

Also to continue on an old discussion, goty 2014 was either transistor or binding of isaac: rebirth, imo. Though Inquisition was very good. It was a bit grindy sometimes, especially when you just got so tank you could never die and didn't even have to pay attention in combat anymore. At least the environments you were grinding in looked fucking amazing.