What's new

DOMA and Prop 8 bodied by the Constitution

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Am I the only one waiting for Sarah Palin's response?

And am making popcorn while doing so?

aj1701

Noob
I think Antigay people are going to have a rough time because of this ruling. Anyone else catch this part of the decision?

"The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity."

Emphasis mine. Seems like its not far from there to argue individual states have no legitimate purpose in not allowing gay marriage.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I don't exactly understand gayness and find it pretty yucky myself but really. Opposing gay marriage makes no sense.

If you're implying that there is a strict definition of marriage based on religion, you're asking church and state to become one. Which is not constitutionally right.

I think Antigay people are going to have a rough time because of this ruling. Anyone else catch this part of the decision?

"The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity."

Emphasis mine. Seems like its not far from there to argue individual states have no legitimate purpose in not allowing gay marriage.
Yeah, basically they said that DoMA served no governmental function other than to discriminate, which the government isn't allowed to do. And then they threw out the Prop 8 case because the people bringing it up had no stake in it other than the fact that gay marriage made them mad.

It's been a weird week for the Supreme Court. Good luck voting if you're a minority, but gay people can get married.

aj1701

Noob
It's been a weird week for the Supreme Court. Good luck voting if you're a minority, but gay people can get married.
Minorities did not lose the right to vote. States won on their valid claim that recent data should be used in determining if they are covered under the VRA. Congress can update the areas covered using recent census data if they choose, but since they decided to be lazy and use data 40 years out of date, I doubt they'll do anything. Anyway if you want to discuss that ruling further create a thread, lets not side track this one any further.

aj1701

Noob
I don't exactly understand gayness and find it pretty yucky myself but really. Opposing gay marriage makes no sense.

If you're implying that there is a strict definition of marriage based on religion, you're asking church and state to become one. Which is not constitutionally right.
You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it, but I respect more that you can set it aside and not force your beliefs on others. I really wish more people were like you and understood that not liking something doesn't give one the right to say others can't do it.

JaredL

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it, but I respect more that you can set it aside and not force your beliefs on others. I really wish more people were like you and understood that not liking something doesn't give one the right to say others can't do it.

Hold on now, don't assume I hate gays or anything.

I just can't look at two gay guys kissing and stuff in public. I feel like I must look away, not pleasant for me. But seeing two girls kiss is fine by me.

Unless they're fat.

aj1701

Noob
Hold on now, don't assume I hate gays or anything.

I just can't look at two gay guys kissing and stuff in public. I feel like I must look away, not pleasant for me. But seeing two girls kiss is fine by me.

Unless they're fat.
No I didn't think that, but even if you did who cares? Nobody has to like anyone, just leave them alone and don't abuse your power to make their life difficult (so refusing to hire someone bc they are gay is wrong, so would treating them differently than straight coworkers).

RYX

BIG PUSHER
America, where basic human freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution are controversial.

This is great news, I'm happy for everyone who's now able to marry. :)

JaredL

America, where basic human freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution are controversial.

This is great news, I'm happy for everyone who's now able to marry. :)

Its not all good news.

Republicans are anti gay rights, Democrats are anti privacy.

Shit sucks in the good ole USA.

Vogue

Noob
I havent really been following this. Why are gay people so fantic to get married? Is it just because they can't? Someone explain.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I havent really been following this. Why are gay people so fantic to get married? Is it just because they can't? Someone explain.
When people are denied rights that the Constitution guarantees them they tend to be a little upset.

And some people would like to be married.

Awesome news.

I'm not a fan of marriage, however; I want equality for everyone and this is big :)
Maybe if Mr. Right proposes to me I might lol.

Also, to a previous post, I don't like seeing PDA (Straight or Gay) at all.
It bothers me, and I will speak up if they start making out hardcore and looking like they're going to fuck in public.
Other than that, I look the other way or move.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Basically as a married couple you get stuff like medical coverage, financial benefits, and other goodies.
Homosexual couples used to not even be able to see each other in hospitals because they weren't classified as "married".
Adoption is also a key thing since marrage is a big difference between gaining a child and not getting one.

etc etc.

Vogue

Noob
Basically as a married couple you get stuff like medical coverage, financial benefits, and other goodies.
Homosexual couples used to not even be able to see each other in hospitals because they weren't classified as "married".
Adoption is also a key thing since marrage is a big difference between gaining a child and not getting one.

etc etc.
Ah, so they want more money and special treatment. Okay I get it. Thanks :)

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Awesome news.

I'm not a fan of marriage, however; I want equality for everyone and this is big :)
Maybe if Mr. Right proposes to me I might lol.

Also, to a previous post, I don't like seeing PDA (Straight or Gay) at all.
It bothers me, and I will speak up if they start making out hardcore and looking like they're going to fuck in public.
Other than that, I look the other way or move.
PDA stands for Penetrating Deep Aggresively right?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Ah, so they want more money and special treatment. Okay I get it. Thanks :)
No, they want equal treatment since every other straight couple gets these benefits. "Special" isn't special when you are the only ones not getting it. Also financial benefits include the ability to claim a spouse on your tax forms, them being able to apply for insurance, and so on.

Its not so much they get money as they are able to use it in the same way anyone whom isn't homosexual can.

Its all about getting on the same level playing field as every other human being.