What's new

Question Combo Notation - Which do you prefer?

ryublaze

Noob
Everyone on TYM has some sort of preference on how to read combos. Which do you prefer and why?

For example, Scorpion's BnB:
:fp, :fp, Spear, NJP, :l+:bp, jK, Teleport, jK, Air Throw

or

1, 1, Spear, NJP, B2, jk, Teleport, jk, Air Throw

or

1,1,BB1,NJP,B2,JK,DB3,JK,Air Throw

or any other preference

The second. It's easiest to read and translate directly to actions on your controller of choice, imo. I always have to sit and think about the FP/BP notation, despite knowing exactly what's what. Numbers are english to me and the other notation is like Spanish. i can read both just fine, but it takes me a few moments to really comprehend what's being said sometimes. I don't have that issue with the number system.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Also if a combo reverses inputs there is no need to writte in reverse, some ppl might not understand this, so saying teleport, 11 spear is much easier than saying: :d:l:fk, :fp:fp:r:r+:fp.

Noob:" WTH is this, scorp doesn't have a FF move! PTFFFF DAMN IT, REVERSES THE INPUTS!"

Goldi

Noob
I actually know strings by their in game names lol. Like, 1,1,1 is "torment" 1,1,4 is "damnation". Specials are always named. It takes me a short moment to identify a string by notations and kinda translate what exactly it would look like.

You can catch me mimicking the input gestures if you look at my fingers while we're talking about combos to help me turn names to numbers lol.

Limelights

"The smart stuff"
I prefer numbers and names for the special moves. I'm almost to the point where I can just read across a line and perform it on my controller simultaneously. When I read the classic arcade notation I have to stop and think.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
What i prefer is the:

11~Spear, NJP, B2, JK~Teleport, JK~Air Throw.

Name of the special is normal.
1234 rather than BP, FP, etc.
The " ~ " shows a special link.
Commas (,) show that there is a seperation in the string. We know 11 is the string and 1,1 is two seperated jabs.

Espio

Kokomo
I know them by numbers for example.

Stryker: Back 1, 2,2 (Beatdown).

Jade: 2,3, forward 2 (Bad girl).

What i prefer is the:

Commas (,) show that there is a seperation in the string. We know 11 is the string and 1,1 is two seperated jabs.
I like that with > to signify dashes. You don't always want to dash between strings, so it's important to differentiate imo.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Out of those 3, this makes the most sense to read to me. Using tekken notation it'd be

1 1 Spear, NJP, b2, jk teleport, jk air throw

You use the comma to seperate when there is a pause in the string, otherwise its all done as one command. So "1, 1, Spear" would be 1 (pause) 1 (pause) spear (pause) while "1 1 spear" would be the string 1 1 cancelled into spear. The reason it isn't smushed all together like "111" or "214" is because strings that use simultaneous presses become really hard to read. For example KL's string "2 4 1+2:2" becomes "241+2:2" which is really hard to read at a glance.

This becomes important with things like Cage doing either 1, 1 or the 1 1 string.

In MK there isn't much used for advanced notation though so it usually isn't a problem though, so its not a big deal.

What i prefer is the:

I don't like using ~ like that because it is a common notion for slide input a.k.a. "plinking" in the SF world. Cancels in 2d games are normally noted by xx. But with numerical notion for buttons people use commas to seperate whether the next move is liked or canceled. If there is a comma it is a link, if there isn't its a cancel.

Take for example raiden:
f2 4, superman (this is a link)
f2 3 EX Shocker (this is a cancel)

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I'm more comfortable with the numbers, but I don't mind the :fp :bp and what not. I eventually had to memorize what the symbols meant, since UFG's guides use them.