What's new

Did Ed just confirm Sheeva?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
The selling point is whatever the fans want it to be. Is Jax's selling point that he's black? Cause nobody would be upset with Jax returning even though we already have other soldiers, other guys with strength powers, other guys with guns, even other guys with robot arms. Does he invalidate Darrius ever existing again? No. A shit character is a shit character and they stay that way until you make them good. "Selling point" is irrelevant. NRS redesigning and shoving Quan Chi down our throats for 15 years hasn't somehow made him the most popular villain, sorceror, or even guy from the Netherrealm. Because he's still just a stupid grey guy with a stupid bald head and nothing that Shang Tsung didn't already do better.

Scorpion doesn't even REMOTELY resemble the guy he was even two games ago, much less in the beginning. But he's a cool fucking character. Do you remember when Smoke was just Scorpion in grey? LITERALLY, just Scorpion in grey. Was he a cool character? Yes, because he was fucking Scorpion in grey. Then he was Scorpion AND Sektor in blue and he was lame. Then he was. . . well, whatever he was in Deception and he was even lamer. Now he's a long haired demon avatar Naruto reject from Sweden and he's awesome again.

Sheeva is one of two non-humanoid females in the entire series, one of maybe 3 total characters with strength based powers, and the only one (until now) who has ever been playable. She's got more selling points than almost the entire remaining rainbow of UMK3 ninjas put together and if she wasn't shit tier and generally unpleasant to use in MK9, she'd be way more popular and relevant.
Even if two characters share 90% of things in common theres so much room for diversion in play styles and moves that it's downright silly.

Like the young martial artist master Shaolin monks that are both descendants of the greatest mortal kombat champion and were trained by the same people at the same time.

Exactly the same though, and with one the other is unneeded right? right?

Or the two special forces agents who have an intense rivalry with the most powerful underground criminal organization in the world and its leader.

In fact, Goro and Sheeva have less in common story-wise than both of those pairs.

They're both from the same race and worked for Kahn, and that is where their similarities end.

Last edited:

KingShaz

In the Shadows
Ed Boon is such a top tier troll, people who know this know that anything is possible. He might be serious or he might be joking, either way we'll read too much into it.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
As much as I don't like her in MK9

I have a really good feeling about her if she shows up in MKX.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'm not saying I dislike Sheeva as a character. I'm saying there is very little likelihood of having 2 Shokans take up roster spots on a relatively small roster.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
Just because she is in game doesn't mean she is going to be playable. She might show-up in Goro's intro/victory-pose/x-ray/fatality if is really lucky, that's it.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
The guy said he needs to know if Sheeva is in the game, but he got no response yet. Boon replied it's a reasonable assumption. My interpretation: it's a reasonable assumption for her to not be in since the response took so long. So, no, she's not in.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I'd say that Boon is just mocking any out of the blue idea about roster composition using this one as an example.
I wouldn't mind Sheeva though. NRS have a lot of space to play with her almost everything: appearance, character, gameplay.
I also wouldn't mind making her a bit more sophisticated in those regards since IMO she would benefit from it if you go by MK9.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Where's the love for Kintaro? :(
I don't know who I like better, Sheeva or Kintaro, but they're both awesome and are in desperate need of love when it comes to story and presentation.

I think it's absolutely safe to assume that anyone who didn't die in MK9 will make an appearance in MKX either playable or unplayable.

CongoFury

Levi Cancel Sorcery
Although there is no word on her appearing in the game... and I am patiently waiting for her return.. .im just sadden by all this sheeva hate... its mind blowing.. lol..

The selling point is whatever the fans want it to be. Is Jax's selling point that he's black? Cause nobody would be upset with Jax returning even though we already have other soldiers, other guys with strength powers, other guys with guns, even other guys with robot arms. Does he invalidate Darrius ever existing again? No. A shit character is a shit character and they stay that way until you make them good. "Selling point" is irrelevant. NRS redesigning and shoving Quan Chi down our throats for 15 years hasn't somehow made him the most popular villain, sorceror, or even guy from the Netherrealm. Because he's still just a stupid grey guy with a stupid bald head and nothing that Shang Tsung didn't already do better.

Scorpion doesn't even REMOTELY resemble the guy he was even two games ago, much less in the beginning. But he's a cool fucking character. Do you remember when Smoke was just Scorpion in grey? LITERALLY, just Scorpion in grey. Was he a cool character? Yes, because he was fucking Scorpion in grey. Then he was Scorpion AND Sektor in blue and he was lame. Then he was. . . well, whatever he was in Deception and he was even lamer. Now he's a long haired demon avatar Naruto reject from Sweden and he's awesome again.

Sheeva is one of two non-humanoid females in the entire series, one of maybe 3 total characters with strength based powers, and the only one with four arms (until now) who has ever been playable. She's got more selling points than almost the entire remaining rainbow of UMK3 ninjas put together and if she wasn't shit tier and generally unpleasant to use in MK9, she'd be way more popular and relevant.
No, the selling point is whatever the developers want it to be, since they're, you know, the ones doing the selling. Jax's selling point is indeed that he's black; he's the first and most enduring black character in the series. The big metal arms (which he debuted first, another point in his favor) are just the icing on top. And no, selling points are important because this is a commercial product.

Quan Chi and Shang Tsung are both sorcerers, yes. Magic isn't some kind of unshakeable trademark in Mortal Kombat, but whatever. Quan's always been a completely different character. Redesigns don't matter; plenty of secondary MK characters have gotten redesigns. And being playable in 3 of 5 games is a far cry from "being shoved down throats".

Scorpion is still the same Scorpion, don't lie. He's still the yellow-clad, vengeful demon ninja with the spear and the Toasty.

Smoke's current design isn't really anything special. He's got a bunch of teleport moves and a thick head of white hair. Big. Hairy. Deal. And it took them several games to get to that point; you really think Sheeva is suddenly gonna be good in one game? No. Do we NEED a female counterpart to Goro? We don't have one for any of the other main characters but we need a 3rd Shokan character because why?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
@Sharpedo Ted

I dunno, kano is suddenly good in one game. At least he looks the part.

why is it bad that we get a female Shokan? Outworld races are cool as heck, and we need some of the other realms in on this too.

The problem and solution with Sheeva is that she's pretty much a blank slate. All people really recognize is her four arms, telestomp and her grabs. There's a lot of room to change her identity.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
guys goros variations are goro , sheeva , kintaro !!!! :DOGE i can dream
I'll be so pissed if NRS doesn't have at least one character that is just 3 characters with one for each variation.

The Sisterhood, the Shokan, the Tekunin, all can easily be done this way.

Hell going off of this:

I wouldn't at all mind a "goon" set with three different styles, which would also make good story mode cannon fodder so we don't see fucking Goro jobbing it up like four times to every hero, or Reptile getting bodied in the first or second fight of the game.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Do we NEED a female counterpart to Goro? We don't have one for any of the other main characters but we need a 3rd Shokan character because why?
Define main, because if you ask me, Subs is a major character and he had female counterpart, same goes to Reptile. Then we have thematically close characters like Lao/Kang and Raiden/Fujin.

I personally, would totally have her over whatever Nightwing wannabe we're being threatened with :p

For the record, Sheeva isn't going to be "fleshed out in just one game", she's around since 3.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Define main, because if you ask me, Subs is a major character and he had female counterpart, same goes to Reptile. Then we have thematically close characters like Lao/Kang and Raiden/Fujin.

I personally, would totally have her over whatever Nightwing wannabe we're being threatened with :p

For the record, Sheeva isn't going to be "fleshed out in just one game", she's around since 3.
Being around since 3 doesn't mean anything when you've only been in literally 2 games story-wise, and one just because they needed everyone to be playable.

Do you know how easy, how ridiculously simple, how not hard at all it would be to write any MK character into MKX and give them some sort of significance or character building?

Stop this bullshit way of thinking where you can't allow characters with nothing to get something.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Do you know how easy, how ridiculously simple, how not hard at all it would be to write any MK character into MKX and give them some sort of significance or character building?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic here, but this task is definitely easier than creating new characters, and as far as I can tell, NRS are doing just fine with the latter.

Stop this bullshit way of thinking where you can't allow characters with nothing to get something.
Erm?.. Can you rephrase please?

Sheeva is one of two non-humanoid females in the entire series, one of maybe 3 total characters with strength based powers, and the only one (until now) who has ever been playable. She's got more selling points than almost the entire remaining rainbow of UMK3 ninjas put together and if she wasn't shit tier and generally unpleasant to use in MK9, she'd be way more popular and relevant.
This is coming from the same website that demonizes and makes fun of characters like Hsu Hao, Dairou, Kobra, Darrius, etc. Don't you think those characters have potential too? Kappa. And don't act like Jax being black isn't a selling point. If race, creed, gender, etc. weren't truly a selling point, then noone would say they identify with Black Panther or Static, Cyborg wouldn't be on the J League, and the new Ms. Marvel wouldn't be as popular if she weren't a Muslim. So yes, Jax being black DOES matter to people, and is a selling point to the character.

And what are you talking about? Scorpion is practically THE EXACT same guy he was : a vengeful dude full of hate spouting get over here tossing spears and slicing heads. Literally nothing has changed bar his appearance, which is still iconic and still yellow and still has a mask.
I severely hope Sheeva isn't in the game. And yes, Sheeva's whole schtick was a female Goro, whose already in the game.

Even if two characters share 90% of things in common theres so much room for diversion in play styles and moves that it's downright silly.

Like the young martial artist master Shaolin monks that are both descendants of the greatest mortal kombat champion and were trained by the same people at the same time.
AND that's where the variation system comes in. This is a case of just because you can doesn't mean you should. Imagine if this game had Cassie Cage, Sonya, Stryker, all in this game. Sure, they could all be different like Stryker could use an M9 beretta and cassie could use a M1911 or something, but why would you do that when you can expand to other characters in the game. Now I think Stryker is a complete fucking badass in a kind of campy sort of way : he doesn't fit into the situation AT ALL and seems ill equipped to take on sorcerers and demons and shit armed with a pistol, taser and some grenades, yet still handles business, but I can completely empathize why people wouldn't want him in this game. I hope Sheeva isn't in this game. Her main selling point is a female Goro, and we already have Goro playable, so she becomes moot to me imo.