What's new

Consistency vs Difficult/High Damage

Consistency vs Diffucult/High Damage combos

• Total voters

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
4u4 lol wtf is that? And I said "no combo is hard in this game if you practice it."

If you can't hit them consistently its on you bro.
Point proven.
How can you say something is possible if you practice it when you don't evenknow what im refering to? Meh who cares...

The Power Is Mine Bitches...

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
it depends really, if the only barrier is solely execution, then practice practice practice until you get it completely down so you can never fuck it up, however, if you are shortening your combo for other reasons, like for example positioning or a reset or a set up, then it is definitely worth giving up the damage for. hell if i wanted to i could learn all of lashers bigger combos, hell i can do them just not consistently, however i dont really care about them for one simple reason, my current bnb gives me AMAZING positioning and it gives me so many options after the combo is over that the damage i left on the table doesnt even matter anymore, i gave it up for a better cause.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Obvious choice is consistency. Obviously you want high damage, but as others have said if you can't land it, what is the point? And sometimes just because you practice a combo religiously doesn't mean you'll be able to do it consistently. Sadly it doesn't always work like that. There are just some combos that you gotta be some kind of execution god to land on a regular basis. lol That doesn't mean you shouldn't try however. Not all combos are at that level of difficulty, and can be practiced and mastered. But sometimes it's based on the individual.

I know of a friend back in the MK9 days, he'd spend all day learning big high damage combos, while another friend learned very simple bnbs. The two fought each other in the game. The one with the easy simple combos won the set. Big combo guy lost not really because he was outplayed, but because he kept dropping his big giant combos in the heat of the moment.

Your best bet, is to learn combos that you can do consistently, and evolve your combos as you get more accustomed to the game. Run combos for example are generally difficult for new comers in MKX to grasp, but they got way easier for me to the point that it became second nature. And as I got more used to the system, my combos damage and scale increased over time, as well as set ups. But yes consistency is the most important over anything else.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Depends what level you are playing at!

If you are playing between intermediate and high level go for consistency over damage

But if you are playing High - Major level you really need to optimise that to the highest practical damage and be comfortable with it. Because around that level the littlest detail could mean the Gold

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Consistency, consistency, consistency. Optimal > Optimized.

I cannot stress it enough. Worst feeling in the world is when you're stretching your damage and then you drop your combo and get punished for it.

As the title says this thread is to discuss if you should go for high damage or consistency in combos or anything this applies too.

Please leave a reason why.

As we all know most fighting games and some characters have some combos or whatever that can be really,really execution heavy.
Whether it's timing,inputs, or both it can get really hard to do consistent.

Discuss if you should go with Consistency or Difficult/High Damage Combos.

What if you practice a Difficult combos a lot will it ever become consistent? Muscle Memory?

I will leave a poll for voting.

Oh... And grab some popcorn because it's about to get guud.
If you care about winning, it is all about consistency. If you go into a tournament match and go for a combo that you KNOW you can't land consistently, your an idiot. It sounds offensive but it is true. If you only land a certain combo like 2% of the time in practice mode what makes you think you can land it in a tournament? It's silly.

In casuals/single player/practice mode and etc. Difficult combos are alright. Do whatever you want actually. Because you don't have anything to lose trying to go for them.

It all comes down to confidence really. look at honeybee and his dvora. Hes got those 1 frame links DOWN. Or foxy grandpa and his kung lao (this guy always goes for 44 after hat). I also think it depends on weather or not you main or second the character. If its a secondary character, you may only go for simpler things because you dont wanna put the time in the lab because you will primarily play with your main. I main dvora and my secondary is kung lao. I hardly ever go for 44 after hat unless i think its going to kill him. I normally do things like f23 hat f23 spin. Much easier to do and you still get a decent chunk of dmg meterless (29%). With dvora I always go for max dmg cuz of my confidence with her.

kaseyk

Noob
Consistency. Always.

Where's that ESL match where Liu Kang lost because he tried to do end a combo in a max damage d2 instead of just doing 11?

I'm sick of watching good players drop combos all over the place. Getting max damage off a combo is rarely important. If the amount of damage you get off a combo is the most important factor then Blood God would be S+ tier.

If professional basketball players dropped passes as often as professional MKX players dropped combos, nobody would watch basketball.
Worst part of missing the d2 finish is that it is the most consistent if it missed best option was nothing or d1 because everything else would be punished.

one of lk player's biggest problem is not using or sticking to bnb ultra consistent combos im guilty of it too lol

Consistent is always best most characters in mkx have reliable high dmg tech that once you have it down no problem to execute nearly 100% like kitana or Tanya .

Others like lk can get an easy 39% corner 1 bar high advantage bnb or go for the f44-fbrc-113-iafbx3 or more and miss it 90% plus get punished for missing and losing out on 20% dmg on top of that .
No Brainer no matter how skilled you are if you are playing to win .

Numbskull727

happiness is a warm gun
I only go for extra damage if it will end the round, otherwise I'm going for consistency.
Reptile's njp after the dash in his combos is tough online (even more so when you're invisible) but I rather try to win with 1 touch instead of 2 if possible.
If I drop it, well I was going to have to hit them again anyway.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I feel like consistency v. difficulty is something of a false equivalence. I believe that if you wish to play this game (or any fighter) at something resembling a high level, then 'difficulty' should not even be an issue. A combo's overall difficulty is ultimately the subjective, transient balance between how much practice the combo takes to get down, and how much practice has been you have already put in. After enough practice, even the most difficult of combos to get down becomes easy.

Consistency/Inconsistency is another matter all together. A combo that is 'inconsistent' is a combo that has objective, unpredictable issues such as random whiffing, incosisntent juggle heights, problems connecting on different characters' hitboxes that are not easily accounted for, etc...

Combos that have issues with consistency that no amount of practice can solve for, or combos that require an obscene amount of practice and/or retention of knowledge (i.e. let us imagine a combo that required different timing against every single character in the game) should generally not be performed in crunch time situations, nor should much time be spent practicing such combos, unless you are trying to be particularly swaggy at the possible expense of winning the game.

kaseyk

Noob
The vote should leave out low damage from the option because that implies the consistent is bad .

There have been plenty of combos that are just to difficult to land when it matters in every fg which the good players just take right out of their playbook like one would with a shitty normal .

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
You can make hard combos consistent.

I used to do double uppercut combos with Rain online in MK9 as bnbs.

It's all relative to your execution as a player.
I agree. If I just picked up a character then I go for the quick BnB's first.

Then if a kombo really is that hard, you kan interchange between them depending on how good you feel your execution is on that day.
I know some days I would be playing on a tv with slight lag and it would throw me off when I returned to the Asus or BenQ's...

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
It depends on the game and the characters you are playing, as well as the setting (offline casuals, online, tournament or money matches, warm ups vs no warm ups in those settings etc.)

A "baseline" damage drop of 3-4% is ok when you are picking up a character you really want to play. However, when practicing with those characters you should practice the harder stuff every now and then, just for shits and giggles. Don't beat yourself up if you can't land them. One day you go on practice mode and you just magically land the max damage stuff and you finally get the timing. Now you have choice, depending on your general preparedness to play at that time and the setting you are playing in, you can pre-determine what you are going to do. Maybe go for the ez stuff if you are not really feeling yourself, maybe try the harder stuff, but revert back to the basic bnb's if you drop a harder combo... or just try to land the harder combos anyway if you don't care about the outcome of the match.

For tournament play combos there are variables to consider. You might be listed for 2 different games, even if not you might have to jump into a game with cold hands. The screen you use at home might have lag but the tournament organizers got lagless monitors or the other way around, if you rely on a visual cue more (usually the case) instead of an audio cue to time your combos properly then this can mess up your timing. If you haven't had a chance to play casuals at the venue before your tournament matches then even the ez-mode bnb's can take some time getting used to.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
4u4 lol wtf is that? And I said "no combo is hard in this game if you practice it."

If you can't hit them consistently its on you bro.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Jacqui's 4u4.It's kinda of a hard move but it only takes practice.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Jacqui's 4u4.It's kinda of a hard move but it only takes practice.
Even with practice I still wouldn't call combos with this move a Bnb until they change the timing of it, it's probably the most ridiculous input for a Normal or string in the game and feels 10x worse than Lao 112124