What's new

Character Reveal slow pace a bad sign?

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I feel they should just reveal the cast . Knowing who's in hurts nothing .
Day 1 there will be full story , all fatalities vids on YouTube . Marketing 101 my ass lol .
you can make a case even that pre paid dlc should be disclosed .
Everyone on tym is buying mkx and dlc characters regardless of who's in but by the time the game drops everyone with the exception of big bad / final boss should be revealed .

It hurts marketing because it reveals everything and information starts to become a trickle. This happened with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 where the 8 new characters were leaked and everyone just was waiting for reveal trailers. There wasn't the excitement of speculation and finally getting to see which characters would make it, it was just "oh, that's cool, I wanna see the gameplay now". I feel like there would have been an explosion of excitement for Phoenix Wright if you just saw one day a gameplay trailer over knowing he was in and waiting a couple months to see how he played.

Last edited:

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I always have this little notion in the back of my head that REO is the person behind every account like this for some reason just to see errbody get mad
lol...I'm 32 year old, gay white male, 5'8, 170 lbs. I main Kitana, Sindel, and Rain in mk9 and Wonder woman in Injustice and my favorite bands are Shania Twain and Ace of base. I don't know this REo person but from the pics I've seen of him front paged here I don't think we are similar except for the fact that we like MK. I mean...I duno I could be wrong.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
I swear some of you are like drug addicts... If you have never done drugs or alcohol please don't because with the personally traits you have you will become hard core addicts....
If they reveal another one then what you want another soon enough... Then once you are looking in deep dark corners of the net for leaks minutes before they are on major sites then what... The game comes out and you are making crazy conclusions and digging through code for even the slightest hint of hidden characters or dlc...
Then what.. You will be musing about another dlc pack or super secret triple probation characters...
You don't enjoy the game if you can't wait for the game and get the feeling of discover and awe from it you are just a junkie who has worked yourself up over knowing things you don't need to if you aren't...

Also if you think this time period has any negative effect on marketing...stop being silly you know very little about marketing trends...
If by the time the game comes out a week before and a week after it is not ramped up and at its peak then yeah... But We of all companies is fine with marketing strategy... You need not worry...

Last edited:

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
lol...I'm 32 year old, gay white male, 5'8, 170 lbs. I main Kitana, Sindel, and Rain in mk9 and Wonder woman in Injustice and my favorite bands are Shania Twain and Ace of base. I don't know this REo person but from the pics I've seen of him front paged here I don't think we are similar except for the fact that we like MK. I mean...I duno I could be wrong.
Goddamn gays they're everywhere now. I blame Obama :DOGE

kaseyk

Noob
It hurts marketing because it reveals everything and information starts to become a trickle. This happened with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 where the 8 new characters were leaked and everyone just was waiting for reveal trailers. There was the excitement of speculation and finally getting to see which characters would make it, it was just "oh, that's cool, I wanna see the gameplay now". I feel like there would have been an explosion of excitement for Phoenix Wright if you just saw one day a gameplay trailer over knowing he was in and waiting a couple months to see how he played.
This was quite a few years back but they did a study on spoilers and whether or not they effected a persons enjoyment ( they used a movie not a game ). it did but not what most expected . the results were overwhelmingly in favor of those that knew the spoilers do to them getting excited by the build up to the moment .
i'd say a good example for that in mkx would be mileena not being announced ( most expect here in ) but if she were announced the effect of excitemrnt and anticipation those that want here back would get which seem to be alot would be far greater then they would have gotten from not knowing t ill day 1 .
It doesn't matter really which way they choose to go with reveals it's going to make a ton of money and I'm playing that shit literally the second its released lol

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
This was quite a few years back but they did a study on spoilers and whether or not they effected a persons enjoyment ( they used a movie not a game ). it did but not what most expected . the results were overwhelmingly in favor of those that knew the spoilers do to them getting excited by the build up to the moment .
i'd say a good example for that in mkx would be mileena not being announced ( most expect here in ) but if she were announced the effect of excitemrnt and anticipation those that want here back would get which seem to be alot would be far greater then they would have gotten from not knowing t ill day 1 .
It doesn't matter really which way they choose to go with reveals it's going to make a ton of money and I'm playing that shit literally the second its released lol
The comparison would be okay if it was just story mode and nobody cared about anything else...but with movies there is one thing to know...what happened...thats all...and if you like it you want to see it...
with the game its who is in, whats the story, what do they look like, how do the play ....stuff you cant know until you play with them...
Yeah leak s will happen a ton of times its on purpose...its free advertising and most time you get a list of names and some eh pics...it generates news with no effort and does not give most of what the fanbase wants to know away...
But in regards to marketing its a week before /after that has the most effect on the general consumer...so we are not close to that yet...everything now is for us really and gamers who pay a lot of attention activly to games but maybe not this one...

Montanx

Thats why they call this thing bloodsport, kid.
I would like faster reveals as well but im not calling it some deep mystical conspiracy or that the game isnt ready or whatever. Its just simply how the marketing team is choosing to market, nothing more or less. They are more than thrilled with the state of their game and we will be too. Not everything has some deep meaning behind it.

Shania Twain

Im trying to understand the op here. are you just wanting us to acknowledge that a leak can happen?
I just think they are waiting to show grand stuff and then they may wait too long and then there is a leak and then boon tweets how disappointed he is. and then at the same time it makes the reveals the devs have planned less exciting. I just feel like they need to show more mind blowing stuff or give us more than just 45 minute combo variation. I mean. what if their grand boss is this super exciting surprise and they wait to show it two weeks before but because a leak happens it will not happen in a nearly exciting way. I mean...I'm fine with hype and build up. I mean...think of how exciting it was to see the first trailer of sub and scorp. even if it wasn't gameplay. think of how exciting the kitana kung lao trailer was. I mean...I'm definitely not one to want to have the game spoiled but goodness...only 14 characters have been revealed. let's just assumed that is half the roster at least. we are six weeks away from release. i'm just ready to be a lot more blown away than I am.

trufenix

bye felicia
I just think they are waiting to show grand stuff and then they may wait too long and then there is a leak and then boon tweets how disappointed he is. and then at the same time it makes the reveals the devs have planned less exciting. I just feel like they need to show more mind blowing stuff or give us more than just 45 minute combo variation. I mean. what if their grand boss is this super exciting surprise and they wait to show it two weeks before but because a leak happens it will not happen in a nearly exciting way. I mean...I'm fine with hype and build up. I mean...think of how exciting it was to see the first trailer of sub and scorp. even if it wasn't gameplay. think of how exciting the kitana kung lao trailer was. I mean...I'm definitely not one to want to have the game spoiled but goodness...only 14 characters have been revealed. let's just assumed that is half the roster at least. we are six weeks away from release. i'm just ready to be a lot more blown away than I am.
MK9's entire cast, story mode dialogue, and challenge tower contents were leaked a full month before release. That game sold millions. There is literally nothing to worry about.

Shania Twain

MK9's entire cast, story mode dialogue, and challenge tower contents were leaked a full month before release. That game sold millions. There is literally nothing to worry about.
ugh...I know this. I've already said that. i'm pretty sure the devs would be super mad if this happens though. Anyway, I get it. I'm hated at the moment for bringing it up.

trufenix

bye felicia
ugh...I know this. I've already said that. i'm pretty sure the devs would be super mad if this happens though. Anyway, I get it. I'm hated at the moment for bringing it up.
You (and others) are acting like a leak matters in any significant way to them. It does not. Disappointment is whatever, but the marketing dollars have been spent, the exclusive contracts have been signed, the trailers have been planned out. Nothing (positive or negative) is going to change any of that. This is not an unscheduled delay, or any sort of bad sign, its just WB working the viral marketing playbook to the bone. And its working, so they aren't going to stop.

Shania Twain

You (and others) are acting like a leak matters in any significant way to them. It does not. Disappointment is whatever, but the marketing dollars have been spent, the exclusive contracts have been signed, the trailers have been planned out. Nothing (positive or negative) is going to change any of that. This is not an unscheduled delay, or any sort of bad sign, its just WB working the viral marketing playbook to the bone. And its working, so they aren't going to stop.
it does actually. I could post Reiko's alternate outfit for the game right now and it would totally derail their brutality teaser which would mess their grand plans up. so anyway...yeah...it does matter to them.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
The character reveals are IMO going way to slow. They did this with MK9 and it pretty much hurt them because the entire roster and even renders were leaked with a front page news search nearly a month before the game debuted. It makes me wonder if either there isn't much left to show and/or the same thing will happen or something to that nature. I also feel like this could mean their pre-order incentives not really being shown is hurting as well. I mean, maybe they are selling like hot cakes and don't need to but from my experience pre-order stuff is almost always available in my area or nearby for nearly every game the day before still. I mean, I'm fine with them not showing everything and keeping the hype up but it still feels like there is a tremendous amount not yet revealed yet.
I wonder if Disney not releasing more info on the new Star Wars movie and what happens at the end will hurt it

They probably haven't because they don't know how to end the movie or haven't finished writing the script

trufenix

bye felicia
it does actually. I could post Reiko's alternate outfit for the game right now and it would totally derail their brutality teaser which would mess their grand plans up. so anyway...yeah...it does matter to them.
See you say that but there's no actual evidence. So you post an alternate online, so you post a small video clip of someone playing a character, so what. Do preorders slow down? Do less than 30k tune in for the next stream? Does IGN ask for the money they paid for their exclusive reveal trailer back? Does anything negative actually happen? No.

You can't provide me one shred of actual proof that a leak damaged a game in the slightest (except maybe Hot Coffee from San Andreas). I can provide you with countless examples of really big shit that got leaked for games that went on to sell big and scored critical acclaim.

Don't read into sad texts and facebook posts so much. Triple A games have next to nothing to fear from leaks.

Shania Twain

ugh...just nevermind it all. everyone keeps putting words into my mouth. or making analogies or comments that have nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Slymind

Noob
To each his own, i too think that so far it has been really slow, but, not because the lack of stuff to show, but simply because they don't feel like revealing stuff.

I just hope they don't delay enough to see the entire thing leaked before officially revealed.

the pace of the character revealing is fine also
Deathstroke will be revealed as last guest character shortly before the release and every casual player will be like
"hell no" lol

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
I know I'm the minority on this one. But I personally don't like reveals or anything. I mean I'll watch because they are being presented and as long as I'm associated with social media I will see it regardless. But I like the days when the game had secrets. You actually had to "play" the game in order to find out things about the game. Not basically have the entire game spoiled way before you get your hands on it.

SLy

Noob
Actually The amount of content they've shown us thus far in short amounts of time has been amazing. People have been comparing to SFV lately but up until charlie, They havent revealed anything in 2 months. While NRS is giving us something to talk about every week.

I think your patience is thinning as the time winds down. Cant blame you though. I've caught myself wanting more from time to time and didnt realize how much I already had. We'll be iiight.