What's new

Can we get a consensus on Character/Variation Lock rules?

How should counterpicking be handled?

• Winner can change variation if loser changes character, W. picks variation before L. picks variation

Votes: 77 27.8%
  • Winner can change variation if loser changes character, W. picks variation before L. pick char.

Votes: 20 7.2%
  • Winner is not variation locked if loser changes variation and/or character.

Votes: 36 13.0%
  • Winner is character/variation locked no matter what loser does.

Votes: 144 52.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
As a preliminary vote, for now I'm in favor for: Winner full lock if Loser doesn't switch character. Winner character lock (can change variation) if Loser does switch character.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
It's solved for ESL but not the community as a whole and rules do change. Adding to OP when I get the chance.
I agree it's not solved once and for all but surely for the time being this is the strategy to follow? The devs surely had some input into the rules of the game, possibly the testers too, and this is the format they hit on. In time sure that might not be how the game evolves, but similarly, MKX may end up being 3/5 instead of 2/3. For now, I'd argue there's a ruleset to go on, even if it's only till Evo or so

SGX

Noob
ESL is also best of 1 match for preseason. That's not a great precedent.

Also, there wouldn't need to be all that much communication/judge involvement for unlock. If loser goes to the character select screen, that tells the winner they can change variations. It should be on the loser to choose their character and then wait for winner to pick variation before they pick theirs.. If they don't wait/don't care, then that's their fault.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
I agree it's not solved once and for all but surely for the time being this is the strategy to follow? The devs surely had some input into the rules of the game, possibly the testers too, and this is the format they hit on. In time sure that might not be how the game evolves, but similarly, MKX may end up being 3/5 instead of 2/3. For now, I'd argue there's a ruleset to go on, even if it's only till Evo or so
For the time being? How long is that? A couple months? Half a year? Eventually too much time will pass and competitors/T.O.'s will just go with the rule they've had in place for the past few months. Post Evo I feel is too late to begin exploring other options, we should be running variation unlock ASAP so that we can start deciding which oltion to go with after Evo. The devs also said last Kombat Kast that variation lock was "for the community to decide", right now full lock is easiest for everyone so it's just as possible they could've just went with the rule that everyone knows and is comfortable with.

King Kong

Banned
Learn To Adapt
The only sure thing about life is that nothing stays the same. Change is coming whether it’s tomorrow, next month, or next year. Some life changes are significantly sad. Allow a period of grieving. Sometimes, setting a daily time to be sad about the change can help. Acceptance of a situation helps you to adapt positively to life’s changes. Take up the challenge of seeing the positive in a situation, even if it is a small good. Think of the experience as an opportunity rather than an untenable obstacle.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Didn't @colt come into this thread and say that the dinosaurs of "lock it all" need to learn to adapt and use this God tier variation system they are giving us?

Why is this topic still raging on?

Also LOL at anyone quoting fucking ESL rules as the go to....

@SaltShaker Heeeeeeelllllpppp

Didn't @colt come into this thread and say that the dinosaurs of "lock it all" need to learn to adapt and use this God tier variation system they are giving us?

Why is this topic still raging on?

Also LOL at anyone quoting fucking ESL rules as the go to....

@SaltShaker Heeeeeeelllllpppp
Nope, he's said this
https://twitter.com/pakostevens/status/580141712170823680

"imo variations should be treated as characters but ppl should play the game b4 trying to set arbitrary rules."

And then he posted in this thread to say everyone should just use random select.

To me the variations is almost like Ultra 1 Ultra 2 in Street Fighter. So Char Lock Yeah No Problem But variation Lock Even if my opponent changes char or variations just is gtfoh..

sIllverback

Lin Kuei Grandmaster
The release tournament at Nerd Palace (little place in South Jersey, maybe some of you have heard of it) has decided to use these rules:

1. Winner has FULL lock (char./vari.) if the loser changes variation for their same character.
2. Winner has CHARACTER (can change variation) lock if the loser changes to a completely different character.

Now in case #2, the question of who has to select first was never mentioned, but I'd say winner can wait until they see the character, but has to pick variation before the loser.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
well see what gets adopted after this sat at ELS. I feel like variations should be treated like ultras in USF4. you pick the one you need per match-up. characters the same as its always been loser can change whatever. winner stays same character and var. the real question is how many rounds and or match played for a set.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
well see what gets adopted after this sat at ELS. I feel like variations should be treated like ultras in USF4. you pick the one you need per match-up. characters the same as its always been loser can change whatever. winner stays same character and var. the real question is how many rounds and or match played for a set.

If you want to treat them like ultras then that means variation unlock when loser changes character as winner can change their ultra if loser changes character but has to pick their ultra first.

Things like rounds and 2/3 or 3/5 need to wait til the game is played competitively as we have no idea what the speed of matches are. It made sense for Injustice because life bars don't reset between rounds so MKX should have longer matches than IGAU.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Time to wade back into this fucking disaster of a thread.

Now that we have a pretty significant chunk of prerelease footage to go off, has anyone got any opinions based on this game? If I hear about Arcana or Melty again I'm going to punch someone in the throat.

Personally, I'm feeling uncomfortable with anything but locked variation at this point due to the inconsistency in variation changes. Some characters are appearing pretty homogenous across their three, while others are showing they play almost completely different in at least one variation and in a few cases all three are pretty much entirely different characters. Whether that's going to pan out to anything significant (some variations may turn out to be hopeless garbage, for example) is still entirely up in the air, but since characters don't seem to have an equally broad set of options full lock looks safer to me at this point.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I'm for variation unlock only because it will totally benefit my character lol.

Still think variation lock would be best for everyone.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Time to wade back into this fucking disaster of a thread.

Now that we have a pretty significant chunk of prerelease footage to go off, has anyone got any opinions based on this game? If I hear about Arcana or Melty again I'm going to punch someone in the throat.

As long as people don't bring up "full lock is how it's always been and works".

My mind remains unchanged, I think variation unlock is a great way to reward character loyalty. If you want full lock for the opponent that just beat you then stick with your character, if the losing opponent is trying to hard counterpick you you can still play with the character you want and limit how bad the matchup is. Playing the game wasn't gonna change my mind as we've known for months that variations change little for some characters and a great deal for others.

Bilbo11

Noob
Who gets to decide? the community or some Official that doesn't play the game and just wants to make his tournament run easier...

declimax

extreme waifu
Some of these variations are so different they might as well be different characters entirely. When you give the winner the opportunity to counter pick you're giving them an enormous advantage that they definitely don't need. Locking the winner's variations isn't getting rid of the idea of variations entirely, I don't get why people are/were saying that. If anything, letting the winner switch has far more potential to make variations meaningless.

I also find it funny in those fighting games how both players are picking at same time. So if someone loses (maybe because enemy had stronger character against yours), loser should get advantage to choose who picks 1st.

All tho, you can hide as you are picking I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.