What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn "Death Comes to All" - Who will main Outworld's Best Emperor?

GGA Max

Wanted to get some Kotal convo's going with my fellow mains. Some people I saw who might main him:
@Pterodactyl
@Killphil
@Eldriken
@Mr Aquaman
@GGA Fill Pops
@N1k0lasss
@anyone else

Feel free to introduce yourself, what type of player you are, your mk9 or IGAU main characters.

What do you like about Kotal best?

What variation do you see yourselves using first/most?

How do you think he'll play?

Did Mr Aquaman suggest the name Kotal Kahn Kommunity? :DOGE

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
What type of player you are
I'm big on spacing, reading, mind games, set-ups, taunting, and all forms of grimy play. I'm not above doing arguably "non-optimal" combos for the sake of looking cool.

I love big, slow, high damage characters(especially grapplers). Feels good when you land those giant ass hits and your opponent's health leaves chunks at a time.

I also love offensive zoners/trappers just as much, characters who can hang back and have things popping off, and work well at mid range space control, but can also get funky up close.

Balls-out rushdown is my third favorite.

your mk9 or IGAU main characters.
MK9: Sektor, Baraka, Shang Tsung, Jax. (Sheeva, Cyber-Sub, Human Cyrax)

Injustice: Lex Luthor, Doomsday, Grundy, Cyborg.

There are few things I don't like about him.

War God.

While i'm a sucker for grapplers, the idea of knocking someone halfway across the screen with a giant crazy Aztec sword-paddle is really satisfying. The range and damage on it shown so far are beautiful too.

Can't really say at the moment, hard to tell.

GGA Max

I love big, slow, high damage characters(especially grapplers). Feels good when you land those giant ass hits and your opponent's health leaves chunks at a time.

There are few things I don't like about him.

War God.

While i'm a sucker for grapplers, the idea of knocking someone halfway across the screen with a giant crazy Aztec sword-paddle is really satisfying. The range and damage on it shown so far are beautiful too.
My first impression of him was that he was going to be slow and clunky. I really dislike that in characters but I am sort of looking past that for now. What do you dislike? I also am looking at War God as my #1 variation because of extra range with the Macuahuitl.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Feel free to introduce yourself, what type of player you are, your mk9 or IGAU main characters.

I won't main him, but I'll probably fish around for tech. I'm a tech monster who enjoys maining characters who set up traps. If the opponent guesses wrong, its all a fun little game to me where I chuckle about how they are slowly hanging themselves. MK9 I mained Cyrax, Injustice I mained Bane.

That overhead slam is the sex. I'm literally tech fishing because of that move alone.

Sun God, probably exclusively but I might dabble in anything that isn't "thats a paddlin'" stance.

Rush down, huge amounts of pressure but lacking a truly safe defensive measure to get himself out of trouble.

GGA Max

Rush down, huge amounts of pressure but lacking a truly safe defensive measure to get himself out of trouble.
We will see how he uses his grab, if tick throws are possible. Or what his mixups are. I haven't seen him launch with anything other than the rising fist thing (which is almost certainly hella negative).

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
We will see how he uses his grab, if tick throws are possible. Or what his mixups are. I haven't seen him launch with anything other than the rising fist thing (which is almost certainly hella negative).
Define "hella". Punishable, yeah you'd have a good likelyhood of that being the case. Its not like... Ring Toss bad though.
Also grab immunity may or may not be a problem depending on certain things. I don't think War God even has a command grab.

GGA Max

Define "hella". Punishable, yeah you'd have a good likelyhood of that being the case. Its not like... Ring Toss bad though.
Also grab immunity may or may not be a problem depending on certain things. I don't think War God even has a command grab.
Actually his common specials are:
Grab
Sun beam
Shield toss
Parry
Chest slice

Which reminds me, a good strategy against zoning could be to use the sun beam. He can regain health while dodging projectiles.

The Highlander

There can be only one
I won't commit to maining anyone right now but he is definitely up there on my list along with cassie and sub-zero and d'vorah, and kitana. I do have to say though that his level three grab in sun god is one of the coolest moves in the game so far.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Killphil, or Phil. I consider myself an average injustice player but above average mortal kombat player. I'm pretty straightforward in my gameplay, but I will occasionally mess around with set ups too. I mained Ermac in MK9 and Harley in IGAU.

I like his command throw in Sun God. I don't have full details on the characters because I don't pay as much attention and don't watch the streams though. I also like his big pappa pump launcher. :)

Sun God.
Sun God sounds more set up based, as you need to power up your command throws to deal more damage in your combos. I don't know anything else about the variation though, as apparently Sun Beam is a common special and not specific to this variation.

War God gives more range possibly on some attacks that aren't specials, and a huge, bane sized projectile that looks like it hits multiple times.

Blood God is the totem one right? (I may have these two mixed up) I have no input on this one, as I don't know what specifically the totems do.

KingOko

Was it good for you?
Wats good my fellow Kotal Khan mains. I would say I am a real 50/50, wake up oki pressure type of player. In mk9 I play solely Mileena (with a lil Sonya on the side) and I really like to set up 50/50 situations using a whiffed telekick or roll. Transition to injustice where I wanted to main Grundy, but I was just so bad at the game when it released that I couldn't play him and instead played Killer Frost...but eventually went back and solely main Grundy now.

I love Kotal's grab. It is sexy lol. Just like Grundy, I feel like it's gonna be very fulfilling to land it haha. I'm honestly REAL interested in his totem variation. The mysterious-ness about it is real intriguing too, but imma check all of them out.

Idk how he's gonna play. My guess is rush down grappler, which would be tight. If Mileenas not in the game, I'll be 100% devoted to Kotal, but if she is, ooo forget it.

Which reminds me, a good strategy against zoning could be to use the sun beam. He can regain health while dodging projectiles
Thats a cool idea man. I never thought of that haha

MK 9 and I:GAU Characters.

MK 9: Ermac, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Johnny Cage
I:GAU: Ares, Bane, Raven

I like a bit of a variety to the characters I play, but I generally gravitate towards heavy hitters and, quite honestly, mid to low tiers. I just get a bigger sense of accomplishment from playing them and don't feel like I'm taking the easy way out by tier whoring. Sure, The Cagemeister and Mi Amigo did end up being pretty high on their tier lists, but I didn't play nearly as well as someone like Dizzy or Max here would and they were a lot of fun to play as, so yeah.

From the moment I first saw him I was immediately intrigued. I mean, initially he was only in the game's reveal trailer briefly, so there was a lot of mystique to him (for me, at least). Then as we started seeing more of him, I was hooked. He seems like my kinda guy. Big, brutal and hit's like a truck.

What I like most about Kotal, though, is his character. The whole regal Aztec god-emperor schtick has me the most hyped I've been for a character in over a decade. He also just seems like on brutal motherfucker. Well spoken, dignified and regal yet at the same time not afraid to get barbaric, gritty and savage.

As it shows beneath my avatar, I see myself using the Blood God variation the most. I just like the idea of having Kotal's fundamental strings available while being able to manipulate the flow of the fight in my favor with his totems. I'm sure there would be a lot of neat set-ups I can figure out that can get me a lot of health back, set up a huge amount of defense or lay on an even thicker layer of offense.

I think he'll be kinda hard to get used to. I mean, all new characters are, right? Honestly though, I have a feeling he'll be mid-tier at best. From what we've seen in his gameplay, he looks like a high risk-high reward character. He gives off a very Ares vibe for me. Who knows though, I could be completely wrong and he may end up being completely broken. Whatever the outcome, I'll be sticking it out with him while keeping Ermac as a secondary. Gotta have that character loyalty.