What's new

critique the jade matchup

leek

Noob
Hey guys. hoping I could get some advice on this match. Not sure how I'm supposed to approach it so I do the basics.

PLEASE keep in mind I was not on my top game tonight(thechad even said I usually do way better and could tell I was off) and it's online. The lag between us is very small, but it still obviously effects us.

Skip to 7:22, this is just online casuals, I'm not trying to prove anything and definitely not by this footage lol. The rest of the matches are bad for me imo.. I did terrible tonight <_< enough rambling

7:23

also, there are obvious mistakes, like full screen nut punch. That was from the previous match with cage against iaf kitana.
and i always buffer the input a few times during the combo.

EDIT: oh and let this be a testemant to being able to poke out of his strings. It works, people. I'm sure being online plays a role into this, but our lag was unnoticeable tonight to be honest.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I only watched your match against Jade. You did pretty well man :)

The few things that I don't like are:

1) EX forceballs from the distance. Obviously against Jade that doesn't work, maybe you inputted it by mistake

2) F3,2xxnutpunch. I think we (Johnny Cage players) have to forget the habit of cancelling f3,2 into nutpunch...we know that doesn't work anymore but sometimes we still use it :/ I don't know why Jade didn't block nutpunch in some occasions.

3) Too many naked nutpunches. This is just a personal critic, I believe it's too risky to use nutpunch so often...

4) Pressure. Another personal critic: I don't think your pressure is really effective. Imho you should use more the 21 string, exforceballs and poke more in between your strings....btw I know you aren't playing at your best and every player has his own style, so don't take my critics too seriously :p

About Jade's matchup:

The best advice I can give you is too glue her face to your punch. Don't let her go, no matter what...but pay attention to her EXglow. I like to use EXforceballs to jail her when I see she is stand blocking, and dash block if she tries to zone me till she reaches the corner.
Don't throw projectiles from the distance because are totally useless against her and you will be easily punished.
You can punish her green kicks by ducking, and the overhead staff is also easily punishable.
This matchup doesn't look particularly hard, I think it is 6-4 Cage.

You probably already knew all the advices I wrote about this matchup lol

leek

Noob
I only watched you match against Jade. You did pretty well man :)

The few things that I don't like are:

1) EX forceballs from the distance. Obviously against Jade that doesn't work, maybe you inputted it by mistake

2) F3,2xxnutpunch. I think we (Johnny Cage players) have to forget the habit of cancelling f3,2 into nutpunch...we know that doesn't work anymore but sometimes we still use it :/ I don't know why Jade didn't block nutpunch in some occasions.

3) Too many naked nutpunches. This is just a personal critic, I believe it's too risky to use nutpunch so often...

4) Pressure. Another personal critic: I don't think your pressure is really effective. Imho you should use more the 21 string, exforceballs and poke more in between your strings....btw I know you aren't playing at your best and every player has his own style, so don't take my critics too seriously :p

About Jade's matchup:

The best advice I can give you is too glue her face to your punch. Don't let her go, no matter what...but pay attention to her EXglow. I like to use EXforceballs to jail her when I see she is stand blocking, and dash block if she tries to zone me till she reaches the corner.
Don't throw projectiles from the distance because are totally useless against her and you will be easily punished.
You can punish her green kicks by ducking, and the overhead staff is also easily punishable.
This matchup doesn't look particularly hard, I think it is 6-4 Cage.

You probably already knew all the advices I wrote about this matchup lol
yeah It's just getting used to Jade. The person I'm playing against got ALOT better with her so I can't throw anything, which I always throw a projectile on kockdown to check at mid-fullscreen.

I haven't played much on 1.05 yet. So F32 nut punch is still in my muscle memory.. that was my entire pressure game lol. Not literally, but a huge part of it :(

naked nut punches were me getting frustrated. I would never do that offline, me and him we're bullshitting on the mics and I was just raging at him so I kept trying.

21 is neutral and I try with it. But I just get poked out. Probably just need to mix up between 21, and 21F2 more often.

I know about the flash kicks, but I can't do it. Same with overhead, I just get hit no matter what. It's the fact that I know the game and how it works, I just have HUGE issues working it into my game. I'd be good at commentating, not so great at playing at majors. I think that goes with most everyone though.

ADHD running in the family doesn't help with trying to concentrate on keeping my head on straight lol. But thanks for the advice.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Try mixing your stringd up a bit more, you seem to always finish ur strings. He shouldnt be able to tell if hes gonna be getting hit by F3/F33/F33B3 or F32, more pokes, but against anybody other than CSZ you only really need 1 poke at a time (his D4 is sick)

When the back 3 from F33B3 hits just go for another F3 once they fear that then you can start jumping all over them.

If you really wanna try you can AA her overhead staff with 11

and obviously the naked nutpunches lol, but you already know that :p

leek

Noob
Try mixing your stringd up a bit more, you seem to always finish ur strings. He shouldnt be able to tell if hes gonna be getting hit by F3/F33/F33B3 or F32, more pokes, but against anybody other than CSZ you only really need 1 poke at a time (his D4 is sick)

When the back 3 from F33B3 hits just go for another F3 once they fear that then you can start jumping all over them.

If you really wanna try you can AA her overhead staff with 11

and obviously the naked nutpunches lol, but you already know that :p
I would try but my friend knows the match and pokes everything. And yeah i know lol.. thanks for the advice.

leek

Noob
Which? Where I tried jump-in punch to nut punch but got D1 nutpunch instead? Or where I got uppercutted out of the nut punch? Either way I don't know lmfao..

sLeeK

Noob
Which? Where I tried jump-in punch to nut punch but got D1 nutpunch instead? Or where I got uppercutted out of the nut punch? Either way I don't know lmfao..
both, LOL my jaw hit the floor when I saw that. Silly hit boxes =\

I've officially watched that part 5+ times.

sLeeK

Noob
Nice cage btw, something to add after you hit a nutpunch and if you're low on meter use 11 11 11(I believe if you hit a total of 9 1, 1's on block you get 1 bar.) if timed right it makes VERY difficult to jump out of and if they try to jump back at the wrong time you can then go into another combo reset. I use it very often and man is it awesome.

leek

Noob
Nice cage btw, something to add after you hit a nutpunch and if you're low on meter use 11 11 11(I believe if you hit a total of 9 1, 1's on block you get 1 bar.) if timed right it makes VERY difficult to jump out of and if they try to jump back at the wrong time you can then go into another combo reset. I use it very often and man is it awesome.
lol you have no idea. Me and TheChad tested it about 2 months back to see if it's an infinite, you just have to duck :/ So he knows about it.. but Yeah I usually will do 2-3 11's and build a little meter as well as 6% chip.

leek

Noob
I'm positive that it's not a bug...Johnny Cage doesn't have full armor on EX shadow kick anymore.
I got hit out of EX shadow kick at the end of the animation 5 times yesterday
yeah we talked about it on the other thread lol. It wasn't me that posted - keep that in mind

sLeeK

Noob
lol you have no idea. Me and TheChad tested it about 2 months back to see if it's an infinite, you just have to duck :/ So he knows about it.. but Yeah I usually will do 2-3 11's and build a little meter as well as 6% chip.
Forgot to add they can block low lol but that's when the over heads come out :D

I love cage man. The part that makes cage so fun to use is when you're facing an opponent who doesn't know how to get out of cages pressure and they stand there constantly trying to uppercut you/poke you out and they just keep eating nut punches LOL It is even more rewarding when you beat high caliber player's with him.

leek

Noob
Forgot to add they can block low lol but that's when the over heads come out :D

I love cage man. The part that makes cage so fun to use is when you're facing an opponent who doesn't know how to get out of cages pressure and they stand there constantly trying to uppercut you/poke you out and they just keep eating nut punches LOL It is even more rewarding when you beat high caliber player's with him.
That's my problem though :/ everyone I play against knows what to do against him and I lost matches because I only get about 2-3 strings of pressure twice a round in on someone ..

sLeeK

Noob
Yeah that's where it gets tough because you have to make the proper reads, if they get in the habit of jumping over you NJP~combo of choice/uppercut and if they like jumping away you can catch them with a 1 then go into another reset. I'm no cage pro, but try mixing in more throw's so you condition them into trying to mash out of a throw and then BAM you hit him with another nutpunch. D+4 for footies dash F+3,2 etc. works well too.

leek

Noob
Yeah that's where it gets tough because you have to make the proper reads, if they get in the habit of jumping over you NJP~combo of choice/uppercut and if they like jumping away you can catch the with a 1 then go into another reset. I'm no cage pro, but try mixing in more throw's so you condition them into trying to mash out of a throw and then BAM you hit him with another nutpunch. D+4 for footies dash F+3,2 etc. works well too. Easier said then done lol

Medinas reptile was giving me trouble the other day, but I pulled through.
Again, I know how the game works I just can't implement it :/ Like I know I COULD go for that but my ability to read while I'm playing is so terrible compared to when I'm watching a match in real time. If I came off like a jerk there it wasn't meant, but I could see how it could seem that way..

anyways. I forget about the throw when I get used to poking in between. Then I'll forget about the ex forceball when I get used to poking and throwing. Then I'll forget about poking because I'll go for F4 11 11 11 F4 reset and continue on pressuring.. only to be poked because I forget about ex nut punch to stop the poke.

So really it just comes down to my focus and short term memory loss basically lol.

sLeeK

Noob
Again, I know how the game works I just can't implement it :/ Like I know I COULD go for that but my ability to read while I'm playing is so terrible compared to when I'm watching a match in real time. If I came off like a jerk there it wasn't meant, but I could see how it could seem that way..

anyways. I forget about the throw when I get used to poking in between. Then I'll forget about the ex forceball when I get used to poking and throwing. Then I'll forget about poking because I'll go for F4 11 11 11 F4 reset and continue on pressuring.. only to be poked because I forget about ex nut punch to stop the poke.

So really it just comes down to my focus and short term memory loss basically lol.
No no no it's all good. After writing that I was thinking to myself, "he probably already knows that" LOL but I decided to type it up any way. I have been trying to find a way to contribute to this site by helping out other people because all I have done is asked for help. I want to start helping other people like others have helped me.

about the second part of your reply, I started cracking up because unfortunately I'm the same way.. LOL

leek

Noob
No no no it's all good. After writing that I was thinking to myself, "he probably already knows that" LOL but I decided to type it up any way. I have been trying to find a way to contribute to this site by helping out other people because all I have done is asked for help. I want to start helping other people like others have helped me.

about the second part of your reply, I started cracking up because unfortunately I'm the same way.. LOL
I'm feeling the same.

Feel like such a bum :jerkoff:

TheChad_87

Bad Reputation
Just so everyone knows, I didn't record every match and the ones from the video aren't necessarily in the order they were played. He played Cage v Kitana about 4 times in a row before this match and I'm fairly certain the Nut Punches were carry over from that. These were obviously not very competitive matches as we were goofing off most of the time, talking shit and whatnot on the mic.

But, we both thought this last one was a pretty good match.

And to anyone saying you can't poke out of Cage's strings ... Ummmm, what? It's not always easy, but it's definitely possible.

leek

Noob
Ok guys, had a much better day yesterday. Me, TheChad_87 and DanCock messing around online...

here are all the best matches of the night. But really I just want you to skip to 8:10 and watch until 19:40

I pull off a few nice clutches at the end(refer to 17:52) and my pressure was on it yesterday. The rest of the matches are Dan and chad playing kitana, sindel, cyrax, jade and mileena, and i pull out kung lao at the end. (day one lao, just starting to use him. Didn't even know his bnbs in the match at the time LOL..)

I'd appreciate it if I could get some more advice as these matches are a little more showing in how I play. Don't mention the high fireballs against sindel and kitana.. I know it's an issue, I'm getting greedy with knocking them out. It should be a little more random and way less often. I still ex-shadow kick too often, too.