What's new

Strategy Dr. Pre-Emptive Trait or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love 50/50s

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Hello all,

I have come to the belief that there is a general misunderstanding of the power and application of Aquaman's trait, in terms of avoiding mixups. There are three ways to use his trait effectively:

1) React to yourself being hit by a string or launcher that does multiple hits (example: Catwoman's Cat Claws or Flash's Lightning Kick)
2) Traiting to avoid being punished on whiff or block
3) Pre-emptively in a situation where you are forced to guess 50/50 being high and low

While #1 and #2 are very straightforward and is utilized just fine by pretty much everyone, I want to discuss #3.

Pre-emptive Trait Theory:
When you are put into a situation where you know for sure you have to guess a overhead/low mixup, you use trait before any attacks come out to avoid the whole situation. The only option most characters have to combat you pre-emptively using trait while stand blocking is throw or sweep (d+3). Both of these are not very damaging options, with the throw being able to be teched and most characters sweep being punishable if you scout them catching on to your strategy.

The reason this works while traiting on reaction in the same situation does not, is that if you activate trait while in hitstun you must take one additional hit before you are able to block attacks. This obviously does not give you enough time to trait 2 hit launchers after you are hit by the first hit. Since you are activating the trait before you are even hit, you are able to block immediately after taking the first hit. This allows you to avoid 2 hit launchers that cannot be traited on reaction.

Practical Application:
Let us say you are fighting Wonder Woman and get knocked down in the corner. One of the worst situations you can be in, in this game. You can make this situation significantly less scary by simply pre-emptively using trait as you are waking up, while blocking high. Her options become much more limited in this situation. Both of her 50/50 options (B2 and 33) are blocked.

There are countless situations where you can apply this technique to great affect. Waking up against Green Lantern or after a blocked Deathstroke F3 to name a few.

Note: There is some situations where it is more beneficial to block low instead of high if they do not have any single hit launches aside from a slow F3 that can be blocked on reaction.

Limitations:
In the rare occasion the opponent has both a fast single hit launch low and overhead starter (Killer Frost's slide and F3 for example), this technique will not work.

Closing Notes:
I encourage you to experiment and find situations where you can pre-emptively use Aquaman's trait to avoid being put in a 50/50 guess that is not traitable on reaction.

Feel free to post your findings in this thread and make some of Aquaman's matchups more advantageous.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Wow was there really this little discussion? Come on Aquaman players! GGA Dizzy I definitely agree with you on this, and in certain matchups I do this all the time (your example of Wonder Woman for sure) but I still miss a lot of opportunities to abuse it. I'll even use this if I'm going to try back dashing out of offense like black Adams where he has b23 to punish. Of course that is a very specific situation for it to be worth it, but the point is that you can take away a lot of mixups with preemptive trait. Great post dizzy.

McNasty

Moist.
I needed this. although hombre de agua is only my secondary, trait use is my #1 concern to take him to the next level. Good write up will experiment with examples to add.

GGA Dizzy

Excuse me, Primal Dominion Militant. But please shut up. Injustice is bad. :(

By the way if I ever go to a major I am entering as "PRIMAL DOMINION MILITANT" just so you'll be like wtfwtfwtwfwtfwtf!

i'm betting in the near future, people are going to have to read whether aqua uses his trait or not... whehter its mid combo or not... which is yeah...

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
I have been pre emptive traiting only. I dont understand the trait, if I am being combo'd I've used trait a million times and it seems to do nothing. How does it work when you are being hit? So these days I pre empt it every time because I had such failure using it mid combo. I always try pressing as early as I can mid combo but it doesnt seem to work.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
I have been pre emptive traiting only. I dont understand the trait, if I am being combo'd I've used trait a million times and it seems to do nothing. How does it work when you are being hit? So these days I pre empt it every time because I had such failure using it mid combo. I always try pressing as early as I can mid combo but it doesnt seem to work.
The trait doesn't activate instantly; take batmans combos for example: how you get hit, then activate trait during the first and second hit, but you won't be able to block only the third hit. So single hit launchers blow up the trait. (D2)