What's new

DOMA and Prop 8 bodied by the Constitution

Vogue

Noob
You don't think it kind of sounds like an exploit so that they can do whatever they want and still get money and benefits? Sounds fishy to me.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
You don't think it kind of sounds like an exploit so that they can do whatever they want and still get money and benefits? Sounds fishy to me.
So it's an exploit that I want to visit someone I love if he's dying in a hospital?

cyke_out

Noob
I think it's fine was just wondering what the point of it all was and why everyone was so happy.
the same reason people were happy when women or blacks were finally able to vote like white men. People are happy when a social injustice is abolished, whither that is segregation or marriage. If one group of people have a right, then all groups of people should.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Its not all good news.

Republicans are anti gay rights, Democrats are anti privacy.

Shit sucks in the good ole USA.
You seem to be forgetting the bush-era patriot act. Any controlling party is going to be engaged in violations of privacy for the rest of our lives.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
You seem to be forgetting the bush-era patriot act. Any controlling party is going to be engaged in violations of privacy for the rest of our lives.

I meant more of voters. All politicans hate privacy.

I remember a recent poll that said 39% of republicans agreed with Prism while 51% of democrats did

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I meant more of voters. All politicans hate privacy.

I remember a recent poll that said 39% of republicans agreed with Prism while 51% of democrats did
The numbers would be flipped if the controlling party were also flipped. Same thing.

tazzmission

Banned
I think Antigay people are going to have a rough time because of this ruling. Anyone else catch this part of the decision?

"The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity."

Emphasis mine. Seems like its not far from there to argue individual states have no legitimate purpose in not allowing gay marriage.

the only argument from what i understand is because of religion. i personally dont care if gays wanna marry and you know what scares me on that whole thing with the right wing nutjobs? we still have racist people in the world who dont believe in interacial relationships or marriage so should there be a law that says a white man cant marry a black woman or vise versa based on some crappy ideology from neo nazis?

i mean where does it end?

my attitude is if its 2 concenting adults 18 and older hey more power to you and its none of my buisness

Goldi

Noob
Marriage exists in every culture and has since before the current popular religions. It acts as a civilized form of population control, and more recently, a business arrangement for tax breaks, health insurance and green cards.

Anyone should be able to go for it <3

... Ideally with being allowed to chose their own spouse and doing it for love or something.

Funny how gay marriage will send some people into a panic, but arranged and child marriages (still popular in some parts of the world) get the gloss over from them.

I think I got funny and sad mixed up.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I think this is great news and I just wish that the rest of the country would just accept the inevitability that gay marrige is eventually going to be 100% legal across the country.

The whole gay marriage issue is completely stupid and this trully helps get the ball rolling on finally bringing in more equality in this country. My view is that if your only reason why something should not be, is due to your religious beliefs and you cannot backup that counter argument with nothing more than a passage in a religous text your argument is already invalid. I love how many trully believe that this country's laws and foundations were founded off of Christian beliefs (now there may be some laws), when the entire reason this country was built with a separation of church and state was due to how things were prior to the Declaration of Independence. Now I am not attacking anyone's religious beliefs, but this is just another blow towards all those that believe they are right, because of their religion and I for one am happy about it. Now if only we could finally get creationism out of our schools and stop the whole war on science thing.

These are opinons BTW and not any assessment of mine since you all know I like to argue facts and logic quite a bit.

aj1701

Noob
my attitude is if its 2 concenting adults 18 and older hey more power to you and its none of my buisness
One argument against gay marriage is "where will it stop? Should we allow three people to marry?". Basically a bad slippery slope argument.

Since you explicitly said two consenting adults, I'd like to ask, why stop at two? I'm of the mindset that consenting adults should be able to make their own decisions and I can't think of any good reason not to allow that.

tazzmission

Banned
One argument against gay marriage is "where will it stop? Should we allow three people to marry?". Basically a bad slippery slope argument.

Since you explicitly said two consenting adults, I'd like to ask, why stop at two? I'm of the mindset that consenting adults should be able to make their own decisions and I can't think of any good reason not to allow that.

if someone wants to have multiple wives i aint going to judge because hes going to be the one to worry about 3 pairs of inlaws that will do nothing but nag him to death. that my friend is why i will never get married because even the thought of one pair of inlaws already says its going to annoy me

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease

It is already written in law that to have more than one spouse is illegal. The other argument I here is what if people want to marry their dog or cat, or w/e, but its between two consenting adults, an animal cannot consent. That is the only justification outside of religion many try to argue.

tazzmission

Banned
It is already written in law that to have more than one spouse is illegal. The other argument I here is what if people want to marry their dog or cat, or w/e, but its between two consenting adults, an animal cannot consent. That is the only justification outside of religion many try to argue.

yea i will still never understand how anyone can even compare same sex marrages to beastyality

i cant even count how many arguments i got into over that simply because it was a stupid argument

One thing I just find so funny is how people pretend homosexuality is the only sin in the world.
God forbids it! It seems Gay Marriage is the only thing in the world they are against out of every other sin.
If this were the case, once a person is divorced , they should be prohibited to re-marry, as God forbids that too.

Yet, they don't say shit about divorce, tattoos, eating pork, cutting one's hair, fidelity, etc.
People just need to learn to respect people, or at the very least, keep their rude comments to themselves.

aj1701

Noob
Ya I don't think those are good reasons either.

if someone wants to have multiple wives i aint going to judge because hes going to be the one to worry about 3 pairs of inlaws that will do nothing but nag him to death. that my friend is why i will never get married because even the thought of one pair of inlaws already says its going to annoy me
Lmao, nicely said.