What's new

CHOMP CHOMP HISS! - The Reptile Matchup Thread

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Isn't it possible to get a 32 FB starter after a roll? Also, I don't have enough experience against EX roll, but is it punishable or safe on block?
Yes, you can punish a blocked roll with 32 FB. I'd advise going into the trainer and putting her on wakeup to practice it. I'm not sure about her EX roll, it has a weird animation; it seems to hit mid in the start up animation...so if you're near her you've gotta block it low but if you avoid the start up animation by distancing her then it's still a high. Pretty strange.

I'm curious though, how do you make Kano come to you? If you duck his knives, he can Ball you unless you read the timing right and hit block in time. If you don't duck his knives, you take tons of chip damage. My strategy against Kano has more or less always been to get in close, since it's so annoying to be at full screen against him. I guess baiting a Ball qualifies as making him come to you?

I'd love to learn whatever I could for this matchup.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Getting a life lead is the best way to get him to come to you. After that, just get full-screen, then duck all day lol. Reptile is one of the few characters Reptile can't just go in and upball all day. Baiting any sort of ball is a good thing. If he's dumb enough to do a non-up ball to get you off of crouch, he will get hit hard for it.

GNG Iniquity

After that, just get full-screen, then duck all day lol.
I don't advise doing that, simply because he's going to knife spam. Doing so is just going to let him build meter freely.An EX knife can still hit you crouched as well. He's going to throw a random horizontal ball in there and it's pretty difficult to react to and block since he's going to throw it out randomly between the barrage of knives.

I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with Kano's zoning. I'm gonna try just block dashing in there later, I'm thinking the best way to deal with it is to just eat his knives and get back in there. If he reacts with his x-ray you can easily jump it, if he reacts with the up ball you can punish it, if he reacts with the F3+B2 you can block low and punish it.

However, he could whiff an air ball/horizontal ball and start zoning you yet again, but I don't think most Kano players know to explore this option.

THTB

Yes, he can EX knife, but it's easy enough to see coming from the distance you wanna be at. And yes, he can random horizontal ball, but remember the risk is NOT in his favor whatsoever, especially from that range. Trick you can do...crouch block then let go of block if a regular knife is thrown. Once it passes, go back to block.

Blockdashing doesn't work too well because with Reptile it is too slow. And whiffing an air ball is dangerous against Reptile because of dash.

GNG Iniquity

Both very good points, I'll start incorporating the block release in my games; hadn't even thought of that but it's smart!

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Charged ex force ball keeps mileena's reaction ground roll in check, I've had normal force ball beat the roll also but only from long range. EX charged ball is also good for stopping her teleport kick. Having meter for that stuff is important in that match. Also try ending all BnB combos with a slow ex ball instead of slide. You'll sacrifice 3% damage for free pressure on wake up that even when blocked will do more than the 3% anyway. Also watch for her low hitbox on crouching 4, it goes onder 3 and jumping 1/2 easily. You'll want to mostly pressure with d+4 xx hand and stuff like d+3 f+2 b+1.

Also don't rely on ex ball up close cause her wake up roll beats it. If close try to bait the wake up with a d+3 and grab if she wakes up blocking.

I really don't have much experience vs liu, kung and cyrax. I need to learn those matchups for myself.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
The Kano matchup is seriously really bad.

We've been practicing all morning against it, since I think Aris is going to use him against me in top 8 of Revelations today, and there's NO way that I can choose Reptile. That seriously feels like an unwinnable matchup.

Scoot Magee

I played against a good kano for the first time the other day. From what I experienced zoning from afar was not a good idea. In my experience I wanted to stay close and rush him down. After a knockdown I would not pressure from up close, I'd get a ball on screen and pressure form behind it. Like I said in the other post, if you manage to land any type of BnB cancel the last hit of 321 into a slow ex ball and go in on him. I think thats your best bet against kano.

BATTLEBEAR

NJ Jobber
Chris G doing great Against JTCircus. Great Experience for the reptile kano matchup going on right now........

EDIT** He beat him. Made Kano look free

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
That was a great match. Can't wait for the grand finals.

EDIT: Wow, chris won. Feels good to see a reptile win a major. Definitely going to study his playing style and learn all I can from the sub and kano matchups.

Kwon

---->----
Guessing the Reptile-players are rejoicing now after what Chris G did to Tom Brady!

Quite the Master with the timing of those Elbows!

Reptile has a better matchup against Sub than a lot of people do, but all the same he doesn't have a teleport so it can get tricky. 50/50 imo, POSSIBLY 60/40 in Reptile's favour. What happened today was just ChrisG outreading and outplaying Tom Brady, though.

Scoot Magee

Reptile has a better matchup against Sub than a lot of people do, but all the same he doesn't have a teleport so it can get tricky. 50/50 imo, POSSIBLY 60/40 in Reptile's favour. What happened today was just ChrisG outreading and outplaying Tom Brady, though.
Teleport to escape the corner right? That is a weakness reptile has but it's extremely hard to corner a good reptile, even with sub zero. Reptile is extremely good at keeping sub zero out, he has safe trades against his freeze with fast force ball and an early acid spit. EX freeze is the only thing you have to watch out for from long range aside form subs x ray. Even then acid sit completely stuffs it when times correctly. On top of that he can rush sub zero down. If you get past subs clone and get in close he'll have a really hard time getting you off of him.

I played a ton of the sub vs rep match. I agree it's most likely 5/5 maybe even 6/4. they both have a ton of tools to use on eachother. If sub does get you in the corner though it's problems.

THTB

Yeah, it's not too bad...just in Sub's favor.

Chef, Kano vs Reptile is probably 5/5 or 6/4 Kano. Yes, Kano can just knife and there's not much you can do other than jump over, but Kano can't use upball shenanigans. If it's blocked, he gets knocked down...even for Kano, that's not a position he wants to be in. Once Reptile's in, Kano's gonna have trouble. Dash 100% keeps Kano in check.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Yes, you can punish a blocked roll with 32 FB. I'd advise going into the trainer and putting her on wakeup to practice it. I'm not sure about her EX roll, it has a weird animation; it seems to hit mid in the start up animation...so if you're near her you've gotta block it low but if you avoid the start up animation by distancing her then it's still a high. Pretty strange.

You never have to block low vs either of her rolls. EX or Regular.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Oh, I meant you have to block her EX high; my bad. The EX will hit you mid in the start up animation.

Ah, gotcha. The EX slowball dash in front works extremely well if they are teleport happy. She'll connect with the forceball everytime.

Oh, I meant you have to block her EX high; my bad. The EX will hit you mid in the start up animation.
there's very little mileena can hit low though.

i think B3 and B4 are like her only 2 low attacks and they're slow as hell, so you know exactly when to low block. her sweep takes about a decade to come out.

if roll hit low then mileena would be godlike.

GNG Iniquity

Ah, gotcha. The EX slowball dash in front works extremely well if they are teleport happy. She'll connect with the forceball everytime.
Yeah, I can see where she's weak I just never actually play Mileena players, rarely see 'em online which is weird. So I usually get creamed there because I'm unfamilar with her lol. These tips certainly help, though!