What's new

CYRAX Patch changes.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
When you guys say the chest saw is now an overhead, do you mean it has a new animation? or does it still look the same with new properties?
same move, they just have to block high now, block low and it will still hit you

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Someone said that his first skin has not got the chest saw buff, they both do, and they both overhead.

123 Chestsaw will be safe against certain characters. And IMO, it runs no more risk than sub zero doing a 212slide or 22slide on block. And subs slide will whiff worse than the saw will now. Put it in that perspective.

Also, the en chest saw us also overhead, so the opponent can't crouch block it, in that instance where you use it fullscreen to kill of the opponent, and every cyrax player has done that at least once...
123 saw will be safe yeah, but if you're going for chip 121 df3 has been safe since day one, i just dont see it doing anything the other moves dont have covered already, ill go into training with ryan tommorow to find out what exactly can and cant punish it

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
123 saw will be safe yeah, but if you're going for chip 121 df3 has been safe since day one, i just dont see it doing anything the other moves dont have covered already, ill go into training with ryan tommorow to find out what exactly can and cant punish it
121 reverse kick has always been safe yea, but if you land 123 chest saw on certain characters, you might get the over for 8%.

Tony-T, the animation is the same, it just breaks crouch blocks, it has more recovery now.

Me, along with ketchup and mustard are going to see who cyrax can safly use 123 chest saw on, of course people will pop into thus conversation and scream about how unsafe it is, I've had a certain someone do that in the chest saw buff thread I made, and that same person I've seen miss punishments on elbow dashes, spins and nomad dashes. So on reaction, you might get away with it on certain cast.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
121 reverse kick has always been safe yea, but if you land 123 chest saw on certain characters, you might get the over for 8%.

Tony-T, the animation is the same, it just breaks crouch blocks, it has more recovery now.

Me, along with ketchup and mustard are going to see who cyrax can safly use 123 chest saw on, of course people will pop into thus conversation and scream about how unsafe it is, I've had a certain someone do that in the chest saw buff thread I made, and that same person I've seen miss punishments on elbow dashes, spins and nomad dashes. So on reaction, you might get away with it on certain cast.
well right off the bat any character with a charge will be able to punish it, nightwolf baraka etc, maybe characters with a fast normal, mileena d4, sektor b1, if its open to a full combo then its really not a helpful 'buff' :')

UsedForGlue

well right off the bat any character with a charge will be able to punish it, nightwolf baraka etc, maybe characters with a fast normal, mileena d4, sektor b1, if its open to a full combo then its really not a helpful 'buff' :')
From skimming over the select screen, it looks the punishment is fast special moves. So a jump forward on reaction will let cyrax recover in time.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
If your doing 123~chestsaw as a poke, cant the 3 out of 123 be ducked? and if the 3 can be ducked, wont the chestsaw not come out since the 3 is wiffed?

spin4u

Noob
Tested some things out.
123 saw is just a full combo punish because they can duck the 3 like TT said.
121 saw is very good and does more chip damage than 121 reverse kik,
121 saw is safe on chars like sektor, kano, shang,noob. have not tried it on raiden, mil, reptile
d4+ saw is safe from a certain distance on certain chars so far.

What I notice is that when I do the things i just said the saw goes out then retracts back in fast. it doesn't stay out there like before on a open saw. I think it leaves them on a stun or stagger because kano couldnt upball punish at all. I was able to block it freely.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
after using the buzzsaw as much as possible i found it best used for.

its a great tool on block, it only seems punishable to characters with quick, dashing specials, so its a great tool to end a blockstring with to give yourself some space, as opposed to before being forced to end everything with an overhead kick to make it safe and ending right in their face, d4-saw is great as it gives the most distance, and requires quick low to high blocking, 3-saw is good as the first 3 in the 33 string is a mid, making both attacks uncrouchable.

really loving this improved tool :)

TONY-T

Mad scientist

its a great tool on block, it only seems punishable to characters with quick, dashing specials, so its a great tool to end a blockstring with to give yourself some space, as opposed to before being forced to end everything with an overhead kick to make it safe and ending right in their face, d4-saw is great as it gives the most distance, and requires quick low to high blocking, 3-saw is good as the first 3 in the 33 string is a mid, making both attacks uncrouchable.

Good stuff my man! Looking foward to testing this out.

UsedForGlue

I was laughed out of my thread about it for asking Paulo to make it an overhead months and months ago. Il just say it once, I told you so :) I fucking love it.

People who have not played Cyrax since mk3 and are not fans of him won't understand how much this special having a use means to us. He is perfect right now and it is the best iteration of Cyrax in an mk game yet, ascetically he is perfect thanks to this chest saw fix. It's a result for long time Cyrax fans.

I was a fan of Cyrax before I was ever able to understand how to play the game right (when I was 12), so this chest saw fix means allot to me as a fan, I am sure other hardcore longtime Cyrax fans will agree.

Infact, I like it on block more than on hit, as it is the most ascetically cool move in the game.

Was Cyrax's wake up improved or what?

I played a Cyrax yesterday and it felt like he was untouchable on wake up. Even without meter, my attacks completely whiffed all the time and I lost flat out. I don't recall that happening to me pre-patch.

Both his air throw and his teleport seem better. Maybe it's just me..

EDIT: I think it's a universal thing. I just read they made wake up attacks more invincible if they are done in the earliest frames. So it's probably the same for everyone.

spin4u

Noob
I dunno about you guys but D4+saw after a knock down into a bomb is the best way to insure a bomb trap rather than doing 3,3 on there wake up. Would you guys agree?
Since his resets got take away whats the best you try to make a bomb trap. I normally use U4, med bomb, f+2 or 121 med bomb~net.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
I was laughed out of my thread about it for asking Paulo to make it an overhead months and months ago. Il just say it once, I told you so :) I fucking love it.

People who have not played Cyrax since mk3 and are not fans of him won't understand how much this special having a use means to us. He is perfect right now and it is the best iteration of Cyrax in an mk game yet, ascetically he is perfect thanks to this chest saw fix. It's a result for long time Cyrax fans.

I was a fan of Cyrax before I was ever able to understand how to play the game right (when I was 12), so this chest saw fix means allot to me as a fan, I am sure other hardcore longtime Cyrax fans will agree.

Infact, I like it on block more than on hit, as it is the most ascetically cool move in the game.
Stop getting in my head and talking for me! :top:

Yeah, now we can all say that as a character he's perfect and in need of no further changing.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Was Cyrax's wake up improved or what?

I played a Cyrax yesterday and it felt like he was untouchable on wake up. Even without meter, my attacks completely whiffed all the time and I lost flat out. I don't recall that happening to me pre-patch.

Both his air throw and his teleport seem better. Maybe it's just me..

EDIT: I think it's a universal thing. I just read they made wake up attacks more invincible if they are done in the earliest frames. So it's probably the same for everyone.
it might be a result of the universal wakeup change, beforehand his anti air was a good wakeup to literally escape pressure, but even then down 4's/3's would beat it if timed correctly, everything else was just unreliable, but given wakeups as a whole are better now i can see it making cyrax's better yeah

I think Cyrax got hit a bit harder than people realize through indirect nerfs.

For one, the chest saw buff isn't that great imo due to the fact that cyrax never suffered from lack of high options but instead of lack of low options, which is still true. I'll have to play with it more I guess, but I can't see this really helping that much against any competent players.

The jump in punch advantage reduction is huge since Cyrax relies heavily on command throw set-ups in place of lows (again, imo).

Some of the other resets were also taken out, like the basic ex bomb medium bomb dash 3 is now back roll techable as well instead of just wake-upable. On the same subject, the overall wake up improvement game hurts cyraxs bomb setups reliability that are based on knockdowns.

He's still playable and all, I just think NRS really beat the shit out of this character compared to Lau who somehow still got buffed in the patch? Go figure.

Shins

Noob
Am I the ONLY one here to mourn the loss of cyrax's buzzsaw reset combos? And I dont mean that fact that they are resets, nor the damage that they deal, but the way they looked so damn awesome. Its really a shame they had to be removed. Why couldnt they simply make the buzzsaw onto medium bomb as a true combo that would be subject to damage scaling. AND additionally reduce the damage of the entire combo anyway? To something that would only hit around 55%? Those combos should NOT have been removed, for aesthetic purposes. Now cyrax will look and play like a bland character with a boring bnb combo.
I am not pleased

spin4u

Noob
Now cyrax will look and play like a bland character with a boring bnb combo.
I am not pleased
Didn't know a simple 56% 1 bar which beats a 3rd of the cast still after what 3 patches? is boring...
I agree with TT on simple resets dont work.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I think Cyrax got hit a bit harder than people realize through indirect nerfs.

For one, the chest saw buff isn't that great imo due to the fact that cyrax never suffered from lack of high options but instead of lack of low options, which is still true. I'll have to play with it more I guess, but I can't see this really helping that much against any competent players.

The jump in punch advantage reduction is huge since Cyrax relies heavily on command throw set-ups in place of lows (again, imo).

Some of the other resets were also taken out, like the basic ex bomb medium bomb dash 3 is now back roll techable as well instead of just wake-upable. On the same subject, the overall wake up improvement game hurts cyraxs bomb setups reliability that are based on knockdowns.

He's still playable and all, I just think NRS really beat the shit out of this character compared to Lau who somehow still got buffed in the patch? Go figure.
nah i wouldn't say he got nerfed tbh, the buzz saw gives him the space on block he could never get before, you can actually put them outside of harms way with the saw which helps against certain characters, i haven't noticed any change in the non exploit resets, all of mine have still been working, and the jump in command grab still works, its just not as reliable, you can still do it after blocked strings etc.