• Yes

Votes: 177 64.8%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.2%

• Total voters

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
My post from another thread, more relevant here:

I feel the majority of players that say stuff like "MKX is in a bad place right now" or that the game is poorly designed have actually never striven to overcome the challenges this game presents. MKX is a game of knowledge as much as it is a game of fundamentals, and even though there are some cases where you're stuck in a position where you have to eat a 50/50 or something else there's usually a reason you got yourself into that position in the first place. The top tier in this game have nothing on the top tier in the previous 2 NRS titles, and even still the top 5 or so actually have counters from within the top 5 and elsewhere in the mid tier. If we focussed more on solving problems than crying about them, I think more of us could remember why we loved the game in the first place (which, fyi, has likely only gotten more balanced with time if we're being completely honest).

Just to expand a little, I actually really, really enjoy the neutral in this game (which I understand many players don't agree is necessary to play in MKX). Run ins can make it hard to play neutral, but you have to be ballsy and know how to tackle certain characters run ins/advancing normals/jump ins in order to play the neutral successfully. Even something as simple as going to the lab and looking for things like "In the neutral, what button is most effective at stopping Johnny's f3, D'vorahs f1, Mileena's b12" etc is something I can guarantee most people here have never done. On top of that, yes the variable blockstun sucks, but you can find ways to punish these "difficult to punish moves" by labbing them. You can find more reliable ways to anti air certain characters by labbing which of your anti air buttons is best for a given situation. (I actually don't have a problem with anti-airs in this game as they are. They're not impossible by any means, and in most cases you're getting as much damage for an anti air as the aggressor gets for jumping in).

If you have trouble finding the right buttons, work on reading the habits of the other player. Maybe you're playing against a cutthroat and you eat a db1 in the corner. Chances are your opponent could have some habits in terms of which option they go for (may be dependent on your life or their previous mixup attempts). Maybe you eat the 50/50, but you got put there in the first place because your neutral was lacking. Further, you can make good reads on the ridiculous offense of Johnny and D'vorah if you really try as well. Knowing when you need to hold the block, armour a gap or even contest their options with normals to punish is extremely important but treated as mythology. There are ways around Johnny and D'vorah's pressure, no matter how desperate things may seem.

Not all of what I've said applies to ALL characters, obviously some characters really can't deal with Johnny or D'vorah as well as others but that's the point of a large and diverse roster. I think in a game like MKX you need to learn to love your options on the select screen. I know some people are character loyalists and just won't pick other characters, in which case it's up to you to be vigilant about finding answers. There's ALWAYS answers, so please let's not convince ourselves that anything in this game in unbeatable.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
To put how shit MKX is as a serious fighter into perspective:

The footsies in MKX are so lacking that the guy who reviewed it at VentureBeat actually took the time to explain to his readers what "footsies" are in fighting games in order to make the point that the game has *none*. He also goes on to highlight the garbage netcode, mashing, wonky hitboxes, ridiculous in-app purchases, and frame data that doesn't match the move animations.

His review was published 4-16-2015, *two days* after the game's release. It took this guy a matter of weeks (assuming he got the game prerelease) to figure out the issues that have taken over a year for TYM to even recognize.

If you claim to like MKX, you're either lying or straight-up in denial. Even the *most* casual gamers can see its massive issues.

WersD

Noob
Arguably the most balanced NRS fighter thus far. Sure there's stupid stuff but remember guys, a lot of people hate this game cause they can't make it out of pools. That and because their main isn't brain dead and some of the top tiers are. You don't hate the game; you hate yourself. Either that or your character never made into MKX and probably won't be in 11 either but you gotta look at Bo Rai Cho

WersD

Noob
To put how shit MKX is as a serious fighter into perspective:

The footsies in MKX are so lacking that the guy who reviewed it at VentureBeat actually took the time to explain to his readers what "footsies" are in fighting games in order to make the point that the game has *none*. He also goes on to highlight the garbage netcode, mashing, wonky hitboxes, ridiculous in-app purchases, and frame data that doesn't match the move animations.

His review was published 4-16-2015, *two days* after the game's release. It took this guy a matter of weeks (assuming he got the game prerelease) to figure out the issues that have taken over a year for TYM to even recognize.

If you claim to like MKX, you're either lying or straight-up in denial. Even the *most* casual gamers can see its massive issues.
"Claim to like, you're in denial"

Over reaction to the max. Saying it don't have traditional footsies is one thing. But saying "No One is allowed to enjoy it legitimately and if they do they're lying" is nuts. Let me remind you it's a videogame. People have fun playing those. It's what they're primary function is.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Not really anything I care to play again, and I say this after a long hiatus. I was really frustrated with the game and how I was playing it, took a long break to review internally, and came to the conclusion that I'm not really missing anything not playing it.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I love all Mortal Kombats, with that said, UMK3, MK9 and MKX are my favs. I don't like some things about it, like oponents building meter when you block. feels like they are rewarding agression and not so much defense. I have been a Cyrax main since MK3 with that my playstyle is out play opponent and setups on setups, mostly space control and zoning. MKXL did no favors for Zoners this time around or AA for that mater. But on MK9 Cyrax was a one touch god with unblockable bombs, Kabal was free, and Sub Zero my 3rd on MK9 had a great Clone that was amazing, and i felt his normals where better suited to that type of clone playstyle, ive always been a defensive player. on MKXL they failed Cyrax and really Cyber sub is about the same as MK9 int his one. they are both good but not great, not worth choosing for tournament play. Im no ESL or EVO player, just my small tournaments locals. im a great player, but not where the top players are. but to me this game is for above just playing at EVO and being the best, its about that root ive had with it since i played in the Arcades Super Nintendo and Sega. that love for Fatalities, Brutalities Stage fatalities and Brutalities, which i hope comes to this one soon. and hopefully Tag Kombat XFingers. Competativly ive had no problem with its mechanics, i just had to adjust my way of thinking to stay afloat being a Defensive player at heart it was tough but i grew stronger for doing so.

so my answer is Yes i love this game, don't like Cancel pressure,a nd 50/s but i deal with it and adapt because i love the game. the characters is what its about. and any game that includes Alien Predator and Cyrax is good in my book.

Every time NRS makes a balance patch, they immediately break the game again.

They showed so much potential, but they ruined it because ALIEN LOL. LET'S GIVE THE GREAT RUSHDOWN CHARACTER GODTIER FOOTSIES AND GODTIER ZONING AS WELL LOL. WHO'S D'VORAH LOL.

WE FORGOT KENSHI AND RAIDEN WERE IN THIS GAME LOL.

THANKS FOR PAYING FOR KP1 WE NERFED ALL THOSE CHARACTERS INTO OBLIVION BUY KP2 NOW LOL.

THANKS FOR PAYING FOR KP2 WE'LL NERF 3/4 CHARACTERS INTO THE DUST NOW LOL.

ALIEN IS OBJECTIVELY BROKEN BUT WHATEVS LOL.

INSTEAD OF FIXING THE ISSUES THAT CERTAIN CHARACTERS HAVE WE'LL JUST MAKE CERTAIN STRINGS/MOVES INSANELY GODLIKE LOL.

gamesun

Noob
Let me start off by saying that I am posting a long post and that I’m not a pro gamer so I don’t know the needy greedy of fighting game mechanics, but I do know what I like. Essentially what I’m trying to say is I don’t play much of SF or Tekken, SC, etc. but I do love me some MK (or injustice). I feel NRS has produced the fighting games for me. I tend to like the games combo oriented gameplay and it’s easy to play but with enough depth mechanics. It’s certainly has depth since one can see/feel the difference when playing a great player or a bad one.

Now Mortal Kombat X carries MK9’s play style and adds new systems that made it a ton of fun like the run mechanic and variations. These new systems add a ton of stuff to what I already enjoyed immensely. The hits feel like hits and the animation is to my eyes very crisp and fast. in fact that’s one of the things I enjoyed about the game that its predecessor was not, fast matches. Now that’s not to say MK9 was boring because I didn’t find it boring when I played it, but MKX feels like in any given moment something might go wrong. Thanks to the run button I felt like the game simply amped it up to 11. I will acknowledge that the game caters to the offensive minded player, at least that’s how the game felt to me so if that’s not your thing then I totally get why you might consider it bad or simply not your cup of tea.

Another thing that I tend to really like about these games is their aesthetics in particular the MK series (and seeing the Injustice 2 gameplay trailer made me happy with its visual flair). MK9 and X are great looking games which embody its story and lore. It’s dark, but not boring. Each arena has meaning behind it as in they are there because its story focus (it’s not simply a background with a giant dinosaur for the sake of a dinosaur). The characters are also just fun too look at and play. It helps that the characters simply look like they actually existed in some weird world where magic was real, basically they don’t feel or look cartoony. Alas the story mode is fantastic and a very smart way of implementing a training mode while giving a very fun story (in fact I can see them expanding the story by simply adding more matches, make it longer). In other words the presentation is fantastic.

Anyways I enjoy these games. I’ve gotten really good playing them (maybe not professionally) but good enough to know who’s good to who’s only good because of the characters they use. So in my opinion MKX is fantastic in every way with its flaws, but then again what game doesn’t have flaws? Well those are my 2 cents in the matter.

NKZero

Noob
I think the next MK release needs to strike the balance between the positives from this game and the positives from MK9, getting the best of both worlds in that regard.

I think most of us would agree the footsie game has pretty much been abolished here. Very few characters can control the space game to their desires without worrying about having to play up close 100% of the time and deal with 50/50s all day, and Grandmaster Sub Zero comes to mind. The running is pretty powerful so it really negates cautious space control.

So they need to find a way to bring back MK9 footsies but at the same time I did like the run function because it gave the movement a notion of fluidity that hadn't been seen in MK games prior. So if they can find a way to retain fluid motion but eliminate run, that would be optimal imo. Also, they need to disregard the variation system. On paper it seemed good, but in practice no. More often than not there is still only one (sometimes 2) go to variation(s) per character e.g. Cutthroat Kano, Grandmaster Sub Zero, Summoner Quan Chi etc. The variation balance has gotten better with each patch, but it didn't quite plan out the way it was intended pre-release. Not to mention, since this game is predominantly rush down and 50/50s, and characters have access to run and there aren't many string-differences amongst the cast, pretty much the best variation of any character is guaranteed to have option to charge in and get 50/50s, it is simply a question of which character has better tools outside that that will determine one's superiority.

Training mode and newly installed net code must remain. Huge upgrades over MK9.

Do not give us so many guest characters next time, though I feel that NRS have to capitalise financially-speaking on the popularity of said characters that will be a draw for casual and non-traditional MK fans alike.

Anyway, do I like the game? Absolutely. Probably the best made MK game to date. It just raises question marks from a competitive standpoint whereby it only slightly exceeds MK9 as a competitive fighter. Whereas MK9 had serious root problems like input bug and P1 advantage, at least MKX's issues (overpowered strings, 50/50s, armor/armor break, jump-in priorities) can be fixed over time. All the foundational stuff has been improved on. Let's hope each instalment of this franchise gets better and better, for every party interested. It deserves that much.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Yes, for sure. The game exceeded my expectations, gameplay-wise, and thus had a ton of replay value. Not to say it was perfect, but very good. Even though I've dropped it right now for SFV, I am sure I'll pick it up again shortly.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I loved this game before kp2. I wish they just fixed the netcode and released the balance patch and didnt worry about the 4 new characters.