What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I don't think any variation of Kano does particularly bad against Scorpion in any variation. I could see it being dead even in the long run, dealing with his knives is much easier offline, it's easy to let constant on line sets influence a match up but I remember the last time we played at HoG it was much easier to teleport knives when I was on point.

Footsie wise can sometimes boil down to a war of D4's but I'd give the edge to Kano here as he has better things to follow it up with. I would say Cut Throat gives Scorpion the most trouble though, and I prefer Hellfire vs any Kano variation.

I would never pick Inferno for Kano, he doesn't have to give a shit about minions, can punish low minion anywhere on screen and in cut throat you're going to be eating huge damage. A blocked mid or OH minion means he's in your grill and it's party time. Definitely a Ninjutusu or HF in my opinion.
We need to play at Rival Scenes then because I would never pick Kano at least against Inferno, maybe it's easier against Hellfire.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
This might have been discussed but f4 choke is safe on whiff and you can apply your parry/MB grab mind games afterwards.

Tagging fellow knee enthusiast @FlappyDaniel

EDIT: My math and frame knowledge is severely hindered by the fact that I've worked 3 night shifts in a row.

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Commando vs scorpion is horrible. I can see cutthroat or cyber handling it better since they can oki/zone but haven't tried it. Still learning the match up but the whiff issues makes the match up complicated cause you can only rely on your mids. Basically it comes down to forcing teleports and punishing them which commando doesn't do as hard as the other two.
In fairness, Commando punishes it just as hard as Cybernetic does.

@JTB123 what do you think of the Commando-Hellfire MU? Haven't really made my mind up about it.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
In fairness, Commando punishes it just as hard as Cybernetic does.

@JTB123 what do you think of the Commando-Hellfire MU? Haven't really made my mind up about it.
At this point I'd say that's even but maybe ever so slightly in Scorps favour, that's a match up I want to play more with you as well. I still think Commando is a tad under rated, his parries are so damn good if you use them right and once your opponent fears them it's party time for Commando. Vice versa once your opponent fears Command grabs and wants to press buttons it's party time for parries.

Flame aura punishing parries could be a problem though, I doubt many characters have a fool proof way to take 30% meterless regardless of which parry is whiffed.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Does he? Cybernetic puts you fullscreen, Commando puts you right in front of them with a hard knockdown.
cyber likes the full screen and has good corner carry in which case he can end with restand for pressure/mix up. His corner damage is nice nowadays. Commando oki midscreen is meh tbh

What are people doing online with b312 in the corner. Are you doing b31 and hit confirming the 2 to launch, or doing b312 and blocking reversals and counter pokes?

ando1184

Noob
I found a decent use for 321+3 MB, during a crossover jump 4. Crossover jump 4 allows you to hit confirm, so if they blocked it you have enough time to quickly input command grab for a tic setup but if they got hit, Kano lands and recovers fast enough to do 321+3 for a full combo. I'm still only getting 32% for 1 bar but that's better than a plain 16-17% right? Have you guys come up with anything off this or anything else?

I have trouble hit confirming the 2 in B312. Online its impossible and offline you really have to be on your game. I like to do B31 xx EX ball.. because its a special you get way more time to hit confirm.. downside is that you are using a bar for only a coupl more %.. but its way easier to hitconfirm.

I found a decent use for 321+3 MB, during a crossover jump 4. Crossover jump 4 allows you to hit confirm, so if they blocked it you have enough time to quickly input command grab for a tic setup but if they got hit, Kano lands and recovers fast enough to do 321+3 for a full combo. I'm still only getting 32% for 1 bar but that's better than a plain 16-17% right? Have you guys come up with anything off this or anything else?
Yeah.. you have to think you spend 1 ex bar for 14 extra % + more corner carry + better oki. I only use it if I need to side switch. For example I'll do strings like d3 then 32 and hit confirm the 1+3.. if blocked you either cancel into choke or do 32 again

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I do something similar already with JI1 crossover and it commbos into 112xxBall which gets you 22%. Good to know JI4 works for this too.

Mix-Up CJ

@MIxUp_CJ
Ok, I can't record, so I'll have to use words. If you start in training room, take a small step forward so Kano's foot is on the edge of the star, the tip of a D4 will catch a successful jumping 3. 10% damage, pretty useless.

However, a jumping 4 hits behind and can cross up on the way down if done two steps in, with the back of Kano's front foot touching the star. (Go too far and he'll turn around in the air. You don't want this to happen). As the dummy gets hit, you can D1-choke for 18%.

So, that's shit right? Well...

You can cross over tick. Block the kick, you're at -1 and can grab, and on hit... you can grab them out of the air too!

It's gets better though. 32 also hits, and now that we have a meter burn option there could be scope for a lot of damage. JI4-32-1+3 already does 23%.

I'll admit, you've got to be pretty spot on with the spacing, but it is a mix up. Maybe somebody can do more with this?
That's very true. For the spacing, I found that if you do a b13 df2 on hit you're actually at the best position to do the cross over tick. The opponent will most definitely block after the knife hits and that makes landing the tick easier. I've tested it and the ji4 hits perfectly behind the opponent from this setup.

Also the opponent will be caught with the kick if they try to react when you're already in the air and like you said, the grab will still connect on hit!

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
I'm slow, I JUST noticed that MB Wood Chipper only does 11% damage while regular Wood Chipper does 18%. No wonder why his wood chipper combos are doing shit damage.

His scaling is annoying all round. 112-choke is 20%, ball-cancel-run-112-choke is....21%. Other characters (Lao, Pred, et al) get 30% off of an armoured starter for way less effort. They don't have to cancel their starter with down down and then go into a run cancel before connecting their first short range hit. All the player needs to do to score a 30% combo with Lao is to drop the controller in a tank of crickets and let the little buggers walk over the buttons.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
His scaling is annoying all round. 112-choke is 20%, ball-cancel-run-112-choke is....21%. Other characters (Lao, Pred, et al) get 30% off of an armoured starter for way less effort. They don't have to cancel their starter with down down and then go into a run cancel before connecting their first short range hit. All the player needs to do to score a 30% combo with Lao is to drop the controller in a tank of crickets and let the little buggers walk over the buttons.
To be honest they could change this early by making 32 on par with other variations (10% instead of 7%)

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Yeah this is so annoying. Should be 15% at least IMO.
Oh hell no, with how the other characters are being treated, Kano needs much better than that. Commando 32 NEEDS to do 10% like 32 in Cybernetic and Cutthroat, making Wood Chipper do 21%, and MB Wood Chipper needs to do that very same amount, allowing him to FINALLY get 40% midscreen like everyone else.

To be honest they could change this early by making 32 on par with other variations (10% instead of 7%)
They could do a lot of things, but they won't. Whiff issues, tick options, blah, blah, they won't be changed any time soon.

But then nobody plays Commando because they want an easy life. Commando players love pain.

In the words of Grey Fox: 'Hurt me more!'